Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally (14981 Views)

Half-Salary: ASUU Ends NEC Meeting, Keeps Mum On Outcome / October Half Salary: ASUU To Summon NEC Meeting / IPPIS: Some VCs Collected N58,000 As February Salary – ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by princepee: 11:38am On Nov 14, 2022
a which one bi one day strick?
Because of election government conjure una to resume.
Anything una see make una take
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by zedegit: 11:38am On Nov 14, 2022
adenigga:
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has announced that it will embark on a one-day nationwide protest rally over the implementation by the Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government of a “no-work, no-pay” policy for lecturers in the country.
Naija News gathered that the nationwide protest rally would hold at the branch level of the union across public university campuses nationwide, with lectures suspended for the one-day protest.

ASUU members across universities are expected to choose a day within the week to hold a special congress and also go on protest rallies within their campuses.

Recalls that the Buhari-led Government had paid only half salary for the month of October to the public university lecturers, who had been on industrial action for eight months and returned to work on October 14.

Confirming the new directive to Nigerian Tribune on Sunday, the chairman of ASUU, University of Lagos (UNILAG) branch, Dr. Dele Ashiru, said UNILAG-ASUU had fixed Tuesday, November 15, for its own rally.

According to him, the protest rally is to draw the attention of Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora to ASUU’s strong dissatisfaction with the Buhari Government’s attempt at casualization of the academics in the country by using ‘no-work, no-pay policy’ to remunerate them.

While insisting that university lecturers are intellectuals and professionals, Ashiru noted that just as other lecturers in other branches of ASUU would do, all members of ASUU, UNILAG branch, are also expected to attend the congress and participate fully in the protest rally.

He said casualization of academics is totally alien to the academic system globally, adding that the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, wants to prove that he knows more than every other person in the world.

He stated that the Union would show Ngige that his attempt to cage the lecturers, particularly from engaging in unionism, would never come to pass as far as Nigeria is concerned.

Source: https:///ASUU-Declares-One-day-Nationwide-Protest-Rally

Make it 1 year.
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by FreebiesGRAM: 11:38am On Nov 14, 2022
shocked shocked shocked

This people never rest ?
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by yinkeys(m): 11:38am On Nov 14, 2022
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Yankee101: 11:39am On Nov 14, 2022
Lol
Student protest for sitting at home for nearly one year?
Abeg return to work or resign

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by zedegit: 11:39am On Nov 14, 2022
yinkeys:
Slave labour
Sad

Which slave labour?

They want to go onn strike and be rewarded for it.

Does it make sense?

1 Like

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Doyou2019: 11:42am On Nov 14, 2022
muykem:
I think that after this face off, ASUU will learn a great lesson. You can not be forcing your employer to always do bid through strike.

Hear this Mumu. Thousands in the Spanish capital are protesting the shortage of health workers in Madrid and this one thinks it's an aberration to demand better University experience for both students and lecturers in our ivory towers?

Urchinry na curse I swear.

1 Like

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by OgbeniOja1: 11:43am On Nov 14, 2022
You see, you didn't suggest other ways.
Zonefree:
Till tomorrow, I still don't know or understand why Nigerians are taking side with ASUU.

ASUU as a union is not considering the students.

The President
The Minister of Education
The Minister of Labour

All their children are not schooling in Nigeria. They're not affected in any way, if you like strike in the next 30 years, e no concern them.

Most of the ASUU members, their children are schooling in private universities.

The lecturers will shut the school against innocent average Nigerians for 8 months and still be feeling entitled, yet average Nigerians are still supporting them undecided

ASUU don dey go strike for ages with no result, and they're still striking. Are there no other better ways to express their grievances? It's only a fool that will be doing same thing over and over again and be expecting different result.
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Ireportlive: 11:43am On Nov 14, 2022
As they can't strike they can protest
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by 9jatriot(m): 11:43am On Nov 14, 2022
I do hope FG does not buckle to ASUU blackmail. I will never forget to remind people.

What many people do not realize is that ASUU actually started their strike in 2020, then the government warn them of the no work no pay rule. FG had already began to implement the no work no pay rule, then COVID struck, and there was lock down, and FG had to pay all its staff (civil servants) their salary even though they could not go to work during that period.

So, during the COVID/strike, all ASUU members had to do was wait till the end of the month, go the bank on a day they were working (many of them were working half day), collect their salary and then wait for the next month. Free money.

Finally, COVID reduced and life was gradually returning to normal, then ASUU begin to release lyrics that they were planning to continue their 2020 strike. So, February, 2022 they began their strike again. They notified the government that they were downing tools and that the strike was total (meaning, no research, no marking of script, no lecturing, no attendance). Once again, they were reminded that labor laws transfers payment of salaries during such strikes from the employers to the union. That meant that since members have been paying dues to ASUU, now was the time for ASUU to replicate and start paying their members while negotiations went on. ASUU went on with that understanding but believed as they usually do that they will have their way.

To cut all the long story short, ASUU refused to pay her members during the strike and as such many lecturers have been left completely broke, whereas ASUU leaders are the only ones who get paid by the union.
What many people do not know is that, when ASUU say they are holding congresses to discuss whether or not to go on strike, it is only a handful of members who make that decision and not the generality of members.

Finally, ASUU called off their strike sometime in October of 2022, so FG has now resumed payment of their salary from the day they started work. So, forget that story that ASUU was paid half salary, instead government only resumed paying them as soon as they started working again. The implication of this if it is applied to the letter is that ASUU which has been collecting dues from her members, now owes them a salary of 8 and a half months.

The benefit of this arrangement are as follows:
1. Parent/students, FG and ASUU, everybody now loses. In the previous arrangement where they get paid for going on strike. Parent/students lose in terms of time, house rent, some even lose their sponsors. FG loses in terms of public opinion and goodwill as well as pay for no work done whereas ASUU was the only one that does not lose since they collect money for no work. Now, all parties lose.
2. If ASUU had succeeded with this strike, just know that there would have been more strikes loading, but right now many unions are very cautious
3. FG will now be obligated to try and be in the good books of the masses and will try to invest more in education but it won't be because of blackmail. Investment in education will now be more wholistic and cater also for primary and secondary, rather than ASUU wanting to corner everything all the time.

Hopefully, all parties would have learned their lessons

6 Likes

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by iwaeda: 11:44am On Nov 14, 2022
adenigga:
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has announced that it will embark on a one-day nationwide protest rally over the implementation by the Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government of a “no-work, no-pay” policy for lecturers in the country.
Naija News gathered that the nationwide protest rally would hold at the branch level of the union across public university campuses nationwide, with lectures suspended for the one-day protest.

ASUU members across universities are expected to choose a day within the week to hold a special congress and also go on protest rallies within their campuses.

Recalls that the Buhari-led Government had paid only half salary for the month of October to the public university lecturers, who had been on industrial action for eight months and returned to work on October 14.

Confirming the new directive to Nigerian Tribune on Sunday, the chairman of ASUU, University of Lagos (UNILAG) branch, Dr. Dele Ashiru, said UNILAG-ASUU had fixed Tuesday, November 15, for its own rally.

According to him, the protest rally is to draw the attention of Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora to ASUU’s strong dissatisfaction with the Buhari Government’s attempt at casualization of the academics in the country by using ‘no-work, no-pay policy’ to remunerate them.

While insisting that university lecturers are intellectuals and professionals, Ashiru noted that just as other lecturers in other branches of ASUU would do, all members of ASUU, UNILAG branch, are also expected to attend the congress and participate fully in the protest rally.

He said casualization of academics is totally alien to the academic system globally, adding that the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, wants to prove that he knows more than every other person in the world.

He stated that the Union would show Ngige that his attempt to cage the lecturers, particularly from engaging in unionism, would never come to pass as far as Nigeria is concerned.

Source: https:///ASUU-Declares-One-day-Nationwide-Protest-Rally

They don't know they are dealing with liars feared even by the devil, called APC. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Terry44: 11:44am On Nov 14, 2022
FG was even too generous to have paid half salary. ASUU is only concerned about their own interest and not that of the students they've been claiming to be interested in.

Why embark an on a strike that long without getting any result If not for the government action and whatnot I'm sure the strike would've still lingered

2 Likes

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Onucs(m): 11:45am On Nov 14, 2022
muykem:
I think that after this face off, ASUU will learn a great lesson. You can not be forcing your employer to always do bid through strike.

Their own don too much

2 Likes

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by baralatie(m): 11:45am On Nov 14, 2022
From rally then comes the warning strike and then strike
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Angelfrost(m): 11:47am On Nov 14, 2022
Buhari clearly doesn't want his party to win 2023 elections!

It's so obvious! grin
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by adeprof18(m): 11:49am On Nov 14, 2022
Many people don't realize ASUU pray and look forward to long strike to write papers for journal etc they see it as a paid holiday to carry out their personal research and publish papers that will help in their promotion.

I once heard lecturers during my undergraduate days saying they need another strike to achieve a personal set goal.

In summary, they go on this strike for their personal gain and not for the love of the students

2 Likes

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by harmony75: 11:51am On Nov 14, 2022
Mtcheeeew useless and selfish body!

1 Like

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Lifestone(m): 11:51am On Nov 14, 2022
Juniorpope123:
We need Peter Obi to rescue our education.
Hit like if you are with me
He does not have such track record

2 Likes

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Temi2468: 11:54am On Nov 14, 2022
ALTERNATEID:
This stubborn approach is not the way to go. They should eat the humble pie and beg the president. Write a public letter of appeal detailing the sufferings of ASUU members and their families and promise to be of good behavior going forward. The president is a very compassionate person, he will reconsider the policy on humanitarian ground.

O ma ṣe ooo.
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by kingyakos: 11:54am On Nov 14, 2022
muykem:

But the employer can bridge agreement right?....

Nothing our ears won't hear from APC and tinubu supporters that's raising generation of illiterate.
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Desusi: 11:59am On Nov 14, 2022
This problem no dey finished.?? Why is federal government always buoyant where he supposed to be stingy and stingy where he supposed to be buoyant? In a civilised world, teachers are Kings and Queen. In Germany, where l live for years,bundles republic would never tamper with lecturers salary. Why are we still refers to as a forgotten world. Its becos of all these things. I tired ooo.Biko!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Echoban: 12:04pm On Nov 14, 2022
Lanretoye:
Students should understand that FG is jot ready to solve problems,they just want to cut corners and create more for the next government...the fact remains that is things as are not sorted out once and all,the affected students' children will still come and face the same problem.meanwhile their own children are not part of the rot.

Do u know what it means to sort it out once and for all?? Nigeria bis Financially not ready for that yet except they overhaul and restructure the whole ministries , pruning every sector , infact restructuring the whole country. No b now now something. It LL take another govt to do that by putting this action in his budget and plans..

Not only Ministry of education has problem, even health esp, Works, finance, all has problem. Na patch patch we just dey do since 1990.
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by agentakorone: 12:09pm On Nov 14, 2022
Sick n tired of hearing about ASUU and the Federal, can't wait for next year election.

Please I need help, I have been selling sport kits for 3yrs now, though haven't own a shop yet, but sell from home. Most times I go to sport centres to market my kits, I visit Gyms and Football grounds. I don't want to do this anymore; people keep owing me money and it's frustrating calling them on phone, sometimes i get insult from them. I'm trying to raise money to have my own store, I don't mind starting little but the challenges I'm having is paying for a store. Please I will really appreciate if anyone can help, I just need a store to sell my football boots and kits.

WhatsApp: 08138344654
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by yinkeys(m): 12:17pm On Nov 14, 2022
Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by GeneralBuhari: 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2022
Hahaha

ASUU calling for protests??

That one mean say their brain don finally reset na.

If na before, na straight to strike one time!

But the no work; no pay policy has cut them to size.

Foolish people.
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Harrynight(m): 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2022
shocked

So after the one day protest they will accept the half salary in good faith or what ?
Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Menclothing: 12:25pm On Nov 14, 2022
No work no pay i support it

You fine not to work for 9 month and collect salary since 1999
ASUU have strike for 5 years in 20yrs

Are they d only union

I appreciate the no work no pay

2 Likes

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by Coldie(m): 12:28pm On Nov 14, 2022
I support the no work no pay policy 100%.
Imagine seating at home for 9months going about your other businesses and at the end u receive salary for doing nothings

2 Likes

Re: Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally by chris51(f): 12:33pm On Nov 14, 2022
I'm in support of 'no work no pay'.
If the government succeeds in implementing it, I bet you it will be the end of senseless ASUU strikes.

If they are paid, it's like saving for them. They will launch assorted cars while their students suffer.

It's not fair. Let lecturers face the wrath of their actions.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Niger Delta University Students Protest Hike In Fees, Lock Up School Gate (Pics) / Oyo State Stops Payment Of WAEC Fees / Meet Tobiloba.Cowbell Mathematician Of The Year 2014/2015 From Hallmark Sec Sch.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.