Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria (53258 Views)

Man Escapes Death By Rope As Truck Submerged In Flood / Asaba: Vehicles Submerged In Mud Water As Flood Ravages Nnebisi Road (Pictures) / Owerri Flooded, Vehicles Submerged, Traders Flee (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Marpol2021(m): 9:54am On Oct 09, 2022
Hope ida is safe
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Alabaintprice(m): 9:57am On Oct 09, 2022
One thing I've noticed in this video is that houses were built on water ways.... It's very obvious.
See that bridge built says a lot already.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by olatade(m): 10:00am On Oct 09, 2022
Hmm

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Judolisco(m): 10:02am On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
And their governor want to become president undecided
Clown
person wey dem suppose wipe oraimo cord 4 neck
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by obembet(f): 10:04am On Oct 09, 2022
pheelhip:
Disheartening
Their Emilokan father might not donate to their support this time

As Peter obi donate to Anambra
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Spanki(f): 10:06am On Oct 09, 2022
Revolva:
More havoc was recorded as a massive flood submerged several communities in Kogi state after a decade of experiencing a humanitarian disaster, Over 700 houses were Submerged, and Billions were Lost in Kogi State, Nigeria,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50q2W3M74Xk

GOD HAVE MERCY!!!!
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by infogeneral: 10:11am On Oct 09, 2022
Some folks who could not fix thier states want to fix Nigeria.
Jokers!
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by highness25(m): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2022
Revolva:
More havoc was recorded as a massive flood submerged several communities in Kogi state after a decade of experiencing a humanitarian disaster, Over 700 houses were Submerged, and Billions were Lost in Kogi State, Nigeria,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50q2W3M74Xk
me self don japa comot for house. I don turn refugee for my own father land. E no go better for this flood

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by OdefaGirl(f): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2022
ecolime:
cry

This is really sad.

The structure of those houses would be weak and very compromised now.

Especially storey buildings.... They are standing time bombs

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by OdefaGirl(f): 10:20am On Oct 09, 2022
Citizens.... how are you guys coping?

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Faposky95: 10:21am On Oct 09, 2022
Ohhh!
My heart churns for the victims... unfortunately, many among which will not wager their lives based on those of the future based on what is really achievable.
Why can't our people understand that living is a full time job.
All these mediocre mindsets and lifestyle......
Why can't a million people living in a location understand that they make up a city and it must be run based on best international practice.
The joke's on you.....
Let's keep up our improverished notions and lifestyle.
Maybe there's hope on Mars ...say year 2700
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by seunak2016: 10:25am On Oct 09, 2022
Pray4naija:
And their governor want to become president undecided
Clown
imagine that I.diot, the same thing happened in Florida, if you watch CNN you go see how they are rescue people with helicopter but here in Nigeria the governor can't put some diver and plenty boat there to rescue people.

that's is the duty of governor to take steps and rescue those trap in the house.

human life don't matter in this country, politician don't value life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Jeezuzpick(m): 10:26am On Oct 09, 2022
KingLennon:
That is a massive loss but well the governor is not interested because he stays in a GRA...

GRA?

He lives in ABUJA.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by KingLennon(m): 10:31am On Oct 09, 2022
Jeezuzpick:

GRA?

He lives in ABUJA.
Can you imagine? That's disgraceful...
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by donforeign: 10:33am On Oct 09, 2022
Chicastle:

It’s Natural disaster I think not gov.
not natural disaster.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by seunak2016: 10:35am On Oct 09, 2022
kowema:
The flood is usually pretold before it happens. I've heard many agencies call for the Dams to be worked on, drainages cleared in that area and all to mitigate the flood..it feels like it's never done.
I can't forget the first time it escalated in 2012.
I was travelling as a corper from Benin to Jigawa.
That road was unplyable. The rivers had over flowed their bank, farms produce unharvestable, houses submerged, communities made homeless. Traffic we met at Lokoja was 2 weeks old. We had to use a crane to cross our bus tru the nearby River. The scariest experience of my life. One crane carried 2 buses loaded with 15 passengers and 1 small car. 15k per vehicle to cross us.
My heart sank over an over in this 10 mins of one of the riskiest moves of my life. Like what if the crane just bends?, We'd just sink.
Kai!.
Years after it's still same.
See the picture below
is there no alternative way to your destination that time even if you guyz need to pay extra cash because me I can't take that risk ooo, it's better I return to where am coming from then go catch flight than risking my life because of stingyness
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by yusufu16: 10:37am On Oct 09, 2022
This is not government fault. From the picture, you can see clearly, people just built their houses on the waterway

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by jayworld15(m): 10:49am On Oct 09, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

That’s a natural disaster!

It can happen anywhere!

Says who?

If there isn't good drainage system, building of houses along water paths, blockage of water channels etc, there'll always be flooding. Many things happened due to man made mistakes. This is a man made error
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Ihatebuhariwith(m): 10:50am On Oct 09, 2022
wiseone28:
Is the governor the one that sent the rain?
so rain no fall for Scotland?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by kingslj: 10:55am On Oct 09, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

That’s a natural disaster!

It can happen anywhere!

NATURAL DISASTER THAT HAPPEN YEARLY ,BUT NO PLANS BY A CONSTESTING STATE GOV TO RESOLVE/MITIGATE IT.

ARE THEY NOT AWARE OF THE DAM ISSUES AND FLOODING IN THAT STATE
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by HIPROFILE(m): 11:00am On Oct 09, 2022
But if you check this thing well this people actually build their houses close to the canal abi river which is very bad although Government should have been more proactive to restrict buildings some kilometers away from the river bank.

When it happens everyone starts blaming government meanwhile Government never approved residency around such area.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by sameks08(m): 11:03am On Oct 09, 2022
is heart breaking I pity for the poor ones
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by KennethEnyi(m): 11:06am On Oct 09, 2022
Good for them let God keep using natural disasters to wipe out agbado people one by one so that we can have peace smiley
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by twilliamx(m): 11:20am On Oct 09, 2022
People should stop building on flood plains

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Dagreat96(m): 11:24am On Oct 09, 2022
#pray4kogi
This is too much �
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by kowema(f): 11:28am On Oct 09, 2022
seunak2016:
is there no alternative way to your destination that time even if you guyz need to pay extra cash because me I can't take that risk ooo, it's better I return to where am coming from then go catch flight than risking my life because of stingyness

We had already reached that point MD it was evening. No way forward or backward. That was like the only way out.

1 Like

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 09, 2022
[quote author=Pray4naija post=117397662] And their governor want to become president

How does be the governor's fault.
If I blame peter obi for IPOB killing and flood , erosion in Anambra now ,
You will be crying like a baby
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Thedon22: 11:36am On Oct 09, 2022
WithFact:
Yet no CSR from Dangote company. Yahaya Bello is right in his fight. Thumb up
Who told you there was no CSR from Dangote ? So, you believe all these corrupt politicians. Do you know how much Dangote invested to do some concrete roads which are better than normal roads in Lagos and Ogun State ? Fashola successfully negotiated that with Dangote as Minister too. Hold Yaya responsible for his lack of focus. Which rich man will take him responsible the way he has been spending Kogi scarce resource on Presidential ambition? If you are the one, will you ?
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Reference(m): 11:48am On Oct 09, 2022
twilliamx:
People should stop building on flood plains

Let us be factual here about the popular wet season lingo, 'building on water channels, flood plains, etc'.

What is the definition of a flood plain or a water channel. Is it natural or artificial, an engineering error or the effects on layman's ignorance....

Because every nation or region has high ground like Jos, Abuja, etc and every nation has low lying land like Lagos or Bayelsa.

Can flood plains be artificially created? Yes. I have seen serious engineering works to create and expand rice paddies in Ebonyi that just makes me shudder to think what will happen when rains fall a little longer than anticipated....that is the danger created because of rice.

Can they be engineering errors? Yes, the Abuja - Lokoja road had to be realigned a few years back when it was submerged during a particularly heavy rainy season. The Lokoja - Okene highway on the other hand is always submerged during the rains as we see this year too. Are we saying government too is building roads on flood plains. Government error?

Then we see the obvious, people building by the banks of river Niger at Lokoja, river Benue at Makurdi and we shout, 'they are foolishly building on flood plains'. Yes, correct, but everywhere on the world, from the Nile to river Thames, to the great Mississippi people will always build besides bodies of water for transportation, industrialization, agriculture, etc for thousands of years. Is it bad, wrong?

We are told that by 2100 most tundra ice will have melted into the sea raising sea levels and submerging most coastal cities including Nigeria's. The projections say places like Lekki peninsula, Victoria island, the Thames estuary, parts of Newyork will be gone. But folks there have government approvals to build there. Government error?

So are ordinary folks comitting an environmental crime by all these talks about building on flood plains and so called water channels or are they doing what their natural instincts dictate sometimes with government's approval. Who is at fault here.l?
Discuss.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by descartes400: 11:50am On Oct 09, 2022
If you look at the picture, areas of flooding are purely water ways which begged the question; why would people build houses in water ways?

Building houses on the banks of water ways that's on plain ground? Astonishing!

Shey, we are all seeing the consequences.

Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by Panda7(m): 11:54am On Oct 09, 2022
instead of focusing on building proper drainage system some people were on the internet hauling insults and abuse on their fathers, i hope God give them the fortitude to bear their lost.
Re: Lokoja Flood: Over 700 Houses Submerged, Billions Lost In Kogi State, Nigeria by HardBishop: 11:54am On Oct 09, 2022
With these reports, I feel that a black man is stupid

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reviving The Travel Section With A Destination Story - My Visit To South Korea! / The Beauty Of Southern Nigeria Shocked Me! (video) / Man Trapped In A Sealed Manhole In Lagos, Cries Out For Help (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.