Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,826 members, 7,828,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

"Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun (19231 Views)

Elesin Oba: The King’s Horseman Movie Review / Why "Elesin Oba" And "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For The 2023 Oscars / "The Wedding Party 2" Review: 26 Key Points Of The Movie By Shola Thompson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by ejieddy: 12:44pm On Nov 06, 2022
Boring movie... Lacked plot and repetitive storyline. The film could have been 15 minutes and it would have covered the whole plotline. That's 90 minutes of my life I'm not getting back. Also, I faulted the inclusion of joke Jacobs and the other women, even Olunde. The only person central to the plot apart from Elesin himself, shaffy bello (iyaloja) was the white man. And maybe Amusan. It was too weak a story and the acting was sometimes annoying. Maybe it's the dialogue or the one who wrote it. I couldn't understand why Odunlade (Elesin) shouted sometimes.

Olunde was too intent on lecturing the white man that his words just felt forced and flat. I'll give it a 2/10. We have witnessed great movies this year that this one was just too terrible for me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Ijb11: 3:12pm On Nov 06, 2022
grin
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by Psady(m): 4:05pm On Nov 06, 2022
Just finished seeing the movie, not my kind of movie though, very poor in terms of entertainment, but message passed across. A kunle afolayan in place of Mo abudu would have directed such a genre of movie better.

1 Like

Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by delpee(f): 4:52pm On Nov 06, 2022
I love the display of culture but the acting wasn't so great apart from Shaffy Bello. I believe that historically, that was how the abobaku matter came to an end but it wasn't depicted in the film. Perhaps I should read my history books and Soyinkas book on the storyline again.

2 things...
I think Yoruba films should do less of nudity so our young ones can watch and learn the historical aspects of our lives.

I don't understand how the white man was able to understand and respond perfectly to those speaking Yoruba to him. No interpreter...I kept trying to find someone doing that. Lol
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by chukwugoziegi: 8:05pm On Nov 06, 2022
nahr:
I actually watched Anikulapo and Elesinoba over the weekend. I found Anikulapo quite superficial like many things didn't add up but the setting, shooting and cast was great. Saro and Arolake's toxic love was quite interesting and somehow painful to watch at the end but that was that. The Yoruba dialogues were quite great and the rivalry between the king's wives was pretty entertaining to watch.

While Alesionba to me is more developed in terms of telling its story. I got its message aptly at once, like the conflict between the British colonialists and the traditional settings they met on ground. I loved Shaffy Bello's performance and her line deliveries were great. Her iro and buba was just too beautiful too. Odunlade's acting was quite okay too, I am glad he could feature in such a ground breaking movie even though he is like a local star already. The colonial building used in the movie was grand and realistic too.

In summary, while Anikulapo had captivating scenes and interesting dialogues, I prefer Elesinoba to it because I could relate better to the struggles portrayed in it. Both of the producers Kunle Afolayan and Biyi Bandele RIP did a great job with their movies. These are the kind of Yoruba movies I want gracing our screens. The type I can tell a foreigner to watch to learn about your history, culture and tradition.

You know I watched these movies over newly released Hollywood movies. It's a good thing if we can all support our local movies especially ones that are well made. I hope to see more of movies like this, that tell our story and also let other people a peek into what the great Yoruba kingdom used to look like before the advent of the British colonialists.

Have you seen "The Woman King" ?
Re: "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun by nahr(f): 8:33pm On Nov 06, 2022
chukwugoziegi:

Have you seen "The Woman King" ?

Nope, I have plans to watch it next weekend though. It has been really hyped.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Premiere Of "Anyanwu Ututu": Pete Edochie, Patience Ozokwor, Rita Edochie Attend / Yul Edochie Speaks On “Sex For Roles” In Nollywood / BBTitans: My Father Labeled Me A Mistake, He Never Believed In Me — Nana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.