Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? (1677 Views)

What Programming Languages Do You Know? / What Programming Language Is Used In Creating Viruses? / What's Programming Lauguage Do You Think Is Best To Start With (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Devdevdev(f): 10:13pm On Oct 21, 2022
As a someone who is currently learning front end web development, research has led me to the realization that these days companies test both front end and back end developers on their knowledge of Data structures and Algorithms. The interviews are typically structured in styles similar to what you see in Leetcode and hackerRank.

JavaScript is currently the only language I know. People have advised to also concentrate on JavaScript at the backend with nodejs. But the problem is that you almost never see DSA learning resources for JavaScript. HackerRank doesn't even list JavaScript as one of the langauges to practice those sorts of questions. In most interviews the candidates are asked to choose between Python, Java and C family languages.

How does a frontend dev practice DSA? What is the best language to learn Data structures and Algorithms?
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Devdevdev(f): 10:17pm On Oct 21, 2022
tensazangetsu20 I'll really appreciate your opinion on this issue.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Guderian(m): 10:41pm On Oct 21, 2022
Here to see what those below have to say

2 Likes

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by mocochannel: 10:49pm On Oct 21, 2022
Devdevdev:
As a someone who is currently learning front end web development, research has led me to the realization that these days companies test both front end and back end developers on their knowledge of Data structures and Algorithms. The interviews are typically structured in styles similar to what you see in Leetcode and hackerRank.

JavaScript is currently the only language I know. People have advised to also concentrate on JavaScript at the backend with nodejs. But the problem is that you almost never see DSA learning resources for JavaScript. HackerRank doesn't even list JavaScript as one of the langauges to practice those sorts of questions. In most interviews the candidates are asked to choose between Python, Java and C family languages.

How does a frontend dev practice DSA? What is the best language to learn Data structures and Algorithms?
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by davien(m): 12:00am On Oct 22, 2022
It'll have to be python, less boilerplate code.
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by peanutbutterr: 12:07am On Oct 22, 2022
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:18am On Oct 22, 2022
The best language to do DSA is the language you know. I typically use java and JavaScript but if I have an interview today I am definitely using JavaScript since that's what I write more on. Programming is more of application than memorisation and as you get to apply a language frequently, you get to start knowing simple tricks and optimisations to manipulate data structures. My only beef with JavaScript is that it doesn't have heaps but you can use an array and simulate a heap data structure or if you wanna impress your interviewer and the time allows you can build your own heap from scratch. In face to face interviews you aren't allowed to use google so you need a language you know very very well.

Use the language you know very well besides there's JavaScript on hackkerank. I use It regularly even for online assessments.

10 Likes

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Hannania(m): 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
The best language to do DSA is the language you know. I typically use java and JavaScript but if I have an interview today I am definitely using JavaScript since that's what I write more on. Programming is more of application than memorisation and as you get to apply a language frequently, you get to start knowing simple tricks and optimisations to manipulate data structures. My only beef with JavaScript is that it doesn't have heaps but you can use an array and simulate a heap data structure or if you wanna impress your interviewer and the time allows you can build your own heap from scratch. In face to face interviews, you aren't allowed to use google so you need a language you know very very well.

Use the language you know very well besides there's JavaScript on hackkerank. I use It regularly even for online assessments.
The gel is to create an imaginary heap function and use it while informing the interviewer you'll code it later. 90% of the time, they will tell you to leave it(as long as you explain how you'll code it early on).

Some times these interviews need psychological trick.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Hannania(m): 12:36pm On Oct 23, 2022
Devdevdev:

Dont stress yourself learning a new language for DSA. Use this:

https://www.udemy.com/course/master-the-coding-interview-data-structures-algorithms/

100% in JavaScript, and highest rated in udemy. I used it while reproducing the code in python and Java

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:57pm On Oct 23, 2022
Hannania:
The gel is to create an imaginary heap function and use it while informing the interviewer you'll code it later. 90% of the time, they will tell you to leave it(as long as you explain how you'll code it early on).

Some times these interviews need psychological trick.

Yeah but some interviewers are devil's syndicate.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Johnchrix(m): 1:59pm On Oct 23, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

How much are you currently earning
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:09pm On Oct 23, 2022
Johnchrix:

How much are you currently earning

I have learnt to keep that private.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by jbreezy: 2:30pm On Oct 23, 2022
Devdevdev:

You can use any language op. There are some materials that teach DSA in Javascript. I once had a textbook that does, and if you want videos, check “codeevolution dsa with javascript” on youtube. The only reason python is favorable for dsa is because of interviews. You will solve your interview problems quicker writing in python.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Hannania(m): 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah cheesy. You'll surely read their countenance first na cheesy
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Esiman(m): 9:38am On Oct 24, 2022
Remain blessed, sir.
Hannania:
Dont stress yourself learning a new language for DSA. Use this:

https://www.udemy.com/course/master-the-coding-interview-data-structures-algorithms/

100% in JavaScript, and highest rated in udemy. I used it while reproducing the code in python and Java

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Hannania(m): 10:12am On Oct 24, 2022
Esiman:
Remain blessed, sir.
Amen

2 Likes

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Deicide: 10:54am On Oct 24, 2022
C, C++, Rust You need a language that's either strongly typed or statically typed. In as much as you can use languages like python or JavaScript to create nodes they hide a lot from you especially with handling memory. so you end up writing code that works but it's inefficient.

3 Likes

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Kvngfrosh(m): 12:29am On Oct 25, 2022
Hannania:
Amen
quick question chief, Which one should I focus on Spring Data Jdbc or Spring Data Jpa ?
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Hannania(m): 3:55am On Oct 25, 2022
Kvngfrosh:

quick question chief, Which one should I focus on Spring Data Jdbc or Spring Data Jpa ?
Go for JPA. It goes down to implantation . Behind the hood, JPA queries faster. Besides, check average job boards, and JPA is preferred to a point.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Tesvin: 8:42am On Oct 25, 2022
Deicide:
C, C++, Rust You need a language that's either strongly typed or statically typed. In as much as you can use languages like python or JavaScript to create nodes they hide a lot from you especially with handling memory. so you end up writing code that works but it's inefficient.
Hannania tensazangetsu20
Please what do you have to say about this?
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:47am On Oct 25, 2022
Tesvin:

Hannania tensazangetsu20

Like I said earlier use what you use with and know. You can use c++ or c or rust but if it's not something you use everyday so you can remember the functions you will flop with it in interviews. No one will allow you use google.

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Hannania(m): 9:50am On Oct 25, 2022
Tesvin:

Hannania tensazangetsu20
Python was chosen as a preferred language(if you know it or have 1 year of prep), because it lets you forget about the syntax, and just focus on the logic unlike C, C++, and other low-level friendly languages.

For issues of optimization, most algorithm enthusiasts are like spoilt rich kids who got everything in life without knowing how it was made. So new coders don't solve every Data structure from scratch. If you solve it from scratch, the issues of optimization will be negligible because you know the trade-offs of every data structure. Considering that, python is king and has a robust library only equal to Java in this interview space.

Check this out:
Recommended: Python, C++, Java, JavaScript

Acceptable (but prefer recommended if you are familiar): Go, Ruby, PHP, C#,

Avoid: Haskell, Erlang, Rust, Perl, C, Matlab

You must be mad: Brainfuck, Assembly

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Kvngfrosh(m): 10:35am On Oct 25, 2022
Hannania:
Go for JPA. It goes down to implantation . Behind the hood, JPA queries faster. Besides, check average job boards, and JPA is preferred to a point.
thanks
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Tesvin: 1:30pm On Oct 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Like I said earlier use what you use with and know. You can use c++ or c or rust but if it's not something you use everyday so you can remember the functions you will flop with it in interviews. No one will allow you use google.
Thanks.
You've made it more clear. It's best one sticks to the programming language he/she uses often
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Tesvin: 1:32pm On Oct 25, 2022
Hannania:
Python was chosen as a preferred language(if you know it or have 1 year of prep), because it lets you forget about the syntax, and just focus on the logic unlike C, C++, and other low-level friendly languages.

For issues of optimization, most algorithm enthusiasts are like spoilt rich kids who got everything in life without knowing how it was made. So new coders don't solve every Data structure from scratch. If you solve it from scratch, the issues of optimization will be negligible because you know the trade-offs of every data structure. Considering that, python is king and has a robust library only equal to Java in this interview space.

Check this out:
Recommended: Python, C++, Java, JavaScript

Acceptable (but prefer recommended if you are familiar): Go, Ruby, PHP, C#,

Avoid: Haskell, Erlang, Rust, Perl, C, Matlab

You must be mad: Brainfuck, Assembly

Thanks for this great insights.
This has laid so many of my doubt to rest. I will be sticking to the recommended, it's going to be either python or JavaScript as I use them often

1 Like

Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Kipaji: 3:49pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

I would say Java. It is in Java that I learned data structures and algorithms.
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by qtguru(m): 5:30pm On Dec 16, 2022
Java but I am using Dart since it's OOP and easy
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Sheriman(m): 1:13am On Dec 18, 2022
DSA.. i run away from that thing shocked shocked shocked
My head no carry am at all
Re: What Programming Language Is Best To Learn Data Structures And Algorithms? by Nobody: 4:34am On Dec 18, 2022
C++

Assembly

(1) (Reply)

What Is Java Programming About? / Software Companies Websites Developed By Another Web Development Company / XML/ JSON Format Of Nigerian Institutions And Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.