Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,921 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter (56291 Views)

The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter / The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter Time / Huge Cassava Harvested In Imo State, Taller Than The Owner!!!!! (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by olab059(m): 9:57pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

Just eight

Okay.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by pufframmy: 10:21pm On Oct 23, 2022
nice one
samae:
ALL BROILERS ARE NOT THE SAME OHH, ONE IS MORE SUITABLE TO SELL AT 4WEEKS, ONE IS STRONGER AGAINST COLD, ONE IS STRONGER AGAINST HEAT AND ONE GROWS TALLER THAN OTHERS.

THERE ARE REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT JUST BUY ANY BROILERS BREED BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE BUYING IT. PEOPLE BUY BROILERS BASED ON DIFFERENT REASONS. SOME BUY BIRDS THAT GROWS FASTER AND SELL THEM OFF FOR 4WEEKS, SOME BUY OTHER TYPE OF BROILER BREED BECAUSE THEY GROW TALLER AND ARE EASIER TO SELL OFF. SOME BUY BROILERS BASED ON THE TYPE OF TEMPERATURE AND WEATHER CONDITIONS BECAUSE THERE ARE BROILERS THAT ARE STRONGER AGAINST COLD AND SOME ARE STRONGER AGAINST HEAT.

Am going to be talking about the 4 best types of broiler breed we have in Nigeria and the hatchery that produces them, the advantages they have over themselves and you get to know which you should go for when you are ready to start poultry farming.

The 4 best Broilers are
1)ROSS 308.
2)COBB 500.
3)ARBOR ACRE.
4)MARSHALL.

1)ROSS 308.
The Ross 308, they don't grow very tall and are always short but very fat, they can withstand cold but they hate heat.Ross 308 grows faster than other broilers breed. They have a good conversion ratio and are more suitable to be raised for 4-6weeks and then sell them off. they can weigh up to 2.5kg at 5WEEKS of age. The hatcheries that produce them include SAYED AND AGRITED HATCHERY.

2)COBB 500.
Not as fast-growing as the Ross 308, but they grow taller than Ross 308. They can’t withstand cold and often sneeze and contact chronic respiratory diseases(CRD) easily even when they are still a day old chick. They are also strongly resistant to heat more than Ross 308. And more agile and resistant to diseases.
Hatcheries that produce COBB 500 include ZARTECH, OLAM, CASCADA, AND NPG.

3)ARBOR ACRE.
They are more similar to Ross 308 and can weigh up to 2.7kg At 6 weeks of age, they have an average daily weight gain of 93 g and an average daily weight gain of 79g at 8 weeks of age under good conditions. They are also more resistant to diseases.
Hatcheries that produce ARBOR ACRE ARE AMO, CHI, AND FIDAN.

4)MARSHALL
The only disadvantage is that Marshall doesn’t grow up fast like the other breeds do but they are the broilers that grow the tallest among the broilers breed. And they are more required during the celebration period because of their physical appearance. They can stay up to 12 weeks before you can start marketing to sell them.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by kareemkamil(m): 10:36pm On Oct 23, 2022
May Almighty God guide us from all this foreigner chemical chicken

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Chigorkizz(m): 10:45pm On Oct 23, 2022
Good
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by robosky02(m): 11:06pm On Oct 23, 2022
Ok chicken business
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 11:13pm On Oct 23, 2022
brain54:

Wow…just 6 weeks!
Is it a very technical crop to grow?
I hope to get the required knowledge soon. Before venturing into any area of crop farming I later decide to go into.
Up till now okro was the shortest duration I knew of…also 6 weeks. But cucumber is also a great idea.
Would do more research on that though.
Yes. Not that easy to grow. You must be well prepared.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by FarmTech(m): 11:16pm On Oct 23, 2022
kareemkamil:
May Almighty God guide us from all this foreigner chemical chicken
Some farmers abuse drugs. They may not follow the recommended withdrawal period before selling. Organic ones are good, but it is risky and consumers cannot pay the price.

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by obinna58(m): 11:51pm On Oct 23, 2022
frozen70:

I have broilers that will be 3 months this end of October

They are very fat and have fat legs

I am raising them for Christmas for my family

I hope by December when they will be 5 months, it won't be too late to consume them

I mean must they be consumed at three months or they can stay beyond three months

They eat a bag of pallet feed grower in three weeks they have very fat legs from day one up till this three months

If I continue on their feed till December Christmas would they still be healthy

They are very healthy
Broilers are very fragile creature, intending to keep them long means you don't have to feed them so much, grower is ok, as long as keeping up with their medications they can live up to 2yrs. The longer they live the tasty the meat.

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 12:52am On Oct 24, 2022
obinna58:

Broilers are very fragile creature, intending to keep them long means you don't have to feed them so much, grower is ok, as long as keeping up with their medications they can live up to 2yrs. The longer they live the tasty the meat.

obinna58:

They have actually gone through the proper medication that's why they seems to be healthy with out feeling such even at 3 months

I will stick to grower feed because if I give them finisher they are finished with excess weight

Since it's for personal use
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by frozen70(f): 12:55am On Oct 24, 2022
larrypourl:

I have 6 I'm raising for Christmas too, they're just 4weeks and some days. Mine haven't started eating anyhow maybe because they're still young, but I don't let feed finish from their feeders. They eat 24/7. Their poo is annoying, just eat, drink and poo.

I feed mine morning and evening and I make sure they get regular water because they can drink water no be small

If you keep making sure their food can doesn't go empty

You will find it difficult to regulate their feeding

Start a feeding plan they will adjust to

The more feed the more poo, but very healthy too

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by SlyFoxx4Life: 4:25am On Oct 24, 2022
Which one is best for barbecue?
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by samnificent(m): 4:44am On Oct 24, 2022
Following...
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Munzy14(m): 6:22am On Oct 24, 2022
Oshin56:
Which of this 4 chicks that don't normally have much feather at 4weeks
Abor Acres.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Munzy14(m): 6:25am On Oct 24, 2022
obinna58:

As a farmer I consider this as crap

Sayed and agrited aren't same at all, Sayed grows faster than agrited from week 1-5 but agrited surpasses them in the 6-7week.
Agrited grows magically, week 3-4 you'd wondering if they're even growing enough but week 5-7 you'll see magic growth as long as there's constant feeding.

The last set of Sayed I did had genetics problem, fatty liver. Still building experiences though but imagine out of 200birds about 15 specifically male birds died off on the fourth week due to fatty liver, I don dey fear them.
Crap ke?

You probably got mixed birds by hanky-panky agents.

Too many adulteration of Agrited broilers.

Sayed and Agrited have the same parent stock for broiler breeds.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Maconstruct(m): 6:43am On Oct 24, 2022
frozen70:

I have broilers that will be 3 months this end of October

They are very fat and have fat legs

I am raising them for Christmas for my family

I hope by December when they will be 5 months, it won't be too late to consume them

I mean must they be consumed at three months or they can stay beyond three months
Once dey approached 4 months, from my experience we kill n freeze.
Dey get too big, dia legs carry dem no more so yu see dem limping.
Some might have swelled legs, u wouldn't fancy dat
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Pickmycall: 6:55am On Oct 24, 2022
Etosha:

They were not that many... I just finished service and was trying to start something.
No be for a struggling guy.You need constant income to be able to rear a poultry farm like birds.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by KingClavi(m): 7:31am On Oct 24, 2022
ponishah:

okay...
Write me an email
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by ponishah: 7:35am On Oct 24, 2022
KingClavi:

Write me an email
I wil appreciate it if you post here, please.
And thanks in advance
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by fidtopade: 8:02am On Oct 24, 2022
Good to know.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Parachoko: 8:29am On Oct 24, 2022
chuks1love:
My broiler suddenly stopped growing, but it's makes one funny sound like it's coughing occasionally...it's feeds well though just that it is not growing ... What can I do pls
kill it and eat.

Boilers are not birds to be kept for a long period of time.

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by larrypourl(m): 9:03am On Oct 24, 2022
frozen70:

I feed mine morning and evening and I make sure they get regular water because they can drink water no be small

If you keep making sure their food can doesn't go empty

You will find it difficult to regulate their feeding

Start a feeding plan they will adjust to

The more feed the more poo, but very healthy too

I'll work on their feed regulation.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by obinna58(m): 9:13am On Oct 24, 2022
Munzy14:

Crap ke?

You probably got mixed birds by hanky-panky agents.

Too many adulteration of Agrited broilers.

Sayed and Agrited have the same parent stock for broiler breeds.
Same style of growth?
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Pickmycall: 9:19am On Oct 24, 2022
Aidejay:
What breed is this please
Na only one you buy?

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Pickmycall: 9:28am On Oct 24, 2022
kay29000:

Chai! Broilers sole purpose in this life is to chop. You fill up their feeders, go and pee, before you come back, they have finished the food. You will just be hearing, konk! Konk! Konk! Sound of their beaks on metal. They will just sit down by the feeder and keep eating till the food is finished... They can eat 20 hours out of 24 hours.
chuks1love:
My broiler suddenly stopped growing, but it's makes one funny sound like it's coughing occasionally...it's feeds well though just that it is not growing ... What can I do pls

I release my chickens to go out and look for food so that my feeds can last.

Before I started to release them,I was rationing their food by trying to save cost.Omo,4 months after my chickens were not growing and looking very thin.My neighbour that I gifted one of the 10 birds that I bought has grown big and mature after 3 months because he released his to go out and look for food.

I started leaving their cage open that is how they started growing big now.

Meanwhile,about 4 of them died when they were infants because I release them to go out that was why I locked them tho.

My chicken.Some are strolling outside.

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by brain54(m): 9:48am On Oct 24, 2022
Pickmycall:
No be for a struggling guy.You need constant income to be able to rear a poultry farm like birds.
Reminds me of a CORPER guy that started with about a thousand birds…

He was hoping on his uncle who works with NNPC then and his NYSC alawee.

At a point his uncle stopped supporting him ( I guess too much billing)

Plus his birds (layers) became sick at about 15 weeks or so- Coryzer, then CRD and fowl pox followed. Those stubborn type.

Dude spent most of his money on medication. At a point money ran out.

Feeding became a problem…guy became depressed, dejected and down cast. At a point dude was looking like a mad man.

Ended up selling at a frustrating price when he could no longer cope…therefore making a huge loss.

Moral of the story: Be prepared when embarking on poultry journey. Have at least 80% of the total cost on ground. ( not money you are EXPECTING ) Plan and have a budget also for the unforeseen. Poultry business no be beans. As my friend would say it’s a win or loss business.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Pickmycall: 9:56am On Oct 24, 2022
Bahamas95:
Wetin belle dey see mouth nor fit talk am.....We eat 4wks old chicken in the name of enjoyment. I think that time is too short.

This is one of the reasons I don't like eating chicken at times. They're just too soft and would make me wanna puke.
Na those chicken wey grow rapidly, within 1 months,before they are slaughter.I actually killed one of my 5 months old chicken and the bones were strong.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by ncoolsome(m): 10:16am On Oct 24, 2022
Pls what breed is this...it's 5 weeks old.

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Pickmycall: 10:21am On Oct 24, 2022
brain54:

Depends largely on location…

Plus as a farmer you need to be ready to go the extra mile to market. It’s not an ‘ajebutter’ business.
Again the contacts you have been able to build over time.
Do you sell through middle men or to consumers directly?
Middlemen are ripoffs.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by dahunsi12(m): 10:21am On Oct 24, 2022
So interesting.

Thanks for the info
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Pickmycall: 10:37am On Oct 24, 2022
frozen70:

Ok thanks
Give them their normal meals O.Their intestine cannot digest some strong food.Why they die in their infant age is as a result of the kind of food they eat when they are release to go and search for food.

1 Like

Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by Bahamas95(m): 11:09am On Oct 24, 2022
Pickmycall:
Na those chicken wey grow rapidly, within 1 months,before they are slaughter.I actually killed one of my 5 months old chicken and the bones were strong.
That 5months old chicken is ok, not 1month......I enjoyed the last cockerels I reared for 9months because they were very big and matured before i ate them.
Re: The 4 Broiler Breeds And The Ones That Grow Taller And Fatter In Shorter by kay29000(m): 12:57pm On Oct 24, 2022
Bahamas95:
That 5months old chicken is ok, not 1month......I enjoyed the last cockerels I reared for 9months because they were very big and matured before i ate them.

You kept them for 9 months? Wow! How did you deal with their constant crowing? I remember I had to sell off my 30 Cockerells off at 5 months when would crow nonstop... Disturbing the whole neighbourhood. How did you handle their crowing?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Monster Fish Killed By Two Nairaland Guys / Man Fries Garri After Reading Buhari's Democracy Day Speech / Why Can't Nigerian Farmers Have Organized Farms Like These?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.