Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,749 members, 7,820,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Solve This Amazon Interview Question - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Solve This Amazon Interview Question (2704 Views)

Can You Solve This Google Coding Interview Problem? (pics) / Chatgbt Is A Scam. It Cant Solve This Simple Thing I Ask Him / A "Senior" Software Developer Could Not Solve This Coding Challenge, Can You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 8:24pm On Nov 01, 2022
CyberHustle:
How will sorting alone help identify array values lesser, equal to and greater than X?

My solution involves sorting it and then looping thru to identify where values lesser than, equal to and greater then X either end or start. If you are implementing the sort algorithm, you could combine both processes otherwise depend on language shipped sorting function then loop thru to know indexes of interests.
given x = 10 and lst = [9, 12, 3, 5, 14, 10, 10],
sorting lst would yield: [3, 5, 9, 10, 10, 12, 14].
This satisfies the constraints, no need for further processing.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by CyberHustle: 6:59pm On Nov 02, 2022
namikaze:
This problem was asked by Amazon.

Given a pivot x, and a list lst, partition the list into three parts.
* The first part contains all elements in lst that are less than x
* The second part contains all elements in lst that are equal to x
* The third part contains all elements in lst that are larger than x
Ordering within a part can be arbitrary.
For example, given x = 10 and lst = [9, 12, 3, 5, 14, 10, 10],
one partition may
be [9, 3, 5, 10, 10, 12, 14].

Can you solve it in strictly O(n) time and O(1) space complexity?
I'd like to see what you come up with.

namikaze:

given x = 10 and lst = [9, 12, 3, 5, 14, 10, 10],
sorting lst would yield: [3, 5, 9, 10, 10, 12, 14].
This satisfies the constraints, no need for further processing.
Please compare the challenge and your solution. Where are the three parts of the original list? That's is less than X, X, and greater than X?
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 1:16am On Nov 03, 2022
CyberHustle:

Please compare the challenge and your solution. Where are the three parts of the original list? That's is less than X, X, and greater than X?
The three parts should be in the original list, i.e lower than x the first section, equal to x next and greater than x last.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by CyberHustle: 12:58pm On Nov 03, 2022
namikaze:

The three parts should be in the original list, i.e lower than x the first section, equal to x next and greater than x last.
you mean the sorted version of the original list?
It makes no sense to me because I don't know where to start looking at I need just values greater than X.
If really want to obtain values greater than X alone, I need to know where the first value greater than X is then go until I reach the end.
That can be achieves by either looping through one extra time or noting those indexes during sorting(within sorting algorithm).
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by CyberHustle: 1:06pm On Nov 03, 2022
namikaze:

If sorting alone is a valid solution then your question is senseless and pointless. Sounds a lot like you looking for clout.

If I need the values less than, equals to, and greater than X, I just loop through and pick the values if it matches my interest. To have three different list within a list. You must know where the less than X values end and note that index in a variable(x_starts for example) then know where greater than X starts(x_ends) in another variable. Any value between is X.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by Deicide: 5:30pm On Nov 03, 2022
Using extra space would have made it easy. Cause then you can use 3 for loops but the space complexity would be o(n). It would look something like this

Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 6:24pm On Nov 03, 2022
CyberHustle:
If sorting alone is a valid solution then your question is senseless and pointless. Sounds a lot like you looking for clout.

If I need the values less than, equals to, and greater than X, I just loop through and pick the values if it matches my interest. To have three different list within a list. You must know where the less than X values end and note that index in a variable(x_starts for example) then know where greater than X starts(x_ends) in another variable. Any value between is X.
Calm down, you're the only saying the question is pointless, it justs means you probably don't understand it yet.
Think of it as quicksort's partitioning algorithm, every item smaller than or equal to the pivot goes left of the pivot, greater than or equal goes to right.
for example;
piv = 5, arr = [2,5,1,4,7,3,6]
some valid solutions include:
1. [2,4,3,1,5,7,6].
2. [1,2,3,4,5,6,7].
note that 2 is just the array sorted.

The same goes for the question but with the new constraint that all items equal to the pivot stays at the middle, together with the pivot.
for example;
piv = 5, arr = [5,2,5,1,4,5,7,3,6]
1. [2,4,3,1,5,5,5,7,6].
2. [1,2,3,4,5,5,5,6,7].
note that 2 is also just the array sorted.
sigh.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 6:26pm On Nov 03, 2022
Deicide:
Using extra space would have made it easy. Cause then you can use 3 for loops but the space complexity would be o(n). It would look something like this
This is correct, but space to beat is O(1), which is actually the tricky part.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by Najdorf: 7:26pm On Nov 03, 2022
CyberHustle:

We have explained this thing multiple times in different ways...

I'm even tired sef grin
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by Deicide: 8:27pm On Nov 03, 2022
namikaze:

This is correct, but space to beat is O(1), which is actually the tricky part.
Space is cheap grin
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 9:21am On Nov 04, 2022
Najdorf:
I'm even tired sef grin
I dey tell you, he really should look at it from a different perspective.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 9:22am On Nov 04, 2022
Deicide:
Space is cheap grin
Not until you have 5 billion records to process.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by CyberHustle: 8:41pm On Nov 04, 2022
namikaze:

Calm down, you're the only saying the question is pointless, it justs means you probably don't understand it yet.
Think of it as quicksort's partitioning algorithm, every item smaller than or equal to the pivot goes left of the pivot, greater than or equal goes to right.
for example;
piv = 5, arr = [2,5,1,4,7,3,6]
1. [2,4,3,1,5,7,6].
2. [1,2,3,4,5,6,7].
note that 2 is just the array sorted.

The same goes for the question but with the new constraint that all items equal to the pivot stays at the middle, together with the pivot.
for example;
piv = 5, arr = [5,2,5,1,4,5,7,3,6]
1. [2,4,3,1,5,5,5,7,6].
2. [1,2,3,4,5,5,5,6,7].
note that 2 is also just the array sorted.
sigh.
If I reply you the way I ought to, this thread will derail.
Your own question say we need three new lists. But your solution shows only one list and therefore is incomplete. What you have there is a human readable solution and not a computer readable one.

Lastly, any moniker accepting your clearly incomplete solution is your alternate.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by CyberHustle: 8:44pm On Nov 04, 2022
Najdorf:

I'm even tired sef grin
Instead of playing games, show me the three different lists in your solution.
That rubbish you are calling a solution with three list is one sorted list that leaves no room for where list one ends and where list two starts.

You should be practicing and not wasting peoples time.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by MindHacker9009(m): 12:08pm On Nov 05, 2022
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 7:57pm On Nov 05, 2022
CyberHustle:
If I reply you the way I ought to, this thread will derail.
Your own question say we need three new lists. But your solution shows only one list and therefore is incomplete. What you have there is a human readable solution and not a computer readable one.

Lastly, any moniker accepting your clearly incomplete solution is your alternate.
Three parts! not three lists, you just don't understand the problem, admit it.

1 Like

Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by CodingSoft: 1:08pm On Nov 06, 2022
namikaze:
This problem was asked by Amazon.

Given a pivot x, and a list lst, partition the list into three parts.
* The first part contains all elements in lst that are less than x
* The second part contains all elements in lst that are equal to x
* The third part contains all elements in lst that are larger than x
Ordering within a part can be arbitrary.
For example, given x = 10 and lst = [9, 12, 3, 5, 14, 10, 10],
one partition may
be [9, 3, 5, 10, 10, 12, 14].

Can you solve it in strictly O(n) time and O(1) space complexity?
I'd like to see what you come up with.

I cannot find any use of this coding test on Amazon shopping site. Their site only has these types of sorting: Price: Low to high, Price High to low, Avg. Customer review and Newest arrivals. None of these requires this type of coding test. All that is needed for these are to use the sorting provided by the programming language to achieve these basic kinds of sorting.

This kind of coding test is only useful when it comes to games programming as you'll have to store data in arrays and manually check and retrieve them using the quickest logic possible.

It is not possible to accomplish this coding test in O(1) as you cannot accomplish this task without a nested loop.

O(1) describes an algorithm that will always execute in the same time (or space) regardless of the size of the input data set.

bool IsFirstElementNull(IList<string> elements)
{
return elements[0] == null; //Source: https://rob-bell.net/2009/06/a-beginners-guide-to-big-o-notation/
}
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 7:35pm On Nov 06, 2022
CodingSoft:

I cannot find any use of this coding test on Amazon shopping site. Their site only has these types of sorting: Price: Low to high, Price High to low, Avg. Customer review and Newest arrivals. None of these requires this type of coding test. All that is needed for these are to use the sorting provided by the programming language to achieve these basic kinds of sorting.

This kind of coding test is only useful when it comes to games programming as you'll have to store data in arrays and manually check and retrieve them using the quickest logic possible.

It is not possible to accomplish this coding test in O(1) as you cannot accomplish this task without a nested loop.

O(1) describes an algorithm that will always execute in the same time (or space) regardless of the size of the input data set.

bool IsFirstElementNull(IList<string> elements)
{
return elements[0] == null; //Source: https://rob-bell.net/2009/06/a-beginners-guide-to-big-o-notation/
}
1. loop nesting does not affect space complexity by it self.
2. Time and space are measured differently, there is no "time or space", there's only "time and space"
3. O(1) for time differs from the O(1) for space.
4. The problem is solvable in O(n) time, not O(1).
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by Kvngfrosh(m): 2:12am On Nov 08, 2022
Deicide:
Recommend a Linux distro….I’ve used Ubuntu 20.04 or so and I didn’t like it…
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by Deicide: 3:20am On Nov 08, 2022
Kvngfrosh:
Recommend a Linux distro….I’ve used Ubuntu 20.04 or so and I didn’t like it…
Try Elementary Os or manjaro or if you wanna go light , Linux mint
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by CyberHustle: 8:39am On Nov 08, 2022
namikaze:

2. Time and space are measured differently, there is no "time or space", there's only "time and space"
I am still waiting for the three parts you talked about. The is a useless question if sorting will automatically break down a list into three parts.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 9:37am On Nov 08, 2022
CyberHustle:

I am still waiting for the three parts you talked about. The is a useless question if sorting will automatically break down a list into three parts.
sigh just forget it.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by Najdorf: 11:29am On Nov 08, 2022
namikaze:

sigh just forget it.
Abeg no bring this kind question again tongue

Let us just stick to the WordPress wey everyone go sabi
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by namikaze: 8:10am On Nov 11, 2022
Najdorf:
Abeg no bring this kind question again tongue
Let us just stick to the WordPress wey everyone go sabi
lol, I hear you.
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by Kvngfrosh(m): 10:03pm On Nov 11, 2022
Deicide:
Try Elementary Os or manjaro or if you wanna go light , Linux mint
Nahhh I don’t think I want elementary os, it looks like Mac OS. Maybe I’ll try Manjaro… thanks
Re: Solve This Amazon Interview Question by CodingSoft: 1:28am On Nov 13, 2022
namikaze:

Found out more about O(1) space complexity
What is O(1) space complexity?
"To answer your question, if you have a traversal algorithm for traversing the list which allocate a single pointer to do so, the traversal algorithms is considered to be of O(1) space complexity. Additionally, let's say that traversal algorithm needs not 1 but 1000 pointers, the space complexity is still considered to be O(1).

However, if let's say for some reason the algorithm needs to allocate 'N' pointers when traversing a list of size N, i.e., it needs to allocate 3 pointers for traversing a list of 3 elements, 10 pointers for a list of 10 elements, 1000 pointers for a list of 1000 elements and so on, then the algorithm is considered to have a space complexity of O(N). This is true even when 'N' is very small, eg., N=1.

To summarise the two examples above, O(1) denotes constant space use: the algorithm allocates the same number of pointers irrespective to the list size. In contrast, O(N) denotes linear space use: the algorithm space use grows together with respect to the input size."

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43260889/what-is-o1-space-complexity#:~:text=To%20summarise%20the%20two%20examples,respect%20to%20the%20input%20size.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where To Learn Practical Coding Skills In Lagos / Does He Need Programming In Elect/elect.. / Can Vb 6.0,visual Studio 2008 And Visual Studio 2010 Run On Windows 7 Os.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.