Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,267 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia (4736 Views)

I Just Got To The Gambia / My Experience Living And Working In Gambia As A Dentist / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 8:57am On Oct 19, 2022
sageb:

Is the tuition fee for their public universities or their private universities?
Public. The private University there is American University, very over costly.
sageb:

How about opportunities, which sector is booming over there?
Business and Travel/vacation are the booming sectors

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 9:01am On Oct 19, 2022
doggedfighter:

I am very interested in this. Please do help me get the full details.

How about traveling, their visa process, flight costs?

When is the next academic calendar. These are what I do like to know

Hello, so I promised to get back to you.

They have the BSc Nursing and the Registered Nurse (RN).

The BSc is 3,700USD/year. It's a 4 years course. Admission into BSc Nursing have closed for the session.

The RN is 31,000 Dalasis (Around 320k naira)/year. This one is 3 years course. Application form for RN will be out by Novemeber.

2 Likes

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by oluomo2013: 5:13pm On Oct 20, 2022
Good update!!!!
Please how about phd admission(science) there.
Thanks
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by AllDModsAreMaad: 7:44pm On Oct 20, 2022
Pallazzo:

The BSc is 3,700USD/year. It's a 4 years course. Admission into BSc Nursing have closed for the session.

The RN is 31,000 Dalasis (Around 320k naira)/year. This one is 3 years course. Application form for RN will be out by Novemeber.

Hello bro, so I'm planning travelling to an European country for my Master's degree, but the financial aspect of it is something else.

I just come across this thread, how is their business life like and how much do you think one can move there with that will be OK to start a business with?

How is their cosmetics, make up or beauty business industry like?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Zeel007: 10:51pm On Oct 20, 2022
Nwaotu10:
Is doing Masters's degree affordable in Gambia?
Secondly are there jobs for B.A\M.A holders there?

I will be migrating through study route if Tinubu wins this presidential election cool
you don know say nah die for Nigeria if tinubu win this election grin grin
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Zeel007: 10:57pm On Oct 20, 2022
Pallazzo:

bro, thanks for this thread. Like how much do I need to travel to Gambia and settle. Please give me an estimation
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 11:53am On Oct 24, 2022
oluomo2013:
Good update!!!!
Please how about phd admission(science) there.
Thanks

I'm not privy to this information. The lecturer I know in The Gambia is doing her Phd in University of Ibadan.
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 12:00pm On Oct 24, 2022
AllDModsAreMaad:

Hello bro, so I'm planning travelling to an European country for my Master's degree, but the financial aspect of it is something else.

If you have 1st class or 2.1, go for scholarship. Check out scholars4dev.com

AllDModsAreMaad:

I just come across this thread, how is their business life like and how much do you think one can move there with that will be OK to start a business with?

Business is cool there but you have to consider that retailers buy on credit. The amount depends on the business. If you want to go into importing food stuffs, drinks, etc... 500k won't be bad. You just need to fond the correct people and understand the business before you start. Don't jump into it.

AllDModsAreMaad:

How is their cosmetics, make up or beauty business industry like?

They like make-up but most of them don't have that huge amount Nigerians pay for make-up. I know hairs/weavon does well there, Nigerians already dominated that area.

2 Likes

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 12:06pm On Oct 24, 2022
Zeel007:
bro, thanks for this thread. Like how much do I need to travel to Gambia and settle. Please give me an estimation

By road, 120k estimate for transport. I've posted air travel fare before.
90k for 6 months rent at 15k per month. This will be a room or if you're lucky, a room and parlor.
Getting a teaching job in Sec Schools is a bit easier for Nigerians. The pay can be from 30k to 60k per month depending on school. You can also do study (home lesson). I know someone that makes more than 120k/month only on home lesson, while school pay him 50k.

If you're into business, starting maybe hard because so many Nigerians, Senegalese and other foreigners are into business already. But with time, you can catch up and get going.

4 Likes

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Goodman247: 12:43pm On Oct 24, 2022
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 1:50pm On Oct 24, 2022
Goodman247:
Ewu Gambia grin

undecided undecided Badman247
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Munachimso30(m): 2:15pm On Oct 24, 2022
Pallazzo:

90k for 6 months rent at 15k per month. This will be a room or if you're lucky, a room and parlor.
Getting a teaching job in Sec Schools is a bit easier for Nigerians. The pay can be from 30k to 60k per month depending on school. You can also do study (home lesson). I know someone that makes more than 120k/month only on home lesson, while school pay him 50k.

If you're into business, starting maybe hard because so many Nigerians, Senegalese and other foreigners are into business already. But with time, you can catch up and get going.

Following up

Tell me more about doing business in Gambia
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by maiunguwar: 9:45pm On Oct 24, 2022
@op, can I as a Nigerian operate a bus transport business?

1 Like

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by AllDModsAreMaad: 7:07am On Oct 25, 2022
Pallazzo:

If you have 1st class or 2.1, go for scholarship. Check out scholars4dev.com

Business is cool there but you have to consider that retailers buy on credit. The amount depends on the business. If you want to go into importing food stuffs, drinks, etc... 500k won't be bad. You just need to fond the correct people and understand the business before you start. Don't jump into it.

They like make-up but most of them don't have that huge amount Nigerians pay for make-up. I know hairs/weavon does well there, Nigerians already dominated that area.

Thank you bro, I appreciate...
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by JoeLohic: 9:53am On Oct 25, 2022
Pallazzo:

How is transportation business over there?
Like Tricycles (Keke) brand of transportation... Do you think one can easily go into it there?

Meanwhile, the 90k room, does it include toilet/bathroom and where to cook?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 10:41am On Oct 25, 2022
maiunguwar:
@op, can I as a Nigerian operate a bus transport business?

Not any more. Nigerians were allowed before but later got banned. Only Gambians are now allowed. I'm sure Senegalese also operate, because both of them are almost same.

JoeLohic:
How is transportation business over there?
Like Tricycles (Keke) brand of transportation... Do you think one can easily go into it there?

Meanwhile, the 90k room, does it include toilet/bathroom and where to cook?

No. Nigerians are not allowed to go into transport in The Gambia.

The rooms will contain bathroom and toilet and kitchen.
Munachimso30:

Following up

Tell me more about doing business in Gambia

Business in The Gambia is a vast topic, narrow it down so I know how to answer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by JoeLohic: 10:57am On Oct 25, 2022
Pallazzo:

Not any more. Nigerians were allowed before but later got banned. Only Gambians are now allowed. I'm sure Senegalese also operate, because both of them are almost same.

How will they know I'm a Nigerian??
What if I disguise myself?�
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 3:39pm On Oct 25, 2022
JoeLohic:
How will they know I'm a Nigerian??
What if I disguise myself?�

Language. They speak more of their local language than English. Identifying Nigerians is easy for them as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Wilson500: 8:10pm On Oct 25, 2022
Pallazzo:

Language. They speak more of their local language than English. Identifying Nigerians is easy for them as well.

But can majority of the population speak and understand English
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 10:49pm On Oct 25, 2022
Wilson500:

But can majority of the population speak and understand English

Yes. Though upside down English grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Munachimso30(m): 12:21am On Oct 26, 2022
Pallazzo:

With the experience you have already in that country, Like what type of business do you advice someone to go into
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Munachimso30(m): 12:23am On Oct 26, 2022
I haven’t been there to know the type of business that moves there ? Foodstuffs, clothing and so fort
Or apart from that, what advice do ya have for someone that want to relocate to Gambia
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Firefox01: 8:08pm On Oct 26, 2022
Op, tell us about the women grin
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by AlphaTaikun: 8:46pm On Oct 26, 2022
Pallazzo:
Hello Guys,

I opened this thread for those that want to travel to The Gambia, do business (including import and export), or just travel for vacation/tour.

The Gambia is a small West African Country with roughly around 2million people in population. With virtually no natural resources, The country depends 'almost' on Tourists, Tasks, and Foreign intervention to survive.

Gambia enjoys almost 24 hours electricity in most of the towns, clean steady/healthy tap running water, with lots of Foreigners in the Country.

I happened to tour many sites in the country, they have beautiful hotels. Most of their hotels are beach hotels like... Kairaba Beach Hotel, Senegambia beach Hotel, Kalimba Beach hotel etc.

There are many Nigerians there, and Nigerians export items like bitter kola, alcohols, bitter drinks, food items, etc... On return, they import Fish from there. The Gambia has fish, and they're cheap there.

Many Nigerian students are there as well schooling and working.

Let me stop here. In case anyone want to go for vacation or want to learn something from The Gambia, drop your questions and I'll answer here. Please, all questions and answers will be here on this thread, not PM.

See this post on top Gambian Hotels >>> https://tariyaatravel.com/news/top-10-luxurious-and-affordable-hotels-in-the-gambia
Hi there!

Insights.

Are you into Travels and Tours business in the Gambia?

How is the global inflation affecting the economy of Gambia right now?

I'm sure you know that Ghana is also going through economic headwinds right now and they have many natural resources unlike Gambia.

All the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Perfectman91: 11:26pm On Oct 26, 2022
Pallazzo:
Hello Guys,

I opened this thread for those that want to travel to The Gambia, do business (including import and export), or just travel for vacation/tour.

The Gambia is a small West African Country with roughly around 2million people in population. With virtually no natural resources, The country depends 'almost' on Tourists, Tasks, and Foreign intervention to survive.

Gambia enjoys almost 24 hours electricity in most of the towns, clean steady/healthy tap running water, with lots of Foreigners in the Country.

I happened to tour many sites in the country, they have beautiful hotels. Most of their hotels are beach hotels like... Kairaba Beach Hotel, Senegambia beach Hotel, Kalimba Beach hotel etc.

There are many Nigerians there, and Nigerians export items like bitter kola, alcohols, bitter drinks, food items, etc... On return, they import Fish from there. The Gambia has fish, and they're cheap there.

Many Nigerian students are there as well schooling and working.

Let me stop here. In case anyone want to go for vacation or want to learn something from The Gambia, drop your questions and I'll answer here. Please, all questions and answers will be here on this thread, not PM.

See this post on top Gambian Hotels >>> https://tariyaatravel.com/news/top-10-luxurious-and-affordable-hotels-in-the-gambia

What is their black market exchange rate to dollars please for people who would like to relocate there for importation business?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Hadampson(m): 9:35am On Oct 27, 2022
Firefox01:

This kind of question reminds me of cutieme grin

1 Like

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by deraluv(m): 11:15am On Oct 27, 2022
Please OP thanks for your time in this thread please I would love to relocate to Gambia and live please tell me more about the security over there in the city is there anything like armed robbery, pick pocket Thiefs, kidnapping if so please which city in Gambia is more safer to live in and how much is the apartment over there lastly please would love to know about their police are they friendly hope the don't haras Nigerians like the do here in Nigeria the stop and search embracement or illegal house invading I would love to know more about this thanks.
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 1:27pm On Oct 28, 2022
Perfectman91:

What is their black market exchange rate to dollars please for people who would like to relocate there for importation business?

They don't have black market. A Dalasis (D, Gambian Currency) to USD is around D57. D57 is like #600.
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 1:37pm On Oct 28, 2022
Munachimso30:

With the experience you have already in that country, Like what type of business do you advice someone to go into

For importation, import from Nigeria. Bitter kola, Long women dress, Bottle Stout, all these herbal drinks like Alomo and the types. Then export back home dried fish.

For retailing, Cheap second clothes, shoes, bags, Nigerian food, car parts esp Mercedes as they use it for their taxi, motorcycle/bicycle parts.

AlphaTaikun:

Hi there!

Insights.

Are you into Travels and Tours business in the Gambia?

How is the global inflation affecting the economy of Gambia right now?

I'm sure you know that Ghana is also going through economic headwinds right now and they have many natural resources unlike Gambia.

All the best.

Yes, I'm into Travel and Tours in The Gambia.

The global economy affected almost all countries but not that bad in The Gambia like in Ghana. We had inflation but didn't hit bad. Thanks for dropping by.

Firefox01:
grin Their women are mostly black with hourglass shape... But not as neat as Nigerian girls. They have classic girls though, but the locals are more. You have to be careful with their women by the way, especially those 22yrs and below. It can be turned as rape or child abuse, one have to spend over half a million to pull out from that or spend many years in jail.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Hadampson(m): 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2022
deraluv:
Please OP thanks for your time in this thread please I would love to relocate to Gambia and live please tell me more about the security over there in the city is there anything like armed robbery, pick pocket Thiefs, kidnapping if so please which city in Gambia is more safer to live in and how much is the apartment over there lastly please would love to know about their police are they friendly hope the don't haras Nigerians like the do here in Nigeria the stop and search embracement or illegal house invading I would love to know more about this thanks.

From what I have seen so far on their page on facebook, they seem friendly and accommodating to people provided you are not even shady business.

Gambia is a one city country in Africa. Banjul is the only city you can stay and make money. I doubt if their other cities provide all the basic amenities that an average Nigerian crave for.
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by bizzibodi(m): 10:49pm On Nov 02, 2022
Pallazzo:

95% very peaceful Muslim. The Gambia is one of the most peaceful countries. There are Churches, RCCG, Winners, Anglican, Catholic, Mountain of fire, etc...

And most of their banks are Nigerian Banks. Like GTB, Access, Eco, FBN, and Zenith.

Arewa una see una life?Gambia a 95% Muslims country very peaceful.

1 Like

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by bizzibodi(m): 11:00pm On Nov 02, 2022
How can a country without natural resources has currency stronger than naira,Aw Lawd!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

North Cyprus Visa 7days / Got A Belize Visa And Need To Travel Urgently / My Encounter With Racism In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.