Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,327 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation (18732 Views)

6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation / CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's / A Company Didn't Accept My Resignation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by ajilegend(m): 2:10pm On Sep 28, 2022
gassbee:
no new firm wil wait for you for one full month talkless of good 3 months
Your contribution will make them wait or you pay them off.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by gassbee: 2:12pm On Sep 28, 2022
ajilegend:

Your contribution will make them wait or you pay them off.
u never dey ready to take d new job

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by dododawa1: 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2022
Your salary has LU LE.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by etrange: 2:15pm On Sep 28, 2022
dosage150:

Just referred to this , it should be 3 months notice , it is well

3 months? Was he a director? It's all about what the contract letter says. For many organizations, it would depend on the level of the person living. Something like two weeks for junior, a month for mid and 2 months for senior.

@OP, you'll get paid if you give the right notice. But your payment would likely be prorated to reflect how many days you worked in the pay period.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 28, 2022
dosage150:
I got a job in another company, which I am currently employed.

My start date for the next job is on 10-10-2022.
I have given my current employer my notice of resignation through the HR on 24-9-2022, stating that my last day of work will be on 4-10-2022.(Two weeks)

My colleague was telling me yesterday that the company will not pay me since they have seen my resignation letter.

I should have collected my salary and leave impromptu.

I have to be cleared from the company,that's why I gave them notice
Even though they treated me bad I want to end everything so we part ways peacefully

I can't wait for my salary because they pay on 15th of next month and I need to relax before taking up another job hence giving them notice for resignation.

NB: 1)I have been coming to work since that 24-10-2022
2) The HR have not approved my resignation
3) I worked from the 1-09-2022 till 4-10-2022

I believe that I should be paid

Please is there any reason why this company shouldn't pay me ?
How do I follow this up to know my stand, because if they won't pay me, no need coming to work or even giving them notice
Salary e ti lule
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by shegz24(m): 2:17pm On Sep 28, 2022
For a normal company, if you havent been employed for longer than a few months it should be 2weeks notice or at most 1month notice.

But in the end its all about what was written in your job acceptance letter you signed to.

If its 3months notice, that company is fraudulent and you shouldnt think twice before you ball out.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by bjtinz: 2:20pm On Sep 28, 2022
oluwaseyi0:
Any appointment letter expecting beyond one month is a fraud

Are you a comedian
This is how you know people who have never work a single day

So you mean if you get a job Jan 3rd you will tell you new employer to wait till April before you resume

It depends on the organization, which is clearly stated in thier appointment letters and manual

In mine they use a tier system, so CEO and directiors must give at least 3months, managrs 2mnths and other cadres are one month
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Hushbingo: 2:23pm On Sep 28, 2022
Hmm

Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by GboyegaD(m): 2:32pm On Sep 28, 2022
dosage150:

Are you not on probation if you only joined this September? You may want to walk into the HR department ti ask relevant questions.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by spiceadole: 2:39pm On Sep 28, 2022
dosage150:

I have given my current employer my notice of resignation through the HR on 24-9-2022, stating that my last day of work will be on 4-10-2022.(Two weeks)

My colleague was telling me yesterday that the company will not pay me since they have seen my resignation letter.

Even though they treated me bad I want to end everything so we part ways peacefully

I can't wait for my salary because they pay on 15th of next month and I need to relax before taking up another job hence giving them notice for resignation.

How do I follow this up to know my stand, because if they won't pay me, no need coming to work or even giving them notice

You should have been patient...collect your salary and disappear
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by tonyson010(m): 2:46pm On Sep 28, 2022
dosage150:

how can a company demand 3months quit notice for job then it means you are highly valued. one month notice is the maximum in healthcare....and perhaps in civil service too
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Ashirioluwa: 2:55pm On Sep 28, 2022
motta:
na so 2- 3 months for better company

It is mostly 2 weeks notice or 1 month. Anything above 1 month is unusual
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 28, 2022
oluwaseyi0:

Are you a comedian

So you mean if you get a job Jan 3rd you will tell you new employer to wait till April before you resume
In a sane environment, it's 3 months notice. There are organisations that when you get employed, you ll sign that they must not sack you anyhow or you leave them anyhow. You notify them with 3 months notice before resignation and they notify you with 3months before sacking/laying you off.
If you breach the agreement, they ll sue your ass and if they breach the agreement, you can hold their balls.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 28, 2022
Sweetplum:

In a sane environment, it's 3 months notice. There are organisations that when you get employed, you ll sign that they must not sack you anyhow or you leave them anyhow. You notify them with 3 months notice before resignation and they notify you with 3months before sacking/laying you off.
If you breach the agreement, they ll sue your ass and if they breach the agreement, you can hold their balls.
Not in Nigeria my dear. Nobody will hold anyone balls over here and over here they will even write it that if you can't abide with the one month notice you will pay them your basic salary and if they can't abide they will also pay you a full month ahead.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 28, 2022
JoshTheStoic:
Not in Nigeria my dear. Nobody will hold anyone balls over here and over here they will even write it that if you can't abide with the one month notice you will pay them your basic salary and if they can't abide they will also pay you a full month ahead.
You kuku see where I wrote sane environment.
Meanwhile, if you leave a school I know anyhow and them catch you, they ll disgrace you for some days at the police station. Cos na you go sign their employment letter with clauses.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 28, 2022
Sweetplum:

You kuku see where I wrote sane environment.
Meanwhile, if you leave a school I know anyhow and them catch you, they ll disgrace you for some days at the police station. Cos na you go sign their employment letter with clauses.
Nigeria no just dey sane jare, I left one and they collected leave allowance join, Nigerian companies just dey wicked and you only find one man business doing all this rubbish, exiting multinational is always peaceful
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by spencekat(m): 3:58pm On Sep 28, 2022
In my establishment,it is always a month notice .For managers,three months.Mind you without pay.That is a one man firm for you.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by alizma: 4:05pm On Sep 28, 2022
dosage150:

Usually it's one month if you have been there for more than the probation period which can be 3 or 6 months depending on what your offer letter says but two weeks if you are within probation period.
However, some companies will still pay you considering that you didn't quit without giving notice, secondly your commitment to your duties during your stay plus your relationship with management can also secure your salary even when you give short notice. There was a time I gave two days notice and still got paid.
Even though they told me I won't get shishi, I was still committed to discharging my duties even to the last minute.
They thought I was going to get angry or so when the HR said you will not be paid for this month, I went back to my desk and even increased my speed at work, to them it was like are you sure this guy will not come tomorrow but deep down inside me, I dey take that one do sent forth for them.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by spencekat(m): 4:05pm On Sep 28, 2022
Minjim:

This is very funny. How possible is it to give [/b]three months notice.[b]

They should just say they don't want an employee to quit

Where I work it's 1 month
In the place I am working,three months is for the managers.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Channel54: 4:20pm On Sep 28, 2022
Most of these companies breaches the term of contract,rather than paying monthly as stated in the offer letter,some pay a week after or 2 weeks after.

They started the breach,so u can as well do same, breaching terms pf contract is not exclusive to them alone.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by hmlsolo: 4:52pm On Sep 28, 2022
In most instances, whether it's indicated on your appointment letter or not. the normal notification for resignation is two weeks. two weeks is the ideal. If you fail to give two weeks notification prior to resignation, that's when the company has right to sanction you. But in your instance, you did the right thing. you'll be paid. nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by ejimatic: 4:55pm On Sep 28, 2022
OvertheTop:

what about the other benefits like:
leave Allowance, unused leave, terminal benefits, Gratuity(if long worked term)

will he forfeit that too?
. If it is not in the condition of service that there will be penalties forsudden resignation you should get all your entitlements!
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Alhajiemeritus: 4:59pm On Sep 28, 2022
Sweetplum:
At least 3 months in sane world. In schools, maybe a month.
But in Nigeria and especially private schools or organisations that sack at will, you too resign anyhow. Infact, you can stab them by resigning immediately after collecting salary.
Last Bullet
Why do I sound harsh?
Cos those organisations/schools are so harsh in sacking staff. I v seen schools that sacked teachers immediately without pay and it was at the end of the month when it wasn't recorded that the tutor stole.
And I v seen Chinese and Lebanese companies sacking people anyhow.
So...in Nigeria, it's jungle justice.
It is one month or you forgo the month's salary. Which one is 3 months?
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by sonnyokpe: 5:05pm On Sep 28, 2022
[quote author=dosage150 post=117072644]I got a job in another company, which I am currently employed.

From the information you have provided to have worked for only one month and 10 days between (1-09-2022 till 4-10-2022), you are most likely to be unconfirmed. The contract of employment that I am familiar with, both employer and employee could give two (2) weeks notice or in lieu of notice of disengagement. However, if your appointment was confirmed during this short time, then a minimum of one (1) month notice is sufficient or on the other hand a one month basic salary should be given to the company in lieu of notice
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by bdon123(m): 5:28pm On Sep 28, 2022
dosage150:

Notice period is not the same,check terms and conditions in your employment letter or any company Gazzette that gives details on procedure for resignation
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by Powersurge: 5:30pm On Sep 28, 2022
dosage150:

3 months notice dey ur letter u dey expect salary? U for don waka as your colleagues suggested. Na breach of contract e dt o. Thank God say Naija companies no dey pay well.

But wait o. Who gives 3 months notice? Orisirisi!
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by malaria(f): 6:12pm On Sep 28, 2022
If you were not given appointment letter, forger the resignation letter biko ..your resignation is maximum 1 months, minimum 2 weeks . A month if have stayed in the coy for a year and more all depending on your position sha. 6months under is just 2 weeks resignation. At worse u can do immediate resignation . It all depends on the way your management operates. Since you have gotten a new job already please collect your salary and quietly work away .
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by dosage150(m): 6:17pm On Sep 28, 2022
plantainbender:
Since na 3months notice dey your appointment letter, just forget salary.
Spoke with HR in the morning, she assured me of Sept salary
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by dosage150(m): 6:21pm On Sep 28, 2022
Redstubpen:
undecided

Na wa o. This life no balance o and people get lucky, see as Man like me they switch jobs for this same Naija and I am here rusting away,so much that the energy and steam is at an all time low.

Congrats Op cool...Someone should help with a job
We keep clapping for others till it gets to our turn ,it wasn't easy especially after 3 months of silence after the 3 interview stages
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by dosage150(m): 6:22pm On Sep 28, 2022
oluwaseyi0:
Any appointment letter expecting beyond one month is a fraud

Are you a comedian

Anything beyond a month is a fraud really
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by dosage150(m): 6:26pm On Sep 28, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
If you don't know then you cannot resign
very wicked man
Re: What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation by dosage150(m): 6:30pm On Sep 28, 2022
Sweetplum:
At least 3 months in sane world. In schools, maybe a month.
But in Nigeria and especially private schools or organisations that sack at will, you too resign anyhow. Infact, you can stab them by resigning immediately after collecting salary.
Last Bullet
Why do I sound harsh?
Cos those organisations/schools are so harsh in sacking staff. I v seen schools that sacked teachers immediately without pay and it was at the end of the month when it wasn't recorded that the tutor stole.
And I v seen Chinese and Lebanese companies sacking people anyhow.
So...in Nigeria, it's jungle justice.
Honestly, I made a very big mistake, I was carried away, my colleague that resigned few months ago

I contacted him, he told me he gave 2 weeks notice and was still paid
I did same without waiting to give them jungle justice

I spoke with the HR this morning, she told me that I will be paid

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Apply Now For Federal Civil Service Commission Fresh Recruitment - 2016 / What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? / Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.