Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,127 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter (56271 Views)

The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter / The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter Time / Huge Cassava Harvested In Imo State, Taller Than The Owner!!!!! (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 8:35pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

Rearing for that long is less profitable commercially. There is also risk of death.

They are actually for personal consumption for December

My eyes are already on them and I give them good food without mixing the food with anything

Just food and good water

3 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 8:39pm On Oct 23, 2022
olab059:

You didn't state how many they are.

Just eight

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 8:45pm On Oct 23, 2022
Josbreed:

It is not easy to bteed more than one breeds, due to variations in adaptabilities.
Thanks.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by ppogba: 8:45pm On Oct 23, 2022
Etosha:

I saw shege in Yenagoa. My farm was in Tombia, after reaching maturity, I went to swali market in Yenagoa with some birds ( because nobody would buy in Tombia village) to meet the middle men ( women) who buy and sell to consumers. One woman agreed to send his son to my place to clear them. Dude came and offered to buy 1300( as at 2019). They were 2months 2 weeks old. I had no option since my feed has finished and no money for more. He bought some... in my desperation to sell, I went to swali again and met hausa buyers- they promised to come and clear them. Appointed day came, they didn't show up. I took the birds to them , they started giving me annoying bargain. I sold them with no gain. They few ones I left, before my return from the market, they were stolen. The following morning I dropped my feeders and waterers and fled ekpetiama kingdom.

What an experience.
My own experience as a maize farmer and a cassava farmer will be enough to write two textbooks.
The point is, never put your head especially where people with no practical experience are shouting how lucrative a venture is.

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 8:46pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

They are actually for personal consumption for December

My eyes are already on them and I give them good food without mixing the food with anything

Just food and good water
You can save cost by giving food scraps too. Happy eating.

3 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by OlujobaSamuel: 8:47pm On Oct 23, 2022
goodmike7:

Send pic

Na weekend I go fit post the pix, except I come back home early during the week.
It's Cobb500(Zartech). That's the hatchery I've been using for about 4yrs now for almost all birds (Cockerel, Pullets and Broilers)
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by amani337(m): 8:48pm On Oct 23, 2022
chuks1love:
My broiler suddenly stopped growing, but it's makes one funny sound like it's coughing occasionally...it's feeds well though just that it is not growing ... What can I do pls

CRD. Get Tylosin for them

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 8:49pm On Oct 23, 2022
ppogba:

What an experience.
My own experience as a maize farmer and a cassava farmer will be enough to write two textbooks.
The point is, never put your head especially where people with no practical experience are shouting how lucrative a venture is.
I suggest you open a thread and share your experience. You can get good advice.

From my experience, selling broilers is not a big deal. Demand is excess anytime of the year. May be it depends on location.

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 8:52pm On Oct 23, 2022
Josbreed:

Scarce due to high demand. People here in the North are breeding Noers now by themselves. They buy ftom Amo, and hatch their eggs. Once dey do that, they don't bother going back to Amo for a long while.
My mum have some noilers now laying. They send the eggs to a hatchery to be hatched for a small fee. Seems like this will cause bad business for the main hatcheries if people go this route.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 8:56pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

From my experience, selling broilers is not a big deal. Demand is excess anytime of the year. May be it depends on location.
Depends largely on location…

Plus as a farmer you need to be ready to go the extra mile to market. It’s not an ‘ajebutter’ business.
Again the contacts you have been able to build over time.
Do you sell through middle men or to consumers directly?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by ponishah: 8:56pm On Oct 23, 2022
KingClavi:
Let me teach you how to make feeds by yourself..
okay...
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 8:57pm On Oct 23, 2022
Parachoko:
Very risky

Poultry business is only good for person with lots of capital
If you know how to prevent and control diseases in a timely manner, it is not that risky. Cleanliness also matters a lot. What many farmers don't know is that ammonia smell from their poop can trigger a lot of diseases. It lowers their immune system. Mosquitoes can also cause diseases, including the dreaded wet form of fowl pox (not the dry form that cause external scabs).

Generally, many animal farmers have the mindset of "Na just animals". You cant make it with that kind mindset.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Etosha: 8:58pm On Oct 23, 2022
ppogba:

What an experience.

Hehehehe... when I started I asked if I would be a able to sell. They told me "ahhh buyers are always ready". No business is easy if you have no experience oo.

3 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 8:58pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

You can save cost by giving food scraps too. Happy eating.

Ok naw

Can I start adding maize to their food and what else do you think i should add to it
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 8:59pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

My mum have some noilers now laying. They send the eggs to a hatchery to be hatched for a small fee. Seems like this will cause bad business for the main hatcheries if people go this route.
I don’t know the quantity of your birds…

But you can add the eggs to local chickens brooding for them to hatch.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 9:00pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:
Pls did they change mods at the agriculture department…?
Mods were not changed. Why do you ask? Have we been sleeping? undecided
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 9:03pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

Mods were not changed. Why do you ask? Have we been sleeping? undecided
Zzzzzzzzzz….
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 9:04pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

I don’t know the quantity of your birds…

But you can add the eggs to local chickens brooding for them to hatch.
To avoid spread of diseases, local chickens were all eliminated. They raise about 2* noilers. Still testing the ground.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 9:08pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

Depends largely on location…

Plus as a farmer you need to be ready to go the extra mile to market. It’s not an ‘ajebutter’ business.
Again the contacts you have been able to build over time.
Do you sell through middle men or to consumers directly?
I'm base in crop farming for now. My mum does broiler. She sell to both middle men and direct to consumers.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 9:09pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

Ok naw

Can I start adding maize to their food and what else do you think i should add to it
You can add pkc (palm kernel cake, spent chaff from maize, millet etc.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 9:09pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

You can add pic, spent chaff from maize, millet etc.

Ok thanks
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 9:10pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

Zzzzzzzzzz….
Before, I find it very difficult to reach super mods. But now it is easier. So now, educative agric topics will be gracing front page.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by ppogba: 9:11pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

My main experience is in the area of maize and cassava.
AS per the broiler, I beg to defer that demand is excess any time of the year.
A few years ago, a neighbor of my shared his children to different spots to market his broilers on the christmas day, As we dey go give the girls food na so we dey share pure water around. No fiction.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 9:12pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

Before, I find it very difficult to reach super mods. But now it is easier. So now, educative agric topics will be gracing front page.
Good…
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 9:14pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

I'm base in crop farming for now. My mum does broiler. She sell to both middle men and direct to consumers.
What crops specifically do you farm…

I have always had the intention of going into crop farming. Crops with shorter periods of harvest- maize, Okro etc. Also vegetable farming
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by kay29000(m): 9:20pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

150 broilers will probably give the equivalent of like 500 layers.
And their poo is different…unlike the layers poo that is dryer and firmer.

Exactly.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by kay29000(m): 9:21pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

I am benefiting from their poo as I put them in my garden at the back

Especially plantains and it gives me good yeild

That's great.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 9:33pm On Oct 23, 2022
ppogba:

My main experience is in the area of maize and cassava.
AS per the broiler, I beg to defer that demand is excess any time of the year.
A few years ago, a neighbor of my shared his children to different spots to market his broilers on the christmas day, As we dey go give the girls food na so we dey share pure water around. No fiction.
It depends on location. We await your maize-cassava experience.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 9:36pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

What crops specifically do you farm…

I have always had the intention of going into crop farming. Crops with shorter periods of harvest- maize, Okro etc. Also vegetable farming
Mainly cucumber, plantain/banana and sweet potatoes Leafy vegetables too. My pawpaw plantation now old and dying off. I have replaced a lot of them with plantains.

Cucumber is the shortest duration crop I know. Just 6 weeks.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 9:44pm On Oct 23, 2022
FarmTech:

Mainly cucumber, plantain/banana and sweet potatoes Leafy vegetables too. My pawpaw plantation now old and dying off. I have replaced a lot of them with plantains.

Cucumber is the shortest duration crop I know. Just 6 weeks.
Wow…just 6 weeks!
Is it a very technical crop to grow?
I hope to get the required knowledge soon. Before venturing into any area of crop farming I later decide to go into.
Up till now okro was the shortest duration I knew of…also 6 weeks. But cucumber is also a great idea.
Would do more research on that though.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by larrypourl(m): 9:48pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

Yes I believe you

I have eight of them and they consume one bag of 7000 in three weeks

But they poo any how

Though they have wire mesh floor so the poo go straight to the floor without them getting contaminated

I have 6 I'm raising for Christmas too, they're just 4weeks and some days. Mine haven't started eating anyhow maybe because they're still young, but I don't let feed finish from their feeders. They eat 24/7. Their poo is annoying, just eat, drink and poo.

3 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Unrated900(m): 9:53pm On Oct 23, 2022
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hunter Killed A Warthog, Civet And Other Wild Animals / Monster Fish Killed By Two Nairaland Guys / Man Fries Garri After Reading Buhari's Democracy Day Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.