Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,581 members, 7,816,429 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? (19668 Views)

Reasons Behind The Recent Tech Layoffs And How It's Affecting Majority Of People / What Have You Learned From The Recent Layoffs? / With The Recent Layoffs In Tech Worldwide, As A Beginner I'm Currently Depressed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by angelfallz(m): 1:13pm On Nov 05, 2022
You can also add value to the company by bringing in ideas that can make the company more money. No one is going to sack an employee that brings in the bacon.
tensazangetsu20:
I actually wanted to make a thread on this today and advice newbies finding it hard to get jobs to not give up.

We are an agency and not a product based company so I can't really say how this will affect us yet. As for work I work more hours and work weekends to make myself more valuable to the company i work for. I have been doing this for the past three months now and got a raise. Monday through to Sunday at least 10 hours daily.

I would say if you have a job put in extra hours. Justify your position and your pay. For those looking, don't be discouraged. Booms and bust are part of life. It's why you need to build reserve and avoid lifestyle inflation when the money hits.

It's not easy and it's not even December yet.

My only problem with this layoffs and hiring freezes is that they will make remote roles very difficult for Africans to get. There's very few remote roles available now compared to when I started in 2020.
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by hayoholla(m): 1:14pm On Nov 05, 2022
The postive tradeoff for this is that, remote work especially in IT will do our economy pretty good. That's for developing countries like Nigeria and others, the caveat here, is if we have large mass of youth who are tech loving. Imagine working from home and being paid in dollars. It will in turn strengthen the local currency in some way. You might think its absurd, but that's runoff effect it will have on our currency.

4 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:25pm On Nov 05, 2022
angelfallz:
You can also add value to the company by bringing in ideas that can make the company more money. No one is going to sack an employee that brings in the bacon.

Yeah this too. For developers in agencies, a way you can do this is by suggesting workflows that reduce development time which can save the company money.

2 Likes

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by ebuclassic18(m): 1:39pm On Nov 05, 2022
airsaylongcome:
Many folks that beef on Nigerian "tech bros" as being proud cos they earn in dollars are actually happy to see the layoffs. I would say future proof yourself. Learn a combination of niche skills (not necessarily in programming) so you can easily switch and adapt if the need arises
How and where can I learn this programming of a thing
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by citizen202(m): 2:04pm On Nov 05, 2022
ebuclassic18:

How and where can I learn this programming of a thing
try w3school it's free
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Lawalemi(m): 2:05pm On Nov 05, 2022
My company organised annual long service award, no awardee for 10 years and below.
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Ebubu: 2:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
qtguru:

Yes , but some freelance do pay well, 3000$ usd is not bad mo they for a Nigerian.
yeah but just have a side business in case when gigs scarce
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by qtguru(m): 2:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
Ebubu:
yeah but just have a side business in case when gigs scarce

Sorry wrong choice of word, Side business actually pays better. I just said side gigs as the low hanging fruit.
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by LienwaltAbel(m): 2:46pm On Nov 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
I actually wanted to make a thread on this today and advice newbies finding it hard to get jobs to not give up.

We are an agency and not a product based company so I can't really say how this will affect us yet. As for work I work more hours and work weekends to make myself more valuable to the company i work for. I have been doing this for the past three months now and got a raise. Monday through to Sunday at least 10 hours daily.

I would say if you have a job put in extra hours. Justify your position and your pay. For those looking, don't be discouraged. Booms and bust are part of life. It's why you need to build reserve and avoid lifestyle inflation when the money hits.

It's not easy and it's not even December yet.

My only problem with this layoffs and hiring freezes is that they will make remote roles very difficult for Africans to get. There's very few remote roles available now compared to when I started in 2020.
Calm down oh. No go kill yourself on top work.

However, few remote roles? Honestly, with the way things are going out of hand I hope.... Nevermind
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by ebuclassic18(m): 3:09pm On Nov 05, 2022
citizen202:
try w3school it's free
Online?
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by meobizy(f): 3:11pm On Nov 05, 2022
E no affect me because I no dey the industry.

Ours occurred two years ago. Now employers are secretly calling back staff with the promise of larger paydays.
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Xsw1: 4:02pm On Nov 05, 2022
Hmmmm
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by emmaodet: 4:34pm On Nov 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yes o not just a plastic chair. I live in a very shit ghetto in a downtrodden part of town. Lifestyle inflation is the greatest enemy of a hustling man

What is lifestyle inflation?
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by GeneralShepherd(m): 4:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
Hannania:
I appreciate your critic, but your points would have been better off with out the first two lines..

I didn't mean to sound condescending. I am sorry if it came out that way
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:44pm On Nov 05, 2022
emmaodet:

Increasing your lifestyle when you get more money. Like you just got a job of let's say 2 million the next thing you do is run to rent a house in lekki, get a house girl, stop cooking food and eating out and stuff like that. It's better to live as you used to and save the rest of what you make so you can invest it in yourself or in stocks or bonds or a new business or for the rainy day.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by emmaodet: 4:47pm On Nov 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Increasing your lifestyle when you get more money. Like you just got a job of let's say 2 million the next thing you do is run to rent a house in lekki, get a house girl, stop cooking food and eating out and stuff like that. It's better to live as you used to and save the rest of what you make so you can invest it in yourself or in stocks or bonds or a new business or for the rainy day.

That is true but it is very hard to resist the urge to live a better life

1 Like

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:05pm On Nov 05, 2022
emmaodet:

Definitely cheesy cheesy cheesy. It's not easy at all.
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Hannania(m): 5:21pm On Nov 05, 2022
GeneralShepherd:

I didn't mean to sound condescending. I am sorry if it came out that way
Apologies accepted. Thanks for the valid points earlier.
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 05, 2022
emmaodet:

There is no pressure for software engineers to show off nor to live a better life, so most don't even do that. Most of my seniors in the industry never bought a car until they got a wife & they were on high paying jobs. You will see a guy working at Microsoft but jumping yellow bus in Lagos conveniently. Girls in Tech do enjoy their life though, but guys in Tech live a very low-level life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by TastyFriedPussy: 6:27pm On Nov 05, 2022
truthsayer009:

There is no pressure for software engineers to show off nor to live a better life, so most don't even do that. Most of my seniors in the industry never bought a car until they got a wife & they were on high paying jobs. You will see a guy working at Microsoft but jumping yellow bus in Lagos conveniently. Girls in Tech do enjoy their life though, but guys in Tech live a very low-level life.
omo, that can never be me ohhh grin the moment I land a job of sey 2 million a month, God come help me, e come be my first job, Omo grin Street go hear word, amaka and chinenye toto go hearam grin .....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by obamartins(m): 8:21pm On Nov 05, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
omo, that can never be me ohhh grin the moment I land a job of sey 2 million a month, God come help me, e come be my first job, Omo grin Street go hear word, amaka and chinenye toto go hearam grin .....

Twisted mind. This is the more reason God won't give you such job.
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Esiman(m): 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2022
Eweeeeh grin
obamartins:

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Unlimited2022: 5:28am On Nov 06, 2022
meobizy:
E no affect me because I no dey the industry.

Ours occurred two years ago. Now employers are secretly calling back staff with the promise of larger paydays.
What industry? If you don't mind me asking.
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by engrrichie92(m): 7:31am On Nov 06, 2022
Hannania:
This is profound. May I suggest you give suggestions on those "Future proof" niches from your experience? That will help anyone who comes across the thread.

Thanks.
DevOps
Application Security
Cloud Architecture/Security

There are others but developers should find it a bit easy to transition to these three
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by engrrichie92(m): 7:35am On Nov 06, 2022
Tobedated:

I do plan to keep learning.

As you said it's luck and at the same time one needs the skills for there to be luck in first place.

Though it keeps getting harder to learn each day
my laptop is starting to show it's age and the battery is completely run down

What have you done so far?

Let me see your short, mid-term and long term goals

Show me evidence of your learnings and goals and I might just plan to get you a Laptop
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by engrrichie92(m): 7:42am On Nov 06, 2022
emmaodet:

In street terms, make you start dey do pass yourself onto say money don come without planning for the future
Steady YOLO life

Although there is a thin line between finance management and suffering one self
Like the dude wey dey earn in USD, wey still dey use plastic chair

You can still enjoy your money without being lavish
Why I kan dey work if I cant enjoy my money
Be prudent yes, but also be present

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by brandmix: 8:56am On Nov 06, 2022
Hiring every gadam week cheesy
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by FunnyDude(m): 10:41am On Nov 06, 2022
obamartins:

Are you the God? Who Jah has bless, let no man curse. Wizkid davido tuface do pass
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by obamartins(m): 10:52am On Nov 06, 2022
FunnyDude:

Are you the God? Who Jah has bless, let no man curse. Wizkid davido tuface do pass

Shift abeg.
Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by Tobedated(m): 11:43am On Nov 06, 2022
engrrichie92:

What have you done so far?

Let me see your short, mid-term and long term goals

Show me evidence of your learnings and goals and I might just plan to get you a Laptop

ok so far I've learned html css and JavaScript

currently following bob ziroll's react course for beginners and I'm 8 hours deep in a 12 hours course

learned
- jsx,
- conditional rendering,
- state and props,
- custom components,
- forms...

short term goal - finishing bob ziroll's react course

mid term goal - completing fullstackopen a free course by university of helsinki in Finland.
where I can learn React, Redux, Node.js, MongoDB, GraphQL and TypeScript in one go!

long term goal - getting a job, helping others on their coding journey and most importantly traveling the world.

projects:

difficulty level AI (logic) - difficulty levels for my tic-tac-toe project. It has two levels

easy - AI plays at random
medium - AI tries it's best to stop the user for winning but can still be beaten

I'm proud of this because it's not a code snippet I can just copy from somewhere but a logic I had to come up with myself and it took a while to get right.

live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/tic-tac-toe

Library project (JavaScript) -
takes parameters from an input and adds the book to the library where it can be updated, deleted and change it's read status. basically a simple CRUD app.

live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/library-project

Etch-a-sketch (DOM manipulation) - Desktop only since mobile doesn't have a hover state. The user can draw different stuff by painting over multiple square boxes
the color of the pen can be changed as well as the size of the boxes. it also has multiple modes.

live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/Etch-a-Sketch/

Dog website (API) - desktop only used it to practice fetching from an API and intersection observer API
- has slide in effect when the contents comes into view and each images is fetched from an API.

Live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/dog-website/

a crypto landing page (html, css and animations) - mobile responsive made use of flexbox, absolute position and animations.

live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/project-crypto

other notable projects: (calculator, rock paper scissors, sign-in form, admin Dashboard, analog clock project)

so what do you think of my 4 months progress?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by noCAP(m): 6:49pm On Nov 06, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yes o not just a plastic chair. I live in a very shit ghetto in a downtrodden part of town. Lifestyle inflation is the greatest enemy of a hustling man
boss, dey try spend o. Life na 1. I currently spend 20 percent of my salary and save the rest

1 Like

Re: With The Recent Lay-off And Hiring Freeze, How's It At Your Workplace? by engrrichie92(m): 4:19am On Nov 07, 2022
Tobedated:

ok so far I've learned html css and JavaScript

currently following bob ziroll's react course for beginners and I'm 8 hours deep in a 12 hours course

learned
- jsx,
- conditional rendering,
- state and props,
- custom components,
- forms...

short term goal - finishing bob ziroll's react course

mid term goal - completing fullstackopen a free course by university of helsinki in Finland.
where I can learn React, Redux, Node.js, MongoDB, GraphQL and TypeScript in one go!

long term goal - getting a job, helping others on their coding journey and most importantly traveling the world.

projects:

difficulty level AI (logic) - difficulty levels for my tic-tac-toe project. It has two levels

easy - AI plays at random
medium - AI tries it's best to stop the user for winning but can still be beaten

I'm proud of this because it's not a code snippet I can just copy from somewhere but a logic I had to come up with myself and it took a while to get right.

live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/tic-tac-toe

Library project (JavaScript) -
takes parameters from an input and adds the book to the library where it can be updated, deleted and change it's read status. basically a simple CRUD app.

live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/library-project

Etch-a-sketch (DOM manipulation) - Desktop only since mobile doesn't have a hover state. The user can draw different stuff by painting over multiple square boxes
the color of the pen can be changed as well as the size of the boxes. it also has multiple modes.

live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/Etch-a-Sketch/

Dog website (API) - desktop only used it to practice fetching from an API and intersection observer API
- has slide in effect when the contents comes into view and each images is fetched from an API.

Live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/dog-website/

a crypto landing page (html, css and animations) - mobile responsive made use of flexbox, absolute position and animations.

live link: https://adebisi1234.github.io/project-crypto

other notable projects: (calculator, rock paper scissors, sign-in form, admin Dashboard, analog clock project)

so what do you think of my 4 months progress?
Impressive actually
Got a lot of ongoing projects at the moment

If you still have not resolved the Laptop issue by feb nextyear

Please mention me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can You Please Recommend A Digital Skill For Me? / Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming / Few Questions About Aptech Computer Institute???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.