Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

"Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun (19226 Views)

Elesin Oba: The King’s Horseman Movie Review / Why "Elesin Oba" And "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For The 2023 Oscars / "The Wedding Party 2" Review: 26 Key Points Of The Movie By Shola Thompson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by marimarempress: 5:38pm On Nov 05, 2022
abbeyfel:
Must you go down that lane?

No insult intended. I just want Igbo good historical films. They can do great

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by babtoundey(m): 5:40pm On Nov 05, 2022
jimetagambo:
Watching it today.

Same thing people have said. They said it was colourful but story line was weak.

It is an adaptation. It's bond to be dry. Even staging the drama text is not a soft nut to crack.

One thing i know, no matter how weak Elesin Oba story line is, it can never be as childish as that of Anikulapo. For Anikulapo, I'm still searching for where the hypes are coming from. The only thing I see is the beautiful camera shots and setting.

1 Like

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by babtoundey(m): 5:42pm On Nov 05, 2022
seanwilliam:
Like for anikulapo share for eleshinoba

I can't subject myself to the pains of rewatching Anukulapo even if I would be paid.
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Alhajiemeritus: 5:44pm On Nov 05, 2022
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by meedoLock(m): 5:49pm On Nov 05, 2022
abbeyfel:
So we don't have sex in Africa? If we are sexual beings like every other race, then why not include it in our movies, then rate it for mature viewers and emphasize its sexual contents! Hmmmm. Africans and hypocrisy!

Ok, haven't said that, how do you intends to regulate the so called mature view rating in the face of fast growing social media influences? That is not like African, what we protect, other races might do otherwise. Asians for example don't reveal sexual activities in their movies, you barely see Indian kissing in their movies too, does it mean they don't have sex or they are been hypocrite?. Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Simeonjoe1: 5:49pm On Nov 05, 2022
membranus:
The emotional display of Odunlade and the white couple in the last scenes where the Elesin Oba's foreign trained son died were too fakery, not convincing enough.

Moreover, the characters in the book itself and its emotional contents by Wole Soyinka are much more realistic than those displayed in the film.

So, I will give the film 6/10.

Also I noticed that sexual activities are now blatantly displayed in Yoruba films, like Anikulapo and this, and this is highly uncultural and disturbing.

I shock as I see breat for anikulapo like wth I run from Hollywood just to encounter this in nollywood .... Mehn pls they don't have to copy the west in that aspect

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by A001: 5:57pm On Nov 05, 2022
Great movie

1 Like

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Spandau: 6:12pm On Nov 05, 2022
babajeje123:
So boring a film

For your immature mind, boy

1 Like

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by porthouse7(f): 6:53pm On Nov 05, 2022
I watched it yesterday, not bad but I still prefer anikulapo, but Nigeria Yoruba film sef don join bad gang... Show breast freely

1 Like

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by porthouse7(f): 6:56pm On Nov 05, 2022
HomeTutorsPro:
I just finished watching the movie.
Two things that didn't go well.

1. When Elesin Oba was in detention, he spoke Yoruba to the white man. The white man responded in English. There was no interpreter.
Did the Traditional Yoruba chiefs who did not have western education understand English?
Did the White men who came to Yorubaland during that time understand Yoruba?

2. Just before Elesin climbed the table to hang himself with the chains on his hands, the white and his guards saw him.
He climbed, wrapped the chain around his neck, pushed the table down and the white man and his guards were still struggling to open the cell lock.
Meanwhile, when Iyaloja arrived, it took the white man less than 5 seconds to open the lock.
Even if it took that long to open the lock, the time was too short for Elesin to have died.
bad guy, I noticed all d undoing too
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by porthouse7(f): 6:56pm On Nov 05, 2022
seanwilliam:
Like for anikulapo share for eleshinoba
watched it yesterday, not bad but I still prefer anikulapo, but Nigeria Yoruba film sef don join bad gang... Show breast freel
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by porthouse7(f): 6:58pm On Nov 05, 2022
AbdulHakeem44:

Many people haven't watched Eleshin oba, so the vote is unwise. My opinion
anikulapo is by far better, eleshin colour sweet though
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Jozilinn: 7:10pm On Nov 05, 2022
jimetagambo:
Watching it today.

Same thing people have said. They said it was colourful but story line was weak.
over boring self the way odunlade was behaving in the film just weak me,I even thought his son was with the English since they trained him until I saw him dead...they could have done better with the casting and story line.
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by foliman(m): 8:01pm On Nov 05, 2022
HomeTutorsPro:

1. When Elesin Oba was in detention, he spoke Yoruba to the white man. The white man responded in English. There was no interpreter.
Did the Traditional Yoruba chiefs who did not have western education understand English?

2. Just before Elesin climbed the table to hang himself with the chains on his hands, the white and his guards saw him.
He climbed, wrapped the chain around his neck, pushed the table down and the white man and his guards were still struggling to open the cell lock.
Meanwhile, when Iyaloja arrived, it took the white man less than 5 seconds to open the lock.
Even if it took that long to open the lock, the time was too short for Elesin to have died.

Exactly my view!
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Lamanii22(f): 8:04pm On Nov 05, 2022
babajeje123:
So boring a film
especially the white people part… I played it for my dad he slept in between watching the movie lol
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by phemmyfour: 8:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
OLamylove:
While ‘Elesin Oba’ is filled with many moral lessons, there appears to be a shortfall in its layers and dialogue.

Movie Title: Elesin Oba: The King’s horseman

Director: Biyi Bandele

Date of release: 28th September 2022

Runtime: 2 hours

Cast: Odunlade Adekola, Shaffy Bello, Brymo, Deyemi Okanlawon, Omowunmi Dada, Jide Kosoko, Kevin Ushi, Jenny Stead, Mark Elderkin, Langley Kirkwood, Taiwo Ajai-Lycett, and Joke Silva.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/entertainment/nollywood/562283-movie-review-elesin-oba-passes-check-on-brilliant-cinematography-immersive-storyline.html
Run time isn't 2hrs, it's 1hr 36mins.

As a blogger, you should pay attention to little details
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Nettybrown(m): 8:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
malali:
Ifeanyi Adeleke was autistic.
His death reeks of orchestration.
Societal stigma of rich wealthy people having autistic children should be softened.

#Autism speaks.

No wonder he was hyperactive(restlessness)! One of the signs of autism.
RIP BOY
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by phemmyfour: 8:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
HomeTutorsPro:

Did the White men who came to Yorubaland during that time understand Yoruba
?

That was delibrate. Both parties had lived together for long and needed no interpretation of the languages. It's easier to understand than speak a language.

Elesin Oba is an adaptation of a literature book written by Wole Soyinka. The director didn't go outside the script

3 Likes

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:47pm On Nov 05, 2022
One thing with movie adaptations is that they hardly ever measure up.

And that is beside the fact that Wole Soyinka is the most poetic living playwright. It is already hard enough staging his plays, let alone adapting it for the big screen.
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by HomeTutorsPro: 9:19pm On Nov 05, 2022
phemmyfour:
That was delibrate. Both parties had lived together for long and needed no interpretation of the languages. It's easier to understand than speak a language.

Elesin Oba is an adaptation of a literature book written by Wole Soyinka. The director didn't go outside the script

Well...
The script did a poor job then.
People living together in the same locality is entirely different from people interacting with one another.
The entire movie didn't give a single hint to the fact that they interacted with each other.
There should at least be one scene where they are seen to mix somehow.
Maybe the white man (or woman) making an effort to learn the Yoruba language, maybe from Amusan and attempting to transfer such to her husband and having fun of it.
Then the Elesin himself should be seen in such a situation.
The producers assumed that when people live together, they understand each other's languages.
That is a wrong assumption.
I am sure they also want viewers to assume that hanging always leads to death.
I still believe they could've done better.

1 Like

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Remnita(f): 10:26pm On Nov 05, 2022
Googledotcom:
Boring is an understatement. I spent most time fast forwarding the movie every single minute.

Even king of thieves very nonsense movie

1 Like

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Omolomo4eva(m): 10:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
I need someone to send the film to me. Gotta watch it
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Lekan239(m): 11:18pm On Nov 05, 2022
HomeTutorsPro:

1948 or so
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by nahr(f): 6:12am On Nov 06, 2022
I actually watched Anikulapo and Elesinoba over the weekend. I found Anikulapo quite superficial like many things didn't add up but the setting, shooting and cast was great. Saro and Arolake's toxic love was quite interesting and somehow painful to watch at the end but that was that. The Yoruba dialogues were quite great and the rivalry between the king's wives was pretty entertaining to watch.

While Alesionba to me is more developed in terms of telling its story. I got its message aptly at once, like the conflict between the British colonialists and the traditional settings they met on ground. I loved Shaffy Bello's performance and her line deliveries were great. Her iro and buba was just too beautiful too. Odunlade's acting was quite okay too, I am glad he could feature in such a ground breaking movie even though he is like a local star already. The colonial building used in the movie was grand and realistic too.

In summary, while Anikulapo had captivating scenes and interesting dialogues, I prefer Elesinoba to it because I could relate better to the struggles portrayed in it. Both of the producers Kunle Afolayan and Biyi Bandele RIP did a great job with their movies. These are the kind of Yoruba movies I want gracing our screens. The type I can tell a foreigner to watch to learn about your history, culture and tradition.

You know I watched these movies over newly released Hollywood movies. It's a good thing if we can all support our local movies especially ones that are well made. I hope to see more of movies like this, that tell our story and also let other people a peek into what the great Yoruba kingdom used to look like before the advent of the British colonialists.

3 Likes

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by ojonugba2014(m): 6:46am On Nov 06, 2022
Low budget
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by temitope27(m): 7:18am On Nov 06, 2022
meedoLock:

Ok, haven't said that, how do you intends to regulate the so called mature view rating in the face of fast growing social media influences? That is not like African, what we protect, other races might do otherwise. Asians for example don't reveal sexual activities in their movies, you barely see Indian kissing in their movies too, does it mean they don't have sex or they are been hypocrite?. Your guess is as good as mine.
maybe u re not watching Asian movie, even South Korea show nude in their movie this days.

Everyone don gone pass that hypocracy
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by temitope27(m): 7:19am On Nov 06, 2022
porthouse7:
I watched it yesterday, not bad but I still prefer anikulapo, but Nigeria Yoruba film sef don join bad gang... Show breast freely
so na that one u Remember grin onisekuse
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by phemmyfour: 8:24am On Nov 06, 2022
HomeTutorsPro:

Well...
The script did a poor job then.
People living together in the same locality is entirely different from people interacting with one another.
The entire movie didn't give a single hint to the fact that they interacted with each other.
There should at least be one scene where they are seen to mix somehow.
Maybe the white man (or woman) making an effort to learn the Yoruba language, maybe from Amusan and attempting to transfer such to her husband and having fun of it.
Then the Elesin himself should be seen in such a situation.
The producers assumed that when people live together, they understand each other's languages.
That is a wrong assumption.
I am sure they also want viewers to assume that hanging always leads to death.
I still believe they could've done better.
Ignorance
You have little or no knowledge about literature drama and poetry
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by meedoLock(m): 9:31am On Nov 06, 2022
temitope27:
maybe u re not watching Asian movie, even South Korea show nude in their movie this days.

Everyone don gone pass that hypocracy

Bro, permit me to say that's a far lie, the Korean especially don't do that if you do see their movies. Especially in their traditional sets
Maybe you want to tell me about India too?
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by temitope27(m): 9:39am On Nov 06, 2022
meedoLock:

Bro, permit me to say that's a far lie, the Korean especially don't do that if you do see their movies. Especially in their traditional sets
Maybe you want to tell me about India too?
bro, am not lieing oo, it's a city movie

1 Like

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by biyiwyle(m): 11:25am On Nov 06, 2022
I'm not impressed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Premiere Of "Anyanwu Ututu": Pete Edochie, Patience Ozokwor, Rita Edochie Attend / Yul Edochie Speaks On “Sex For Roles” In Nollywood / BBTitans: My Father Labeled Me A Mistake, He Never Believed In Me — Nana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.