Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities (4893 Views)

Jonathan Appoints Vice-Chancellors For 5 New Universities / FEC Approves 3 New Universities For Northern Nigeria / Imo To Establish Four New Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by maclatunji: 8:45am On Aug 17, 2011
Between Gej And Apple

Last week, Apple, a knowledge based firm, overtook oil giant ExxonMobil as the world's most valuable company. This vindicates my decision to devote the lion's share of capital allocation to education as well as build more universities. Why? Because Nigeria has both knowledge and oil and now we see on the world stage that knowledge is more valuable than oil. It follows that if we must build value in Nigeria we must focus on building the knowledge capacity of Nigerians. GEJ

http://www.facebook.com/jonathangoodluck
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by maclatunji: 8:47am On Aug 17, 2011
Help me out here because I cannot see the connection between Apple's success and GEJ's policies or the lack of them. Am I being too cynical? Or is he right in broadcasting this as an achievement?
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by olawalebabs(m): 10:33am On Aug 17, 2011
Poor comparison there, is not the quantity that matters but the quality. GEJ, wake up please.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by PeeDaVinci: 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2011
this man is stooopid , seriously, he needs to get his head examined. wat does he even mean by a knowledge-based firm?? does he mean oil based firms do not need the univ. for watever they do, and wat makes apple knowledge-based and exxon not knowledge-based !!! this man is a complete joke.

wat even pains me more is pple's comment on this stooopid post of his!! pathethic
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by olawalebabs(m): 12:25pm On Aug 17, 2011
[quote[b]]t[/b]his man is stooopid , seriously, he needs to get his head examined[/quote] that is tooharsh, please takeitcool.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by aletheia(m): 12:40pm On Aug 17, 2011
@OP: I will say you are being too cynical. Remember this quote? What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

maclatunji:

Help me out here because I cannot see the connection between Apple's success and GEJ's policies
^I guess you probably didn't read what you yourself posted:

maclatunji:

Last week, Apple, a knowledge based firm, overtook oil giant ExxonMobil as the world's most valuable company. This vindicates my decision to devote the lion's share of capital allocation to education as well as build more universities. [size=14pt]Why? Because Nigeria has both knowledge and oil and now we see on the world stage that knowledge is more valuable than oil. It follows that if we must build value in Nigeria we must focus on building the knowledge capacity of Nigerians.[/size] GEJ
^I have highlighted the relevant portion for you. That is the connection between Apple (a knowledge-based coy) and his policies.

maclatunji:

Or is he right in broadcasting this as an achievement?
^
What is being broadcast here as an achievement? The paragraph is just elucidating the philosophy behind a certain government policy.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Johndoe100(m): 12:45pm On Aug 17, 2011
PeeDaVinci:

this man is stooopid , seriously, he needs to get his head examined. wat does he even mean by a knowledge-based firm?? does he mean oil based firms do not need the univ. for watever they do, and wat makes apple knowledge-based and exxon not knowledge-based !!! this man is a complete joke.

wat even pains me more is pple's comment on this stooopid post of his!! pathethic

it is aparent that you have no home training. Can you talk to the dogs that gave birth to you like this?
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by olawalebabs(m): 12:46pm On Aug 17, 2011
Johndoe100:

it is aparent that you have no home training. Can you talk to the dogs that gave birth to you like this?
two wrong does not make a good, you can correct him the hard way.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by philip0906(m): 12:50pm On Aug 17, 2011
Johndoe100:

pls shut da hell up. . .what's harmful in his post?abi r u denying d fact dat jona is a slowpo.ke?or u r one of his numerous bootlickers? undecided
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by aletheia(m): 12:55pm On Aug 17, 2011
PeeDaVinci:

^
You are the one that is actually a clueless ignoramus. Classification of a company as knowledge-based or otherwise has nothing to do with university education. You should have educated yourself by following up on your own question (sic) "wat makes apple knowledge-based and exxon not knowledge-based".  Hint: consider the nature of their products & services.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by PeeDaVinci: 1:30pm On Aug 17, 2011
aletheia:

^
You are the one that is actually a clueless ignoramus. Classification of a company as knowledge-based or otherwise has nothing to do with university education. You should have educated yourself by following up on your own question (sic) "wat makes apple knowledge-based and exxon not knowledge-based".  Hint: consider the nature of their products & services.

dude calm down, let's talk like gentlemen, no need to throw insults, ok?? - gej insinuated apple is knowledge-based, and exxon is not, right?? he then, said, he is building more universities coz of a knowlegde-based company becomes richer than one which is not, right?? fyi, if university education/research is wat stoopied gej refers as knowledge, exxon requires as much knowlegde to operate as apple, one is just an produces some IT gadgets with its software, and the other produces oil. also follow this link for wat a knowledge based firm is http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=19&gs_id=2l&xhr=t&q=knowledge+based+companies&qe=a25vd2xlZGdlIGJhc2VkIGNvbQ&qesig=jVtumqYDFKjahWmsUftnIg&pkc=AFgZ2tlpf5u1OokhwU2BBlE_y2bAkgTE6SN9KgK3kgc2hU8QSLp5bVboFoLJ_O4LBhT0l3x1LyiHRWQXIoCH3v56HVD7hkarKA&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=knowledge+based+com&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d5c279fcc719c6fe&biw=1366&bih=677
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by aletheia(m): 2:14pm On Aug 17, 2011
^
PeeDaVinci:

fyi, if university education/research is wat stoopied gej refers as knowledge

Is that all you gleaned from that post on FB? I think you are the one who needs to calm down. Apparently for some of you anything GEJ makes you see red and your brains cease functioning.

Now let me break it down for you. What is Exxon's major product? Oil.  A finite resource which is drilled out of the ground. What is Apple's major product? Laptops, Ipads and such gadgets, right? Wrong actually. Apple's major product is it's proprietary software and services it provides it's consumers. This is the source of it's steady earnings. The hardware is just a way of locking consumers into the Apple Ecosystem. You may also want to look at Microsoft. What product does this Titan of a company produce? Is it hardware or a natural resource?

Now go back and look again at this quote from the post in question:
we see on the world stage that knowledge is more valuable than oil.

And indeed knowledge is more valuable than oil. Ask countries like India, Japan and Singapore. Oil will run out. Knowledge will only increase.

Oh BTW: you really need to learn how to use Google (another Behemoth that is a knowledge-based coy).
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by gregg2: 2:55pm On Aug 17, 2011
You have time to even explain to Maclatunji, PeeDavinci and all others that come on nairaland to display their stupidity claiming to be more intelligent than GEJ.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Beaf: 2:59pm On Aug 17, 2011
PeeDaVinci:

These are the words of one who obviously has no respect for his parents. A dog who could very easily be imagined as a thief or other lowlife trash.
Its no surprise that his type (like the OP) totally fail to grasp the simplest and most profound of messages. Fools can't be helped.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Beaf: 3:04pm On Aug 17, 2011
PeeDaVinci:

dude calm down, let's talk like gentlemen, no need to throw insults, ok?? - gej insinuated apple is knowledge-based, and exxon is not, right?? he then, said, he is building more universities coz of a knowlegde-based company becomes richer than one which is not, right?? fyi, if university education/research is wat stoopied gej refers as knowledge, exxon requires as much knowlegde to operate as apple, one is just an produces some IT gadgets with its software, and the other produces oil. also follow this link for wat a knowledge based firm is http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=19&gs_id=2l&xhr=t&q=knowledge+based+companies&qe=a25vd2xlZGdlIGJhc2VkIGNvbQ&qesig=jVtumqYDFKjahWmsUftnIg&pkc=AFgZ2tlpf5u1OokhwU2BBlE_y2bAkgTE6SN9KgK3kgc2hU8QSLp5bVboFoLJ_O4LBhT0l3x1LyiHRWQXIoCH3v56HVD7hkarKA&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=knowledge+based+com&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d5c279fcc719c6fe&biw=1366&bih=677

You are a donkey who doesn't know the meaning of the term, knowledge based; an ape who couldn't be bothered to find out, but could rush to rain insults. Like the rest of the screamers, you are just a dunce who is happy to remain a dunce.

Find out the meaning of the term, knowledge based, then come back and talk.

Fool.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Beaf: 3:07pm On Aug 17, 2011
The knowledge economy is a term that refers either to an economy of knowledge focused on the production and management of knowledge in the frame of economic constraints, or to a knowledge-based economy. In the second meaning, more frequently used, it refers to the use of knowledge technologies (such as knowledge engineering and knowledge management) to produce economic benefits as well as job creation. The phrase was popularized by Peter Drucker as the title of Chapter 12 in his book The Age of Discontinuity, And, with a footnote in the text, Drucker attributes the phrase to economist Fritz Machlup.[1]

The essential difference is that in a knowledge economy, knowledge is a product, while in a knowledge-based economy, knowledge is a tool. This difference is not yet well distinguished in the subject matter literature. They both are strongly interdisciplinary, involving economists, computer scientists, engineers, mathematicians, geographers, chemists and physicists, as well as cognitivists, psychologists and sociologists.

Various observers describe today's global economy as one in transition to a "knowledge economy," as an extension of an "information society." The transition requires that the rules and practices that determined success in the industrial economy need rewriting in an interconnected, globalized economy where knowledge resources such as know-how and expertise are as critical as other economic resources. According to analysts of the "knowledge economy," these rules need to be rewritten at the levels of firms and industries in terms of knowledge management and at the level of public policy as knowledge policy or knowledge-related policy.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_economy
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by maclatunji: 3:51pm On Aug 17, 2011
To be honest, I am trying to see things from GEJ's point of view but as much as I try to be impressed by him on this and other topics, I just see someone who is trying to impress people with little or no achievements. Okay, so you decided to create more Universities, does that mean that the graduates coming out of those schools are getting jobs after a minimum of 4 years in school? Or does it guarantee their competitiveness in the global economy that he is so quick to refer to? What is the chance that graduates from his new universities will be attractive to the likes of Mobil and Apple. We just had some militants deported for indiscipline, was it not our money wasted on them to travel without results?

I think the man should stop posting on Facebook at the moment and focus on getting things done. The analogy to his boasting over the new Universities is like a man boasting to people that he has bought a piece of land, I am sure sensible people would ask him: of what use is the land if you do not put it to productive use?
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Beaf: 4:00pm On Aug 17, 2011
^
Just the same way you weren't smart enough to pick up the meaning of a simple message is the same way you missed the fact that Education as a whole is getting a boost with increased attention and a vastly increased budget. But, you might not even understand the importance of education sha. embarassed

Its such a damn simple message too. The words are not even that many!

maclatunji:

Last week, Apple, a knowledge based firm, overtook oil giant ExxonMobil as the world's most valuable company. This vindicates my decision to devote the lion's share of capital allocation to education as well as build more universities. Why? Because Nigeria has both knowledge and oil and now we see on the world stage that knowledge is more valuable than oil. It follows that if we must build value in Nigeria we must focus on building the knowledge capacity of Nigerians. GEJ

Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by edoyad(m): 4:13pm On Aug 17, 2011
PeeDaVinci:

Listen scumbag, you come on a forum named after the Nigerian Currency and disrespect the Commander in Chief of this country like that ?
I don't blame you, the majority of that budget should have been aportioned to the security out fits so they can track uncouth m0r0ns like you and put 9mm rounds into your heads while you sleep.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by blacksta(m): 4:16pm On Aug 17, 2011
How a man intends to boost education when the same Government spends 3 quarters of its budget on government largesse baffles me. Until we address the underlying issues all these headline grabbing statement means absolute nothing. We know anyway, those who really impact societies are people of little words. I am very sure GEJ wouldn't even recognise Steve Jobs if the man were to walk past him.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Beaf: 4:22pm On Aug 17, 2011
^
Facts, sir. Facts! It is your duty to provide them, if only to proove the beer palour nature of your claims. Folk like you will benefit a lot from the renewed vigour in the education sector. Do yourself a favour and re-enrol.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by maclatunji: 4:24pm On Aug 17, 2011
Beaf:

^
Just the same way you weren't smart enough to pick up the meaning of a simple message is the same way you missed the fact that Education as a whole is getting a boost with increased attention and a vastly increased budget. But, you might not even understand the importance of education sha. embarassed

Its such a damn simple message too. The words are not even that many!

Deal with specifics here, how many primary and secondary schools does the Federal Government own? How does that compare with those owned by State Governments and the Private individuals or institutions? If GEJ is going to boast about budgetary allocations then there is a fundamental problem because we have to ask; what is the input-output ratio? Are we getting value for his allocations? He should keep quiet for now and tell us how his spending has changed the face of education in at least 2 years from now. 4 years would be preferable though.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Beaf: 4:32pm On Aug 17, 2011
maclatunji:

Deal with specifics here, how many primary and secondary schools does the Federal Government own? How does that compare with those owned by State Governments and the Private individuals or institutions? If GEJ is going to boast about budgetary allocations then there is a fundamental problem because we have to ask; what is the input-output ratio? Are we getting value for his allocations? He should keep quiet for now and tell us how his spending has changed the face of education in at least 2 years from now. 4 years would be preferable though.

Why are you stepping all over your own tongue? How do states get whatever sums of money they need to build schools? Who determines the Nigerian curriculum? Who sets up the system?
When you have answered those questions you will understand the horrible deficiences in your position.

I wonder what you advocate be done in the education sector? And to return to the anaemic premise of your thread, I wonder what you personally comprehend by the term, knowledge based economy? And if you conclude that a knowledge based economy is a desirable thing, I wonder what you imagine the foundational step would be?
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by blacksta(m): 4:33pm On Aug 17, 2011
Beaf:

^
Facts, sir. Facts! It is your duty to provide them, if only to proove the beer palour nature of your claims. Folk like you will benefit a lot from the renewed vigour in the education sector. Do yourself a favour and re-enrol.

obviously you dont wish me well   - You want to me to re enrol in a comatose sector  grin  - you must be joking  - Ol boy i am happy where i dey oooo  - What facts do u want again  - So are you in denial that 75% of the budget is spent on recurrent expenditure .  Ol boy na u dey Beer parlour and not me
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by maclatunji: 4:52pm On Aug 17, 2011
Beaf:

Why are you stepping all over your own tongue? How do states get whatever sums of money they need to build schools? Who determines the Nigerian curriculum? Who sets up the system?
When you have answered those questions you will understand the horrible deficiences in your position.

I wonder what you advocate be done in the education sector? And to return to the anaemic premise of your thread, I wonder what you personally comprehend by the term, knowledge based economy? And if you conclude that a knowledge based economy is a desirable thing, I wonder what you imagine the foundational step would be?

At bolded, great question. I can assure you they do not get the vast majority of it from GEJ's allocation for education in his federal budget. By the way, a knowledge economy will not be built on GEJ's meagre (in real terms) allocation to education.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 17, 2011
I think what he is trying to say is that, Apple is a tech based firm whose success is based entirely on Human resources (Tech and Innovation), while Exxon Mobil which is an Oil company and whose success is largely based on Natural resource. He is not trying to say people that work i oil companies don't need to go to school. Instead of throwing this man under the Bus for his lack of clarity, but i think we all get what he is insinuating. he has a very valid point! One day OIL will run out or there will be cheaper, greener alternatives, then what does Nigeria have to offer So he is just waking up and realizing knowledge and information is the future of a country, i.e Human resources is sustaining!
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Akainzo(m): 5:04pm On Aug 17, 2011
maclatunji:

Between Gej And Apple

And since Dangote is the richest man in Nigeria, we should all start our own cement factories or better still, Nigerian universities should start majoring in Cement production grin grin grin
So what would happen if next year . Exxon-Mobil should buy Chevron and becomes the richest company in the world, GEJ would start shutting down universities?

I presume he has a message to pass across to defend why Nigeria needs more universities, his analogy is however at fault here. This is where he (or the PA that posts this) should have consulted with Abati before posting.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by cold(m): 5:05pm On Aug 17, 2011
Enough of all these sound bites on FB abeg,in a bid to get 1000 'likes' & 2000 comments.GEJ just get to work & stop whining about insufficient time.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by maclatunji: 5:06pm On Aug 17, 2011
engineerd:

I think what he is trying to say is that, Apple is a tech based firm whose success is based entirely on Human resources (Tech and Innovation), while Exxon Mobil which is an Oil company and whose success is largely based on Natural resource. He is not trying to say people that work i oil companies don't need to go to school. Instead of throwing this man under the Bus for his lack of clarity, but i think we all get what he is insinuating. he has a very valid point! One day OIL will run out or there will be cheaper, greener alternatives, then what does Nigeria have to offer So he is just waking up and realizing knowledge and information is the future of a country, i.e Human resources is sustaining!

And I am saying that he should not feel vindicated about anything until the output of his "investment" shows. We all invest in different things in life, but I think it is foolhardy to count your chickens before they hatch no matter how beautiful and healthy they may look. Apple did not make headlines when they were investing in knowledge, they made headlines when knowledge bore them fruits- chikena!
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Akainzo(m): 5:08pm On Aug 17, 2011
engineerd:

My guy, Exxon-Mobil's success is not based on natural resources! Their success is based on harnessing human resources using high quality technology and innovation, to harvest the natural resources (oil) at market for profit.

Do not confuse a product with the company's success. Or are all banks not doing the same kind of business or are they not in the same sector, yet some fail while some collapse. The difference i how the harness their human capital and technology to deliver innovative services to customers.
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 17, 2011
maclatunji:

And I am saying that he should not feel vindicated about anything until the output of his "investment" shows. We all invest in different things in life, but I think it is foolhardy to count your chickens before they hatch no matter how beautiful and healthy they may look. Apple did not make headlines when they were investing in knowledge, they made headlines when knowledge bore them fruits- chikena!
I never said the success of Exxon Mobil was solely based on human resources. The fact is the sustainability of their success is Largely based on OIL which is a natural resource! There is a fundamental difference in sustaining continued innovation in humans to produce state of the art technologies that improve our lives! Exxon Mobil can have all the business innovation and tech to harness oil all they want, when the oil eventually runs out, then what? That is exactly the point i am trying to make!
Re: GEJ, Apple Corp, And Building New Universities by jokingmary(m): 5:32pm On Aug 17, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Utme Official Thread 2012/2013 Session / The Best Nigerian Universities For Some Selected Courses; Part 2. / Man Detained For Writing Exams For His Girlfriend While Dressed As A Lady[Photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.