Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,843 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri (28683 Views)

Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri / Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions / Obi Plans To Stage-manage Fake Assassination Attempt – Keyamo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by unclenna(m): 6:12am On Oct 08, 2022
Peterobiisathie:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/10/analysing-peter-obis-plans-to-remove-import-restrictions-reno-omokri/
Reno, u forgot that Obi said that the current administration compel exporters who bring in foreign currency to sell at the CBN rate as against the high rate they buy it.

Is unfortunate you are deceiving Nigerians
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by anjolaoluwa17o: 6:50am On Oct 08, 2022
OkayOkay...
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Ttalk: 6:59am On Oct 08, 2022
JoeNL22:

That is the stat they will tell you.
The best way to know if your economy is strong is through your currency. Go and check Nigerian currency to other nations. You will see that the economy is very bad under Buhari. The economy is -ve, it is not about making money in Nigeria again. The Hyper-inflation will take all the profits made. At the end of the day. What you use 900 naira to buy a piece of clothing that's now 3,500 seven years later. And you tell me Nigeria is a leading economy? They have deceived you, people.

Don't think you sound intelligent with your argument here, rather it shows your poor understanding of how the economy of a nation work.

Nigeria's economy is in ruin because of over-dependent importation. Peter and Tunde will rather import what they can produce if there are no restrictions because of the quick returns they will get. That type of economy only favors individuals but it kills the country.

Developing a manufacturing base is not a day's work, the level of knowledge and advancement Nigerians have gained due to the banned on the importation of some basic agricultural products cannot be overemphasized. It is not too late to key into any of these opportunities and position yourself for the benefit when the sector matures.

It is very illogical for Peter Obi who want to move the country from consumption to production be talking about removing import restriction, when such a move only encourages consumption and discourage manufacturing.

Please look at this issue objectively because there is none of the candidates ( Obi inclusive) that can afford to remove restrictions on imports of certain goods as the country is struggling with limited forex where our balance of trade is negative.

Presently our import exceeds export that is why there is high and increasing exchange rate. Despite CBN intervention using our reserves, the country continue to witness poor value of Naira.

Develop the infrastructure with emphasis on power, reduce the lending rate and improve on security, also strengthen our legal system and see our production base surge. Our exportation capacity will solve the problem of naira devaluation and not reliance on diaspora remittance to strengthen our currency
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 7:33am On Oct 08, 2022
Gent:
I`m an Obidient, l have never criticized him, not even for once. But the removal of import restriction is a big NO, NO to me. This policy go against productivity which he vowed to promote. It will have multiple negative effect on Nigerians, especially the local manufacturers.

Most local manufacturers are in heavy debt. Let's call a spade a spade and even there is nothing special about local manufacturing because if you look at General investment we are 17 country in Africa so what is so special about the local manufacturing when the companies just borrow money and not produce anything this is the mess we are in. Talk about local manufacturing the breadbasket of local manufacturing is in Lagos and the Financial Capital is in Lagos but if you sell Lagos you cannot even pay the Nation's debt.

With the 120 billion US dollar debt, most of death comes from local manufacturers. No person in his right mind goes and borrow money when he knows he cannot pay for the money. You talk of local manufacturing when 85% of Nigeria's wealth is now kept out of the country please explain to me where is the local manufacturing if it is not borrowing money
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 7:37am On Oct 08, 2022
Ubekus:
Pls Nigeria should import, these are local producers are killing us, with high increase of money everyday, everybody want to build mansion in one day,so obi is right.

95% of the local producers are in massive debts when you spend 100 Naira in Nigeria 120 naira of that hundred Naira goes to pain the debt. There is no local manufacturing going on it is borrowing of money
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 7:45am On Oct 08, 2022
ElSudani:

No country can ever develop by relying on importation of almost everything. Even chicken and the toothpicks to pick your teeth afterwards. If you do that you are keeping the people of other countries employed while your country remains poor.

With all the local production and the giant of local production in Africa we are the poverty capital of the world please explain this to me is it local production or borrowing money which one do you see around you. We are 17 in Africa in investment let's not fool ourselves. This sooner Nigeria is destroyed the better for everybody

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 7:47am On Oct 08, 2022
ElSudani:

Nigeria today is the leading economy in Africa and increase in manufacturing and service industries are responsible for that. It may seem like nothing to you because you are not yet driving around in the latest BMW but Nigeria is definitely moving forward.

You are talking about moving forward in illiteracy poverty and hunger
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by alizma: 8:31am On Oct 08, 2022
bibe:

You asked a question and I answered, no need retorting to insult.
Restriction loosely defined means a limiting condition or measure, especially a legal one. Depending on situation can also man temporary ban with a specified limit or non.
Example, rice importation restrictions can be a temporal or permanent ban. Border restrictions can mean a ban on imports (or ingress) or exports (or egress), like was applied under the current administration.
Having made the definitions clear, do you now understand my submission of do you need further breakdown?
Would you like me to do a juxtaposition of Obis policy using previous examples with the current administration policy and how woeful it's been?
I didn't insult you o, please check my post again. I only said you should understand the topic before you comment. He said he will remove import restriction and in your defense you said he will TAX goods that can be produced locally or so, whereas tax is part of import restriction which he had already said he will remove. That was why I said you should check google first. That is not an insult because I do the same too when I am not too sure if I understand the subject of discussion.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 8:38am On Oct 08, 2022
Ttalk:

Don't think you sound intelligent with your argument here, rather it shows your poor understanding of how the economy of a nation work.

Nigeria's economy is in ruin because of over-dependent importation. Peter and Tunde will rather import what they can produce if there are no restrictions because of the quick returns they will get. That type of economy only favors individuals but it kills the country.

Developing a manufacturing base is not a day's work, the level of knowledge and advancement Nigerians have gained due to the banned on the importation of some basic agricultural products cannot be overemphasized. It is not too late to key into any of these opportunities and position yourself for the benefit when the sector matures.

It is very illogical for Peter Obi who want to move the country from consumption to production be talking about removing import restriction, when such a move only encourages consumption and discourage manufacturing.

Please look at this issue objectively because there is none of the candidates ( Obi inclusive) that can afford to remove restrictions on imports of certain goods as the country is struggling with limited forex where our balance of trade is negative.

Presently our import exceeds export that is why there is high and increasing exchange rate. Despite CBN intervention using our reserves, the country continue to witness poor value of Naira.

Develop the infrastructure with emphasis on power, reduce the lending rate and improve on security, also strengthen our legal system and see our production base surge. Our exportation capacity will solve the problem of naira devaluation and not reliance on diaspora remittance to strengthen our currency

You can do all the above and still allow imports.

The problem we have in this country is the leaders who are in power have zero idea on how to run the economy.

They borrow money to set up their production plants and hence they overpriced the finished products because their must pay debts incurred from the capital they used to produce the product. Instead of you to sell the product at 10 naira you be selling it at 100 naira because you want to pay debts and interest you got from the loan you used to start the business. Hence killing the naira and reducing the purchasing power of the citizens. That's why buhari is borrowing all those monies left, right and Centre. He has borrowed the money to an extent that we use all our IGR to pay the debts. Does that make sense.? When money doesn't circulate, the economy stops growing. That's why things don't work in Nigeria.

The manufacturer can't do anything because there is no electricity, there is no security, no stable currency, no stable economy, until all those things are available. Let us still allow imports into the country. You don't just stop imports because you want to build your industry. When your manufacturers can now produce in large quantities and they can stand on their own.....then you can stop imports. Nigeria has not reached that stage yet. Not even close. So why should you stop it? With all the import restrictions Buhari has done on rice and the dollar what has it resulted to?

Let me teach you economics: When you create scarcity for a product you increase the price for that product, demand must meet supply. The idea is not to create scarcity. That is what obi wants to do. Buhari has been creating scarcity will his stupid restrictions and making the price of goods and services go up. The purchasing power of the nation is going down. How do you attract foreign investors to come and sell their products in your country when your citizens purchasing power is low?......reason this thing abeg!

Even renowned economists have applauded the idea. Yet Nigerians are still complaining it cannot work. Illiteracy is killing this country. We must educate our Citizens.

Obi truly understands the problems Nigeria is facing. We must vote him in.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 8:45am On Oct 08, 2022
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

With all the local production and the giant of local production in Africa we are the poverty capital of the world please explain this to me is it local production or borrowing money which one do you see around you. We are 17 in Africa in investment let's not fool ourselves. This sooner Nigeria is destroyed the better for everybody
Bros they para grin grin grin
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Eriokanmi: 8:49am On Oct 08, 2022
Prince001:

Una just like to name calling. I don't like Reno but u I concurred with him on d issue he raises about Obi.
This is d reason una need debate between d candidates with good moderator too.
I for 1 I'm only for Yoruba nation, Biafra republic nuttin more nuttin less!!!!!!
Debate will come don't worry. This man was misunderstood
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 8:51am On Oct 08, 2022
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

Bros....don't mind him jare. People don't understand basic economics. And the leaders too na zero. Obi truly understands the problems we are facing. We must vote for him if we want to move this country to a better place
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 8:53am On Oct 08, 2022
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

95% of the local producers are in massive debts when you spend 100 Naira in Nigeria 120 naira of that hundred Naira goes to pain the debt. There is no local manufacturing going on it is borrowing of money
Exactly......they are borrowing money in the name of local production
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 9:02am On Oct 08, 2022
Mckandre:
This obi's strategy is gonna say a lot about those who re bright and dull intellectually, to be honest it amazes me on how little reno thinks,really he's very shallow.
O point!
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by BigIyanga: 9:09am On Oct 08, 2022
pquaver:

Can you tell me the exchange rate in 1999 in comparison to 2015? Do sane for the things you listed up there and rest
Iti Gambia. In 1999 Foreign reserves were $300m.. in 20 07, it was $60bn; and ECA of $23bn. In 1999 we had no GSM, NAFDAC, BPE, DMO.. no internet connection, ATM, no Debit Card, No POS.
Minimum wage in 1999 was N2000 and OBJ increased to N18k in a yr.
Folks like u like to bring back yester years to justify the present, but facts arent on your side.
Btw 1999-2015 is 16yrs while 2015-2022 is 7 yrs.. got it?
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by omokab: 9:09am On Oct 08, 2022
richidinho:

Before 2015, a bag of local rice was N4,000 was the country secured, did we generate more light than now, how about our roads?
you must be one of the children on social media . a bag of local rice has never been sold 400k don't let anybody lie to you .I stayed in ebonyi then where local rice is been produced . A bag of local rice then was around 11k or thereabout .I mean good one not dirty one. You can only talk about the one with sand and stone that was very cheap. Then how many people have access to polish local rice then including the one that is fair (de stoned but not polish ) I remembered that I do bring it from ebonyi down to Ibadan when am travelling home.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by BigIyanga: 9:12am On Oct 08, 2022
omokab:
you must be one of the children on social media . a bag of local rice has never been sold 400k don't let anybody lie to you .I stayed in ebonyi then where local rice is been produced . A bag of local rice then was around 11k or thereabout .I mean good one not dirty one. You can only talk about the one with sand and stone that was very cheap. Then how many people have access to polish local rice then including the one that is fair (de stoned but not polish ) I remembered that I do bring it from ebonyi down to Ibadan when am travelling home.
From
11k to 40k is about 400% increase.. isnt that too much for u? Must we justify everything because of politics. Speak with ur wallet

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by bibe(m): 9:24am On Oct 08, 2022
alizma:

I didn't insult you o, please check my post again. I only said you should understand the topic before you comment. He said he will remove import restriction and in your defense you said he will TAX goods that can be produced locally or so, whereas tax is part of import restriction which he had already said he will remove. That was why I said you should check google first. That is not an insult because I do the same too when I am not too sure if I understand the subject of discussion.

You clearly misunderstood my response.
First bit was me saying he is right to remove import restrictions (in order words ban) on certain produce like rice for example. Now some people like Reno will argue that it'll harm local producers.

In the second bit I tried to allay those fears. By slapping tarrifs on them instead, you'll generate more revenue to use in supporting the local producers.

Win win. That's the standard policy that applies internationally. The US did it for their car manufacturers in the 70s, China did it and keeps doing it, US under Trump used it yet again to support their local producers in agriculture and certain technologies.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Kaka77(m): 10:03am On Oct 08, 2022
Here is why

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by omokab: 11:40am On Oct 08, 2022
BigIyanga:

From
11k to 40k is about 400% increase.. isnt that too much for u? Must we justify everything because of politics. Speak with ur wallet
nobody is happy with what happening recently to our economy especially high cost of goods and services . But we can't as well run away from reality .firstly before the administration of Jonathan ends ,the minister of finance okonjo iweala said Nigeria should prepare for austerity because of looting and downfall in price of crude oil. Secondly ,we cant hide from the truth that covid 19 added to our problem .Thirdly ,economic recessed also contributed largely and I can say bad government policies over the years from buari and other past president is among our problem . CBN governor is the worst which I dont know why buari gave him the second term till today. He has no idea .His only interest is to get money for the government without planning on how to help the economy so that masses can benefit . Look at soludo ,he's a good economist . Sanusi also did better than this one . He raised a lot of alarm when ministers and governors were depleting our foreign reserves . meanwhile ,USA and other big countries of the world were also been affected with covid 19 . cost of goods have increased in UK and US tremendously. Their inflation has rise in recent time but that does not mean they are suffering like Nigeria .
Lastly ,we need someone who understand the system of governance . A politician who has been in the system for a long time . Who can't be control anyhow like buari. Who can bite at anytime and nothing will happen . over the years we dont have seasoned politician as the president and we can see the effect . Obasanjo is not a politician ,he was installed yaradua was and did better in shortest time. Jonathan was partially a politician but was installed and had a lot of problem . Buari wasn't a politician and we can see the problem we are having . To me this is why I prefer tinubu who has make a lot of people and respect in political arena than others ,Atiku could have also be another good politician but he can't be trusted .
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Lashist(m): 11:47am On Oct 08, 2022
Tinubuadvocate:
I have said it time without number that peter obi is senseless and dull.
You are the dull idiot...since your buhari you loved so much reduced importations, how has it helped nigerians?? How has it helped your wretched life? cheesy do you suddenly buy cheaper food than most nigerians? You are just as dull as a zombie...hope its not heredity sha
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by ElSudani: 12:04pm On Oct 08, 2022
JoeNL22:

Did the developed countries just wake up one day and said they will not allow imports in their country?......obviously no!......They still ran both local and international products in their economy. Don't be fooled. Japan was the number 1 in Asia before china took over. And how did they do it? They were importing raw materials from Japan. Now they became self sufficient and they stopped. The china you see today did not just ban imports from their country without ensuring they can do it themselves. It was systematic. They had a vision. They had a goal. That's what obi is trying to implement in Nigeria. He wants to create a systematic approach in solving problems in Nigeria and not the military tactics Buhari keeps using to solve Nigeria problems

What Obi is saying the direct opposite of what you are saying. Japan and China aggressively pursued local manufacturing ans export. What are the similarities to what Obi is saying?
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by MICHEALADEX(m): 12:18pm On Oct 08, 2022
Period007:
A tale of 2 former governors

What Thiefnibu gets from Lagos state government annually is more than Kebbi State annual budget.

Don't be foolish

Talking out of point is foolish-ness.

Address Reno's case of obi's stupidity

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by greatiyk4u(m): 12:19pm On Oct 08, 2022
alizma:

Thanks for bringing in this angle of the situation to defend his point however, we are looking at from the angle of finished products as well as those those products that their required raw materials can be sourced locally. If obi had define the category of restrictions he planned to remove, maybe that would have save us the argument but unfortunately he didn't and from my secondary school till this point, I am made to understand and I believe that one of the major policies to encourage local producer is import restriction.

You are actually the one that refused to read the details of the proposed restriction as he highlighted its importance to exportations, if you look at Reno criticism you will understand he made it a tribal thing as he mentioned factories in Kano, Kaduna, Ogun, Lagos and neglected indigenous manufacturing companies in south east Nigeria, this alone has eroded any credibility in this weak analysis,
However, I like the way you show willingness to learning from your response here.

This is an expert view on this policy

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by MICHEALADEX(m): 12:21pm On Oct 08, 2022
Lionnation:
Reno no get sense, obi is talking about exporters not importers

God please accept these child today and let his stupidity be minus from the earth

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Misterone: 12:34pm On Oct 08, 2022
penultimatee:
Okay,I stand with reno on this.How can we be importing what we can produce locally here in Nigeria.Its like we are empowering foreign currency on our own currency detriment.
when we say Obi is dense up there, some people think we are just talking. A man that could only get third class in a course like philosophy wants to dictate the economic progress of a country like Nigeria? I am not saying that he must know all to become president but he acts as if he knows all which is his Achilles heel. This man will send Nigeria to the doldrum
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by mandarin: 1:23pm On Oct 08, 2022
No economy operates on Peter Obi's model without corresponding exports to balance the trade. The analysis is spot on, you either disprove his argument or agree with him.
We need to look at producing what we consume or at least produce reasonable percentage.
Obi's plan is to favor traders and importers who could come together and sponsor production of what they sell.
If APC didn't do it well, then the focus should be how ca we do it better to bring down prices of made in Nigeria goods.
Tactfully speaking, that plan is not good for the economy at all.

quote author=Emeks008 post=117357841]This is what former cbn deputy gov said about peter obi economics plan.

If you read in between the line of what Reno tweeted above, he deliberately highlighted some two section of Nigeria which is North and south west. He made mentioned of Dangote tomato paste factory in Kano, Textile company in kaduna/Kano and some factories in Ogun and Lagos. He made it looks like peter obi policy will adversily affect Hausa/Fulani and Yorubas companies.

This guy is trying all his best to makes other tribes to hate Peter obi.

We are wiser now. His plan won't work.
[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

3 Service Chiefs Meet In Aso Rock / Photos From Osinbajo's Visit To Ovie Of Uvwie Kingdom / Gov Election 2023: Sanwo-olu Wins Tinubu Polling Unit Amid Low Turnout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.