Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,681 members, 7,827,517 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves (26150 Views)

What Scam Has Become So Normalized That People Don't Even Notice It? � / What's The Most Painful Loss You Have Had This Year 2020? / What Is The Most Painful/hurtful Thing Your Boss Has Ever Said To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by emonis88: 5:21pm On Nov 23, 2022
It is not everyone that has the tenacity for business, being ur own boss makes ur stomach ur boss, n that one no dey hear explanation.

1 Like

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by cucumbar: 5:21pm On Nov 23, 2022
dazzlingd:
That salary can't make you wealthy is not entirely true

Depends on the salary, depends on the company or job.
Not working in access bank or mtn Nigeria oo

But some companies have very sweet packages, benefits and career growth that can be a very good way to raise wealth gradually.

As long as entrepreneurs are the wealthiest people on earth, only a very few make it.

This wealthy we are talking about sef, can someone describe it in specific terms? Because I know there are jobs that can make you wealthy.
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Bmaster(m): 5:23pm On Nov 23, 2022
Does that includes people who works and eats from the crumbs that fells from thief nubu's table !?
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by OvertheTop(m): 5:24pm On Nov 23, 2022
cucumbar:

This wealthy we are talking about sef, can someone describe it in specific terms? Because I know there are jobs that can make you wealthy.

N 100Million Upwards + other investments
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by dazzlingd(m): 5:26pm On Nov 23, 2022
cucumbar:

Plenty jobs

Job Is different from work

When someone say I have a job...talking of likes of Google, Microsoft, Diageo, GE, McKinsey, J P Morgan and several others

1 Like

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by goodnewscliff(m): 5:26pm On Nov 23, 2022
not working for anyone is good.starting your own business is better.when u get staffs employed and place them on salary, then you would really realize only 30% actually does their job effectively but EVERYONE MUST BE PAID AT THE END OF THE MONTH.
open your own business and employ staffs and see for yourself.
IF YOU WERE STUPID WHILE WORKING FOR PEOPLE, GIVE UNNECESSARY EXCUSES AND UNHEALTHY ATTITUDE for your laziness and ineffectiveness,inefficiency you would be the same when u open your business.
thats y we have alot of companies folding up after 2 years of operation.
every one wants to be a boss which is ok but do u really know the responsibility,financial discipline that comes with it??

2 Likes

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by ibechris(m): 5:27pm On Nov 23, 2022
OvertheTop:

Are You wealthier than a footballer that earns Salary?
Just Asking....

My problem with u guys is always comparing our minimum wage with foreign minimum wage in Nigeria.

Stop comparing our situation with foreign matters. Most of those guys still spend theirs in those countries than they do here.
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by LagosIsForIgbos: 5:27pm On Nov 23, 2022
Vipro:
Please, is Business Education a good course to study? Is it restricted to only teaching

Yes, take it serious. Then go for financial courses to boost you up
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by etrange: 5:29pm On Nov 23, 2022
Almost everything you typed up there is more opinionated than factual. People should do whatever makes then happy or fulfilled.
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Ijb11: 5:30pm On Nov 23, 2022
Hmmm
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by ravensckar(m): 5:40pm On Nov 23, 2022
Whoever wrote that crap up there probably graduated from a 'Night School'. Firstly, he didn't hide his ignorance of the fact that there's a difference between having a job and having a career. Secondly, he was so myopic to have assumed that everyone has to set up a business with the purpose of becoming wealthy. So, as a lawyer, my whole life & career should be motivated by money and not justice or defending people's rights. Now I know why our society has become what it is.

You're posting all these for job seekers (especially in a country where it's hard to get jobs). Like what in the world is the OP trying to achieve? Financial literacy, business education or just posting for fun? cheesy cheesy

Marcus Aurelius once said; 'there are no absolute truths or falsehoods, everything depends on perspective'. I've said it countless times and I'm reiterating it, not every business is worth comparing with salary work. Just as not all salary work is lucrative.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by cucumbar: 5:46pm On Nov 23, 2022
OvertheTop:

N 100Million Upwards + other investments
that’s by your standard, I guess.
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by AfahaAbia(m): 5:50pm On Nov 23, 2022
I have never gotten any job via networking.
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by TWoods(m): 5:55pm On Nov 23, 2022
swagguElite:
Facts, yet staying at home doesn't expose you.
No work comes easy. After the first month of working in a new place, my manager told me that; the top boss was asking why should they keep paying me salary?

I wasn't surprised. I replied her; "I understood where she was coming from". The next day I started hearing rumors of me getting fired soon. I went to meet the oldest worker and told him what I heard, he told me what I was doing wrong. That he has noticed me too. That im not always around in the office. I told I can't sit down in the office and be waiting for command. It leads to sitting back pains & unnecessary gossips that will come back to hurt me and I was happily doing small errands outside to get small change for my pocket.

You're running side businesses with the time someone else is paying for... the problem here is you.

1 Like

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by brownbib(m): 5:59pm On Nov 23, 2022
Very true bro. Only employees can relate to this thread!
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by ravensckar(m): 6:03pm On Nov 23, 2022
goodnewscliff:
not working for anyone is good.starting your own business is better.when u get staffs employed and place them on salary, then you would really realize only 30% actually does their job effectively but EVERYONE MUST BE PAID AT THE END OF THE MONTH.
open your own business and employ staffs and see for yourself.
IF YOU WERE STUPID WHILE WORKING FOR PEOPLE, GIVE UNNECESSARY EXCUSES AND UNHEALTHY ATTITUDE for your laziness and ineffectiveness,inefficiency you would be the same when u open your business.
thats y we have alot of companies folding up after 2 years of operation.
every one wants to be a boss which is ok but do u really know the responsibility,financial discipline that comes with it??
Bros, you bottles of chilled Orijin for you. Most people think owning a business is child's play, when the running cost and cost of production hit them, their brain go reset. Every time business business business. I laugh in Mandarin language. cheesy cheesy

The mumu even said you can't be rich working for someone. Na him be sey most of those POS guys and girls for get money pass people wey dey do white collar jobs niyen o. Afterall, they are running their own business. cheesy cheesy

I'll use my uncle as an example, bros owned and ran his business for 17 years, it was always from one debt to another. Whenever it's month end and he remembered it's time to pay his staff, bros go begin develop hbp. Lad las, he dusted his certificate and used all his connections to apply to a big firm. Just after a year, bros levels don change. Oya, come judge that case. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by TWoods(m): 6:05pm On Nov 23, 2022
These "truths" are not all true...

1. A salary won't make you wealthy - doctors, financial advisors, senior engineers and mid- to senior-level managers in the US can get rich easily on a salary.
2. Your boss doesn't care about your career growth (debatable) - Depends. Some bosses do.
3. A business pays you the least amount possible to maximize profit - Not always true. That depends on how competitive the market is for your skills. If your skills are competitive, you have leverage to demand higher pay in order for them to retain your services.
4. Company loyalty is a dumb decision–changing jobs pays more - Not always true. Some companies offer benefits like pensions and gratuity that is directly tied to how long you stayed with the company.
5. People go to jobs (mostly) cause they don't know what else to do - Not always true.
6. Most people have no idea what their passion is, so they lie - Tough to argue this applies to "most people"
7. Hours worked has nothing to do with value created - True.
8. Most of the stuff you buy keeps you tied to a job - No idea what this means.
9. Working long hours leads to burnout - True. Take your vacations!
10. Job titles are meaningless. They're just ego. - Not always. Many job titles are specifically tied to compensation.
11. You're not entitled to a raise, promotion ... or anything - False. You are entitled to a raise and promotion. Work hard and ask for it.
12. Those who get the best jobs are the ones that network the best - Hard to debate the value of networking.

5 Likes

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Najdorf: 6:14pm On Nov 23, 2022
Blueace247:

1. A salary won't make you wealthy
Tell that to people working at Jane Street grin
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Thegoodone13(m): 6:21pm On Nov 23, 2022
Use your salary as a seed to grow business and don't depends on salary alone. Even if you are collecting 1m per month, you need to invest it and get more money. To be come rich, you need to have five sources of income.

1 Like

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by OvertheTop(m): 6:22pm On Nov 23, 2022
ibechris:

My problem with u guys is always comparing our minimum wage with foreign minimum wage in Nigeria.

Stop comparing our situation with foreign matters. Most of those guys still spend theirs in those countries than they do here.

Bros, Footballer Earn Salary in Nigerian too Naa.

what about People that Earn N1.5 million per Month?
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Thegoodone13(m): 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2022
TWoods:
These "truths" are not all true...

1. A salary won't make you wealthy - doctors, financial advisors, senior engineers and mid- to senior-level managers in the US can get rich easily on a salary.
2. Your boss doesn't care about your career growth (debatable) - Depends. Some bosses do.
3. A business pays you the least amount possible to maximize profit - Not always true. That depends on how competitive the market is for your skills. If your skills are competitive, you have leverage to demand higher pay in order for them to retain your services.
4. Company loyalty is a dumb decision–changing jobs pays more - Not always true. Some companies offer benefits like pensions and gratuity that is directly tied to how long you stayed with the company.
5. People go to jobs (mostly) cause they don't know what else to do - Not always true.
6. Most people have no idea what their passion is, so they lie - Tough to argue this applies to "most people"
7. Hours worked has nothing to do with value created - True.
8. Most of the stuff you buy keeps you tied to a job - No idea what this means.
9. Working long hours leads to burnout - True. Take your vacations!
10. Job titles are meaningless. They're just ego. - Not always. Many job titles are specifically tied to compensation.
11. You're not entitled to a raise, promotion ... or anything - False. You are entitled to a raise and promotion. Work hard and ask for it.
12. Those who get the best jobs are the ones that network the best - Hard to debate the value of networking.
Use your salary as a seed to grow business and don't depends on salary alone. Even if you are collecting 1m per month, you need to invest it and get more money. To be come rich, you need to have five sources of income.

1 Like

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Nezzjnr: 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2022
Start a business and see whether wrinkles no go full your Face.

1 Like

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Nezzjnr: 6:26pm On Nov 23, 2022
Thegoodone13:
You people should relax please.

There are some people that are extremely rich with just one source of Income.
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Cancri: 6:31pm On Nov 23, 2022
VeryWickedGoat:
Yahoo boy don drop list
and client don quote am grin grin cheesy
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Nezzjnr: 6:35pm On Nov 23, 2022
AfahaAbia:
I have never gotten any job via networking.
Seriously??
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Biafranodogwu55: 6:45pm On Nov 23, 2022
Konjiboii:
Education is a SCAM!!
Just read what u just wrote again and cap it outta ur mouth then if u believe that what you wrote is meaningful then ur brain is meaningless
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by stanliwise(m): 6:47pm On Nov 23, 2022
Blueace247:

1. A salary won't make you wealthy
2. Your boss doesn't care about your career growth (debatable)
3. A business pays you the least amount possible to maximize profit
4. Company loyalty is a dumb decision–changing jobs pays more
5. People go to jobs (mostly) cause they don't know what else to do
6. Most people have no idea what their passion is, so they lie
7. Hours worked has nothing to do with value created
8. Most of the stuff you buy keeps you tied to a job
9. Working long hours leads to burnout
10. Job titles are meaningless. They're just ego.
11. You're not entitled to a raise, promotion ... or anything
12. Those who get the best jobs are the ones that network the best

The people we lie to the most in our career is ourselves.

Stop lying. Face the truth. Then change your life.

100 100 100
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Chijeep(m): 6:54pm On Nov 23, 2022
GiZcorp:

People are talking serious life changing experiences look at the nonsense that is in your head. You're a born fool Mister!
Go on and vote Tinubu, when your sufferness increases you'll even look for wages paying job you won't see.
Idiot
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by NeckingNgulping(m): 7:12pm On Nov 23, 2022
No.11 is bullsh*t.. Like why shouldn't I be entitled to a raise when I'm working my ass out to enrich the company?
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by LincolnOnyeabor: 7:23pm On Nov 23, 2022
swagguElite:
Facts, yet staying at home doesn't expose you.
No work comes easy. After the first month of working in a new place, my manager told me that; the top boss was asking why should they keep paying me salary?

I wasn't surprised. I replied her; "I understood where she was coming from". The next day I started hearing rumors of me getting fired soon. I went to meet the oldest worker and told him what I heard, he told me what I was doing wrong. That he has noticed me too. That im not always around in the office. I told I can't sit down in the office and be waiting for command. It leads to sitting back pains & unnecessary gossips that will come back to hurt me and I was happily doing small errands outside to get small change for my pocket.

So they increased pressure from top to hold me down. Every impromptu job was sent to my table. Instead of folding, I got an expensive airpod and kept receiving. I give dates for collection. They didn't care, they kept coming. They wanted a reaction, they received only dates to come back for collection. Everybody starting taking advantage, work wey no come oga, they go dey send am. No shaking. I kept tabs. I call you, this work is done. Send me your email for receipt & review.

Positive energy is variola, you would be bewildered with the times people look at you and wonder why you are looking bright and not sitting down and discussing how better other places treat their workers better.

Work i couldn't complete before expiration. I will call the Senior before he calls me and tell him his job is done. But my laptop is dead, as soon as I power it up I will send it to you. - "Thank you, I didn't expect you to do that quite fast". So they know. But you gave me unrealistic time range to see me fail. My laptop is not dead, I needed to buy time. Maybe a little 10hrs or more.

Give the image of seriousness, work smart, use reasonable lies to your advantage, and spend money on yourself. I have a friend earning more than me, this guy can't buy himself a pair of sneakers because he is always saving while looking unhappy and stressed up to work. I earn, I spend and save peanuts. Multiple peanuts every day rollover to something tangible at the end of the week talk less of month.

As a trenches nihgarr, you are not entitled to save. Rich men save, Expose yourself, don't be expendable, I don't engage in gossips but when you tag me I comment, laugh and don't give my opinions. Before you know, I don insert my airpod. I'm tired, I move out, goan take one cold predator or one trophy bottle and better swallow. I press my phone for an hour there.

If I'm sacked tomorrow, I can't feel bad coz while I was there. It never changed me. I did the same me, adjusted on my lassitude. Some people will earn, buy two donuts, trek 30mins before and after work to save and all and then think you can manage that for a week, one small malaria hit you. Your weak body escalate it to three weeks sickness. No company will accommodate that work ethics.

I work 8 - 5. I take my breaks, video chats, peppersoup - beer moments and laziness stretch seriously. I don't plan to work for anybody for long. I'm hitting business when I'm done gathering my capital from work.

This ought to be made into a Bible for Workers

Bless your soul for this sir

1 Like

Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by HNICEARTH: 7:36pm On Nov 23, 2022
Factos, except for No.1. Salaries get levels. Footballers dey earn oh!
Re: 12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves by Konjiboii: 7:51pm On Nov 23, 2022
Biafranodogwu55:
Just read what u just wrote again and cap it outta ur mouth then if u believe that what you wrote is meaningful then ur brain is meaningless

Education is scam my guy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ministry Of Foreign Affairs Academic Staff Recruitment 2017 (44 Positions) / What's The Fastest Job A 35 Year Old Graduate With No Experience Get? / My N-Power Testimony By An N-Powered Youth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.