Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,733 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? (34606 Views)

Which Food Can #1,000 Cook That Will Last For 3days? / What Food Can You Eat Everyday And Not Get Tired? / Instead Of Doing Yahoo, I Ventured Into Pap Making Business, At Age 19. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by BABANGBALI: 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2022
gloryhomemaker:

Beans is one of my favourite. I can eat it morning, afternoon and night but the price is gone up as well.
no wonder they call you atomic bomb whenever you mess

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by dfrost: 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2022
Rexymania:
It gets spoilts easily

Saw this online...

Raw sweet potatoes should not be refrigerated. Store in a cool, dry, dark place, unwrapped, for up to two months or at room temperature for up to a week. Cooked sweet potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator, frozen, dried or canned.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by frugal(m): 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2022
lovediehatelive:
the reality is hitting hard.

If sweet potatoes is cheaper and would ''hold body,'' then one should start looking into it

Please stick with your rice, don't come and increase the price of our sweet potatoes for us.

But truthfully tho, most peeps don't know that sweet potatoes are richer nutritionally than rice.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Philomath1212: 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2022
Pasta is the best alternative and relatively cheaper now compared to rice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Bahamas95(m): 6:18pm On Nov 05, 2022
mariahAngel:

The one wey we dey buy normally, no dey tay done. (Big white or big brown)
Also, if you have an electric jug, you can quickly boil some water to cook the beans with, to save you time and gas.
Electric jug needs power to work which is a problem in most parts of Nigeria.

I would advice anybody who have the opportunity to japa to do that without hesitation..... Nigeria is doomed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by jojothaiv(m): 6:19pm On Nov 05, 2022
Omihanifa:
The truth is that there no alternative. Except you want to be eating sweet potatoes
I hate that bastard, Irish potatoes would've been better but going to Pankshin every weekend is not feasible.

Na to reason tuwo masara

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Damian10(m): 6:21pm On Nov 05, 2022
The forever trusty garri, it doesn't fail grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by BABANGBALI: 6:21pm On Nov 05, 2022
I don fry half...
Tomorrow I go fry the remaining half ..
Make I dey manage abeg...��
Things too cost ��‍♀️

2 Likes

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by ThatsONYI: 6:22pm On Nov 05, 2022
shocked

Oh God, I weep and weep again.

This is what we going through, damn!

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Fr33born(m): 6:22pm On Nov 05, 2022
Holluwhakemmy:
Gari
Are you going to be eating only Garri or what?

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Nicepoker(m): 6:22pm On Nov 05, 2022
Go and farm. Your president said so. grin

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by GoooodHardDick: 6:22pm On Nov 05, 2022
lovediehatelive:
isn't it expensive like spaghetti

Don't mind that idiot.. macaroni is even more expensive than rice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by FLYFIRE(m): 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2022
shantti:

The problem is that it doesn't last. It spoils quickly
Exactly. Beans is my favourite food. Beside bloating, it will also discomfort your tommy if you eat it too often.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Anaya4life: 6:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
Couscous
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by ThatsONYI: 6:25pm On Nov 05, 2022
mariahAngel:

To avoid that, parboil for some minutes before cooking.

shocked

No matter how I parboil it, it still goes hard on me - though it kinda better than not doing it at all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by BurialGround: 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2022
lovediehatelive:
the reality is hitting hard.

If sweet potatoes is cheaper and would ''hold body,'' then one should start looking into it

Rice has no substitute, you can only substitute yam with sweet potatoes not rice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by vickydevoka(m): 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2022
shantti:

The problem is that it doesn't last. It spoils quickly
That's Irish potatoes
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Prinxxdave: 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2022
na to enter foodstuff business.. then you chop inside and sell gan

2 Likes

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by jojothaiv(m): 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2022
Reference:

Unfortunately for Nigeria we do not have a wide variety of staples. Rice is not a staple or indigenous to Nigeria so we toil to produce any reasonable quantities.

I guess cassava derivatives is what has economic benefits. It is our bottom line as far as good security is concerned.
Garri, Cassava flour, fufu/akpu...
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Btruth: 6:27pm On Nov 05, 2022
Omihanifa:
The truth is that there no alternative. Except you want to be eating sweet potatoes
even the sweet potatoes gan self nko?
How did we end up like this in Nigeria Lord? cry

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Btruth: 6:29pm On Nov 05, 2022
shantti:

Gas go dey finish quick nah.
grin grin grin
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Evidenx(m): 6:36pm On Nov 05, 2022
Kai! See Nigeria,people now ask for the cheapest food they can buy ogao!
It will never be well with buhari,his generation and every idiot in this government.
The funny part is that most of you suffering that can't buy food are still campaigning for APC..suffer nor dey tire you?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by mfm04622: 6:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
lovediehatelive:
Hi, with the growing price of rice, things don't seem to be cheap and eating rice would take much from one's earnings.

The unfortunate flood stories on frontpage and also increase in price of rice is worrisome, but man must survive.

I remember the time I used to buy spaghetti and hardly use rice. But one thing led to the other and the price of spaghetti increased and I was forced to look for alternative, and had to resort to rice because it was cheaper then.

Now same rice is increasing in price, what food would you suggest should be used to replace rice based on cost.
Sweet potatoes. It is very cheap when in season.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by nedekid: 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2022
Hmmm, and people still want to vote apc 2023. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by mfm04622: 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2022
BurialGround:

Rice has no substitute, you can only substitute yam with sweet potatoes not rice.

They are all carbohydrates. That is rice oo, yam ooo, sweet potatoes ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Mercury12(m): 6:40pm On Nov 05, 2022
mariahAngel:
If I suggest beans now, some might say your own is too much. Every time, beans. but yeah. Beans.
you no dey pity ur gas at all grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by mfm04622: 6:40pm On Nov 05, 2022
Bahamas95:
Electric jug needs power to work which is a problem in most parts of Nigeria.

I would advice anybody who have the opportunity to japa to do that without hesitation..... Nigeria is doomed.

You are advicing people to leave, have you taken your own advice?!

In this Nigeria, power is better nowadays. Though, using electricity to heat anything is more expensive than using gas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by sylve11: 6:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
mariahAngel:
If I suggest beans now, some might say your own is too much. Every time, beans. but yeah. Beans.

Where is that food that comes close to beans?
None! cool

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by WithFact: 6:42pm On Nov 05, 2022
My dear,
The only alternative is fasting of prophet David. One day in, one day out.

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by deltateam: 6:42pm On Nov 05, 2022
shantti:

Gas go dey finish quick nah.

Soak it in water for 30 minutes before cooking.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Munzy14(m): 6:45pm On Nov 05, 2022
lovediehatelive:
Hi, with the growing price of rice, things don't seem to be cheap and eating rice would take much from one's earnings.

The unfortunate flood stories on frontpage and also increase in price of rice is worrisome, but man must survive.

I remember the time I used to buy spaghetti and hardly use rice. But one thing led to the other and the price of spaghetti increased and I was forced to look for alternative, and had to resort to rice because it was cheaper then.

Now same rice is increasing in price, what food would you suggest should be used to replace rice based on cost.
Every food is unique in it's own way.

Rice has no replacement..Except you don't like rice..Moreover no cheap food again, if you can afford 3square meals atleast, you are doing well.

You can buy in smaller pack..The madness of high increment in price will phase out as we enter dry season gradually...

Nigerians are doing themselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:46pm On Nov 05, 2022
lovediehatelive:

you can buy hungry rice aka Acha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Sells Rat Meat By Roadside. Would You Buy? (Photos) / Europe-Based Nigerian Vlogger Laments Over Hike In Price Of Goat Meat This Xmas / Nairalander Eats Gbegiri soup and Amala For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.