Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,277 members, 7,836,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School (10231 Views)

Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate / The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools / Basic School News Headlines This Week : 27th August – 2nd September 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Lucifer4naija: 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2022
At least the debate of who Oduduwa is to yorubas (iyoba..as edos call you guys), and who Izoduwa is to Edo people will come up again. No more myths and legends of yoruba king and supreme leader who claim to come from Mecca, from the sky with a snail and sand. Every history should be taught with facts, evidences and references not all those formulated stories of myths and legends.

As long as the Edos are concerned, the ancestral home of Yoruba king (Oduduwa) is in Edo(Idu/Igodo) Kingdom....

You cant just send a prince from somewhere to come and be a king in a strange land whereby they have their own history and traditions, probably, oduduwa could have also sent one of his sons to go and rule ibo kingdom... grin

1 Like

Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Class01: 12:25pm On Nov 25, 2022
It was because of people like you that history was removed in the first place because you narrate history upside down!!!

Children will now know that Oba of Benin is a direct descendant of Oranmiyan who is one of the younger children of Oduduwa. That Owu is the First child and Ooni is the spiritual Head of all the Yoruba including all the descendants of Oduduwa.

While the Bini proletariat may not be Yoruba, its royalty is Yoruba. The heads of past Oba of Bini are buried in Ile Ife and the Itsekiris are Yoruba who migrated to their present homeland in Delta state.

The attempt to review history lule and created far more problems because it was an attempt to introduce lies into our history.[/quote]
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by BanyXchi: 12:28pm On Nov 25, 2022
That is very important, now we can remind the anti-yoruba miscreants of their history in Yorubaland
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by BanyXchi: 12:30pm On Nov 25, 2022
Christistruth00:

They will now Understand that Lagos is Yoruba Aworiland and not a “no mans Land”

and that the first Oba of Lagos was Awori from Isheri Olofin and not Bini

and that Oduduwa entered into Ile Ife riding a Horse and wearing Metal Armour

and he didn’t just fall from the sky

And that the Egun are descendants of Oduduwa through the Olupopo his son

and that it was Gowon that released Awolowo from Jail in Calabar and not Ojukwu

And that it was Ojukwu who rejected food Corridors to feed his starving People

and that Majority Of Itsekiri migrated from Ijebu,Ilaje, and Owo and are not Edo

and that Yoruba Balogun Alanamu was the Ruler Of Ilorin that the British fought and replaced
with the previously already defeated Emir

Many of us were turned into impromptu Historians
exactly bro.

2 Likes

Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by BanyXchi: 12:32pm On Nov 25, 2022
Lucifer4naija:
At least the debate of who Oduduwa is to yorubas (iyoba..as edos call you guys), and who Izoduwa is to Edo people will come up again. No more myths and legends of yoruba king and supreme leader who claim to come from Mecca, from the sky with a snail and sand. Every history should be taught with facts, evidences and references not all those formulated stories of myths and legends.

As long as the Edos are concerned, the ancestral home of Yoruba king (Oduduwa) is in Edo(Idu/Igodo) Kingdom....

You cant just send a prince from somewhere to come and be a king in a strange land whereby they have their own history and traditions, probably, oduduwa could have also sent one of his sons to go and rule ibo kingdom... grin
there's nothing like Izoduwa, those lies were created by the last Oba Erediuwa for political reasons.

1 Like

Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by NGArmyTerrorist: 12:33pm On Nov 25, 2022
Bring back history! So that the generation coming up will continue to curse this administration and their deeds.. Nobody should curse Abacha again, he did well; his loots are been used to offset bills incured by this dangerous administration, NPOWER, feeding children, etc. Bless Abacha for NgArmyareterrorists grin
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Ulunne777(f): 12:35pm On Nov 25, 2022
"A man who cannot tell where the rain started beating him cannot say when it stopped" Achebe...

History is our story to tell.
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Racoon(m): 12:35pm On Nov 25, 2022
Nice one! We will continue to teach the history and horrors of slavery and colonialism to our children but let's not teach it with hate or bitterness.
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by FireUpNow(m): 12:40pm On Nov 25, 2022
Those who removed history from our school curriculum made terrible mistakes. You can only lear from your past mistakes through history and if you don't know where you can from, how would you know where you are going? The re-introduction of history is a very good development
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2022
BigBashiru:
The British and other colonialists lobbied for history to be removed from our schools which was all part of an attempt to erase African history and to make us believe poor kids on CNN and BBC is our history....they replaced our history with a eurocentric history that glorifies imperialists...

"The western European is a savage in need of native american and African civilization " - unknown author

1.When the British left, we had history in our curriculum...well well. (They were the ones who even introduced it, and trained some of our earliest historians , people like Saburi Biobaku.)

2.The first time history was removed was in the 1970's...it was replaced with social studies which had some history. History was available as an elective in senior secondary school (there was also the History and nationalism in some universities at 100 level.)

3.The British had nothing to do with it. I doubt they even care about our education system.

Also when we left the old British 6524 system for the German influenced 6334 system in the late 1970's...them brits did not complain.
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Dshocker(m): 12:44pm On Nov 25, 2022
Its a welcomed development
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by joefelin2345: 12:51pm On Nov 25, 2022
sonature1:
Why was History removed from their curriculum and which adminstration approved it? This has remained a debate.

However, in my software engineering class, my professor would always tell us that History was the most useless course to study in the university.

If you want to know the reason, pay for me for that knowledge because I spent money to go to school grin
That your so called Prof was so stupid bc I am sure there is still...history of Software Engineering Development or does Software Engineering just fall from heaven?

1 Like

Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by JOemmy(m): 12:52pm On Nov 25, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
I remember doing History right from Primary One and it is still helpful to me till date. Whoever removed it did that generation that missed it a colossal injustice. I am happy it is coming back.

Children will now know that Oba of Benin is a direct descendant of Oranmiyan who is one of the younger children of Oduduwa. That Owu is the First child and Ooni is the spiritual Head of all the Yoruba including all the descendants of Oduduwa.

While the Bini proletariat may not be Yoruba, its royalty is Yoruba. The heads of past Oba of Bini are buried in Ile Ife and the Itsekiris are Yoruba who migrated to their present homeland in Delta state.

The attempt to review history lule and created far more problems because it was an attempt to introduce lies into our history.

We really hope this fulani regime won't distort and rewrite their own versions of nigeria's history that's just my own fears.
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Christistruth00: 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2022
JOemmy:

We really hope this fulani regime won't distort and rewrite their own versions of nigeria's history that's just my own fears.

Do you think everyone are elaborate Liars like Kanu

Anyone that teaches Lies to their Children as History will suffer badly for it

Why do you think it took Germany 2 World Wars to learn their Lesson instead of Just one?

It was because they didn’t learn or let the History Of the first War to be taught Properly

Instead they were taught Propaganda

It took the complete Destruction of Germany in the Second War for their brains to be correctly reset

to understand that Germany was not going to rule Europe, but it was Europe that would rule Germany
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Professor822714: 1:15pm On Nov 25, 2022
Let students know end sars and lekki massacre happened under buharis watch. Twitter was banned, kidnapping and terrorism plus banditry was normalized. ASUU strike went in while $$$ was dashed out to Islamic regime in Afghanistan and jeeps in Niger republic. And the list goes on and on
bestofnollywood:

https://applesbite.com/fg-flags-off-teacher-training-program-to-reintroduce-history-in-basic-school-curriculum/
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Christistruth00: 1:19pm On Nov 25, 2022
Professor822714:
Let students know end sars and lekki massacre happened under buharis watch. Twitter was banned, kidnapping and terrorism plus banditry was normalized. ASUU strike went in while $$$ was dashed out to Islamic regime in Afghanistan and jeeps in Niger republic. And the list goes on and on

Present only just 2 Obituaries from the Lekki Massacre if it is not a lie and a hoax

Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by phemmyfour: 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2022
Lucifer4naija:

Nothing will change. That was what was recorded as history
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by jojothaiv(m): 1:36pm On Nov 25, 2022
Umsworld:
[color=#990000]
[b]P.S:If you don't teach children their history(origin)somebody somewhere is gonna give them falsified and infectious versions
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by BigBashiru: 1:41pm On Nov 25, 2022
Kobonaire234:

1.When the British left, we had history in our curriculum...well well. (They were the ones who even introduced it, and trained some of our earliest historians , people like Saburi Biobaku.)

2.The first time history was removed was in the 1970's...it was replaced with social studies which had some history. History was available as an elective in senior secondary school (there was also the History and nationalism in some universities at 100 level.)

3.The British had nothing to do with it. I doubt they even care about our education system.

Also when we left the old British 6524 system for the German influenced 6334 system in the late 1970's...them brits did not complain.

You don't know what you are talking about in your first paragraph. You don't even know how colonization works. Part of colonization is erasure of the history of the natives. The British used Indian Residential schools (where children were forcefully separated from their parents, tortured and killed if the spoke their language or participated in their culture both of which they were forbidden by the British canadian government from doing) in Canada to erase the history of the natives in Canada in addition to genocide.....they wanted to erase the history of native Canadians and native americans and they succeeded in doing that....they declared them "savages" when they arrived in Canada. After a successful colonization of Canada and USA they came to do the same in Africa.

They came to africa and declared the natives savages....that's why they said Africa is "Dark Continent" and we were in huts....its lies aimed and getting your real history erased.

So based on British record in Canada and United States, its neither true nor probable that they introduced history in Nigeria....

1 Like

Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 25, 2022
BigBashiru:

You don't know what you are talking about in your first paragraph. You don't even know how colonization works. Part of colonization is erasure of the history of the natives. The British used Indian Residential schools (where children were forcefully separated from their parents, tortured and killed if the spoke their language or participated in their culture both of which they were forbidden by the British canadian government from doing) in Canada to erase the history of the natives in Canada in addition to genocide.....they wanted to erase the history of native Canadians and native americans and they succeeded in doing that....they declared them "savages" when they arrived in Canada. After a successful colonization of Canada and USA they came to do the same in Africa.

They came to africa and declared the natives savages....that's why they said Africa is "Dark Continent" and we were in huts....its lies aimed and getting your real history erased.

So based on British record in Canada and United States, its neither true nor probable that they introduced history in Nigeria....

Well, erasing the history of the natives didn't work much for us...by the 1960's we were being taught African history. By the time I was in secondary school, most of the history I was taught was Nigerian or African. (And if you needed to know more, we could read books on African history at school).

I did not do history as an elective...but those who did were learning about pre colonial African history, and maybe some colonial history.

We also wrote down our history (the first history of the Yoruba people was published in 1924. by CMS publishing self).

I doubt by 1980, anyone was teaching European history much.(What I know of of European history...I learned by self study. The only European history I got in school was WW1 AND WW2 history in primary 6,as part of social studies, and just the bare basics.).

A big issue with African history is that it is oral (the same issue happens with European history, which is why there are gaps in British history before the Roman conquest, and after the Romans left.)...that is what makes it difficult to teach.

Maybe you were taught in a foreign school. I wasn't.
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by BreconHills(m): 1:57pm On Nov 25, 2022
Viridis:

Having studied government and civic there is hardly anything you will bring up in history that I don't know

No sir, the two subjects have two completely different perspectives unless they are as I suspect improperly taught by teachers seeking yo make up for lack of history in the relevant years.

Civics is solely about how a civil society functions. Civics teaches a civilians rights and obligations under exant law and practice. If you try to add history to buttress civics you will end up drawing very narrow conclusions and teaching a slanted view of both.

The two are quite different.
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by J3susFr3ak: 2:12pm On Nov 25, 2022
Moneyyman:
Good. Not just anyhow history ooo, but our real history.

Not the history that teachers northerners to hate southerners, or southerners to hate northerners.

Not the history that teaches us to become enemies, but to keep the country sane.

But then the so-called Nigeria cannot just be reduced to a mere simplistic "North and South". This too was a convenient colonial construct which is also fueling the multi-dimensional fires of the chaos and problems today.

If you are using history to create a new constitution for the country....I challenge you to do away with the North/South dichotomy and acknowledge pre-colonial sovereign Kingdoms and alliances. I bet you....this is exactly what the hypocritical preachers of a so-called "monolithic north" do not want. They want to yarn new types of lies about "conquering Benue"....thinking everyone is an ape from the primitive Dan Fodio days.
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by d142475: 3:46pm On Nov 25, 2022
But why blame the FG? States had the power to introduce history in the curriculums in their respective territories, but they did not. States can provide quality curriculum for the pupils and students in addition to whatever the federal government requires. States can organize a well supported local vigilante and set up a “see something, say something” policy where citizens are enlightened to report suspicious movements. Some States have the money to buy one or two helicopters, which combs the forests in their territories once a week to check for hideouts of bandits and Fulani herdsmen, but they won’t. The State governments are the major problems we have . Our governors are worse than Buhari
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Nobleou(m): 4:09pm On Nov 25, 2022
Wole Soyinka don challenge una abi....
Bunch of meaningless people
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by JOemmy(m): 4:25pm On Nov 25, 2022
Christistruth00:

Do you think everyone are elaborate Liars like Kanu

Anyone that teaches Lies to their Children as History will suffer badly for it

Why do you think it took Germany 2 World Wars to learn their Lesson instead of Just one?

It was because they didn’t learn or let the History Of the first War to be taught Properly

Instead they were taught Propaganda

It took the complete Destruction of Germany in the Second War for their brains to be correctly reset

to understand that Germany was not going to rule Europe, but it was Europe that would rule Germany

I don't even get ur point
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by jgreyinteriors(m): 4:40pm On Nov 25, 2022
What were they thinking when it was yanked off the school curriculum?
You can't cover your tracks.
Commendable though!
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by J3susFr3ak: 5:08pm On Nov 25, 2022
d142475:
But why blame the FG? States had the power to introduce history in the curriculums in their respective territories, but they did not. States can provide quality curriculum for the pupils and students in addition to whatever the federal government requires. States can organize a well supported local vigilante and set up a “see something, say something” policy where citizens are enlightened to report suspicious movements. Some States have the money to buy one or two helicopters, which combs the forests in their territories once a week to check for hideouts of bandits and Fulani herdsmen, but they won’t. The State governments are the major problems we have . Our governors are worse than Buhari

While I would agree with you that the states always had the power to introduce the teaching of history on their own, and I believe some still do at that level....you have to be very aware of the fact that there has been a huge upswing in a massive propaganda brainwashing attempt to "rewrite" history mainly from the view of Northern muslims with twisted ulterior motives. They do not even need secular schools teaching secular subjects to brainwash them. Every week in their Islamic mosques they indoctrinate their footsoldiers with concentrated lies about the real histories of mainly Christian areas of the Middle Belt who were never conquered by precolonial jihadists--but only fell to British colonial rule. They try to justify their constant bloodshed and attacks on indigenous non-muslim groups by REWRITING the real history of particular places with bold faced shameless lies.

As for the issue of security...you also know as well that state Governors being in charge of security might as well be some type of sham right? Their powers to curb incursions is almost always limited by actions at the Federal level.

The Military structure of the entire country needs to be totally overhauled and reconstituted as it has become an easy tool for whoever is in charge to abuse. The title "Commander-in-Chief" of a supposed Nigerian nation only exists to aggressively push for the self-centered interests of the individual's ethnic/religious group without any real checks and balances--even if that Head of State would covertly support terrorists--and simultaneously pretend to support the military at the same time..

Now how about ensuring that the Governor has the power to actually dictate to the Police and the Military in their domain about an urgent security issue without the need to consult a God-forsaken "abuja" for once? Of course, blocking that reality will only lead to the eventual formations of State owned Para-Military forces to match the functions and purpose of the military in such cases where Fulani Terrorists attack villages near an army cantonment near Jos....but they just watched, waiting for orders from Abuja. Yet they were very very quick to respond against the Jos natives when there was a counter-attack against the marauding Muslim murderers.

Ancient History. Modern contemporary history...all need to be taught in all fairness and truth since it merely records the evils and abuses of mostly people in power and those who idolize them.
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Eleyigidgan: 6:41pm On Nov 25, 2022
saferoom:
Teach the children History with Truth
Dont teach history of lies and half truths. Teach them the exact way the Civil War took place. How many millions of children and women and men were gruesomely killed. Expose the root causes. You can give different accounts from both sides.
With that the future generations would not rush into war or battles or needless tribal differences. But when you lie to them for peace to reign the only peace u get is graveyard kind of peace
please keep shut.
you know nothing
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Blue3k(m): 6:43pm On Nov 25, 2022
History being reintroduced in the curriculum is great. Let's be honest the FG didn't need to do it. Nothing was stopping any state from doing it these past 13 years. Constitutionally the federal government mandates the minimum level of education, not the maximum. Lol, civics and economics should also be mandatory classes.

Anyway for history lovers here are two recommendations. Check out the documentary below if you have a couple of hours to kill over the weekend. Read this book if you want to know pre-Nigerian history before amalgamation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPz9AbfufTQ

Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by AutoConsult: 7:10pm On Nov 25, 2022
saferoom:
Teach the children History with Truth
Dont teach history of lies and half truths. Teach them the exact way the Civil War took place. How many millions of children and women and men were gruesomely killed. Expose the root causes. You can give different accounts from both sides.
With that the future generations would not rush into war or battles or needless tribal differences. But when you lie to them for peace to reign the only peace u get is graveyard kind of peace
In order words, they should teach the children hate. Why will any reasonable person think of teaching young chaps that kind of History at that very tender age??
Re: FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School by Bashir75: 8:04pm On Nov 25, 2022
bestofnollywood:

https://applesbite.com/fg-flags-off-teacher-training-program-to-reintroduce-history-in-basic-school-curriculum/

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS TODAY. THE GEN Z WILL LEARN WHY THE IGBO FOREFATHERS ARE THE ARCHITECT OF NIGERIA PROBLEMS TODAY.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Check Out My Junior's WAEC Result-Babafaros / . / Unilorin Admission list: Did You Find Your Name?.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.