Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,779 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria (53253 Views)

Man Escapes Death By Rope As Truck Submerged In Flood / Asaba: Vehicles Submerged In Mud Water As Flood Ravages Nnebisi Road (Pictures) / Owerri Flooded, Vehicles Submerged, Traders Flee (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Hushbingo: 9:25am On Oct 09, 2022
Hmmm

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Stronghold91: 9:25am On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
And there governor want to become president undecided
Clown
this one pass state government power
federal government should intervene
even international communities

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Yusman316(m): 9:26am On Oct 09, 2022
morikee:
Effect of Climate Change aka Global Warming
Even here in the North Rain dey still fall which is very unsual. May God help us all.
Exactly what I was telling someone yesterday. Imagine experiencing heavy down pour in Abuja on a daily basis. Normally what you get by this time of the year is just some shallow scanty down pour then by mid October the rain stops completely

2 Likes

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 09, 2022
Ekejoestar:
Looking at the aerial view of the affected areas, it appears like there used to be a river there before houses was built on its channel.

Anyway, it's sad that such an issues wasn't forestall before it got to this level.
exactly. No proper town planning.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Segzy19: 9:27am On Oct 09, 2022
Kogi is a confluence state i.e. two large rivers meet and pass through it. This has made it liable to water disasters like overflooding.

The questions I want to ask are these:

Wasn't there any climatic, meteorological or geological forecast as to this type of natural disaster?

If yes or no, then the government (both federal and state) has failed; FG taking the largest blame.

Because the above-stated fact should have been put into consideration when planning the state?

Kogi state needs special intervention from FG. It is more than what a governor can tackle...

After this one, flooding will keep occurring more especially due to the climate change that we are now experiencing...
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by WithFact: 9:27am On Oct 09, 2022
Yet no CSR from Dangote company. Yahaya Bello is right in his fight. Thumb up
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Deltavariant(m): 9:28am On Oct 09, 2022
alibiz:
This is a national issue and FG should help and also plan to avert such in the future.
Maybe the volume of the water should know and a dam constructed to accommodate it couple with dredging of our water ways.
late President Yar'adua started dredging river Niger, but unfortunately for political reasons GEJ stopped it immediately he died.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by 8stargeneral: 9:28am On Oct 09, 2022
And yahaya bello is in abuja with his family chilling
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by jclassiq(m): 9:29am On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
And there governor want to become president undecided
Clown
I don't think you have any sense at all. If you did, tell me if their governor is responsible for natural disasters. Why do you people not vet your thoughts on a public forum?
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by bakynes(m): 9:29am On Oct 09, 2022
KingLennon:
That is a massive loss but well the governor is not interested because he stays in a GRA...
The Governor Yahaya Bello doesn't stay in any GRA in Kogi, he literally lives in Abuja. Only comes to Lokoja for state affairs.

2 Likes

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by dyera(m): 9:30am On Oct 09, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

That’s a natural disaster!
It can happen anywhere!
Don't we have a minister of disaster?
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by jclassiq(m): 9:31am On Oct 09, 2022
ecolime:
cry

This is really sad.

The structure of those houses would be weak and very compromised now.
Not to mention the immediate impact sef. Where will the occupants run to?
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Jflex07(m): 9:32am On Oct 09, 2022
YinkaOlusesi16:
we thank GOD it is not hurricane.
You wise at all? Natural disaster na him u dey thank God...No matter the form of natural disasters,it leads to loss of lives and properties..
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Danny50: 9:33am On Oct 09, 2022
Time for our tax to be put to use.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by putin2: 9:34am On Oct 09, 2022
It's worst than this in anambra but we don't advertise it , we are tackle it. Even me wey Dey write my own house and family house was submerged last month , now my entire local government area has be submerged that's anambra west .

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Reference(m): 9:35am On Oct 09, 2022
xaggar:

Try to understand the difference between flooding and river overflow.

Flooding comes from a heavy downpour. A river overflow is as a result of the river unable to contain a huge amount of water.
Dredging the river basin is one way to tackle this. Remove the excess sands accumulated over the years from the river so it can handle more volumes of water.
The deeper the river the less space its waters takes on the adjoining banks or land.

I don't think all the budget in Nigeria can clean the River perpetually. All tropical rivers have this problem of silting and as more land is being cleared for farming and trees lost to deforestation so soil gets washed into the rivers and end up silting them. That is why dams are not popular in these parts of the world. They are high maintenance.

The only way dredging can be sustenable is to create economic activity that necessitates it and thus pays for it. If Lokoja can be made a special economic zone and have industries and river ports all over the place then these facilities will care for their environment as part of the cost of doing business.

Ajaokuta Steel for instance has a large river port. All it needs to do is to 'dredge it's backyard' regularly by law and if every establishment along the river did that it will cost government nothing.

So the Federal government in conjunction with the state government should appropriate all the land along the banks of the river and deliberately stimulate economic development as an investment in environmental solutions.

4 Likes

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by faste: 9:39am On Oct 09, 2022
Deltavariant:
The last time this country experienced unprecedented flooding like this was 10 years (2012) back during GEJ, the FG pumped states with billions of cash only to be siphoned with no plans and projections to mitigate future reoccurrence. The unfortunate story is we will never learn.
It was as a result of opening of cameroun dam,rivers state communities were submerged.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Rayjnr: 9:40am On Oct 09, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

It can happen anywhere!

Dont mind the idiot
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by RepoMan007: 9:40am On Oct 09, 2022
drightguy:
Some People's life time Struggles.
Some even killed to even acquire these properties too.

So true. No proper town planning

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by frank317: 9:41am On Oct 09, 2022
YinkaOlusesi16:
we thank GOD it is not hurricane.

U are thanking God for rubbish... Thank God he broke a leg and not an arm. Whats there to be thankful about nagativity
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by favinvest: 9:41am On Oct 09, 2022
We have alot of solutions but zero political will:

(1) Dredging River Niger, all the water will flow straight to the Atlantic ocean.

(2) Build dams.. to store some of these water.. and release them for irrigation to the northern farmers during dry season

2 Likes

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by greenermodels: 9:43am On Oct 09, 2022
okoroemeka:
the flood is not the fault of the governor or nature itself but people that build houses in natural flood plains that is designated by nature to be a natural overflow catchment basin,as long as people decide to build houses in flood plains this will continue to happen,my in-law built a duplex along the flood plains in ogbaru onitsha,he was initially warned that floods can reach heights of 15 ft high during a bad flood year but he stubbornly built there,right now he is a refugee in his in-laws place, will you blame the governor soludo for that?
it's the job of the government to build dykes, flood channels, dams, dredging of river etc. This flooding if properly channelled is a blessing especially for agricultural irrigation purposes.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by 007Marvel(m): 9:44am On Oct 09, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

It can happen anywhere!

It can also be avoided to some extent, most of those you see all over the world had landslide too, or are cities very close to water bodies! but I bet that's not the case with Kogi state. This is mostly down to poor drainage system, and or seeing water gathering over the years but ignored it . Same thing happened at a place not too far from me, they saw the water gathering there for year's but ignored it, now it's some kind of flood whenever it rains.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Osariemen12: 9:44am On Oct 09, 2022
Hurricane YAHAYA.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Reference(m): 9:45am On Oct 09, 2022
jclassiq:

I don't think you have any sense at all. If you did, tell me if their governor is responsible for natural disasters. Why do you people not vet your thoughts on a public forum?

Pot calling kettle.
Yes the Governor is 'not the cause'.
But the governor and government is there to fashion out the solutions.
So he is responsible for the outcome.

Learn to hold your leaders accountable please especially in this election season. They are not elected to office to be some ornament on a mantelpiece, some tin-gods to bow before in holy worship every morning, but to be instruments of secure life and good living.

In this case to be a lifeboat in floods and to bring back dry land out of rivers of water. If leaders and governments are not solutions, they are not useful to us and we are better off governing ourselves and answerable to no law. That is how democracy works.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by KingLennon(m): 9:47am On Oct 09, 2022
bakynes:
The Governor Yahaya Bello doesn't stay in any GRA in Kogi, he literally lives in Abuja. Only comes to Lokoja for state affairs.
Are u serious?
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by kingxsamz(m): 9:49am On Oct 09, 2022
@ Dtruthspeaker, come and see o. Church goers (not Christians) and atheists in Kogi are already sufferings for their sins just like those in the US. shocked
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by nedekid: 9:50am On Oct 09, 2022
Really unfortunate. But why is nobody talking about people building houses on the river canal? Look at that picture, look at houses built under the bridge. Why is a bridge there in the first place, because there is a a water way there, yet people will build directly on the river.
If the gov agencies go to destroy those building, people will complain.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Theoarhics: 9:52am On Oct 09, 2022
Mount paty I the only safe place in lokoja right now.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Bamisheyi(m): 9:52am On Oct 09, 2022
This is happening everywhere in the world. I don't think we should be blaming our government here in Nigeria. We need prayer not blaming
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by treatise: 9:53am On Oct 09, 2022
pheelhip:
Disheartening
Their Emilokan father might not donate to their support this time
This isn't Kano so, don't expect anything from Gen. Emilokan.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reviving The Travel Section With A Destination Story - My Visit To South Korea! / The Beauty Of Southern Nigeria Shocked Me! (video) / Man Trapped In A Sealed Manhole In Lagos, Cries Out For Help (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.