Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,733 members, 7,827,696 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

[opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer (3093 Views)

Can I Call Myself A Good Programmer If I Only Know Visual Basic / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer / Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

[opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by netghost: 11:30pm On Aug 20, 2011
Positive indicators:

Passionate about technology
Programs as a hobby
Will talk your ear off on a technical subject if encouraged
Significant (and often numerous) personal side-projects over the years
Learns new technologies on his/her own
Opinionated about which technologies are better for various usages
Very uncomfortable about the idea of working with a technology he doesn’t believe to be “right”
Clearly smart, can have great conversations on a variety of topics
Started programming long before university/work
Has some hidden “icebergs”, large personal projects under the CV radar
Knowledge of a large variety of unrelated technologies (may not be on CV)

Negative indicators:

Programming is a day job
Don’t really want to “talk shop”, even when encouraged to
Learns new technologies in company-sponsored courses
Happy to work with whatever technology you’ve picked, “all technologies are good”
Doesn’t seem too smart
Started programming at university
All programming experience is on the CV
Focused mainly on one or two technology stacks (e.g. everything to do with developing a java application), with no experience outside of it

http://inter-sections.net/2007/11/13/how-to-recognise-a-good-programmer/

WHAT DO YOU THINK? FEEL FREE TO MODIFY THE LIST
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by Thatdave(m): 3:55am On Aug 21, 2011
got to disagree with your negative indicators.
Many nigerian programers bend towards open source techs eg. Php. Many started in d university, many of ur negatives dnt apply to nigerian programers
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by netghost: 10:48pm On Aug 21, 2011
Thatdave:

got to disagree with your negative indicators.
Many nigerian programers bend towards open source techs eg. Php. Many started in d university, many of your negatives dnt apply to nigerian programers
yep, like to see a list of your negative indicators
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by Fayimora(m): 11:00pm On Aug 21, 2011
netghost:

Positive indicators:
Very uncomfortable about the idea of working with a technology he doesn’t believe to be “right”

Negative indicators:
Focused mainly on one or two technology stacks (e.g. everything to do with developing a java application), with no experience outside of it

I strongly disagree with the above quoted ones! Not everybody likes talking even if paid. Not being able to work with other technologies cause you dnt believe them to be right is bad! You must be able to adapt. Programming before Uni? Really? Dnt have to say anything more cause its bullshit!

Only a very confident programmer would put all his/her work on a cv. If you aint gat the balls then you aint gonna do it so it aint no negative indicator. Focussing on a line or 2 aint bad at all, its your goal. If you do something because you have to do it or because you wanna be taged "good", then your what I call BBIW. When it comes to Technology, you gotta do what you love, else your just the BBIW.
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by netghost: 12:11am On Aug 22, 2011
@Fayimora, whatz a BBIW?! grin grin
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by Fayimora(m): 2:05am On Aug 22, 2011
Biggest Bullshit In the World
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by candylips(m): 8:47am On Aug 22, 2011
a load of c.r.a.p
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by netghost: 9:26am On Aug 22, 2011
Fayimora:

Biggest Bullshit In the World
LOL

candylips:

a load of c.r.a.p
HUH ?!
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:09pm On Aug 22, 2011
Hmmm let me see, I disagree but that is just me
1: I am self-taught, VB+.NET, ASP+.NET, Oracle+MSSQL, COREL+ADOBE, CROSSFIRE, AIR
2: Hate talking about the whiz and bangs of technology unless i designed it myself or plug-in-in into an existing project
3: Will rather talk your ear off with Philosophy and antagonize Religious folks
4: No personal tech projects - Only Commercial ones (only personal project is being an accomplished music producer)
5: If you think Tech as a Service then you don't need to place your beliefs on a few or just one almighty technology
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by netghost: 6:04pm On Aug 22, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

Hmmm let me see, I disagree but that is just me
1: I am self-taught, VB+.NET, ASP+.NET, Oracle+MSSQL, COREL+ADOBE, CROSSFIRE, AIR
2: Hate talking about the whiz and bangs of technology unless i designed it myself or plug-in-in into an existing project
3: Will rather talk your ear off with Philosophy and antagonize Religious folks
4: No personal tech projects - Only Commercial ones (only personal project is being an accomplished music producer)
5: If you think Tech as a Service then you don't need to place your beliefs on a few or just one almighty technology

nice, constructive, and the article ain't mine , i just shared it, with the hope that nairaland programmers will have other ideas
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by Afam4eva(m): 5:56pm On Nov 28, 2011
Crappy crap.
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by purplekayc(m): 6:49pm On Nov 28, 2011
Crappy crap.

why dont you give us your own professional view??
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by worldbest(m): 7:53pm On Nov 28, 2011
I agree with this article big time.
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by FEMARY1: 8:42pm On Nov 28, 2011
smiley

Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 28, 2011
Different strokes for different folks. Someone just airing his opinions.
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by canadaik(m): 9:10pm On Nov 28, 2011

i think i am going to disagree with that point, sometimes you need to be exposed to varieties of things you did not have the chance to experience befor you find your one true love

i think there is a funny one i would love to add:
types an average of 30 words per minute! cool
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by fxpro1: 9:25pm On Nov 28, 2011
netghost:

Positive indicators:

Passionate about technology
Programs as a hobby
Significant (and often numerous) personal side-projects over the years
Learns new technologies on his/her own
Opinionated about which technologies are better for various usages
Clearly smart, can have great conversations on a variety of topics
Has some hidden “icebergs”, large personal projects under the CV radar
Knowledge of a large variety of unrelated technologies (may not be on CV)

Negative indicators:

Programming is a day job
Don’t really want to “talk shop”, even when encouraged to
Learns new technologies in company-sponsored courses
Happy to work with whatever technology you’ve picked, “all technologies are good”
Doesn’t seem too smart

http://inter-sections.net/2007/11/13/how-to-recognise-a-good-programmer/

WHAT DO YOU THINK?  FEEL FREE TO MODIFY THE LIST
+100. Beaf, ekt_bear ,omo_to_dun etc are examples on here.
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 9:36pm On Nov 28, 2011
Mmmmm
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by moderatorr: 11:11pm On Nov 28, 2011
NEGATIVE INDICATORS
believes in already made CMSes like wordpress,zencart etc
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by dastudent(m): 9:52am On Nov 29, 2011
Did you guys know that one of apple 's iOS jailbreakers is an Egyptian surgeon ?
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 29, 2011
100% agree

At least relevant in my case.
Re: [opinion] How To Recognise A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 4:07pm On Nov 29, 2011
Ummmm, I started in uni , does that make me a bad programmer?,

(1) (Reply)

Whatsapp Group Chat For C# &/or C++ / a / My Eyes Are Becoming Weak- Over Exposure To Computer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.