Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,746 members, 7,820,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria (53257 Views)

Man Escapes Death By Rope As Truck Submerged In Flood / Asaba: Vehicles Submerged In Mud Water As Flood Ravages Nnebisi Road (Pictures) / Owerri Flooded, Vehicles Submerged, Traders Flee (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Mirasteel: 7:11pm On Oct 09, 2022
Yahaya bello is a very useless man.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by jayworld15(m): 9:00pm On Oct 09, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

So the flooding in New-York, Florida, Japan and Paki callstan were man made?

Or do we say the state governors are incompetent?

The pictures they showed here, was it from New York, Florida, Japan or Pakistan?
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by SaturnNick(m): 9:17pm On Oct 09, 2022
It always surprise me as much
kowema:
The flood is usually pretold before it happens. I've heard many agencies call for the Dams to be worked on, drainages cleared in that area and all to mitigate the flood..it feels like it's never done.
I can't forget the first time it escalated in 2012.
I was travelling as a corper from Benin to Jigawa.
That road was unplyable. The rivers had over flowed their bank, farms produce unharvestable, houses submerged, communities made homeless. Traffic we met at Lokoja was 2 weeks old. We had to use a crane to cross our bus tru the nearby River. The scariest experience of my life. One crane carried 2 buses loaded with 15 passengers and 1 small car. 15k per vehicle to cross us.
My heart sank over an over in this 10 mins of one of the riskiest moves of my life. Like what if the crane just bends?, We'd just sink.
Kai!.
Years after it's still same.
See the picture below
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 09, 2022
Revolva:

Look abroad have plans before and after flooding ok

They pay all the damages to victims and rebuild the community back

Over here no welfare you are on your own and na u sabi

Who told you they pay all the damages? They only give temporal relief effort. If you don’t have gone insurance? You damn fvcking on your own.

And what plan can you have for an unforeseen risk? If their were plans, the impact would have never been that much.

And same will still happen again. It’s natural, it can never be stopped!

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by seunak2016: 10:02pm On Oct 09, 2022
kowema:

We had already reached that point MD it was evening. No way forward or backward. That was like the only way out.
but if I were in your shoe (once I smell rat, like if no vehicle coming your way when you are going somewhere then it's a red flag), I will rather go back spend more money on flight with peace of mind than having HBP.

I don't know how to swim and can't risk stuff like that, person fit die before die self
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Melagros(m): 10:15pm On Oct 09, 2022
YinkaOlusesi16:
we thank GOD it is not hurricane.
I dey tell you, if not only God knows what will happen
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Friend22(m): 11:03pm On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
And their governor want to become president undecided
Clown

Natural disaster can not be stopped by mwn
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by KIDfurniture(m): 5:02am On Oct 10, 2022
I won’t blame the Governor . I will blame the masses. We hardly construct drainages & we re fond of trashing our trash into the available drainage. Who go suffer the end result ? Still the masses. Laughable

Revolva:
More havoc was recorded as a massive flood submerged several communities in Kogi state after a decade of experiencing a humanitarian disaster, Over 700 houses were Submerged, and Billions were Lost in Kogi State, Nigeria,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50q2W3M74Xk
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Dtruthspeaker: 8:31am On Oct 10, 2022
kingxsamz:
@ Dtruthspeaker, come and see o. Church goers (not Christians) and atheists in Kogi are already sufferings for their sins just like those in the US. shocked

Yes o! I don talk am say we don Import all their Curse kon Naija na, so dem must chop am.

Time don reach make dis world burn of flood finish make all die go dia Pa House!
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Perezino: 9:00am On Oct 10, 2022
And their gov is busy trying to take over another person's property by force
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by zuto4u(m): 9:21am On Oct 10, 2022
And this is the state of Yahya Bello that talks too much. So this is how he wanted to lead Nigeria?
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by internetpo(m): 9:42am On Oct 10, 2022
And neither the governor or president has visited.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by iampeterben(m): 10:54am On Oct 10, 2022
God has decided to expose the idiot, make e come out say he wan be president again. Money wey you go take fix your state you use am go buy form. Come out again, idiot.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Tycyborg(m): 8:31am On Oct 11, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

That’s a natural disaster!

It can happen anywhere!

It's not natural disasters. Kogi is not a coaster land... It's well above sea level so this shouldnt happen... If we are to talk or states along or below or besides costal the. We call it a natural disaster becaude they can't stop ocean from over flowing and the ground won't absorb the water...
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by kripen(m): 9:02am On Oct 11, 2022
Tycyborg:

It's not natural disasters. Kogi is not a coaster land... It's well above sea level so this shouldnt happen... If we are to talk or states along or below or besides costal the. We call it a natural disaster becaude they can't stop ocean from over flowing and the ground won't absorb the water...

You are making a point thought everyone is entitled to their opinion, in as much as I try to understand you kogi is a confluence town(where two rivers meet), for this reason the water is much and there is high possibility of over flowing its bank.
The government has a bigger blame because this issue is recurring and something is supposed to be done to mitigate it:
First, govt can dredge it to be able to carry the volume of water that will be coming and by so doing it flows easily to the Atlantic ocean.
Secondly, by building dams big enough to retain the water that is coming like what Cameroon did, and Cameroon said they expect Nigerian to do Sam but they didn't. So anytime Cameroon open their dam this is one of the things we experience.

So this bring me back to what you said that it can't be called natural disaster because we already saw it coming and nothing was done to stop it, so to me it is negligence.

Please, I suspended my travelling since last week from Edo because of this flood, is the traffic in lokoja moving now?

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by AlphaTaikun: 1:44pm On Nov 01, 2022
kowema:
The flood is usually pretold before it happens. I've heard many agencies call for the Dams to be worked on, drainages cleared in that area and all to mitigate the flood..it feels like it's never done.

I can't forget the first time it escalated in 2012.
I was travelling as a corper from Benin to Jigawa.
That road was unplyable. The rivers had over flowed their bank, farms produce unharvestable, houses submerged, communities made homeless. Traffic we met at Lokoja was 2 weeks old. We had to use a crane to cross our bus tru the nearby River. The scariest experience of my life. One crane carried 2 buses loaded with 15 passengers and 1 small car. 15k per vehicle to cross us.

My heart sank over an over in this 10 mins of one of the riskiest moves of my life. Like what if the crane just bends?, We'd just sink. Kai!

Years after it's still same.
See the picture below
There are crocodiles and snakes in that river that are waiting to have lunch with any living thing that is unfortunate to drop like a heavy rock into the flooded waters.

Discovery Channel and NatGeo Wild have taught me to be aware of getting too close to unfamiliar river banks while on leisure travels so as not to get savagely attacked and dragged into the waters by those nimble crocs.grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by bizzibodi(m): 9:47pm On Nov 01, 2022
People even build houses at d bank of d river.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reviving The Travel Section With A Destination Story - My Visit To South Korea! / The Beauty Of Southern Nigeria Shocked Me! (video) / Man Trapped In A Sealed Manhole In Lagos, Cries Out For Help (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.