Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide (23929 Views)

Soldiers Rescue Woman From Committing Suicide In Lagos Lagoon / Man Stopped From Committing Suicide By Jumping Into Lagos Lagoon (Photos, Video) / "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by nwigwemark: 2:34pm On Nov 21, 2022
When their number royalty threatened a particular region with the lagoon, most people thought he was joking.

Now he has unleashed his JuJu and many people are jumping into the lagoon.

Fortunately, the targeted tribe has been avoiding the lagoon since then.

May God have mercy

2 Likes

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Goldbw122(m): 2:34pm On Nov 21, 2022
Na so them like the lagoon?
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by faceland: 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
The APC government has driven many Nigerians to suicide and death

It was difficult to read or hear that Nigerians killed themselves or jump inside lagoon in the past till APC came to power

We must vote them out

Must!

And they are not done yet (until Nigeria turns to Somali).

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Amza07(m): 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2022
with my condition now i gave no option than to die o
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by NuruDiddy: 2:36pm On Nov 21, 2022
Oba of Lagos said he will drive all igbos into Lagoon. He threatened the Lord's people now God is driving his people into the Lagoon like he did to Egyptians. Bible said the Egyptians we see today,we will see them no more.

Tinubu built Lagos with evil,ill gotten & dubious money,that's why his people ending their miserable lives there

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:37pm On Nov 21, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
The APC government has driven many Nigerians to suicide and death

It was difficult to read or hear that Nigerians killed themselves or jump inside lagoon in the past till APC came to power

We must vote them out

Must!

Don't politicize the issue.

People have been committing suicide long before the economic issue.

Recently, a boy committed suicide because a girl dumped him. I guess it was also APC that caused the dumping.

There was the guy who killed himself some years back. It was said that it was not his first time of attempting suicide.

If we continue to underrate depression by making silly jokes, it will only get worse.

In developed countries, hotlines are being created to manage suicidal thoughts. In Nigeria, we are busy politicizing.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by faceland: 2:37pm On Nov 21, 2022
nwigwemark:
When their number royalty threatened a particular region with the lagoon, most people thought he was joking.

Now he has unleashed his JuJu and many people are jumping into the lagoon.

Fortunately, the targeted tribe has been avoiding the lagoon since then.

May God have mercy

It is those closest to the Lagoon that jumps in it (mostly his own people). Even a DSS agent recently jumper over "love".

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by specialmati(m): 2:39pm On Nov 21, 2022
[quote author=onuman post=118568648][/quote] grin grin grin grin grin grin thank you.these are the group that brought calamity upon the nation. non should be allow to rule this country

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by faceland: 2:40pm On Nov 21, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

Don't politicize the issue.

People have been committing suicide long before the economic issue.

Recently, a boy committed suicide because a girl dumped him. I guess it was also APC that caused the dumping.

There was the guy who killed himself some years back. It was said that it was not his first time of attempting suicide.

If we continue to underrate depression by making silly jokes, it will only get worse.

In developed countries, hotlines are being created to manage suicidal thoughts. In Nigeria, we are busy politicizing.

The boy doesn't believe in his own future so he killed himself. He knows even if he graduates, his life wouldn't change much. She must have overdosed him on hard-truth before dumping him.

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Mercury12(m): 2:40pm On Nov 21, 2022
meobizy:
Your opinion.
except you part of the lot that don't believe in afterlife.
Perhaps you think everything ends when a human dies. No soul. No God and no other realm except our that of earthlings else my last question is really worth thinking about
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:41pm On Nov 21, 2022
DropsMic:
Growing up as kids on the streets of Lagos, Suicide, kidnapping for ransom, terrorism, girls on panties dancing in music videos, etc were things we only saw in Hollywood… Today all of them don become part of our reality.

That is because the world has become a global village.

There are mobile phones, internet, decoders. So, all these things go viral easily unlike before.

The world is changing. It is not Nigeria alone.

Centuries ago, it was said that you could put your goods in the market without staying there and no one will steal it. People will take what they want to buy and leave the money on the table of the seller. The seller will return and find his money right there untouched.

Can you try it in today's world where greed has risen and many people are desperate to ride big cars and live in mansions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by faceland: 2:45pm On Nov 21, 2022
soberdrunk:
Absolutely Nothing spiritual about it, there is a high level of financial, emotional and even physical frustration in Nigeria this period, so many people are on the edge and the slightest disappointment this period can trigger suicide, the Lagoon seems like the easiest and most convenient place to end it all without the need for cleanup or being an extra burden to anyone else........

Add having access to the internet and seeing people with better standards of living and knowing that things ought to be far better.

Lagoon method really makes sense. No deadbody or spectacle.

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:48pm On Nov 21, 2022
faceland:

The boy doesn't believe in his own future so he killed himself. He knows even if he graduates, his life wouldn't change much. She must have overdosed him on hard-truth before dumping him.

Which hard-truth?

It is depression. Sometimes, depression is even genetic and can run in a family.

We need to dedicate more time to mental health in Nigeria instead of politicizing issues.

When I say depression, I don't mean sadness. Sadness is a normal human feeling. But depression is not normal.

The woman who jumped into the lagoon after a quarrel with her fiance may have other mental issues, including even narcissism.

4 Likes

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Johel(m): 2:48pm On Nov 21, 2022

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Father4all: 2:51pm On Nov 21, 2022
Suicide had became rampant since EVIL APC came into power

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by LushGreenz: 2:53pm On Nov 21, 2022
That's how you know the level of strife and austerity in the land is excruciating. Nigerians are some of the most resilient people on the planet since time immemorial... Slogans like " E go better", "Suffering and Smiling", "God dey" etc only point to their dogged and die-hard mentality.

Suicide has not been their thing, maybe 1 in every 200 will take that as the last resort, most Nigerians will battle their predicament.

The high rise in suicide points to the socio-economic failures,bad politics, terrorism, kidnappings, Corruption, Nepotism,poor infrastructure, militant policing with no value for fundamental human rights.

Nigeria is a contraption that should be dismantled either amicably or through a civil redress.

Giant of African Decay and Corruption

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by jessylaurel(f): 2:53pm On Nov 21, 2022

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by BABANGBALI: 2:58pm On Nov 21, 2022
Pray that Tinubu does not win next year's election, if he does, this one go be child's play, compared to what would happen under his government

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Christistruth00: 2:59pm On Nov 21, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

The oba of Lagos has always been an irresponsible man

There is nothing royalty about him, he's a monumental disgrace

Thank God you are not from Lagos

You don’t understand the Significance of his Throne and it’s heritage

Not everyone likes King Charles but they Understand the Significance Of the

Throne of England

The Throne Of Lagos is the Same, It represents the Kingdom Of Lagos

Past Present and Future

The Oba of Lagos represents Centuries Of Lagos History and Heritage
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Eriokanmi: 3:04pm On Nov 21, 2022
I believe in mermaid being created by God but not being responsible for people plunging into the lagoon. The situation in the country is not smiling at all. The APC had unleashed so much hardship on Nigerians that, those with weak dispositions could easily think of suicide nowadays. The blood of those who had committed suicide will be visited on them all...all the leaders who have caused Nigerians so much hardship and are still planning to remain in power perpetually. Just look at them...how many of them are healthy despite the billions of dollars stashed in their various homes? They can not outsmart God nah. Those following them like mumu too may have a share of the curse if they do not repent.

Why I believe God also created Mermaids...there was a day my friend was going back to school in Ilorin. They got to a big river along the road at noon. The bus slowed down and my friend said he saw one man, descending the steep side of the river freely as if he was walking on a plain ground. He was shocked...how can someone be descending a steep slope at the river bank and he did not fall inside the river? He asked one of the fellow passengers in the vehicle. The man looked in that direction but said he could not see any image. My friend watched this man enter the river until he could not see his body again. He said he was just smiling as he was entering until he vanished in the big river, around 1pm.

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Christistruth00: 3:06pm On Nov 21, 2022
Eriokanmi:
I believe in mermaid being created by God but not being responsible for people plunging into the lagoon. The situation in the country is not smiling at all. The APC had unleashed so much hardship on Nigerians that, those with weak dispositions could easily think of suicide nowadays. The blood of those who had committed suicide will be visited on them all...all the leaders who have caused Nigerians so much hardship and are still planning to remain in power perpetually. Just look at them...how many of them are healthy despite the billions of dollars stashed in their various homes? They can not outsmart God nah. Those following them like mumu too may have a share of the curse if they do not repent.

Why I believe God also created Mermaids...there was a day my friend was going back to school in Ilorin. They got to a big river along the road at noon. The bus slowed down and my friend said he saw one man, descending the steep side of the river freely as if he was walking on a plain ground. He was shocked...how can someone be descending a steep slope at the river bank and he did not fall inside the river? He asked one of the fellow passengers in the vehicle. The man looked in that direction but said he could not see any image. My friend watched this man enter the river until he could not see his body again. He said he was just smiling as he was entering until he vanished in the big river, around 1pm.

Mermaids are Evil Spirits

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Litmus: 3:15pm On Nov 21, 2022
I dislike the way some that claim they are Nigerians and who are abroad or have access to information exploit the ignorance or inexposure of the Nigeria masses to somehow negatively impact them, using lies and distortions. Why these individuals hate the Nigeria masses to this extraordinary extent is significantly beyond me.

Look, if you are Nigerian, take heart, Nigeria is a great place. You are kind, loving and happy people. You are also smart people with customs and ways that are largely lost by blacks and other Africans. For this reason you Nigerians are custodians of the excellence lost by the World Black Family. Nigerians need to be strong for us blacks.

Take note and always keep in mind that there is nothing negative posted by the people abroad about Nigeria that does not happen elsewhere and actually often harpen worst. In addition there are many negative abroad that does not occur in Nigeria or happens to a minor extent. Understand that some are trying to brainwash you with selective info in the hope of sparking selffullfilling events.

Some Frequently used Sucide locations Abroad:

Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge, Nanjing, China – more than 2,000 suicides from 1968 to 2006

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, California, United States – more than 1,600 known suicides. The number is believed to be higher because of people whose bodies were never found.

Prince Edward Viaduct, Toronto, Ontario, Canada – 492 suicides before the Luminous Veil, a barrier of 9,000 steel rods, was constructed in 2003.

Aokigahara forest, Mount Fuji, Japan – as many as 105 suicides a year,though the number may be higher.

The Gap, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia – a large sea cliff with roughly 50 suicides a year

Ponte apartment building, Johannesburg
Van Stadens Bridge, Eastern Cape, South Africa – 88 suicides since construction in 1971

UK

Beachy Head deaths between 1965 and 1989 and concluded that of the 250 deaths during that period, 236.

Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol, England, United Kingdom – more than 500 suicides since opening in 1864. Suicide barriers were installed in 1998, which halved the suicide rate over the years following.

Daily Mirror UK

I've picked up 250 bodies from the bottom of Beachy Head.. but nothing prepared me for tragic little Sam
A volunteer coastguard on his work at Britain's most notorious suicide spot

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ive-picked-up-250-bodies-401824

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Eriokanmi: 3:19pm On Nov 21, 2022
Christistruth00:

Mermaids are Evil Spirits
I think you are right. God created them all and placed them in their positions. Na we man dey look for wetin now lost by encroaching on their territories. There was a day we had a security meeting in our estate. The night guard came and said he was no more interested in the job cos the salary was too small, compared to the risk involved. We all agreed to increase his pay. He now said, at times in the night, he used to see spirits walk around, that there was a night he saw one from afar, that he had to give way for it to pass because he had no business with it.

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Scarletjr(m): 3:32pm On Nov 21, 2022
Instead of those obas should take note na so so woman dem dey married

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Peridotushers18: 3:45pm On Nov 21, 2022
Even me might commit suicide before Friday have been depressed for the past 2 weeks is really frustrating may the lord bless my soul
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by JAGS001(m): 3:46pm On Nov 21, 2022
specialmati:
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed if you are planning to vote for APC come 2023 may that lagoon be your portion evil souls that want good soul to suffer
amen including all your families irrespective of who dey voted for grin
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by occfx: 3:49pm On Nov 21, 2022
ronalko:
Too much stress in Lagos. Other states should open up for businesses to thrive abeg. This Lagos na scam. There's no fresh air in Lagos.

The last place I will want to live is Lagos. I was there for 10yrs... It's overhyped. Oxygen is low na why white people run to VI. A good president will make other states interesting to do business. Peter will open the sea ports, float $$$, remove import restrictions, build rails and good road networks. Lagos will automatically decongest. If I can clear my goods in calabar or PH why should I go to Lagos from the east. If I can travel from sokoto to Lagos by rail cheaply within 3hrs, why should I leave in Lagos even if I am working in lagos. I can go and come back to sokoto daily.

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by LagosIsForIgbos: 3:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
kettykin:
APC had turned Nigeria into an economic black hole and cesspool, the lagoon the ọbá of Lagos vowed to drown Igbos has become the drowning pool of the wicked Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 21, 2022
Eriokanmi:
I think you are right. God created them all and placed them in their positions. Na we man dey look for wetin now lost by encroaching on their territories. There was a day we had a security meeting in our estate. The night guard came and said he was no more interested in the job cos the salary was too small, compared to the risk involved. We all agreed to increase his pay. He now said, at times in the night, he used to see spirits walk around, that there was a night he saw one from afar, that he had to give way for it to pass because he had no business with it.

About Mermaids

So saying, he began to show me some of the curiosities of the laboratory,
which contained many strange things.

Of some of those I had read in books on alchemy; others were entirely new to me. At last we came to a closed shrine, and my curiosity led me to ask what it contained.

"Oh!" answered the monk, "this shrine contains some powders for fumigations, by the aid of which a man may see the Elemental Spirits of
Nature."

"Indeed!" I exclaimed. "Oh, how I should like to see these lovely spirits! I have read a great deal about them in the books of Paracelsus; but I never
had an opportunity of seeing them."

"They are not all of them lovely," said the monk.

"The Elementals of earth have human forms.
They are small, but they have the power to elongate their bodies. These gnomes and pigmies are usually ill-humoured and cross; and it is just as well to leave them alone, although sometimes they become very good friends of man, and may even show him hidden treasures and mines.

The Elementals of air, the sylvans, are of a more agreeable nature; still we cannot rely upon their friendship.

The salamanders, living in the element of fire, are ugly customers, and it is better to have nothing to do with them.

But the nymphs and undines(water spirit) are lovely creatures, and they often associate with man."

"I wish I could see those beautiful water-sprites," I said; "but I am inclined to believe that they belong to the realm of the fable.

For many years, accounts given by seafaring men spoke of mermen and mermaids, which they insisted on having seen at a distance.

They said that those people were like human
beings, of whom the upper part resembled a man or a woman, while the lower part of their body was a fish.

They told great stories about their beauty, their waving hair, and how finely they could sing; and they called them sirens, because it was said they could sing so well that men who heard their voices would become oblivious of everything else but their songs.

At last, such a siren was caught; and it proved to be nothing else than a curious fish of the species called Halicore catacca, which at a distance may be mistaken for a man, on account of its colour, and which barks somewhat like a dog.

Perhaps those undines and nymphs are also nothing but fishes."

"This is a most erroneous opinion, my dear sir," answered the monk. "The halicore is a fish; but the nymphs and undines are Elemental spirits of
nature, living in the element of water, being, under ordinary circumstances, invisible to man, and not being able therefore to be caught in this manner.

'They are almost like human beings, but far more ethereal and beautiful; and under certain circumstances they may be seen by man.

They may even attain a permanent material form and remain on land; and a case is even known in
which a certain Count Stauffenberg married such a nymph on account of her beauty and lived with her for more than a year, until some stupid theologian frightened him by telling him that his wife was a devil.

The count at that time had fallen in love with some good-looking peasant-girl, and so the
interference of the preacher was welcome, and he took this as a pretext to drive his true wife away.

But she revenged herself; and on the third day after his second marriage the count was found dead in his bed. These nymphs are very beautiful. They are strong in love, and are constant; but they are also said to be very jealous."

The more the monk spoke about the water-nymphs, the stronger grew my desire to see them. I asked him to put me in communication with those beautiful spirits; but he made all sorts of excuses, which, however, only served still more strongly to excite my curiosity.

"We are living here in this sinful world, and ought not to meddle with the inhabitants of another.
We are all sinners and liable to succumb to
temptations.

These water-nymphs are continually seeking to be united with men, and they have good reason for it, because they have no immortal souls.

Becoming united with man they form a link with his soul, and thus partake of his immortality."

"Why, then," I exclaimed, "do you hesitate to conjure these beings? I would only be too happy to convey the gift of immortality to one of these beautiful spirits.

Moreover, I would consider this as an act of charity and duty, and if such a nymph should insist upon marrying me, I can see no reason why I should object if she were amiable.

Besides, it would be quite an extraordinary thing to have a water-nymph for a wife."

"They are not only very amiable," said the monk, "but they are also very obedient to their husbands.

Such a water-nymph has no will of her own; she
regards her husband as her saviour and god, never contradicts or scolds him, but is always ready to obey his commands, fulfil his wishes, and gratify his desires.

She is very modest in her demands, needs no luxuries, and requires nothing except occasionally a short excursion to the seashore, which will cause you no expense whatever, because she has her own method of travelling."

I could restrain myself no longer, and earnestly begged the monk to make a fumigation with the mysterious powder.

At last, he consented.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by LagosIsForIgbos: 3:54pm On Nov 21, 2022
meobizy:
Life is not easy. Like any video game, those who can’t cope will check out. Maybe the next life offers hope. At worst, na eternal sleep.

Imagine throughout your life you have performed menial labour to survive every day. One fateful afternoon, you collapse at work then wake up in the hospital. The doctors have bad news; you are dying from stage three cancer. Is it not better to rage quit than see yourself suffer before the inevitable?

Be like say you get spare life. Gimme one Na....
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by meobizy(f): 3:55pm On Nov 21, 2022
LagosIsForIgbos:

Be like say you get spare life. Gimme one Na....
Lol.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by seborrhic: 3:59pm On Nov 21, 2022
nigerians like throwing shady statistics up and down.Statistics with no factual basis.Throughout this year,i doubt if there has been more than 10 attempted or confirmed suicide attempts at the lagoon.So on what basis are they getting their countless numbers?Same way during election,a nigerian and even joournalist will see a long queue in a polling station and conclude turnout was “massive”
At the end when the votes are tallied you realise there was just a 30% voter turnout

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do I Get Fat? / PLEASE HELP !!!, Yellow Fluids Comes Out Of My Nose When Ever I Bend Deep.(pics) / Man Dies After Overdosing On Tramadol, Weed In Agege

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.