Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,316 members, 7,853,470 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 05:13 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) (86786 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dayokanu(m): 4:15pm On Sep 01, 2011
Folypimpin

Goetze is the best player in his age category. He is a pure attacking midfielder, Who makes runs and assists in tonnes

Wilshere is more of a Central midfielder who gets involved tackles, Goetze doesnt tackle much though he does his own defensive duties by pressing from the top

In the Dortmund triumvirate of Grooskreutz, Kagawa and Goetze he is easily the most skillfull, very pacy and intelligent, Comfortable both in the middle and on the wings

You should see more of him when Arsenal play Dortmund

They have a very young team one of the youngest in Europe, of the outfield starters maybe Only Striker lukas Barrios is above 25

They have replaced Captain Nuri Sahin with Ilkan Gundogan almost like for like
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dayokanu(m): 4:16pm On Sep 01, 2011
So you all say Wenger has bought right, Now there should be no excuse to be trophyless.

We dey wait oo
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by Roland17(m): 4:17pm On Sep 01, 2011
Man Utd have always been responsible for many of the changes that occur in arsenal, they stopped our unbeaten record and now last weeks demolition has altered Wenger's stubborn policy.

Hopefully we can compete with depth and competition for places in the team.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:46pm On Sep 01, 2011
dipo+:

@debo

U are far too kind o. Anybody that still has issues with who or how much arsenal signs players is just being a dayokanu.
AW made more than 7 signings and[b] someone still 'can't believe' 15M is our biggest signing[/b]. The buy of the season in the whole of england last term (chikarito) cost half the amount we shelled out for Ox.
These days money has lost so much value that 15M sounds like 1.5M to some people and I blame that on chelski and man shittys.
50M pound striker that scored 1 goal in half a whole season grin

bros the "cant believe" is to the effect that i most definitely cannot accept why the boy cost that much. a nobody smallie for 15 million when we were crying out for experienced regulars. we are not man city, 15 mill is too much to have in the reserves or youth team wasting away.

i definitely dont mean the money was too small, or is our "transfer record" I MEANT IT WAS TOO MUCH!!!!
the differing alaroro standards arsene has is just confusing. that boi is never worth that much and we shouldnt have paid that much for him. simple

or u have joined dudu in believing that buying overpriced youngsters and paying them oversized salaries is the best thing for the club?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by Ibime(m): 7:24pm On Sep 01, 2011
@ Follypimples,

Goetze is ma favourite player right now. He is a central attacking midfielder, and if you saw him playing right-side for Germany, its probably cos Ozil was playing. He's versatile enough anyway. Wilshere and Goetze would be a brilliant combo. Obviously Wilshere would play deeper cos he's more tenacious. Anyway don't forget Wilshere started as a right-winger and also played left wing for Bolton so both of em would work together perfectly.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 7:27pm On Sep 01, 2011
Ibime:

Denilson, Diaby, Almunia are all on 60k+ that's why Wenger can't sell em whilst Bendtner is on around 80k likewise Chamhakh. Penny wise, pound foolish.

And the muppet opens his fat stinking gob yet again. . . .Bendtner is on 52k, so unless you're donating your annual salary to him on a weekly basis, I don't know where you got your 80k from.

Even Chamakh with his free transfer boosted pay check isn't earning 80k not to mention Bendtner. Even Almunia is on 50k not 60.

Dunno why some mugus like to chat bollocks just for the fun of it. . . .

Yet again I expect a hurried backtracking from this retardo.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by slimshay(m): 8:15pm On Sep 01, 2011
Debo why you dey fall my hand like this. Arsenal does 2.0 accounting. There's a web based excel spreadsheet (or spreadshit grin if u like) where you can just go and put figures as it suits you. Na there DK discover say we paid £25m for Eduardo. shocked cheesy cheesy

Nice to see Ibime making good use of it. wink grin

For anybody interested: www.arsenalspreadshit2.0.com grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by duduspace(m): 8:16pm On Sep 01, 2011
4llerbuntu:

or u have joined dudu in believing that buying overpriced youngsters and paying them oversized salaries is the best thing for the club?

@4ller
Certain signings are made for certain reasons, nationality being an important one. You can't make a call on OX for now considering the way Theo has come back to haunt some of us. Having an English core is important and a call has to be made in getting OX now at that price or getting him for much more and getting trumped by Manure when it becomes an highest bidder issue after he becomes better known as we did with both Smalling and Jones. If Theo made it with us then I can assure you that boy will be worth 25m pretty soon. How much do you think Theo would go for if we ever made him available for transfer?  undecided
It is also not true that our players earn oversized salaries, the wage bill differential between us and the top 3 is there for a reason and I pointed out that the difference in wage bill between us and Manure would comfortably pay the wages of 4 players earning the same as our highest earner in Arshavin. In the last year I think we were also overtaken by Liverpool.

I'll burst a few bubbles with the predictions thingie, I personally still wouldn't stick my neck out for a trophy this season, next season maybe when I see how these boys come along (Miyaichi, OX, Jekinson et al) they are the new generation and most of these buys like Arteta, Benayoun and Santos are still stop gaps in my opinion Mertesacker aside who I always believed we would buy, the big failures in Arsenal as we all saw last season IMO were people like Arshavin and Rosicky and they are the ones being supplanted as Arsene will still find a way to play those youngsters. If Nasri and Cesc hadnt left, we would never have bought Arteta and Benayoun.

On the whole, I doubt that we've improved over last season and the competition has not been static, I am certain we will make top 4 as usual as that is a given and I wouldn't expect us to collapse if we come as close as we did last season. Right now for Arsenal top 4 is the primary target and anything more is a bonus, that is the reality of things and we are still banking on youth because our squad depth is still largely filled with youth hopefully on the edge of greatness, I will find time to make an analysis of an age breakdown of the squad pretty soon.

The critical players that will determine Arsenal's season are RVP, Gervinho, Arteta, Wilshere, Szczesny and TV5. If 5 of those are able to give us at least 35+ games each, I'll be very optimistic indeed particularly if another Wilshere emerges this season.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by slimshay(m): 8:21pm On Sep 01, 2011
^^^top 4 is target because? We make all this signings and you think we are targeting top4?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by coogar: 8:37pm On Sep 01, 2011
slimshay:

^^^top 4 is target because? We make all this signings and you think we are targeting top4?

if you are going to be realistic with yourself, you would know finishing in the top four this season is an achievement for arsenal.
what happened last night was unwengerlike. . . . .signing so many players at the death of a transfer window is out of character for wenger. not all the players would gel instantly. arsenal are where city were last season.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by duduspace(m): 8:37pm On Sep 01, 2011
slimshay:

Player for player, which of the other top 4 squads is weaker than ours? In terms of squad strength I'd say this is the order:

1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Manure
4. Arsenal

Manure hold the advantage of having a largely unchanged squad with high confidence and little pressure coming off the back of a championship winning streak while Chelsea and Man City might have to deal with blending their squads, we have to do with a weaker squad and bedding in new recruits as well. If I'm not mistaken, neither Park nor Mertesacker speaks English.

I'd never say we can't win the league but winning it would be a massive bonus.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 8:47pm On Sep 01, 2011
duduspace:

@4ller
Certain signings are made for certain reasons, nationality being an important one. You can't make a call on OX for now considering the way Theo has come back to haunt some of us. Having an English core is important and a call has to be made in getting OX now at that price or getting him for much more and getting trumped by Manure when it becomes an highest bidder issue after he becomes better known as we did with both Smalling and Jones. If Theo made it with us then I can assure you that boy will be worth 25m pretty soon. How much do you think Theo would go for if we ever made him available for transfer?  undecided
It is also not true that our players earn oversized salaries, the wage bill differential between us and the top 3 is there for a reason and I pointed out that the difference in wage bill between us and Manure would comfortably pay the wages of 4 players earning the same as our highest earner in Arshavin. In the last year I think we were also overtaken by Liverpool.

I'll burst a few bubbles with the predictions thingie, I personally still wouldn't stick my neck out for a trophy this season, next season maybe when I see how these boys come along (Miyaichi, OX, Jekinson et al) they are the new generation and most of these buys like Arteta, Benayoun and Santos are still stop gaps in my opinion Mertesacker aside who I always believed we would buy, the big failures in Arsenal as we all saw last season IMO were people like Arshavin and Rosicky and they are the ones being supplanted as Arsene will still find a way to play those youngsters. If Nasri and Cesc hadnt left, we would never have bought Arteta and Benayoun.

On the whole, I doubt that we've improved over last season and the competition has not been static, I am certain we will make top 4 as usual as that is a given and I wouldn't expect us to collapse if we come as close as we did last season. Right now for Arsenal top 4 is the primary target and anything more is a bonus, that is the reality of things and we are still banking on youth because our squad depth is still largely filled with youth hopefully on the edge of greatness, I will find time to make an analysis of an age breakdown of the squad pretty soon.

The critical players that will determine Arsenal's season are RVP, Gervinho, Arteta, Wilshere, Szczesny and TV5. If 5 of those are able to give us at least 35+ games each, I'll be very optimistic indeed particularly if another Wilshere emerges this season.

Jeez Christ! Why does nobody ever seem to recognize Bacary Sagna? angry
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by slimshay(m): 8:50pm On Sep 01, 2011
You have to admit that's your personal opinion stated as official club stance. ManU seen as favorites, please how exactly are they much stronger than we are at the moment. (No 8-2 jokes please)
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by duduspace(m): 8:50pm On Sep 01, 2011
dipo+:

Jeez Christ! Why does nobody ever seem to recognize Bacary Sagna? angry

You are right. I was mostly looking down the spine. Bac is even more critical this season considering Jenkinson needs to be brought in gently but then Bac guarantees that every season anyway.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dayokanu(m): 8:54pm On Sep 01, 2011
Wenger spent all the money you all wanted yet you still claimed top 4 is your target?

So assuming he didnt spend anything, What would the target be? TOP 40?

Some people are simply clueless
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by Ibime(m): 8:55pm On Sep 01, 2011
http://www.football.co.uk/newcastle_united/toon_shy_off_bendtner_because_of_wage_demands_rss1717819.shtml

Mehn, I've been stuck on the M1 in Buckinghamshire for the last 4 hours. Lorry caught fire just few hundred yards in front. If anybody is in the same gridlock, please I need some refreshments!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by chamotex(m): 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2011
Ibime:

http://www.football.co.uk/newcastle_united/toon_shy_off_bendtner_because_of_wage_demands_rss1717819.shtml

Mehn, I've been stuck on the M1 in Buckinghamshire for the last 4 hours. Lorry caught fire just few hundred yards in front. If anybody is in the same gridlock, please I need some refreshments!!!

You want nkwobi? cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by duduspace(m): 9:00pm On Sep 01, 2011
slimshay:

You have to admit that's your personal opinion stated as official club stance. ManU seen as favorites, please how exactly are they much stronger than we are at the moment. (No 8-2 jokes please)

They've already done it 3 times before and have further strengthened and rejuvenated their squad, all they've lost from last season's championship winning squad is VDS and Scholes and they invested close to another 50m if I'm not mistaken. Smalling and Jones are the 2 best young CBs in the English game at this point in time, hence why we were in for both.

We on the contrary have lost our 2 best players (both just reaching their primes) and have mostly settled for what you would term inferior quality or would you boldly stick your chest out and say Arteta is better than Cesc or that Gervinho is better than Nasri? while there might be some dispute over the latter, the former is very clear and certainly not in dispute.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by slimshay(m): 9:05pm On Sep 01, 2011
£50m, not to disparage them or anything. But once again people mixup expensive signing and good signing.

I didn't say they were not stronger. But much stronger. If quality in depth was the issue, might as well give it to the lesser scummies and call it a day.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by duduspace(m): 9:07pm On Sep 01, 2011
slimshay:

£50m, not to disparage them or anything. But once again people mixup expensive signing and good signing.

I didn't say they were not stronger. But much stronger. If quality in depth was the issue, might as well give it to the lesser scummies and call it a day.

That is precisely the problem, if it was straight up between us and Manure maybe we could have taken advantage of any slip ups, it is not likely that all 3 would slip up at the same time. That is what assure's DK's donkeys a Bundesliga trophy at least once every 3 years or thereabouts.  grin grin
If its any consolation, the league is also not sure for Manure this season.

I'm not saying we can't win any of the cups though, if we're lucky in the draws and don't meet difficult opposition during the the 2 game per week stages when the UCL is in full swing, we could win one of those but to win this league is a difficult ask, not sure we're ready for that just yet.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 9:11pm On Sep 01, 2011
Ibime:

That is your punishment for all the rubbish megedefegede you yarn on this thread.  tongue

And for that rubbish link you posted, it is pure bollocks. . . there are many links that confirm he earns £50k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1354689/Nicklas-Bendtner-I-deserve-50k-week-wage-Arsenal--Ive-skiing-football.html

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/08/14/sunderland-and-newcastle-in-head-to-head-battle-for-bendtner-102039-23342519/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8310370/Nicklas-Bendtner-says-hes-deserving-of-50000-a-week-wages-because-of-sacrifices-he-has-to-make.html
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by duduspace(m): 9:14pm On Sep 01, 2011
Erm Ibime, why are you mentioning Newcastle? are you forgetting the Andy Carroll story?  grin grin
by the way, why you nor get one of those Sat Navs wey dey give traffic info and route diversions? abi yu sef dey scrooge like Arsenal?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by coogar: 9:27pm On Sep 01, 2011
duduspace:

That is precisely the problem, if it was straight up between us and Manure maybe we could have taken advantage of any slip ups, it is not likely that all 3 would slip up at the same time. That is what assure's DK's donkeys a Bundesliga trophy at least once every 3 years or thereabouts.  grin grin
If its any consolation, the league is also not sure for Manure this season.

I'm not saying we can't win any of the cups though, if we're lucky in the draws and don't meet difficult opposition during the the 2 game per week stages when the UCL is in full swing, we could win one of those but to win this league is a difficult ask, not sure we're ready for that just yet.

i am willing to bet on that with anyone on this forum. united will win the league over and over again this season.
debarring fergie kicking the bucket, united will finish at least 6 points ahead of the runner-up. people underestimate the squad fergie has assembled.
united have 2 different teams capable of finishing as champions in the league.

de gea/lindegaard/kusczack

rafael/fabio/smalling
rio/smalling/evans
vidic/evans/jones
evra/fabio/evans

nani/valencia/js park
fletcher/cleverley/carrick/pogba
anderson/giggs/gibson/morrison
young/js park/giggs

rooney/welbeck/diouf
berbatov/chicharito/owen

beating arsenal 8-2 won't be the only humiliation lined up this season for united's rivals.
more humiliations would be dished out. others should have capitalized when united were burdened with the debt. now, the net debt keeps reducing and it's freeing funds for fergie to assemble a super squad. the league's golden boot winner last season hasn't really featured and 80% of the starters of last season's european final have been warming the bench.

it's united's title. others should take their domestic cup campaign seriously.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by duduspace(m): 9:36pm On Sep 01, 2011
coogar:

i am willing to bet on that with anyone on this forum. united will win the league over and over again this season.
debarring fergie kicking the bucket, united will finish at least 6 points ahead of the runner-up. people underestimate the squad fergie has assembled.
This I will dispute and I'm willing to bet on it. Whoever wins this league will not have such a points difference to the runner up.
If yu're still so bullish about Manure's chances come December, I might be willing to take you up on the other.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 9:44pm On Sep 01, 2011
Why do we need to see Utd squad details on this thread?

Moderakina please delete sharon's post. tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dayokanu(m): 9:46pm On Sep 01, 2011
debosky:

Why do we need to see Utd squad details on this thread?

^^ To inspire your bunch of reetardss
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 9:50pm On Sep 01, 2011
coogar:

united have 2 different teams capable of finishing as champions in the league.

de gea/lindegaard/kusczack

rafael/fabio/smalling
rio/smalling/evans
vidic/evans/jones
evra/fabio/evans

nani/valencia/js park
fletcher/cleverley/carrick/pogba
anderson/giggs/gibson/morrison
young/js park/giggs

rooney/welbeck/diouf
berbatov/chicharito/owen

beating arsenal 8-2 won't be the only humiliation lined up this season for united's rivals.
more humiliations would be dished out. others should have capitalized when united were burdened with the debt. now, the net debt keeps reducing and it's freeing funds for fergie to assemble a super squad. the league's golden boot winner last season hasn't really featured and 80% of the starters of last season's european final have been warming the bench.

it's united's title. others should take their domestic cup campaign seriously.

If it were just a matter of possible permutations 'capable of finishing as champions', Man City would get a better look-in at the rpl title than Manure.  

I agree that makes Manure perennial champions is Ferguson and nothing more. If Ferguson managed City since the entrance of their sugar daddies, they would have won the Epl at least twice.

Not trying to be pessimistic, our chances of winning the epl is slim. We now have a big squad but it will take sometime for them to reach the maximum of their potential as a unit.   If anything, I say we are better suited to 'spring a surprise' than we were in the past few seasons
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by slimshay(m): 10:13pm On Sep 01, 2011
@Dudu let me be clear, I understand we are all trying to manage our expectations. We should. Big signings or not, a new assembly of players need time to gel.

That said though, I will be more than disappointed if anybody officialy linked to the club made any statement that sounds like we are settling for top4. I mean, what then was the point of asseblying all that experience, extensive player turnover, having 9 or so national team captains, etc etc. . .to compete as also rans? I dont think so.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by slimshay(m): 10:17pm On Sep 01, 2011
@Sharon, believe me, on paper your team does not support your boasting. Yeah yeah. . .we know. . .football is not played on paper.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by tunnytox(m): 10:19pm On Sep 01, 2011
Why are united fans invading this thread? are you still obsessed with Arsenal  grin grin grin (forget the 8-2 jokes) We still dey kampe
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 11:01pm On Sep 01, 2011
^^

They all love this club. But with varying degrees of boldness within all of us, some prefer to act
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 11:18pm On Sep 01, 2011
30 pages in ONE WEEK. . . that has to be some form of record on nairaland for a thread.

I am sure Arsene saw this and decided to sign players to reward Arsenal fans for such prolific posting. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (100)

Liverpool Vs Chelsea (1 - 1) On August 28 2021 / Ajax Vs Tottenham Hotspur: UCL Semi-Finals (2 - 3) On 8th May 2019 / Chelsea Vs Real Madrid UCL (2 -0) On 5th May 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.