Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,310 members, 7,819,057 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter (56297 Views)

The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter / The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter Time / Huge Cassava Harvested In Imo State, Taller Than The Owner!!!!! (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by kay29000(m): 6:51pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

If they see light they ready to eat 24hrs sef…

The only time they will take a break is to drink water and theirs is ‘poo as you go’
But at least what they eat will show in their growth.
I like watching them eat. So I tend to over feed mine. I always feel sorry for them if they don’t have enough feed.
They are really born to eat… no caps!

For real.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by MrSensor(m): 6:54pm On Oct 23, 2022
Serial48:
I hate chickens and their meat...
ewu has spoken.

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 7:01pm On Oct 23, 2022
Serial48:
I hate chickens and their meat...
My younger brother doesn’t eat chicken meat…

He doesn’t like it. Since he was little.But you see turkey meat? I am sure that guy can steal turkey in the market.
Give him turkey and watch him smile sheepishly. I have always considered him weird.
I can’t even tell the difference in taste between the two once it goes inside the soup.

4 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Etosha: 7:07pm On Oct 23, 2022
ppogba:

That is the major problem small holder farmers usually face. Be it, poultry farming, crop farming whatever. It is the middle men that will reap what you did not reap. Unfortunately, most of the products are time barred. If you don't sell on time, wahala.

I saw shege in Yenagoa. My farm was in Tombia, after reaching maturity, I went to swali market in Yenagoa with some birds ( because nobody would buy in Tombia village) to meet the middle men ( women) who buy and sell to consumers. One woman agreed to send his son to my place to clear them. Dude came and offered to buy 1300( as at 2019). They were 2months 2 weeks old. I had no option since my feed has finished and no money for more. He bought some... in my desperation to sell, I went to swali again and met hausa buyers- they promised to come and clear them. Appointed day came, they didn't show up. I took the birds to them , they started giving me annoying bargain. I sold them with no gain. They few ones I left, before my return from the market, they were stolen. The following morning I dropped my feeders and waterers and fled ekpetiama kingdom.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Kaynnedy(m): 7:07pm On Oct 23, 2022
When will Springlife Assurance begin to return investors money?
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Etosha: 7:10pm On Oct 23, 2022
Pickmycall:
During festive season like easter and Christmas ship it to oshodi Lagos.

They were not that many... I just finished service and was trying to start something.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by mdhustletv(m): 7:12pm On Oct 23, 2022
fabambo:
Very interesting
This is interesting. I'm considering setting up a poultry farm for this festive period and I'm confused on which to choose between no 1 and 4 that you mentioned
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 7:33pm On Oct 23, 2022
kay29000:

Chai! Broilers sole purpose in this life is to chop. You fill up their feeders, go and pee, before you come back, they have finished the food. You will just be hearing, konk! Konk! Konk! Sound of their beaks on metal. They will just sit down by the feeder and keep eating till the food is finished... They can eat 20 hours out of 24 hours.

Exactly eat and poo constantly

They love drinking water so much

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by nakaman: 7:37pm On Oct 23, 2022
Educative

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 7:40pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

If they see light they ready to eat 24hrs sef…

The only time they will take a break is to drink water and theirs is ‘poo as you go’
But at least what they eat will show in their growth.
I like watching them eat. So I tend to over feed mine. I always feel sorry for them if they don’t have enough feed.
They are really born to eat… no caps!

I have broilers that will be 3 months this end of October

They are very fat and have fat legs

I am raising them for Christmas for my family

I hope by December when they will be 5 months, it won't be too late to consume them

I mean must they be consumed at three months or they can stay beyond three months
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 7:44pm On Oct 23, 2022
obinna58:

As a farmer I consider this as crap

Sayed and agrited aren't same at all, Sayed grows faster than agrited from week 1-5 but agrited surpasses them in the 6-7week.
Agrited grows magically, week 3-4 you'd wondering if they're even growing enough but week 5-7 you'll see magic growth as long as there's constant feeding.

The last set of Sayed I did had genetics problem, fatty liver. Still building experiences though but imagine out of 200birds about 15 specifically male birds died off on the fourth week due to fatty liver, I don dey fear them.

I hope by December when they will be 5 months, it won't be too late to consume them

I mean must they be consumed at three months or they can stay beyond three months

They eat a bag of pallet feed grower in three weeks they have very fat legs from day one up till this three months

If I continue on their feed till December Christmas would they still be healthy

They are very healthy
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Akuruoulo(m): 7:46pm On Oct 23, 2022
decatalyst:
It would have been nice to have the pictures of the 4 types sir.

Thank you
Exactly
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 7:46pm On Oct 23, 2022
Etosha:

I saw shege in Yenagoa. My farm was in Tombia, after reaching maturity, I went to swali market in Yenagoa with some birds ( because nobody would buy in Tombia village) to meet the middle men ( women) who buy and sell to consumers. One woman agreed to send his son to my place to clear them. Dude came and offered to buy 1300( as at 2019). They were 2months 2 weeks old. I had no option since my feed has finished and no money for more. He bought some... in my desperation to sell, I went to swali again and met hausa buyers- they promised to come and clear them. Appointed day came, they didn't show up. I took the birds to them , they started giving me annoying bargain. I sold them with no gain. They few ones I left, before my return from the market, they were stolen. The following morning I dropped my feeders and waterers and fled ekpetiama kingdom.
I can relate with your story…

The middlemen (women) are the ones who enjoy from this business. They understand that most farmers have a specific timeframe to meet and so take advantage of them.
Personally, I prefer layers to broilers. Even though layers require more capital and have a longer time frame before returns on investment. But eggs are easier to market. And the spent layers you can target festive seasons to make sales. By then you would have made profit from sales of eggs. Also the prices of old layers are more stable and kinda fixed.
If you wanna do broilers and enjoy better you have a ready market on ground. Or better still you just slaughter at maturity , cut to size and sell as frozen chicken. You still need a market for this. But atleast you won’t be overly desperate to sell they by middle persons taking advantage of you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by kay29000(m): 7:50pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

Exactly eat and poo constantly

They love drinking water so much

Hahaha! I forgot the poop part. The amount of poop that ordinary 10 Broilers poop in a day is something else. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 7:52pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

5months old broilers are not too old to consume…some people keep broilers as long as 8months.
But I think most people prefer to rare them for shorter periods- 3-4 months. Because of the cost of keeping them for longer periods.
Same time some people prefer their meat to be firmer… so they go for the older ones.

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 7:55pm On Oct 23, 2022
kay29000:

Hahaha! I forgot the poop part. The amount of poop that ordinary 10 Broilers poop in a day is something else. cheesy
150 broilers will probably give the equivalent of like 500 layers.
And their poo is different…unlike the layers poo that is dryer and firmer.

3 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 8:00pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

5months old broilers are not too old to consume…some people keep broilers as long as 8months.
But I think most people prefer to rare them for shorter periods- 3-4 months. Because of the cost of keeping them for longer periods.

Yes I believe you

I have eight of them and they consume one bag of 7000 in three weeks

But they poo any how

Though they have wire mesh floor so the poo go straight to the floor without them getting contaminated

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by bishop4life(m): 8:00pm On Oct 23, 2022
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by SweetDipBenny(m): 8:01pm On Oct 23, 2022
Chicks
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 8:04pm On Oct 23, 2022
kay29000:

I am benefiting from their poo as I put them in my garden at the back

Especially plantains and it gives me good yeild

8 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Etosha: 8:08pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

I can relate with your story…

The middlemen (women) are the ones who enjoy from this business. They understand that most farmers have a specific timeframe to meet and so take advantage of them.
Personally, I prefer layers to broilers. Even though layers require more capital and have a longer time frame before returns on investment. But eggs are easier to market. And the spent layers you can target festive seasons to make sales. By then you would have made profit from sales of eggs. Also the prices of old layers are more stable and kinda fixed.
If you wanna do broilers and enjoy better you have a ready market on ground. Or better still you just slaughter at maturity , cut to size and sell as frozen chicken. You still need a market for this. But atleast you won’t be overly desperate to sell they by middle persons taking advantage of you.

U are right. The market in Yenagoa is quite discouraging. For instance, in relief market in Owerri here, people sell their birds every day without middlemen especially on Sunday morning.

4 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by chuks1love(m): 8:11pm On Oct 23, 2022
My broiler suddenly stopped growing, but it's makes one funny sound like it's coughing occasionally...it's feeds well though just that it is not growing ... What can I do pls

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Bahamas95(m): 8:16pm On Oct 23, 2022
Wetin belle dey see mouth nor fit talk am.....We eat 4wks old chicken in the name of enjoyment. I think that time is too short.

This is one of the reasons I don't like eating chicken at times. They're just too soft and would make me wanna puke.

3 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Rainbow219(m): 8:18pm On Oct 23, 2022
Very very interesting write up
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 8:18pm On Oct 23, 2022
decatalyst:
It would have been nice to have the pictures of the 4 types sir.

Thank you

Oshin56:
Op should please update there pictures in four weeks so that we can know there difference.

richiepolymer:
The pictures of all the Broiler breeds would have helped a lot. From the description of the various breeds, it seems i won’t want to buy COBBS 500.

LtChisom:
No single picture, you want us to start paying money for that one abi?

ThreeEyedRaven:
I was hoping for a pictorial comparison
Badguy77:
Pictures for the different types abeg so we go know the difference

See

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by OlujobaSamuel: 8:25pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

Nothing will happen to them. Just switch their feed to grower if they are already at a size you wished.
I have one of about 2yrs already.
I normally process my broiler at 6-8wks
Something happened and I had 1left over, so it wasn't having any economic returns again, so keeping for kill

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 8:28pm On Oct 23, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

Nothing will happen to them. Just switch their feed to grower if they are already at a size you wished.
Something happened and I had 1left over, so it wasn't having any economic returns again, so keeping for kill

Did you say two years
Hmmm

They are on grower and it's lovely on them as they don't fall sick or look weak

But fat and active
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by olab059(m): 8:30pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

They eat a bag of pallet feed grower in three weeks
they have very fat legs from day one up till this three months

If I continue on their feed till December Christmas would they still be healthy

They are very healthy

You didn't state how many they are.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 8:30pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

Rearing for that long is less profitable commercially. There is also risk of death.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Maliqcious: 8:31pm On Oct 23, 2022
obinna58:

As a farmer I consider this as crap

Sayed and agrited aren't same at all, Sayed grows faster than agrited from week 1-5 but agrited surpasses them in the 6-7week.
Agrited grows magically, week 3-4 you'd wondering if they're even growing enough but week 5-7 you'll see magic growth as long as there's constant feeding.

You too know they are same strain of broilers though different parent stock
The last set of Sayed I did had genetics problem, fatty liver. Still building experiences though but imagine out of 200birds about 15 specifically male birds died off on the fourth week due to fatty liver, I don dey fear them.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by goodmike7: 8:34pm On Oct 23, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

Send pic

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Fries Garri After Reading Buhari's Democracy Day Speech / Why Can't Nigerian Farmers Have Organized Farms Like These? / Made In Anambra Cattle Hit Market - ABS (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.