Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? (34553 Views)

Which Food Can #1,000 Cook That Will Last For 3days? / What Food Can You Eat Everyday And Not Get Tired? / Instead Of Doing Yahoo, I Ventured Into Pap Making Business, At Age 19. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by NoToPile: 9:26pm On Nov 05, 2022
faithfull18:

Golden penny has a better taste, doesn't turn mushy and doesn't spoil quickly, it's no. 1 in the spaghetti category.

So I thought till I tried crown. Never ever boughtany other brand for years, until someone I respected her culinary opinion told me early this year to try it I did and got hooked.

As far as I know only golden penny and crown don't get mushy among our local brands. They once gave me honey well spag as a gift Chai it was a fatality.

Until you try crown you can't say golden penny has a better taste. I have tried both, besides the quality of golden penny has reduced drastically.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Benwallt(m): 9:27pm On Nov 05, 2022
Redomi:
Fufu N150, ponmo N100
can you finish that in one sitting? That's 3 raps of fufu
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by NoToPile: 9:28pm On Nov 05, 2022
Mcslize:

Pls pls don't remind me of childhood if you can't take me back to childhood just to have a feel and zoom back.

Don't let me she'd tears Please, I use Tutubu beg you.

Loool grin
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by NoToPile: 9:35pm On Nov 05, 2022
Thacutegemini:

that crown pasta does it stick together I have never tried any other type except from golden penny

It doesn't stick,I buy only fat spaghetti though, dunno about slim ones, their macaroni is also good the one I bought is called Twist cavato or something like that.

Abeg it's like this crown people will pay me for free advert oo ahan. angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by faithfull18(f): 9:36pm On Nov 05, 2022
NoToPile:

So I thought till I tried crown. Never ever boughtany other brand for years, until someone I respected her culinary opinion told me early this year to try it I did and got hooked.

As far as I know only golden penny and crown don't get mushy among our local brands. They once gave me honey well spag as a gift Chai it was a fatality.

Until you try crown you can't say golden penny has a better taste. I have tried both, besides the quality of golden penny has reduced drastically.
I have tried crown, noticed it goes bad quickly. Honeywell is absolute error. I couldn't get Golden penny the last time I went to the market, I had to settle for honey well, I almost cried.

Well, after complaining to colleagues, I was told to cook it with less water which I tried and it worked only that it's not as tasty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by mrkings84(m): 9:40pm On Nov 05, 2022
Kai, Sai.....
Sorry, no food is ever cheaper again under this APC government.

From rice to beans, garri to yam, plantain to whatever is food, nothing is cheap.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by NoToPile: 9:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
faithfull18:

I have tried crown, noticed it goes bad quickly. Honeywell is absolute error. I couldn't get Golden penny the last time I went to the market, I had to settle for honey well, I almost cried.

Well, after complaining to colleagues, I was told to cook it with less water which I tried and it worked only that it's not as tasty.

Hmm well I haven't noticed the going bad quickly side, i do keep in thermal flask for my kids for some considerable hours and it doesn't get spoilt maybe because the flask still keeps it hot though.

Honeywell is just out of the discussion don't even go there at all. cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by damoobaba: 9:57pm On Nov 05, 2022
Mom007:
Sweet potatoe is in season now... Stock up and enjoy!

It gets spoilt if you overstock
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by TheOgaBoss: 10:01pm On Nov 05, 2022
Omihanifa:
The truth is that there no alternative. Except you want to be eating sweet potatoes
is sweet potatoes cheap?
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Remnita(f): 10:02pm On Nov 05, 2022
lovediehatelive:
Hi, with the growing price of rice, things don't seem to be cheap and eating rice would take much from one's earnings.

The unfortunate flood stories on frontpage and also increase in price of rice is worrisome, but man must survive.

I remember the time I used to buy spaghetti and hardly use rice. But one thing led to the other and the price of spaghetti increased and I was forced to look for alternative, and had to resort to rice because it was cheaper then.

Now same rice is increasing in price, what food would you suggest should be used to replace rice based on cost.

Nah so una go Dey continue to dey suffer for that useless country called Nigeria
I really pity any youth wasting his/her time in that shit hole

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by felix281(m): 10:12pm On Nov 05, 2022
shantti:

How can u prevent it from spoiling quickly

Peeling and cut it in pieces,then store them your freezer.
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Kayrich(m): 10:28pm On Nov 05, 2022
lovediehatelive:
Hi, with the growing price of rice, things don't seem to be cheap and eating rice would take much from one's earnings.

The unfortunate flood stories on frontpage and also increase in price of rice is worrisome, but man must survive.

I remember the time I used to buy spaghetti and hardly use rice. But one thing led to the other and the price of spaghetti increased and I was forced to look for alternative, and had to resort to rice because it was cheaper then.

Now same rice is increasing in price, what food would you suggest should be used to replace rice based on cost.

Akamu is good with Oopa under 200 naira
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Limassol(m): 10:38pm On Nov 05, 2022
glingev:
Egbo(cornmeal) is a good alternative to rice.

What language is that? In Hausa language it's called tuwon massara.
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Probz(m): 10:39pm On Nov 05, 2022
Is it not couscous?
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Emu4u2c: 10:54pm On Nov 05, 2022
mariahAngel:
If I suggest beans now, some might say your own is too much. Every time, beans. but yeah. Beans.
I will get married to your type any day any time...
Beans is a major alternative.... people are hungry

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Bobbiee: 11:04pm On Nov 05, 2022
Noodles, you bum. Or garri
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by FahBuLous: 11:35pm On Nov 05, 2022
shantti:

Gas go dey finish quick nah.
Use enough onions cook am, e go fast soft...
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by MaverickA3: 12:03am On Nov 06, 2022
I don't know how much you love swallow. But if you want to be economical because of price of foodstuffs, you have to just prepare soup that will last you for like 3 days. Maybe Egusi soup. A cup (milk tin) is #200. Get scent leaves from your garden if you have or buy #100 vegetables. Prepare ur soup. Na to dey chop eba, fufu and semo in the morning, afternoon and evening respectively remain �

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Kobicove(m): 1:19am On Nov 06, 2022
Mom007:
Sweet potatoe is in season now... Stock up and enjoy!

I don't think you can store sweet potato for a long period undecided
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by cho25bc(f): 1:25am On Nov 06, 2022
mariahAngel:

Hahahahahahahaha

Apart from golden penny, I don't really trust any other Nigerian brand.
I've not tried the crown brand before.
I might give it a try though.
Spaghetti used to be a cheap alternative o, till it went up like the rest.

To tell you the truth, I'm not that much of a beans fan o, except it's ewa aganyin, or when paired with rice or plantain. cheesy

I just got introduced to crown this month. It's 400/satchet. Not bad at all. You can try it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Oduduwa707: 1:49am On Nov 06, 2022
Redomi:
Fufu N150, ponmo N100

That be "F9" & "P8" na grin
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Ikpongiton: 2:08am On Nov 06, 2022
Try garri and kuli kuli or akamu and kwose
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by KunGioKehRah: 3:39am On Nov 06, 2022
Spaghetti ofcourse
Could remember back then, all the rice those guys for my area dey sell na stone rice

Even a guy for my area went for appendix surgery ontop stone Stony rice.

I just dey eat yam, beans, semo and spaghetti

And funny thing about the spaghetti be say, e dey swell like kilode.

Well one man's food is another man's poison

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:28am On Nov 06, 2022
redsun:
White rice is a silent killer.Buy beans or garri.

How's white rice a silent killer?
Can you prove it scientifically?
Don't tell us about the sugar content because every carbohydrate giving food, including your garri, ends up as sugar(glucose) after digestion.
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by KangaIye: 4:38am On Nov 06, 2022
mariahAngel:
If I suggest beans now, some might say your own is too much. Every time, beans. but yeah. Beans.

Beans too is expensive now.
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Dnockeror333(m): 4:45am On Nov 06, 2022
mariahAngel:

The one wey we dey buy normally, no dey tay done. (Big white or big brown)
Also, if you have an electric jug, you can quickly boil some water to cook the beans with, to save you time and gas.

Would we put the beans into the boiling electric cooker?

Or pour the beans into the already boiled water?

1 Like

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by imagrg(m): 6:00am On Nov 06, 2022
Better alternative! grin
Redomi:
Fufu N150, ponmo N100
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by riverbird: 6:20am On Nov 06, 2022
mrksquare:

After picking your beans soak it in water all through the night. Then start cooking it in the morning. After the first water dries up change the water and add new one. Add plenty onions. That's the strategy to cook beans.

I cook beans alot without depleting my gas. I have been using my 12.5kg gas for over 4months now.

Thank you professor, oshe grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Redomi(m): 6:27am On Nov 06, 2022
Benwallt:
can you finish that in one sitting? That's 3 raps of fufu
if it is Igbo fufu, I cannot, but if it is Yoruba fufu, no qualm
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Redomi(m): 6:29am On Nov 06, 2022
deeway200:

some people can eat fufu worth 500
not Igbo fufu
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by hotplate: 6:33am On Nov 06, 2022
Ontop all of these calculations and permutations before you can eat One square meal some persons still plan on voting APC or PDP... ahh na God go purnish everybody that brought these sufferings upon us..

If in 2023 una still go vote rubbish na we all go suffer am.
Re: What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice? by Nobody: 6:36am On Nov 06, 2022
shantti:

Gas go dey finish quick nah.

You are rigth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Eat Or Pass? / Fake Eggs Now In Abuja. Parents Beware! / Woman Sells Rat Meat By Roadside. Would You Buy? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.