Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide (23936 Views)

Soldiers Rescue Woman From Committing Suicide In Lagos Lagoon / Man Stopped From Committing Suicide By Jumping Into Lagos Lagoon (Photos, Video) / "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by LagosIsForIgbos: 4:00pm On Nov 21, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

Don't politicize the issue.

People have been committing suicide long before the economic issue.

Recently, a boy committed suicide because a girl dumped him. I guess it was also APC that caused the dumping.

There was the guy who killed himself some years back. It was said that it was not his first time of attempting suicide.

If we continue to underrate depression by making silly jokes, it will only get worse.

In developed countries, hotlines are being created to manage suicidal thoughts. In Nigeria, we are busy politicizing.

The hotlines are there, but lack of awareness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by LagosIsForIgbos: 4:02pm On Nov 21, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

That is because the world has become a global village.

There are mobile phones, internet, decoders. So, all these things go viral easily unlike before.

The world is changing. It is not Nigeria alone.

Centuries ago, it was said that you could put your goods in the market without staying there and no one will steal it. People will take what they want to buy and leave the money on the table of the seller. The seller will return and find his money right there untouched.

Can you try it in today's world where greed has risen and many people are desperate to ride big cars and live in mansions.

GREED. Apt!
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by LagosIsForIgbos: 4:04pm On Nov 21, 2022
Christistruth00:

Thank God you are not from Lagos

You don’t understand the Significance of his Throne and it’s heritage

Not everyone likes King Charles but they Understand the Significance Of the

Throne of England

The Throne Of Lagos is the Same, It represents the Kingdom Of Lagos

Past Present and Future

The Oba of Lagos represents Centuries Of Lagos History and Heritage

If you and thousands revere the seat of the Oba, while will he make that comment? Have you heard the Oba of Benin saying such?

Respect is reciprocal.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by LagosIsForIgbos: 4:05pm On Nov 21, 2022
Christistruth00:

Mermaids are Evil Spirits
Not all
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Alpharey: 4:06pm On Nov 21, 2022
kettykin:
APC had turned Nigeria into an economic black hole and cesspool, the lagoon the ọbá of Lagos vowed to drown Igbos has become the drowning pool of Nigeria

Not the drowning pool of Nigeria, but the drowning pool of those people that their names appeared on the article. The Oba should be guided on his utterances.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by PrinceOfLagos: 4:10pm On Nov 21, 2022
Hmm
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Halo22: 4:10pm On Nov 21, 2022
In spite of the harsh economic situation in the country, we should not write off the suggestion by that traditionalist about appeasing the spirit. Unfortunately, the Oba of Lagos does not take cognizance of his duty as the chief custodian of tradition and custom in the land. He lives his life as if he is in the western world.

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by premierlead: 4:18pm On Nov 21, 2022
Righteousness2:
Let nobody or Spirit deceive or confuse you. Suicide is not an Escape route.

Suicide is not rest.

Suicide is an evil wicked Spirit.
Suicide is Murder.
Suicide is straight to Destruction.
Suicide is Straight to Hell Fire.
You Have no right to take your life.

No matter your Matter, Encourage yourself in GOD. Look up to GOD. Seek for GOD.
He Alone is the perfect one to give you rest.

Who told you suicide ain't for the braves?
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by sonnie10: 4:18pm On Nov 21, 2022
Years ago, the Oba of Lagos stated that he would drown the Igbos in Lagoon if they didn’t vote his preferred candidate . Ever since he made that promise to Lagoon, the spirits have been waiting to be appeased.
People took it lightly, made jokes and shamed the Igbos. Now, it’s affecting all others and no one remembers the origin of the curse.
There’s a solution. A public apology to the Igbos from the Oba is the only remedy. It is spiritual. Even the Bible says the power of life and death is in the tongue.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by sonnie10: 4:22pm On Nov 21, 2022
Halo22:
In spite of the harsh economic situation in the country, we should not write off the suggestion by that traditionalist about appeasing the spirit. Unfortunately, the Oba of Lagos does not take cognizance of his duty as the chief custodian of tradition and custom in the land. He lives his life as if he is in the western world.

Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you. It is not by accident that we are pointing at that direction and at the same time.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by caracas: 4:36pm On Nov 21, 2022
kettykin:
APC had turned Nigeria into an economic black hole and cesspool, the lagoon the ọbá of Lagos vowed to drown Igbos has become the drowning pool of Nigeria
Drowning pool of the Afonjas you meant to say
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Jakumo(m): 4:40pm On Nov 21, 2022
Yankee101:
Most bridges like that here have high wire mesh protective guards

Actually many bridges in the USA offer no protection from a fall for any person who climbs over the guard rail and takes that jump.

San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge was for decades a notorious destination for people hellbent on suicide. After years of lobbying the City of San Francisco EVENTUALLY began in 2018 to install safety nets along the entire length of the bridge with a projected 2023 completion date, so that jumpers are finally prevented from falling to their deaths at that iconic bridge.

In the first picture pedestrians on the Golden Gate Bridge try to dissuade a young black man who has already climbed over the railings, from jumping to his death hundreds of feet below into the roiling shark-infested waters of the San Francisco Bay. This picture was taken BEFORE the 2018 installation of suicide prevention nets commenced, with the project slated for completion by 2023. Thirty people per year die jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.

The second picture taken on the same Golden Gate Bridge dates back to the year 2000 when schizophrenic 19-year-old Kevin Hines decided to kill himself by taking that 220-foot plunge. Miraculously his application to die was rejected by both Papa God and Charles Darwin. The man lived to describe his experience. This photograph was probably taken by a police helicopter since in 2000 drone technology was only just kicking off.

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by ObalendeCMS: 4:43pm On Nov 21, 2022
Ayo13945:

About Mermaids

So saying, he began to show me some of the curiosities of the laboratory,
which contained many strange things.

Of some of those I had read in books on alchemy; others were entirely new to me. At last we came to a closed shrine, and my curiosity led me to ask what it contained.

"Oh!" answered the monk, "this shrine contains some powders for fumigations, by the aid of which a man may see the Elemental Spirits of
Nature."

"Indeed!" I exclaimed. "Oh, how I should like to see these lovely spirits! I have read a great deal about them in the books of Paracelsus; but I never
had an opportunity of seeing them."

"They are not all of them lovely," said the monk.

"The Elementals of earth have human forms.
They are small, but they have the power to elongate their bodies. These gnomes and pigmies are usually ill-humoured and cross; and it is just as well to leave them alone, although sometimes they become very good friends of man, and may even show him hidden treasures and mines.

The Elementals of air, the sylvans, are of a more agreeable nature; still we cannot rely upon their friendship.

The salamanders, living in the element of fire, are ugly customers, and it is better to have nothing to do with them.

But the nymphs and undines(water spirit) are lovely creatures, and they often associate with man."

"I wish I could see those beautiful water-sprites," I said; "but I am inclined to believe that they belong to the realm of the fable.

For many years, accounts given by seafaring men spoke of mermen and mermaids, which they insisted on having seen at a distance.

They said that those people were like human
beings, of whom the upper part resembled a man or a woman, while the lower part of their body was a fish.

They told great stories about their beauty, their waving hair, and how finely they could sing; and they called them sirens, because it was said they could sing so well that men who heard their voices would become oblivious of everything else but their songs.

At last, such a siren was caught; and it proved to be nothing else than a curious fish of the species called Halicore catacca, which at a distance may be mistaken for a man, on account of its colour, and which barks somewhat like a dog.

Perhaps those undines and nymphs are also nothing but fishes."

"This is a most erroneous opinion, my dear sir," answered the monk. "The halicore is a fish; but the nymphs and undines are Elemental spirits of
nature, living in the element of water, being, under ordinary circumstances, invisible to man, and not being able therefore to be caught in this manner.

'They are almost like human beings, but far more ethereal and beautiful; and under certain circumstances they may be seen by man.

They may even attain a permanent material form and remain on land; and a case is even known in
which a certain Count Stauffenberg married such a nymph on account of her beauty and lived with her for more than a year, until some stupid theologian frightened him by telling him that his wife was a devil.

The count at that time had fallen in love with some good-looking peasant-girl, and so the
interference of the preacher was welcome, and he took this as a pretext to drive his true wife away.

But she revenged herself; and on the third day after his second marriage the count was found dead in his bed. These nymphs are very beautiful. They are strong in love, and are constant; but they are also said to be very jealous."

The more the monk spoke about the water-nymphs, the stronger grew my desire to see them. I asked him to put me in communication with those beautiful spirits; but he made all sorts of excuses, which, however, only served still more strongly to excite my curiosity.

"We are living here in this sinful world, and ought not to meddle with the inhabitants of another.
We are all sinners and liable to succumb to
temptations.

These water-nymphs are continually seeking to be united with men, and they have good reason for it, because they have no immortal souls.

Becoming united with man they form a link with his soul, and thus partake of his immortality."

"Why, then," I exclaimed, "do you hesitate to conjure these beings? I would only be too happy to convey the gift of immortality to one of these beautiful spirits.

Moreover, I would consider this as an act of charity and duty, and if such a nymph should insist upon marrying me, I can see no reason why I should object if she were amiable.

Besides, it would be quite an extraordinary thing to have a water-nymph for a wife."

"They are not only very amiable," said the monk, "but they are also very obedient to their husbands.

Such a water-nymph has no will of her own; she
regards her husband as her saviour and god, never contradicts or scolds him, but is always ready to obey his commands, fulfil his wishes, and gratify his desires.

She is very modest in her demands, needs no luxuries, and requires nothing except occasionally a short excursion to the seashore, which will cause you no expense whatever, because she has her own method of travelling."

I could restrain myself no longer, and earnestly begged the monk to make a fumigation with the mysterious powder.

At last, he consented.

Interesting read! Please what is the title of the book that this your quote was excerpted from?

Thanks.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by specialmati(m): 4:46pm On Nov 21, 2022
JAGS001:
amen including all your families irrespective of who dey voted for grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin i know your families wont disappoint it will definitely be their portion.all you wick souls need wipe out lets see if this country will get better
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by JAGS001(m): 4:56pm On Nov 21, 2022
specialmati:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin i know your families wont disappoint it will definitely be their portion.all you wick souls need wipe out lets see if this country will get better
your Apghaneastan is currently getting wiped out why are you not there typing this nonsense from Lagos your papa didn't work for, na una blothers they chop una heads off biafla till death now obi for president grin grin talking with Obidient like you is waste of energy go get home training I'm sure Tinubu is healthier than your father grin because your papa no get money stewpid fella
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by smileyoo: 4:56pm On Nov 21, 2022
APC govt has successfully crested hardship as the trademark of nigerians, and as the ruling party, it has turned out to be a curse to nigerians, institutionalizing all the wrong things in Nigeria.
it's not easy for a human being to decide to end, his or her life , if not because of chronic hardship. if nigerians hate themselves and everything good in life, they can continue to vote for APC to continue to misrule their lives.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Christistruth00: 4:59pm On Nov 21, 2022
LagosIsForIgbos:

Not all

Eriokanmi:
I think you are right. God created them all and placed them in their positions. Na we man dey look for wetin now lost by encroaching on their territories. There was a day we had a security meeting in our estate. The night guard came and said he was no more interested in the job cos the salary was too small, compared to the risk involved. We all agreed to increase his pay. He now said, at times in the night, he used to see spirits walk around, that there was a night he saw one from afar, that he had to give way for it to pass because he had no business with it.

Pata Pata

Mermaids are evil Spirits

God Made Man in his own Image and not in the image of a fish or half a fish

Victor Uwaifo also claimed it was a mermaid that gave him his power as a Musician he even sang about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6wsGVUdwgk
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Christistruth00: 5:02pm On Nov 21, 2022
LagosIsForIgbos:

If you and thousands revere the seat of the Oba, while will he make that comment? Have you heard the Oba of Benin saying such?

Respect is reciprocal.

If you disrespect the Throne Of Lagos

Nobody will need to even lift a finger to fight or even Challenge you

You yourself will discover that God himself fights the enemies of Lagos in Lagos

Lagos is that blessed
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Eriokanmi: 5:09pm On Nov 21, 2022
Christistruth00:

Pata Pata

Mermaids are evil Spirits

God Made Man in his own Image and not in the image of a fish or half a fish
Read Isiah 45:7.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by specialmati(m): 5:12pm On Nov 21, 2022
JAGS001:
your Apghaneastan is currently getting wiped out why are you not there typing this nonsense from Lagos your papa didn't work for, na una blothers they chop una heads off biafla till death now obi for president grin grin talking with Obidient like you is waste of energy go get home training I'm sure Tinubu is healthier than your father grin because your papa no get money stewpid fella
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin all you hopeless touts and agberos that tinubu littered all lagos bustop,that doesnt have parents or family, planning to vote APC after this regime will be wipe before 2023 so that nigerians will have peace
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by chuk65276: 5:22pm On Nov 21, 2022
Na frustration cause amNo capNa frustration cause amNo cap...
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 21, 2022
JooEeL:
When we talk of Yoruba nation, Biafra, there are some of them online who mock us.

Hehehe, these are complete fools! They will yab us, insult us... and defend their politicians who have made their lives a living hell.

Maybe some of them in 2020 were there saying "Oh-oh, stop this #EndSARS protest. I want to go to my shop, stop blocking the roads. Everybody should go to their state etc." See some of them are now commiting suicide. Some of them were online saying: "Nobody died in toll gate". "Soldiers should do another python dance in the east". "Igboho don run, hin jazz no work". "Buratai na true odogwu". "Herdsmen invasion is a scam, islamization is a scam, na una dey kill and kidnap unasef". If these are the group of people commiting suicide, I wouldn't give a hoot.

Are you all tired of defending your oppressors? Let me tell some of una something. If you let Nigeria continue beyond 2023, some of you will eat sand and grass as balanced diet. If you like, argue.
its funny really. They don't know that they are slaves. What is the meaning of nigeria? nothing.

1 Like

Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Christistruth00: 5:39pm On Nov 21, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Read Isiah 45:7.

I thought you were going to quote this

Ezekiel 29:

1In the tenth year, in the tenth month on the twelfth day, the word of the Lord came to me: 2“Son of man, set your face against Pharaoh king of Egypt and prophesy against him and against all Egypt. 3Speak to him and say: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says:

“ ‘I am against you, Pharaoh king of Egypt,
you great monster lying among your streams.
You say, “The Nile belongs to me;
I made it for myself.”
4But I will put hooks in your jaws
and make the fish of your streams stick to your scales.
I will pull you out from among your streams,
with all the fish sticking to your scales.
5I will leave you in the desert,
you and all the fish of your streams.

God describes pharaoh as a River Monster
Pharaoh and Egypt depended on Powers and Principalities associated with Rivers and God Almighty
Passed Judgement on them all

The Ancient Egyptians actually used to Worship the Nile and many of their evil Occult practices were associated with it
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Eriokanmi: 5:46pm On Nov 21, 2022
Christistruth00:

I thought you were going to quote this

Ezekiel 29:

1In the tenth year, in the tenth month on the twelfth day, the word of the Lord came to me: 2“Son of man, set your face against Pharaoh king of Egypt and prophesy against him and against all Egypt. 3Speak to him and say: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says:

“ ‘I am against you, Pharaoh king of Egypt,
you great monster lying among your streams.
You say, “The Nile belongs to me;
I made it for myself.”
4But I will put hooks in your jaws
and make the fish of your streams stick to your scales.
I will pull you out from among your streams,
with all the fish sticking to your scales.
5I will leave you in the desert,
you and all the fish of your streams.

God describes pharaoh as a River Monster
Pharaoh and Egypt depended on Powers and Principalities associated with Rivers and God Almighty
Passed Judgement on them all

The Ancient Egyptians actually used to Worship the Nile and many of their evil Occult practices were associated with it
Despite all the creation and creatures, God is above all and must be elevated above all that was created by Him. God created everything including the river and river goddess people worship instead of worshiping the one who created them all.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Christistruth00: 5:52pm On Nov 21, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Despite all the creation and creatures, God is above all and must be elevated above all that was created by Him. God created everything including the river and river goddess people worship instead of worshiping the one who created them all.

Exodus 12
12“On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and. I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt I am the Lord 13The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.

https://biblehub.com/exodus/12-12.htm
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Cde1: 6:14pm On Nov 21, 2022
Killer government
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by AfonjaConehead: 6:35pm On Nov 21, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
The APC government has driven many Nigerians to suicide and death

It was difficult to read or hear that Nigerians killed themselves or jump inside lagoon in the past till APC came to power

We must vote them out

Must!
That is why it beats my imagination to still see "human beings" still supporting such evil party
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Tinyemeka(m): 6:57pm On Nov 21, 2022
kettykin:

That Oba of Lagos must also be blamed for what is happening.

His divisive and vitriolic comment publicized the lagoon in an unpopular manner which further made it to be an attractive spot for people suffering suicidal thoughts.

It is quite unfortunate that the tribe of people worst hit in the aftermath of his insensitive remark are those closest to him.
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by Tinyemeka(m): 7:07pm On Nov 21, 2022
ObalendeCMS:

Interesting read! Please what is the title of the book that this your quote was excerpted from?

Thanks.

https://www.sacred-texts.com/sro/wta/wta00.htm
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by fanzine(f): 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2022
Ever since that oba of Lagos said igbos should go and jump into the lagoon. Reverse has been the case. He should appease whatsoever that is aggreived by his statement. There is a spiritual undertone to it. May God heal the land
Re: Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide by JAGS001(m): 8:34pm On Nov 21, 2022
specialmati:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin all you hopeless touts and agberos that tinubu littered all lagos bustop,that doesnt have parents or family, planning to vote APC after this regime will be wipe before 2023 so that nigerians will have peace
I'm pretty sure even in your papa house y'all are agberos, very poor and useless, look one among many of the agbero Tinubu trained MC oluomo he's a multimillionaire and all his children studied abroad and you that you are claiming not to be agbero your papa didn't go school abroad talk more of sending you there grin grin
Even MC oluomo has a degree in business admin abroad and your yeye here on nairaland cursing people like say na somebody swear for you to be poor grin
I used to say politics isn't do or die just use your sense even if obi meet Atiku or Tinubu today he will bow for them to show some respect just like the way Atiku and Tinubu meets shake and gist in the airport's
As e dey pain dem e dey sweet us grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Dies After Overdosing On Tramadol, Weed In Agege / How Do I Get Fat? / New Form Of HIV Turns Into AIDS Before Victims Realise They Are Infected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.