Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? (7088 Views)

Poll: SHould There Be A Law?

Yes: 48% (48 votes)
No: 52% (52 votes)
This poll has ended

About Female Dressing: Lessons From The Hijab / Indecent Dressing Among People Of Developing Countries / What Exactly is Indecent Dressing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by winta2007(m): 3:46pm On Aug 19, 2011
if they like let them go naked.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by Sike(m): 3:48pm On Aug 19, 2011
ayindeone:

If d federal GOVT. can do dis I think dat it will reduce d rate of crime and corruption of d nation.

Hmmm. If and only if statement!
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by tlops(m): 4:02pm On Aug 19, 2011
Since when did it become 'govt' job to dictate how people should dress in a secular nation.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by romeo(m): 4:15pm On Aug 19, 2011
Modern age brother!! make better use of your brain. sexual perverts!!
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by giftaino: 4:33pm On Aug 19, 2011
i no u ar a policeman and maybe ur father is a military man, so u want to start fiafia in gurls eh? let me catch u grin grin
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by xynerise: 4:41pm On Aug 19, 2011
^ na u get your mouth. grin.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by xynerise: 4:44pm On Aug 19, 2011
^ na u get your mouth. grin.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by pinkrex(m): 4:54pm On Aug 19, 2011
Sike:

Hmmm. If and only if statement!

I couldint go back looking for where you got that post from tho,

but BTW how can laws on indecent dressing reduce corruption in this country
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by rhamzus(m): 5:14pm On Aug 19, 2011
let them show off wat mama blessed dem with?
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by InkedNerd(f): 5:39pm On Aug 19, 2011
@OP: Who are you to tell someone what is decent and what isn't? What one person may consider decent may be inappropriate to another. I'll admit, I may not like the way someone else dresses but that doesn't give me the right to tell the person what or how they should dress. Even suggesting such a law leaves a lot of people open to harassment, discrimination, and unnecessary punishment.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by ronia(f): 8:36pm On Aug 19, 2011
If smbody feels comfortabl comin out frm his/her house.Then so be it!!!!!
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by ronia(f): 8:41pm On Aug 19, 2011
As in,smone coming out nicked frm his or her house comfortably,hmmm so be it.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by WebSurfer(m): 9:19pm On Aug 19, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by xynerise: 9:43pm On Aug 19, 2011
@inked. That is the voice of a pagan. I believe neither of the two major religion support indecent dressing. What you wear shows who you are. A true christian or muslim cannot wear what will expose his/her butt or breast in public. Use your head woman. Dont support what doesnt worth supporting. You cant tell me you will allow your mature children to walk the street in such dressing. Dont act like a civilized woman cos you are not 1% near it. Lets be rational about this pls.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by InkedNerd(f): 10:10pm On Aug 19, 2011
xynerise:

@inked. That is the voice of a pagan. I believe neither of the two major religion support indecent dressing. What you wear shows who you are. A true christian or muslim cannot wear what will expose his/her butt or bosom in public. Use your head woman. Dont support what doesnt worth supporting. You cant tell me you will allow your mature children to walk the street in such dressing. Dont act like a civilized woman cos you are not 1% near it. Lets be rational about this pls.   

Excuse me? So because you or others follow a supposed major religion, everyone else must adhere to the supposed religious practices of that religion? Why should your personal religious beliefs dictate how someone else lives their life?

And for the record, if you wanna make your point, you don't need to resort to childish insults. Grown up and stop having a hissy fit justbecause I chose to voice my opinion on this subject. Did I at any point in time tell you that you must believe or agree with what my views were? Did I tell specifically your views were wrong? Did I call you names of any sort? Did I try to belittle you? Please answer those questions since apparently your so keen on wanting to have a discussion on this matter. I simply stated my own opinion. If you are looking for a forum where everyone will nod in agreement to what you've said then I suggest you look elsewhere. When you learn to speak like an adult and stop throwing around underhanded childish insults then we can have a real discussion. In the meantime I suggest you grow and and learn to play with others since that seems to be something you don't know how to do.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by xynerise: 10:26pm On Aug 19, 2011
Inked na me u dey rap for? grin. Cmon lady your are getting it all wrong I thought you are in support of those that go with indecent dressing as a go ahead thing. I dont have a personal issue with u or anyone on this, but trying to call the bottom of a pot black when it is black. You better smile off ur sad face.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by InkedNerd(f): 12:28am On Aug 20, 2011
xynerise:

Inked na me u dey rap for? grin. Cmon lady your are getting it all wrong I thought you are in support of those that go with indecent dressing as a go ahead thing. I dont have a personal issue with u or anyone on this, but trying to call the bottom of a pot black when it is black. You better smile off your sad face.

What I am in support of is people choosing how they want to dress, whether it's fully clothed or half nạked. Its not my life nor is it my body. I don't have the right to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't wear on their body. Your religious background can't dictate how someone else lives their life. Even if I was saying that I feel that everyone should walk around nạked, is that any reason for you to have called me a pagan? Or for you to have told me to use my head? Lemme tell you something, there was a time when I was younger there was a particular way that I liked to dress. My parents didn't find it appealing because it wasn't what they liked--it wasn't because I was showing a lot of skin or not wearing a lot of clothes, it was because they personally disliked the style. It wasn't a style that scared people off or gave them a bad perception if me, they just didn't like it because it didn't suit their taste. I looked as you call it "decent" yet because they didn't find it appealing, they referred to it as indecent. Even this past summer while I was walking on my campus, I was wearing some simple shorts [which by the way weren't very short] and a tank top--I got tons of compliments on the outfit but noticed that when I passed by Orthodox Jewish women and Muslim women, I'd get dirty looks. My point here what one person may call decent, another may refer to it as indecent. I have no personal issues with you either, I was just stating my views on the subject.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by deadie(m): 12:33am On Aug 20, 2011
Law against indecent dressing? This is the kind of topic raised and supported either by religious nut jobs or borderline i.diots. Here is why. What will you define as 'indecent' dressing and where will you blur the line? I read that the governor of Plateau state banned wearing trousers in government institutions, do you consider trousers to be indecent? What you consider 'decent' in Lagos will probably get you flogged in Sokoto. An adult woman is old enough to decide what to wear and does not need someone else to make that decision for her, it is HER body. A Nigerian public official went to the UN to promote this idea and was humbled by a speaker from Jamaica. This is the kind of thing that occupy people who does not have better things to invest their time in.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by InkedNerd(f): 12:46am On Aug 20, 2011
deadie:

Law against indecent dressing? This is the kind of topic raised and supported either by religious nut jobs or borderline i.diots. Here is why. What will you define as 'indecent' dressing and where will you blur the line? I read that the governor of Plateau state banned wearing trousers in government institutions, do you consider trousers to be indecent? What you consider 'decent' in Lagos will probably get you flogged in Sokoto. An adult woman is old enough to decide what to wear and does not need someone else to make that decision for her, it is HER body. A Nigerian public official went to the UN to promote this idea and was humbled by a speaker from Jamaica. This is the kind of thing that occupy people who does not have better things to invest their time in.

Tell am o!!!! With all honesty, I have been wondering the same thing.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by xynerise: 6:52am On Aug 20, 2011
You guys are saying these because u are just looking at it from only a personal decision and concern. But have u ask what damages it causes in the society? Pls dont mix western civilization with Nigeria cultures. Indecent dressing is one of the reason for rap.e. Dont think it is only those that are too religious can talk about what is morally wrong. When u see a prostitut.e on the road what gave u the impression she is a prostitut.e? Her dressing of course. Trousers is never indecent if it doesnt bring out your real skin our or probably allows your butt to shake like bubbles. My sisters wear trousers but not the one that can make them look like prostitut.es. Pls I am not claiming holy man but I am saying what is morally wrong. Besides many schools in Nigeria are against indecent dressing. tongue
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by InkedNerd(f): 7:37am On Aug 20, 2011
xynerise:

You guys are saying these because u are just looking at it from only a personal decision and concern. But have u ask what damages it causes in the society? Pls dont mix western civilization with Nigeria cultures. Indecent dressing is one of the reason for rap.e. Dont think it is only those that are too religious can talk about what is morally wrong. When u see a prostitut.e on the road what gave u the impression she is a prostitut.e? Her dressing of course. Trousers is never indecent if it doesnt bring out your real skin our or probably allows your butt to shake like bubbles. My sisters wear trousers but not the one that can make them look like prostitut.es. Pls I am not claiming holy man but I am saying what is morally wrong. Besides many schools in Nigeria are against indecent dressing. tongue   

You know its one thing for you think your beliefs are correct, its another thing when you go around spewing incorrect information and putting blame on innocent victims. "Indecent" clothes are not the reason why there is rạpe. Rạpe isn't about sex, it is about control. People like YOU are the the reason why rạpe victims have a hard time coming forward. By saying the way a rạpe victim dresses is the reason why they are rạped, you not only further age old myths about rạpe, YOU condole them and allow it it continue. What kind of man are you to condemn a rạpe victim? If you don't realize that that's what you've just done, well then now you know. It's disgusting that despite all the information that is out there, people continue to have such notions. Even if someone was walking around nạked, is that any reason to rạpe the individual? Is there ever any reason for anyone to be rạped? Mind what you say because there are people out there who are suffering and cannot come forward because people like you automatically put blame on them. It's easy to blame the victim huh? The victim is the one that forced the rạpist eh? My stance on this issue has nothing to do with Western or Nigerian society so let's get that straight. You have yet to answer deadie's question on what is defined as "indecent". Do you know how many people both men and women who are fully clothed and are prȯstitutes? Don't judge a book by its cover. Whether or not your are claiming to be a holy man is irreverent. What makes it ok for you or anyone else for that matter to tell someone what or how they should wear their clothes? What sort of innate feeling is it that you possess that seems to make you think its ok for you to dictate how one chooses to dress? By the way, since you made mentioned of the the mixing of Western culture and Nigerian culture, keep in mind this same thing your advocating is what was culturally forced on your forefathers and foremothers. The clothes that you wear today are not the clothes of those who came before you. Someone just like yourself looked at them, your forefathers and foremothers and deemed the way they dressed to be indecent and at times immoral.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by deadie(m): 1:15pm On Aug 20, 2011
xynerise:

You just proved my point. Your sister wears trousers and you think it is decent, right? Well, governor Jang of Plateau state thinks that it isn't. Don't mix Western civilisation with Nigerian culture? Man, you are ignorant. Have you seen traditional Igbo dancers, their attire and how they shake their waist? Tell me they learnt that from Britain. Your sister will probably get stoned if she is to serve in one of the extreme Northern states wearing your 'decent' trousers. You guys live in the past. And you use provocative dressing to justify rap.e? Man, you are a complete m.oron. Have you been to Europe, or America? Have you seen the dressing in summer? Do they have increased rap.e in summer relative to winter? A rap.ist is an animal, even if your victim was walking around na.ked. Yes, many Nigerian schools are against 'indecent' dressing, but where do they rank academically in the world? My cousin told me when this was happening in ABSU and how students were being prevented from entering the campus because of their dressing. I felt ashamed, not just because it means we have complete i.diots running a state institution, but also because most students seem to welcome it! An undergraduate who passed entrance exams to the university is adjudged not fit to make decision on what clothes to wear to class? Schools have turned to religious institutions with little focus on scientific research and learning. Better to shut up than speak and prove to the rest of the world how ignorant and backward you are on issues.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by xynerise: 10:32pm On Aug 20, 2011
^ Are you addressing all these to me or your village king? undecided
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 20, 2011
Of course not. People should be free to wear what they want.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by Ibanfan: 1:13pm On Aug 21, 2011
If they are happy coming out the house dressed that way,
then they are welcome into my house dressed anyway.
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by pinkrex(m): 2:23pm On Aug 23, 2011
Whats actually your conclusions? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by skydeep(f): 1:14pm On Aug 24, 2011
Indecent dressing can be interpreted in different ways based on the culture and traditions of a society. There are some part of the world that people dress nake.d. Do u call that indecent? Where it is wrong on some gals is when they wear short skirts they begin to adjust it when they walk. Nobody force them to wear it. That is crazy I guess. grin
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by pinkrex(m): 1:59pm On Aug 24, 2011
41 against 51 grin grin grin grin
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 27, 2011
lol at don't follow Western culture, no be Oyinbo man wey give us clothes? Sexy dressing has always been a part of the African culture not to forget provocative dancing, in fact am sure the Westerners learnt a thing or 2 from us. The Government should better face more important issues
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 27, 2011
You may ask well ask for sharia law undecided
Re: Should There Be A Law On Indecent Dressing? by velo10: 3:46pm On Sep 10, 2011
Indecent dress sometimes is done to advertise one's endowment. Everybody get their own hustle grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Top Benefits Of Aloe Vera / Sunburn!!!* / Skimpy Dressers: Confidently Shy, Stupid, Or What?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.