Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,378 members, 7,861,044 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:00 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) (86909 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by tkb417(m): 5:12pm On Oct 07, 2011
dipo+:

^^

You really think that was funny?

and you are?

abeg no dey quote me oh. i dont know you
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dayokanu(m): 5:13pm On Oct 07, 2011
dipo+:

^^

You really think that was funny?

^^ Why Would you continue to be brainless despite all entreaties?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by duduspace(m): 5:53pm On Oct 07, 2011
Ibime:

@ Duduspace,

Be careful what you say on these pages. Comparing Frimpong to Tiote is prepostorous. First and foremost, Tiote is a highly technical midfielder, not just an enforcer. Frimpong is just an enforcer for now. Tiote plays on the left side of a 3 man midfield for Ivory Coast with his brief as much attacking as defensive and he acquits himself better than Yaya Toure who plays RCM while Zokora holds behind them. In other words, Tiote can play CM, DM or AM if need be, with all the technical qualities to flourish in each of those roles. Frimpong vs Tiote is like comparing Sani Kaita (very effective DM despite WC red-card) to Sunday Oliseh (highly technical with a passing ability better than most AMs)

Noted, I was referring to how he is being used at Newcastle and the comparison was between Coquelin and Frimpong. It remains to be seen what exactly Frimpong will become as Tiote has a 6 year headstart and the boy should just be glad he plays for Arsenal for now. grin Lets see how Ghana choose to use him. Pardon me though, are you suggesting that Tiote is better than Yaya Toure as a CM/AM or did I get that part of your post wrong?  undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 5:56pm On Oct 07, 2011
tkb417:

and you are?

abeg no dey quote me oh. i dont know you

Don't know much bout u either. But you must be working for Coogar
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by duduspace(m): 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2011
@tkb

Don't tell me yu're joining Coogar in perpetuating imbecility, I will carry out a DDOS attack against stakersden o, be warned.  angry
leave us in peace on this thread.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2011
dayokanu:

^^ Why Would you continue to be brainless despite all entreaties?

Do you know any other words aside 'brainless'?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by edoyad(m): 6:10pm On Oct 07, 2011
dipo+:

Do you know any other words aside 'brainless'?

"wengay" and "gayners", well,if you consider them words.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:14pm On Oct 07, 2011
arseblog post of 4th october 2011

on point, as usual

Inability to do the basics worrying
by arseblogger on October 4th, 2011   /   Arseblog, the arsenal blog   /   716 arses

Morning all, and it’s into the Interlull we go.

One of the worst things about our form at the moment is that it makes Interlulls seem almost welcome. It’s a chance for some re-grouping, for players to go off and clear their heads a bit, and for the manager and his staff to reassess where we are. The headlines this morning are about Arsene Wenger writing off our title chances already. Asked if it were still a possibility, he said:

We are 12 points behind Manchester United and Manchester City – so it’s not realistic to say that we will win the league. We have to fight to come back into a much better position, that’s the reality.

And clearly there’s no chance of winning the league this season. I’m all for happy miracles and all that but it’s just never going to happen. That’s not to say we should write the season off. There are still 31 games to go and lots of points to play for, it’s whether or not Arsene Wenger can turn this team around that’s the real issue.

I wonder if he has doubts about it himself. I know he talks all the time about how he believes in the potential of the players but we also know that much of the public backing of the team is for the team’s sake, to try and instill confidence. He can’t look at a team which continues to make fundamental mistakes, that professional footballers at this level just should not make, and not have doubts, can he?

It’s not a case that we’ve been desperately unlucky to come up against teams who have, on the day we’ve played them, turned in scintillatingly good performances. We’ve lost points through a self-inflicted combination of ill-discipline, spurned chances and, let’s face it, abysmal defending. And that abysmal defending continues not to be a problem simply of the back four. How often do we speak about it being a team effort yet Sp*rs second on Sunday was preventable, through nothing more than simple concentration.

If we were more detatched from this situation, watching a team whose current league run is as poor as Arsenal’s, and whose manager seems unable to correct the basics, we’d probably suggest in that footballing way that ‘he’s lost the dressing room’. The fact is players don’t get to this level of football without being able to do the basics. If Arsene can’t get that much out of them, at a time when it should be the very least we can expect, it’s very worrying.

People will talk of a lack of confidence, and that’s clearly an issue too, but you don’t need to be confident to track a man running through your midfield, you don’t need to be confident to close a guy down when he’s about to shoot, and you really don’t need to be confident to hump the ball 50 yards to a 6’7 defender trying his hand as a striker in the last 10 minutes of a derby.

The Express has an interesting quote from an ‘Arsenal source’ who said Pat Rice went mental at the players in the dressing room following the Sp*rs game. This source apparently said (link contains annoying autoplaying video):

Pat went crazy in the dressing room. He left the players in no doubt they have to improve – and quickly. He told them to look at themselves in the mirror. It is quite out of character for Pat to be so outspoken with the players, but it shows how passionate he is about the club.

You don’t spend as long at Arsenal as Pat Rice has without feeling the pain of a defeat against Sp*rs, and one which was entirely preventable. And who knows, maybe it’s just what the team needs. Arsene’s quiet contemplation might be effective when you’ve got a team who is experienced and doesn’t need to be told where they’ve gone wrong, but with younger players, and players who repeat the same mistakes again and again, maybe they need to be told.

Yet youth isn’t much of an excuse when you look at the team that played on Sunday. There were no rookies, no debutants, no real kids. There were a couple of thousand first team games between the starting XI, I’d say, so the players out there knew that when you switch off at the highest level of football you very often find yourself punished.

I listened to a bit of Martin Keown on Talkshite yesterday and he suggested communication from the defence to those in midfield was an issue. He said:

At the moment it doesn’t look as if the defenders demand enough, and give enough information to the players in front of them. When the ball went out of play yesterday for the 2nd goal it’s inexcusable that players switch off like that. If the ball went out of play when we were playing, it was red alert.

It was almost as if someone had drawn a gun on you, you didn’t turn your back on the gun, you didn’t turn your back on the ball, because you’d get punished. Players have to come alive in those situations and that’s not happening.

So, a lack of communication and organisation, and that’s a genuine worry. No doubt this will spark further calls for a defensive coach, for someone like Keown to come in, but a) we know Arsene doesn’t want to do that, he’s been quite clear, and b) this isn’t something that you should need a defensive coach for. Any manager worth his salt ought to be able to organise his team to deal with something as simple as a throw-in.

Pat Rice’s words are interesting in that they might also apply to the manager. Maybe as much as the players, he needs to take a look in the mirror to try and find solutions to the problems that we have. The current methods are not working, the lack of consistency remains a real problem, and if, as Stan Kroenke says, the manager won’t be changed, then the manager has to change. Arsene is an old leopard at this stage though and I doubt his spots will undergo any transformation.

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by coogar: 6:37pm On Oct 07, 2011
duduspace:

@tkb

Don't tell me yu're joining Coogar in perpetuating imbecility, I will carry out a DDOS attack against stakersden o, be warned.  angry
leave us in peace on this thread.

you are a miserable tool!

dipo+:

Don't know much bout u either. But you must be working for Coogar

dupe, must you mention my username?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 7:21pm On Oct 07, 2011
^
Ok. What's ur real name?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 7:22pm On Oct 07, 2011
^
Ok. What's ur real name? As is on your passport
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dip0: 11:09pm On Oct 07, 2011
[flash=480,390]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeUmJMfHvyA&feature=related[/flash]
Some Djorou skill from the archives.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dayokanu(m): 11:19pm On Oct 07, 2011
^^ Shut your stinking mouth. Aint you ashamed of yourself?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by KayDee4: 3:06am On Oct 08, 2011
undecided Djourou has always been as clumsy as Frank Spencer.

Meanwhile, some entertainment to make up for lack of PL footie.

The best of RvP

[flash=480,390]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZ5c3m3IJI?version=3"><[/flash]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by A40(m): 10:34am On Oct 08, 2011
You people should not hype this Chamberlain boy to death ooh! A few goals against Iceland e.t.c doesnt make him the shyte and the toilet paper yet as far as i am concerned the boy is still too raw to be compared with Theo as he tends to drift off of games sometimes even before half-time (Olympiakos)

I dont know about yall but for me Gervinho has not exactly done much.

@Duduspace
Time would tell if Chamberlain is the real deal but for now i still maintain Theo has been our most productive player going forward this season

As for Ramsey he has to work on his concentration and work ethic which is sub-par or else he would never be a good midfielder
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 6:20pm On Oct 08, 2011
With Cameroun not making it to the ACN, that's one less player lost during January - Alex Song will be LANS come January. grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 7:30pm On Oct 08, 2011
LANS = Like A New Signing
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 7:38pm On Oct 08, 2011
A-40:

You people should not hype this Chamberlain boy to death ooh! A few goals against Iceland e.t.c doesnt make him the shyte and the toilet paper yet as far as i am concerned the boy is still too raw to be compared with Theo as he tends to drift off of games sometimes even before half-time (Olympiakos)

@Duduspace
Time would tell if Chamberlain is the real deal but for now i still maintain Theo has been our most productive player going forward this season

As for Ramsey he has to work on his concentration and work ethic which is sub-par or else he would never be a good midfielder

because The Ox is set to bounce Walcott off the wings
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by proudly9ja(m): 9:39pm On Oct 08, 2011
A-40:

Totally agree with you as per Ox, I still feel he's still got work to do to get to Walcott's level. As for Theo, he's just suffering from lack of confidence. Yes, needs to improve on his decision making but he's still our best man (just behind RVP) going forward.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by A40(m): 9:43pm On Oct 08, 2011
dipo+:

because The Ox is set to bounce Walcott off the wings
No be only bounce na Spalding!! Even the much heralded Gervinho has done next to squat

proudly9ja:

Totally agree with you as per Ox, I still feel he's still got work to do to get to Walcott's level. As for Theo, he's just suffering from lack of confidence. Yes, needs to improve on his decision making but he's still our best man (just behind RVP) going forward.
Lol of what use is his "so-called skill" if he cant be relevant in a game for more than 30 mins. People talk down on Theo but the numbers are there to show that he is doing his bit on the pitch
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 11:05pm On Oct 08, 2011
What 'lack of confidence' is Theo suffering from again? Because he didn't have a good game vs Spurs?

Was he showing a lack of confidence when he was creating goals for RVP in our last home game, or games before then? He's scored or created in most of our games this season and he's suffering from a lack of confidence? If half the side showed the same lack of confidence we wouldn't be in the position we're in now.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by edoyad(m): 2:31pm On Oct 09, 2011
what happened ?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by proudly9ja(m): 4:36pm On Oct 09, 2011
debosky:

What 'lack of confidence' is Theo suffering from again? Because he didn't have a good game vs Spurs?

Was he showing a lack of confidence when he was creating goals for RVP in our last home game, or games before then? He's scored or created in most of our games this season and he's suffering from a lack of confidence? If half the side showed the same lack of confidence we wouldn't be in the position we're in now.

Calm down , I was only referring to those slating him.

Theo needs to improve on his decision making when it comes to trying to beat a player one on one. Asides the 'predictable' pushing the ball forward to his right/left (depending on which wing he is on), adding one or two tricks would help his game and though I'm not a footballer, I put it down to lack of confidence. In the England vs Montenegro game, there was a counter attack where Theo took the ball from England's half to Monte's box and just didnt know what to do again. Eventually, he fell over the ball and the opponent took over. Ive seen him do same for Arsenal especially when playing against Evra.
If he believes in himself and works hard at it, I still believe he can at least get close to Titi's level.
For Ox to get to Theo's current level, it will take him more than a season. For now, I'm content with watching him in CC games and the occassional FA and League games.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by proudly9ja(m): 4:42pm On Oct 09, 2011
Anyways,
One more week to go
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 5:29pm On Oct 09, 2011
So needing to add one or two tricks to your game is an indication of lack of confidence not a general need to improve? cheesy

Even Nani that is tearing up the league still has flaws in his decision making that he needs to cut out - can he also be described as lacking in confidence?

Anyways, I'll attribute that comment to English not being your first language or the need to criticize certain players regardless of performance, or just idleness caused by the international break. Select whichever more closely applies. grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by coogar: 6:03pm On Oct 09, 2011
debosky:

So needing to add one or two tricks to your game is an indication of lack of confidence not a general need to improve? cheesy

theo walcott has the shittiest football brain ever!
i don't think he's longer trainable! this boy has been at arsenal for almost 6 years now and we are still waiting for him to deliver.

Even Nani that is tearing up the league still has flaws in his decision making that he needs to cut out - can he also be described as lacking in confidence?

nani would still execute a pass, over/underhit the cross, or shoot from a distance!
walcott takes the ball to the touch-line and would lose possession without any pressure. he must be the most frustrating winger for arsenal's forwards. someone like chamakh became ordinary because of walcott's periodic brain-farts. eboue has a better cross than walcott.

Anyways, I'll attribute that comment to English not being your first language or the need to criticize certain players regardless of performance, or just idleness caused by the international break. Select whichever more closely applies. grin

is english your own first language? see gbongan boy trying to feel funky. cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 6:10pm On Oct 09, 2011
Still trolling for responses are we? You won't be indulged here.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by dipo1: 7:24pm On Oct 09, 2011
To be honest, I think you either have it or you don't. After all these years at top level, methinks a player like Walcott can't learn a thing like dribbling (with technique and cunning and not the push a ball and go after it type) at this stage in his development.

We should just take him (walcott) as he is. His style is quite effective against some players and in certain scenarios, like when the opposition full backs have run their hearts out.

He should not be drafted to CF in my opinion, cos there he won't get space to run and his inability to beat a man will render him completely useless. In the game against the Totts, the only shot i remember him take was in a position with his back to the post.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by A40(m): 7:48pm On Oct 09, 2011
debosky:

Gervinho had a stinker! I do hope he picks up soon because ive not seen anything fantastic about him since he arrived

proudly9ja:

Calm down ,  I was only referring to those slating him.

Theo needs to improve on his decision making when it comes to trying to beat a player one on one. Asides the 'predictable' pushing the ball forward to his right/left (depending on which wing he is on), adding one or two tricks would help his game and though I'm not a footballer, I put it down to lack of confidence. In the England vs Montenegro game, there was a counter attack where Theo took the ball from England's half to Monte's box and just didnt know what to do again. Eventually, he fell over the ball and the opponent took over. Ive seen him do same for Arsenal especially when playing against Evra.
If he believes in himself and works hard at it, I still believe he can at least get close to Titi's level.
For Ox to get to Theo's current level, it will take him more than a season. For now, I'm content with watching him in CC games and the occassional FA and League games.

The thing is you would struggle to find a player who has done well this season at Arsenal not even Van Persie. Based on last season Theo Walcott is the next most productive winger in England after Nani at 22 thats enough for me
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 7:54pm On Oct 09, 2011
@ A-40

I blame it on the 2 week break in footie - even in the Montenegro game proudly was talking about, Theo nearly scored with a volley in the first half and provided a sumptuous cross for England's opener.

Consistent end product so far this season is a sign of being low on confidence apparently. grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by hannie: 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2011
@Debosky

U have an annoying way of thinking you truly have a mastery of a language that is supposed to be our lingua franca!

Proudly talked about his lack of confiedence, yet u came up with figures and stats . . .at the end of the day what will matter arent those stats but the overall effect the stats do have on the team . . .with all the glowing stats u love to talk about where are we on the log? when a player isnt exactly doing well, lets man up and say things as there were and stop arguing like ediots!!!

wetin Arsenal and Super Chickens take different?  grin

BTW . . .

where is that ediot called Ibime who had been hyping Osaze like his life depended on sucking his balls?

I told him that Nsofor and IK UCHE were the very best players Nigeria had alongside Enyeama and without them in that team, we had squat to boast about . . .now SAI1 who I also warned people about the 'goodwill' mantra played the discipline card until he stewpidly droppped Enyeama  . . .why the hell didnt he just use him for the match and punish him thereafter . . .like I was telling 2 of the top guys in the Sports analysis thingy yesterday YESTERDAY'S MATCH WAS BIGGER THAN ANY COACH OR PLAYER!

Why use Osaze when right from training u knew he wasnt fit enuff? just to prove that the scumtwat and urself had settled and u had no more differences? RUBBISH!!!

a tale of 2 Obis, both of them were struggling to cope with the menacing Bangoura, Ferdunho and Traore . . yet Sia1 foolishly subbed a better Joel Obi until the midfield crashed on Mikel's head!! embarassed

u put a pacy Musa on the bench and u put an ineffective Obasi for as much as when they scored us? is SIA1 mad? ISWEARRU  . . .GOD!!! shocked HIS CAREER IS bleeping FINISHED!!! angry

why am I not surprised? he did the same thing at Egypt, when a few of us were complaining we were being shut up . . .truly we all accepted to move forwrd whereasr some people in the sports firmament didnt think Sia1 was the right choice, we believed he should be given time to prove himself . . .I even got into a spat with Dudu-Orumen on this issue where he had been lashing Sia1 seriously . . now arent his critics justified?

Osaze as foolish as he has always been, comes out to spew his usual balderdash that it was because of Joshua's prediction that we didnt qualify . . .were ni bobo yi sha!!  shocked

to make matters worse after seeing reactions he begins to lash out at journalists . . .saying becos he doesnt give them money they are the ones acting the enemies? undecided

would every journalist go the Complete Sports newspaper way? no be those ediots for there hin dey give money make dem launder hin image? thunder fire your head Osaze for your insensitive and puerile comments!

your career is finished u Arrow!!!  angry angry
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread (the Night Is Darkest Just Before The Dawn) by debosky(m): 8:40pm On Oct 09, 2011
hannie:

@Debosky

Proudly talked about his lack of confiedence, yet u came up with figures and stats . . .at the end of the day what will matter arent those stats but the overall effect the stats do have on the team . . .with all the glowing stats u love to talk about where are we on the log? when a player isnt exactly doing well, lets man up and say things as there were and stop arguing like ediots!!!

Who gives a flying fart whether he is 'confident' when he is producing results? If Theo's 'lack of confidence' ensured we are in the CL group stages, I repeat let every member of that squad show a similar level of 'confidence'.

This married life is dulling you seriously.

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (100)

Liverpool Vs Chelsea (1 - 1) On August 28 2021 / Ajax Vs Tottenham Hotspur: UCL Semi-Finals (2 - 3) On 8th May 2019 / Chelsea Vs Real Madrid UCL (2 -0) On 5th May 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.