Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,284 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. (31032 Views)

Dr Akorede Kamil Teaches Coding On The Streets Of Ilorin / Coding On My Android Phone � Don't Give Ur Lack Of A PC As An Excuse / What No One Tells You About Coding In Python: Eye-opening! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Moh247: 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2022
Elemosho478:

Most Nigerian companies don't want to pay Nigerian programmers what they deserve, they just want a slave. The best way to work as a programmer in Nigeria is as a freelancer or work remotely for foreign companies online.

That's true, but payment platforms for freelance sites is another headache and selling funds

But people are finding a way around it

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2022
Moh247:
Fast money isn't in programming or tech, Nigeria loves quick money

Truth is bitter, but it must be told

Yahoo is very very hard, time consuming and involves ritual yet most Nigerians prefer that to tech jobs

A good C++ developer would train constantly for over a year before you can get a tech job

Freelance sites are not even helping Nigeria as once you tell them you are Nigerian they label you a scammer or price you low

I once approached a school with a software proposal and the price offer was just ridiculous

Whogohost in Lagos was recruiting Web Developers and I was there.. only to get the offer letter with salary less than 50k and crazy work hours.. how will anyone survive on such

You and the op are naive

The best yahoo yahoo guys in the world are programmers.

so who do you think created all the hacking tools around
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by headboyprince(m): 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2022
efficiencie:

You are wrong. I am currently participating in the Applied Data Science Lab conducted by World Quant University and Nigerians make up the highest proportion of participants in that programme. This is a fact. Nigerians are extreme people. Whatever they do, good or bad, they take it to the extremes. From corruption to coding, Nigerians are at the forefront. From ritual killing to bagging 5.0 CGPA Nigerians nor dey carry last. Perhaps the Nigerians you have spent most of your time knowing are ritualists and yahoo folks. Perhaps you want to step out of your circle.

please let me laugh small grin who gave you the idea that nigeria is at the forefront in programming or in corruption cheesy...

Thank Goodness you said nigeria doesn't carry last, cheesy imagine a kid in school happy about not carrying last.

it means that child is not far away from the last. grin that talk about Nigerians going to the extreme in everything is bullshit. nigerians that are usually very complacent. Please say another bullshit to my ears. grin

Nigeria isn't even top 20 in the world for programmers..so tell me how they take coding to the extreme?? what am i saying, top 50 and you wont find Nigeria. lo
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Desusi: 2:23pm On Dec 16, 2022
Cowbell521:
You are very stupid. Just argue without insulting him. Answer his question
This is one painful thing on this platform.Instead of someone correcting you in the spirit of love, the next is to curse your papa or mama,or call you bastard or mother fucker.Haba! It means, most people on this platform are bloody illiterates or uncivilized.

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by ThatsONYI: 2:23pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:
You hardly see Nigerians teaching coding or talking about programming related stuff on on social media, especially on Youtube. This is because this is actually a legit way to be a successful person and it involves a lot of hard work, determination and consistence.

Nigerians only like to propagate get rich schemes and fraudulent stuff like plagiarizing books to post on Amazon or some rubbish Ponzi scheme. The common thread that links all these is that they don't involve much work and all you have to do is just do the little, then sit and wait for money to start pouring into your account. I admit there are a tiny minority of people who make money from these, but it's usually for a short period of time until it crashes or they get banned from Amazon, or get arrested, but the majority of people don't get shit, rather they jump from one get rich scheme to the other until they realize they've wasted their time.

Programming will never be saturated with competent programmers especially in this country because majority of people don't have the discipline and delligence to actually become competent programmers.

For the past month I've not been on social media. I deleted my Twitter, Facebook Tiktok, Instagram and vowed to never check status on WhatsApp because that's a very huge distraction. I only use Nairaland and Reddit, particularly for programming related information. I deleted every movie from my laptop and haven't watched TV for weeks.

How many people can do this? How many people can sit at a desk staring at a computer screen for 12+ hours everyday?

Nigerians are very lazy and are addicted to quick gratification and this works in the favor of programmers who are serious, because it reduces the competitiveness of the job market.

shocked

You hit me hard, not because I can't "sit at a desk staring at a computer screen" for hours but because it requires a laptop, data etc which means money.

A lotta us been tryna save up, but what you pointed out, is facts tho.
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Moh247: 2:24pm On Dec 16, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

You and the op are naive

The best yahoo yahoo guys in the world are programmers.

so who do you think created all the hacking tools around

Oga tools for hacking and spamming full dark web you may not even know anything about programming if you have a good hacker to work with

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by benqo01(m): 2:24pm On Dec 16, 2022
OP UR WRITE UP WAS COOL,BUT PLEASE STOP THE GENERALIZATION, NIGERIANS ARE NOT LAZY PEOPLE.

REMEMBER PEOPLE STILL MAKE LEGITIMATE MONEY ONLINE BE IT ON YOUTUBE AND OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA SPACES.

IF THE COUNTRY WAS TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE, TECHNOLOGY DRIVEN,I BELIEVE THAT WILL GO A LONG WAY TO HELP LOT OF NIGERIANS OUT THERE.
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by boom99(m): 2:25pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:
You hardly see Nigerians teaching coding or talking about programming related stuff on on social media, especially on Youtube. This is because this is actually a legit way to be a successful person and it involves a lot of hard work, determination and consistence.

Nigerians only like to propagate get rich schemes and fraudulent stuff like plagiarizing books to post on Amazon or some rubbish Ponzi scheme. The common thread that links all these is that they don't involve much work and all you have to do is just do the little, then sit and wait for money to start pouring into your account. I admit there are a tiny minority of people who make money from these, but it's usually for a short period of time until it crashes or they get banned from Amazon, or get arrested, but the majority of people don't get shit, rather they jump from one get rich scheme to the other until they realize they've wasted their time.

Programming will never be saturated with competent programmers especially in this country because majority of people don't have the discipline and delligence to actually become competent programmers.

For the past month I've not been on social media. I deleted my Twitter, Facebook Tiktok, Instagram and vowed to never check status on WhatsApp because that's a very huge distraction. I only use Nairaland and Reddit, particularly for programming related information. I deleted every movie from my laptop and haven't watched TV for weeks.

How many people can do this? How many people can sit at a desk staring at a computer screen for 12+ hours everyday?

Nigerians are very lazy and are addicted to quick gratification and this works in the favor of programmers who are serious, because it reduces the competitiveness of the job market.
Sitting for 12hours? You no get work?Hana Mana!

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Elemosho478: 2:25pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

It seems comprehension is your problem. Maybe that's why you've been coding since 1994 and yet still struggle to get a freelance job.

Calm down girl
Programming isn't as easy as you think.

Deleting your social media app is a mistake because there are also several groups on Facebook for programmers and you will get a lot of helpful tips from them.

You started learning recently but you are already acting like you know it all, I like your passion though because coding require passion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by nograv: 2:26pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

You are talking through your backside, Nigerian developers are there. Come to London or Silicon Valley, we are earning good money. All you probably know is Yaba. Dont assume, because you dont know many developers, that they aren't there. Mumu angry

3 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Cowbell521: 2:27pm On Dec 16, 2022
Studymore123:

Sir, I believe you are a well respected member of the community and also a professional. You should better understand social media issues (cyberbullying, trolls, etc) and how to deal with such. I don't expect you to go to such lows in your use of words. When your feet slips you can always recover your balance but when your tongues slips you can never recover your words. I may be wrong but I believe you don't do such physically.
You would have sounded a little sensible if you had condemned the uncouth girl. He called him thirsty first. Mr VG worshipper

2 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 16, 2022
Moh247:

Oga tools for hacking and spamming full dark web you may not even know anything about programming if you have a good hacker to work with

The question is who created those hacking tools?

Who are the people hacking bank networks and transferring money out various accounts?

Who are the people hacking crypto firms and stealing tokens worth millions of dollars?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Elemosho478: 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2022
Moh247:

That's true, but payment platforms for freelance sites is another headache and selling funds

But people are finding a way around it

Well I'm still learning

But several jobs I saw online with low payment break my heart, there are also some with decent payment though
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by VahlarMorghulis: 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

I'd like to know the tech field you're in and what you've accomplished so far with your I deleted everything, went to the north pole to focus on programming.

I believe you are looking for attention, and you know nothing about Nigerians in tech.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by headboyprince(m): 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2022
benqo01:
OP UR WRITE UP WAS COOL,BUT PLEASE STOP THE GENERALIZATION, NIGERIANS ARE NOT LAZY PEOPLE.

REMEMBER PEOPLE STILL MAKE LEGITIMATE MONEY ONLINE BE IT ON YOUTUBE AND OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA SPACES.

IF THE COUNTRY WAS TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE, TECHNOLOGY DRIVEN,I BELIEVE THAT WILL GO A LONG WAY TO HELP LOT OF NIGERIANS OUT THERE.

Nigerians are not lazy people but very complacent and unserious people. Just hire a nigeria to do a soft work for you, be it writing, or coding, or marketing, and you'll understand what im saying grin
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by balarabe01(m): 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2022
This is a very good thread, im glad it was started by a female, much respect. Youll make a foresighted partner.
The upcoming generations in Africa must be educated in this field for africa to match it peers globally in the future. Keep it up.
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Lannister360: 2:30pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

I actually don't want more people to be like me. It makes the market less competitive. The lazier people are, the better for me.
What are you even saying? You think you're the only one who is discipline enough to learn programming? Nigerians are not lazy people,
Things are difficult for a lot of people and most people do not have 12H to spend looking at the laptop learning to code.

People need to make money in other to feed and pay for rent, not everyone is living with their parents and have the time to stare at a screen for 12H.

There is also the problem of electricity and money to buy laptop. For others, while trying to learn how to code, they keep working about money and where their next meal will come from. How do you expect them to focus and be able to learn properly?

Stop comparing Nigerians with people in Canada and US who have the basic things in life, most Nigerians do not.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by AutoshalomUSA: 2:35pm On Dec 16, 2022
You are very right my dear . I’ve gone through many Nigerian social media influencers and gurus . They are either for hookups , celebrity gossip, music, blockchain, crypto, or fintech .

Nothing really substantial to learn from these opportunists.
I’ve thought about starting a channel to only talk about about legitimate business and career options for those willing to work and and observe small patience.

Devdev, Stay the course . Very soon Our programmers will start focusing on meaningful projects and more people would be interested in tech for good not for scam .

Thanks
Devdevdev:

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Newman20(m): 2:38pm On Dec 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Thirsty guys like me? Are you well or is attempting to get into coding making you loose your mind? Have I come to private chat you that I want to fuçk you? See this silly dumbfuçk. Thirsty guys like me? What silly body are you even prostituting that will make me want to thirst for you? See ehn, mind your words or get hit by a truck.

What else would I suggest you do? Shut up and learn to code. Stop running your mouth off when you are still a rookie.

I wish I could like this a million times.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Ezebinaugwu(m): 2:38pm On Dec 16, 2022
I will love to see my children start learning coding at the age of 4, I believe before they are 15 they will master it
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by headboyprince(m): 2:38pm On Dec 16, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

The question is who created those hacking tools?

Who are the people hacking bank networks and transferring money out various accounts?

Who are the people hacking crypto firms and stealing tokens worth millions of dollars?

and how many yahoo boys in nigeria can hack bank or crypto firms how many of them can create hacking tools if you're talking about scammers in russia, or china ill understand but for nigerian yahoo boys, never.. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by omoluabiguy: 2:41pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

Some of us do it,
Check me out and subscribe to my channel
Check me out https://youtube.com/c/theseniordev
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Mrquote: 2:43pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

I stay in Nigeria and I push out video content of my work always

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1e71PBh5IN-7ob1zVfjTEg
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Mrquote: 2:44pm On Dec 16, 2022
headboyprince:

and how many yahoo boys in nigeria can hack bank or crypto firms how many of them can create hacking tools if you're talking about scammers in russia, or china ill understand but for nigerian yahoo boys, never.. grin

Yahoo is not about hacking pls. Majorly impersonation and relationships scam.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by faithfull18(f): 2:44pm On Dec 16, 2022
Lol, Interesting thread, here to read comments grin
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Mrquote: 2:45pm On Dec 16, 2022
Ezebinaugwu:
I will love to see my children start learning coding at the age of 4, I believe before they are 15 they will master it

Even though i don't teach programming from basic I share basic tips on my channel

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 16, 2022

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by omoluabiguy: 2:45pm On Dec 16, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
I totally agree with you on this. I can't count how many times I've gone on YouTube to search for Nigerian programmers YouTube channel. I'm not talking about Nigerian programmers living abroad ohh. Even the little ones you get to see barely post anything related to programming, it's all about lifestyle and money...

I just want to calm down and learn my C++ and DSA well enough and do some competitive programming before I go into backend dev. I hope to be the William Lin of Naija grin that guy na my motivation and one of the reasons I fell in love with programming... I've set down at least 7 years to achieve these goals..

Y’all need to check me out really
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Mrquote: 2:45pm On Dec 16, 2022
AutoshalomUSA:
You are very right my dear . I’ve gone through many Nigerian social media influencers and gurus . They are either for hookups , celebrity gossip, music, blockchain, crypto, or fintech .

Nothing really substantial to learn from these opportunists.
I’ve thought about starting a channel to only talk about about legitimate business and career options for those willing to work and huand observe small patience.

Devdev, Stay the course . Very soon Our programmers will start focusing on meaningful projects and more people would be interested in tech for good not for scam .

Thanks

Not true though, just most of us do, I share tips on what I have learnt and how I qas able to solve it.

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by omoluabiguy: 2:46pm On Dec 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
In terms of videos yes because it's expensive to push out video content but if you are talking about written programming content then Nigerians write a lot. I can't count how many times I have gotten stuck and I went online to read and it's an article written by a fellow Nigerian that helped me. Yours truly has even written down some programming articles. If the resources were there, I am sure making video content won't be a problem for Nigerians.

I do the video contents, Nigerians need to support for real lol. Check me out and smash that subscribe button https://www.YouTube.com/c/TheSeniorDev

1 Like

Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by Mrquote: 2:47pm On Dec 16, 2022
Moh247:

Yahoo is different from hacking bro.
Re: Why You Hardly See Nigerians Teaching About Coding On Social Media. by omoluabiguy: 2:47pm On Dec 16, 2022
Check me out and smash that subscribe button https://www.YouTube.com/c/TheSeniorDev

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Official Thread For Experts And Begineers In Python / Nigerian Teen Girls Win International Award With Their Waste Disposal App / Difference Between A Programmer And A Web Developer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.