Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,031 members, 7,845,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

People Who've Worked For Foreign Companies, Do They Check Work Experience? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / People Who've Worked For Foreign Companies, Do They Check Work Experience? (335 Views)

Must I Have Worked For A Company To Be Eligible For Turing.com Job? / Has Anyone Here Worked For Crossover.com As An Independent Contractor? / Working Or Looking For Foreign Remote Software Developer Job As A Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

People Who've Worked For Foreign Companies, Do They Check Work Experience? by TheChrisader: 10:42am On Nov 26, 2022
Let's say, for example, for the last two-ish years I've been working on projects that a Russian guy that lives here in Nigeria has been outsourcing to me, and I've been getting paid for my work.

The guy is an independent contractor, and sometimes works with multiple companies that exist back in his home country at once. He gets these projects from them, splits them up into tasks, and assigns them to the appropriate workers. I'm a frontend developer, so I got the frontend work.

It's been a nice gig, but as a result of the work this guy is doing, he's not particularly interested in having his name be shared out to companies as proof of previous work experience on my behalf.

So, I haven't been including my work experience in my CV to avoid having future employers potentially asking me to validate the work history I have (because I can't without the guy vouching for me, which he won't, which will make it seem like I lied on my resume), but the number of jobs that I've been looked over because it seems like I'm just a fresh junior to the field doesn't really make sense to me.

So I'm here to ask how foreign companies vet your work history to people who've gotten foreign jobs before. I'd like to know how I'd go about running this thing.

To better structure what exactly my questions are:

1. If you've had a remote job, did the company you worked at verify your previous work experience?

2. If they did verify, how did they do it?

3. Did you encounter any issue during the verification process?

Because since this guy doesn't want to help my ministry, I was thinking of just putting Freelancer/Web Consultant on my resume to showcase the two years of experience I have. The problem I have with this approach is that I'll be unable to back it up if any employer asked for references, even though I'm more than able to speak for myself with my coding prowess, ability to work on a remote team using slack, trello, etc, in a professional environment using git, linters, pre-commit hooks, CI/CD with github actions, unit and end-to-end testing, and all that.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Iterate Over A Python Dictionary - Practical Examples / I Need Help With Python, Please / 4 Reasons Why Learning Python Is A Game Changer For Your Coding Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.