Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,125 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? (5690 Views)

Nuc Proposed Seven Years Of Medical School : A Medical Student's Perspective / Debate:agitation For State Creation, A Necessity Or A Distraction? / Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by 4reigningqueen: 12:53pm On Aug 27, 2011
I was teaching my students a topic in mathematics one day, number system to be specific, and i asked myself wot exactly is the usefulness of dis topic to the students in the real world most of wot the students know nowadays is not wot they were thought in the classroom.which is why most of these students seem to be bored in the class because they do no see the relevance of wot they are being taught.these keeps me wondering is coming to school a necessity or just a fulfilment of all righteousness.your opinions will be appreciated
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by Mynd44: 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2011
yes it is
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by 190smh: 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2011
embarassed embarassed
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by merge(f): 1:12pm On Aug 27, 2011
I think it really depends. I don't believe in getting degrees for show and bragging purposes. An education is a lifelong thing. Everyone needs a general education, then once people find what they love they pursue it. Give them exposure and then they have to right choose what they like.

You never know who you will inspire with that math lesson you taught. As a teacher, its never good to be biased about information.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by Russialane(m): 1:16pm On Aug 27, 2011
@merge i agree with you views there education is a life long thing
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by 4reigningqueen: 1:28pm On Aug 27, 2011
merge:

I think it really depends. I don't believe in getting degrees for show and bragging purposes. An education is a lifelong thing. Everyone needs a general education, then once people find what they love they pursue it. Give them exposure and then they have to right choose what they like.

You never know who you will inspire with that math lesson you taught. As a teacher, its never good to be biased about information.
thoughtful and very very inspiring.thanks.how about this craze for certificates that we see around
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by merge(f): 1:30pm On Aug 27, 2011
4reigningqueen:

thoughtful and very very inspiring.thanks.how about this craze for certificates that we see around

Explain?

I hate the race for certificates. I believe education should be applied and experienced not just memorized and for showing off. I want to home school my children.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by 4reigningqueen: 1:42pm On Aug 27, 2011
for instance there are establishments that promote workers based on wot they have in terms of certificates despite the fact that they have workers that are better in terms of contribution to the progress of that establishment.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by Russialane(m): 1:44pm On Aug 27, 2011
the craze for certificates is because of the economic situation at the moment and the need for more DOSH to spend and live comfortably in short times have changed world wide even here in the UK THem just realise the need of university certificate now imagine all spaces for undergraduate admission is filled already for this new session in september
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by merge(f): 1:46pm On Aug 27, 2011
4reigningqueen:

for instance there are establishments that promote workers based on wot they have in terms of certificates despite the fact that they have workers that are better in terms of contribution to the progress of that establishment.

Well you are right. Certifications are just away for employers to verify if you have the training. How much the person retained or learned is a different story.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by merge(f): 1:49pm On Aug 27, 2011
Russialane:

the craze for certificates is because of the economic situation at the moment and the need for more DOSH to spend and live comfortably in short times have changed world wide even here in the UK THem just realise the need of university certificate now imagine all spaces for undergraduate admission is filled already for this new session in september

The educational system is a money making business too. Most people don't see it like that.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by 4reigningqueen: 2:05pm On Aug 27, 2011
a personal experience:a teacher was suddenly promoted to the post of a vp because she is a mother,married and read education.another teacher from another section was also brought in to come and head a section filled with lots of experienced and dedicated teachers.the two new heads hardly agree on issues not mentioning the fact that they were promoted ahead of those that know far more than them.a section that was once peaceful is now becoming an unbearable place for teachers.ao can students learn in such a place.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by merge(f): 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2011
4reigningqueen:

a personal experience:a teacher was suddenly promoted to the post of a vp because she is a mother,married and read education.another teacher from another section was also brought in to come and head a section filled with lots of experienced and dedicated teachers.the two new heads hardly agree on issues not mentioning the fact that they were promoted ahead of those that know far more than them.a section that was once peaceful is now becoming an unbearable place for teachers.ao can students learn in such a place.

Because of certificates. i think the employers are doing a bad job at selecting people. I would look at both experience and certificates. I would also consider how well the person works as a team
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by 190smh: 10:45pm On Aug 27, 2011
embarassed embarassed
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by BABE3: 10:46pm On Aug 27, 2011
If you, as a teacher, are asking yourself this question, then wahala dey o.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by 190smh: 10:47pm On Aug 27, 2011
BABE!:

embarassed embarassed
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by 4reigningqueen: 11:03pm On Aug 27, 2011
BABE!:

thanks for your opinion.its appreciated
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by 4reigningqueen: 11:05pm On Aug 27, 2011
Cuddlemii:

Putting up this topic in the romance section is a waste. Putting it in the Education section or front page is a necessity.

See you don't need to be in a classroom to learn, I just taught you something that took you years to lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
thanks for your post.noted
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by hbrednic: 1:15am On Aug 28, 2011
education is a waste of time and money
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by hajifaty: 2:19am On Aug 28, 2011
Education is very good becos it upgrade your way of thinking but does not determine your failure or success in life. Education in nigeria is wasting of time after secondary school.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 2:22am On Aug 28, 2011
Mehn having a school cert is just like an essential chieftaincy title e.g JOHN DOE b.sc.(mind you john doe now sells motor parts wares at the industrial market either because he cant get a befitting job OR because he cant defend his course of study).
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by dshiznitplata(m): 2:32am On Aug 28, 2011
In Nigeria the schools don't teach the right thing @ the right tyn, Take for example,was browsing the oda day when ii came across the entire syllabus for the Computer science dept of a school in Michigan. Noticed that what was taught in their year 3 first semester was taught as final year 2nd semester elective in a fed university here in Nigeria,
The schools in Nigeria spend too much tym teaching unnecessary stuffs, A comp sci stud will still be taking chem or phy in 200lev/300lev, Den the final year is bombarded with comp sci courses,
the education board doesn't enforce lecturers to upgrade their syllabuses like teach recent things, Eg still teaching C++/fortran/pascal instead of Java, WTF
How many of the lecturers can confidently stand up to a western counterpart in terms of programming?huh undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by PStacks(m): 2:38am On Aug 28, 2011
it might not seem nesessary but it is more of formative year, investment and acusition of basic and fundamental knowledge. moulding and forming for the future.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by baby4u2(f): 2:59am On Aug 28, 2011
Basic education like someone has rightly said is neccessary. Things like maths, ENGLISH, and basic science should be a necessity for everyone. If you dont however hope to pursue a higher education later on in life that is your business.

I had a friend here in U.S. that was struggling so much in university and kept on dropping out all the time from college. I kept on wondering and try to nudge her to continue pursuing a higher education. She later came to me one precious day to help her out with her english assignment. When i saw the paper, I was more than amazed. She couldnt even put simple sentence together although she could speak english. She couldnt get pass half a page of a 2 page essay. The English teacher wrote and I quote in summary, "What is this?" I knew then that her foundation was not good cause she didnt even have the basics. We have manifestations of a lot of these here on nairaland.

Some people are naturally street smart, but you see, if they become entrepreneurs and have to conduct business they will need the help of educated people. I sincerely do not like difficult maths, be it calculus or applied, its not my thing, although I am an accountant. But I thank God, i went through all those annoying classes, cause now when I take my economics or accounting classes its easy for me to find percentages or odd numbers and know how they came about.

About the certificates, also not as important but its good. Only if the employer is a mind reader then he can know who is qualified or not. People commit time and effort to get these certificates, although some pay for it, but regardless it sets apart people in this type of competitive society especially Nigeria. Some people may however learn on the Job, but its easier for employers to ease there stress by just picking people with the right certification.

Everyone needs basic education to thrive in this competitive society of today. Continue to teach them the numbersystem or what you call it, they will appreciate it in future.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by seedord247(m): 3:20am On Aug 28, 2011
baby4u2:

Basic education like someone has rightly said is neccessary. Things like maths, ENGLISH, and basic science should be a necessity for everyone. If you dont however hope to pursue a higher education later on in life that is your business.

I had a friend here in U.S. that was struggling so much in university and kept on dropping out all the time from college. I kept on wondering and try to nudge her to continue pursuing a higher education. She later came to me one precious day to help her out with her english assignment. When i saw the paper, I was more than amazed. She couldnt even put simple sentence together although she could speak english. She couldnt get pass half a page of a 2 page essay. The English teacher wrote and I quote in summary, "What is this?" I knew then that her foundation was not good cause she didnt even have the basics. We have manifestations of a lot of these here on nairaland.

Some people are naturally street smart, but you see, if they become entrepreneurs and have to conduct business they will need the help of educated people. I sincerely do not like difficult maths, be it calculus or applied, its not my thing, although I am an accountant. But I thank God, i went through all those annoying classes, cause now when I take my economics or accounting classes its easy for me to find percentages or odd numbers and know how they came about.

About the certificates, also not as important but its good. Only if the employer is a mind reader then he can know who is qualified or not. People commit time and effort to get these certificates, although some pay for it, but regardless it sets apart people in this type of competitive society especially Nigeria. Some people may however learn on the Job, but its easier for employers to ease there stress by just picking people with the right certification.

Everyone needs basic education to thrive in this competitive society of today. Continue to teach them the numbersystem or what you call it, they will appreciate it in future.

what's your faceebook email . .
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by premechaz: 3:35am On Aug 28, 2011
4reigningqueen:

I was teaching my students a topic in mathematics one day, number system to be specific, and i asked myself wot exactly is the usefulness of dis topic to the students in the real world most of wot the students know nowadays is not wot they were thought in the classroom.which is why most of these students seem to be bored in the class because they do no see the relevance of wot they are being taught.these keeps me wondering is coming to school a necessity or just a fulfilment of all righteousness.your opinions will be appreciated

You just exposed yourself as being stupiddd and not creative. Too bad you are allowed to teach in Nigeria. In a more sane country, you would not have been allowed to get near children, let alone teach or shape a mind. SMH.

1 Like

Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by Princek12(m): 3:52am On Aug 28, 2011
Poster,

first of all, your employer should fire you because you as the teacher knows nothing about the real-world relevance of the subject matter you are teaching. that shows you are not worthy of being a teacher.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by lagcity(m): 4:02am On Aug 28, 2011
Education broadens your mind and lets you into the secret of our world. So that you won't think magnets are made by European witches and wizards. As per  the mathematics, most people don't use it in their daily lives but the few who do make a huge difference in our world. Think of the internet and powerful computers used today and the financial systems.

I also believe that Nigerians are nuts for wasting resources and time pursuing PhDs just because they want to be "Drs." If you don't wanna be an academic or a researcher, stay the fork away from the PhD programs so that the students who want to spend their lives doing research can have a better shot as there are limited seats in good PhD programs. I know an Indian who has a PhD in Immunology and she is now doing Interior Decoration angry angry angry.
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by Acidosis(m): 4:20am On Aug 28, 2011
''Education will make you a better slave''
It only teaches you how to work for others and make them rich. Robert Kiyosaki said and I quote. . ''if you want to be rich, don't go to school''. I never doubt his words.
What do ur parents tell you y u were still young i.e. Teenager ''my child, go to school, come out with a good grade so u can get a good company TO WORK FOR''. This statement killed d potentials, ability and purpose of many without them realising it.
''No matter the level of formal education u have, it won't make u own a company u work for'' - - -Acidosis. Education teaches one how to say, yes sir!, o.k sir, alright sir. Moreso how to brag, suit-up even while we are slaves to humanity, fellows etc
I believe in trade, business, entrepreneurial skill etc.,''Education will make you a better slave''
It only teaches you how to work for others and make them rich. Robert Kiyosaki said and I quote. . ''if you want to be rich, don't go to school''. I never doubt his words.
What do ur parents tell you y u were still young i.e. Teenager ''my child, go to school, come out with a good grade so u can get a good company TO WORK FOR''. This statement killed d potentials, ability and purpose of many without them realising it.
''No matter the level of formal education u have, it won't make u own a company u work for'' - - -Acidosis. Education teaches one how to say, yes sir!, o.k sir, alright sir. Moreso how to brag, suit-up even while we are slaves to humanity, fellows etc
I believe in trade, business, entrepreneurial skill etc.,
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by lagcity(m): 6:02am On Aug 28, 2011
^^^^^^^
thank you very much Mr education-is-slavery. i guess Aliko Dangote will perform emergency surgery for you when u get into a car accident shay?
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by unphilaz(m): 6:23am On Aug 28, 2011
thanks acidosis for your comment no wonder i have already planned to retire early, travel and enjoy life therefore now planning to invest seriously in storage business before considering for my "masters"
Re: Is Going To School A Necessity Or A Waste Of Time? by Nobody: 8:31am On Aug 28, 2011
naija skools help to boost ur i.q and make u able to think. . *
it prepares u for future hustling.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 8 Secrets Of First Class Students / Funny Photo Of Access Bank Swallowing Diamond Bank / Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.