Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools (28896 Views)

Has LASU Made Yoruba Language A Compulsory Course For Students? (Fact Check) / Second Term Begins: Did You Do This While In Primary Or Secondary School? / 'Making Love': Found In Primary School Book (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by johnfem321: 8:51am On Dec 01, 2022
All the countries I mentioned has been colonised by British.. china was colonised by British, same as India.. and yes most people in all this countries also speak English but it’s not their primary language.. i don’t have any problem at all for people to speak English and other foreign languages.. but our own language first..
Sweetvie:
@bolded I totally agree with you
There was a time I can't speak my own language ( not still good tho') when people asked me what tribe i am I'll be like am a Yoruba and they'll asked me again can you speak it am gonna be like No
That's a huge slap on my face
It just like i lost myself or don't even know who I am. So I think it a nice gesture from FG.
I disagree with you on the second part. English is not abt you giving in to oppressors or colonization it abt been able to speak when ur mate are speaking. Most country u stated ain't colonized by british. Av you visit india b4? Do you know they're good in English?.
See, both language av their advantages
So I think it better for kids to be good in both.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Oyerinde16(m): 8:52am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:
If true, one of the best policies to ever come out of our educational system.

So all Igbo children in primary school in the North will be learning matimatics and English in hausa language because hausa is the dominant language in the North...
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sweetvie: 9:05am On Dec 01, 2022
johnfem321:
All the countries I mentioned has been colonised by British.. china was colonised by British, same as India.. and yes most people in all this countries also speak English but it’s not their primary language.. i don’t have any problem at all for people to speak English and other foreign languages.. but our own language first..
Hmmm... I understand you
I think it parent at fault abt that
Our own primary language can be learn at home but some parent decided they want their kids to b speaking english rather than their own language.
But if you speak ur language to ur kids and in school also they speak same language... How are they suppose to learn other language?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BanyXchi: 9:10am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

I completely agree.

The best thing is that the policy is based on emperical evidence. A study done in Ile Ife some years ago proved that students taught in Yoruba performed better than those taught in English language. Another thing is that this policy has helped nations like India greatly.

In few years, it will be extended to SSS3.

God bless Nigeria!
we need our own Yoruba nation instead.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Watcharena: 9:11am On Dec 01, 2022
tete7000:
These confused people have come again. You teach a child in local language for six years of his/her developmental years, and then continues with English while in secondary school. If you wan use English, use English; if na local language you wan use, use am.
don't worry with time English will be removed from our secondary and tertiary institutions this is just the first major step Nigeria has taken , English will one- day be forgotten as our official language
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BanyXchi: 9:11am On Dec 01, 2022
blaise26abj:

Nothing bad in allowing your child to learn the predominant language of your host community . Most Igbo kids that grew up in the south west can speak Yoruba fluently .
It is actually a great move if well implemented . In terms of integration of the country and ability of students to understand better what they are taught .
I see it as a baby step towards removal of state of origin and having state of residence .
we are not interested in removal of state of origin.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Peterobi90: 9:11am On Dec 01, 2022
Lifestone:

Bro this is the best policy any government have made since independence. Implementation will get easier as the program matures. Russia, China etc don't teach in English but they are educated. I would have been a genius if I was taught in my mother tongue

We are a multi lingual country, this works better with one language countries. When you are done learning with Efik, would you restrict your life to Crossriver state?

I think the law should be directed to the family.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Jeezuzpick(m): 9:12am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, how a Yoruba kid in the North will be able to learn Yoruba language properly in the North.

ADDED:
For those claiming I didn't read the post, stop acting smart when you are highly ignorant. Because I pointed out the bigger problem, you claim I didn't see the smaller problem expressed in the post. Is this how your brain works? I read the post. I then pointed out where the major issue lies. As a matter of fact, a person's mother tongue is the language of the person's ancestors, not the language of a foreign region where the person was born and raised. The mother tongue of a Yoruba person born and raised in the North is Yoruba language, not Hausa language. The keyword in the meaning of "mother tongue" is "native". Is a child born by a Yoruba couple in the North a native of Hausa? Stop fooling yourselves.

You are the one who doesn't understand my comment. The post talks about the dominant language in the children's region of residence. I commented about the children's ancestral language, which is the biggest challenge in this regard. If you don't lack common sense, you would have known that what the government tackles here is not the actual problem. This is why the government always goes a million miles in misleading you before you realize you are misled. Have you ever seen a child of tribe A raised in tribe B and the child knows tribe A language more than he or she knows tribe B language? Even if you have seen a child like that, the case is very rare, it is less than 5%. Most of the tribe A children raised in tribe B even know tribe B language more they know the tribe A language.

Almost every child grows to naturally understand the dominant language of his or her region of residence. Every Igbo kid raised in the North is even better in Hausa language than in Igbo language. Every Yoruba kid raised in the North is good in Hausa language, or even better in Hausa language than in Yoruba language. So, has the mother tongue of a place of residence ever been a serious problem for any kid? The serious challenge kids have is being fluent in the dominant language in their place of residence while knowing just little or nothing about the dominant language of their ancestral (native) tribe. The bigger problem I pointed is absolutely in line with the smaller problem expressed in this post. So, why are people replying me as if my comment is off-point or illogical? Tụfịakwa!

You're spot on!

This same issue was raised on a radio programme this morning.

What if a kid was instructed in Yoruba up to primary 3 and his policeman Dad gets transferred to Enugu from Ibadan?

This stuff will mess things up and may actually divide the nation even more.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by temielects(m): 9:14am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, how a Yoruba kid in the North will be able to learn Yoruba language properly in the North.

ADDED:
For those claiming I didn't read the post, stop acting smart when you are highly ignorant. Because I pointed out the bigger problem, you claim I didn't see the smaller problem expressed in the post. Is this how your brain works? I read the post. I then pointed out where the major issue lies. As a matter of fact, a person's mother tongue is the language of the person's ancestors, not the language of a foreign region where the person was born and raised. The mother tongue of a Yoruba person born and raised in the North is Yoruba language, not Hausa language. The keyword in the meaning of "mother tongue" is "native". Is a child born by a Yoruba couple in the North a native of Hausa? Stop fooling yourselves.

You are the one who doesn't understand my comment. The post talks about the dominant language in the children's region of residence. I commented about the children's ancestral language, which is the biggest challenge in this regard. If you don't lack common sense, you would have known that what the government tackles here is not the actual problem. This is why the government always goes a million miles in misleading you before you realize you are misled. Have you ever seen a child of tribe A raised in tribe B and the child knows tribe A language more than he or she knows tribe B language? Even if you have seen a child like that, the case is very rare, it is less than 5%. Most of the tribe A children raised in tribe B even know tribe B language more they know the tribe A language.

Almost every child grows to naturally understand the dominant language of his or her region of residence. Every Igbo kid raised in the North is even better in Hausa language than in Igbo language. Every Yoruba kid raised in the North is good in Hausa language, or even better in Hausa language than in Yoruba language. So, has the mother tongue of a place of residence ever been a serious problem for any kid? The serious challenge kids have is being fluent in the dominant language in their place of residence while knowing just little or nothing about the dominant language of their ancestral (native) tribe. The bigger problem I pointed is absolutely in line with the smaller problem expressed in this post. So, why are people replying me as if my comment is off-point or illogical? Tụfịakwa!
I hate to call people foolish, but no sorry you are damn stupid
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by FreeStuffsNG: 9:14am On Dec 01, 2022
BanyXchi:
we need our own Yoruba nation instead.
There is already a Yoruba nation started by the forebears. I will prefer a broader and bigger platform Nigeria gave me. Luckily, the Nigeria of today is the legacy of my Yoruba forebears, a house they built with others by dint of hardwork
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Peterobi90: 9:16am On Dec 01, 2022
basty:

You are a slave and dumb for writing this nonsense.
There is no country that developed technologically outside their mother tongue. You are now encouraging a slave mentality. I pity people or slave like you.

Oh please shut it.. bring a detailed analysis of its positives.. lets see..

You are a multi lingual dependent country, the policy should be directed to personal homes..
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Peterobi90: 9:19am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:

Do pupils in UK, USA, Germany, Canada, Japan, China or India start school by learning a foreign language first?
What is dumb is the idea of teaching our kids a foreign language before they can even start learning.

- Can you speak your native language?
- How did you learn it?
- Did english not help you integrate into the world?
- How many of the countries you mentioned are dependent countries?
- How many of the countries you mentioned are multiligual?

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BanyXchi: 9:20am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

There is already a Yoruba nation started by the forebears. I will prefer a broader and bigger platform Nigeria gave me. Luckily, the Nigeria of today is the legacy of my Yoruba forebears, a house they built with others by dint of hardwork
there's no Yoruba nation here, I suspect you are just a APC member that benefits from this failed country, it's better for Yorubas to seperate and have our own country. With the way APC has destroyed this country, we are getting there. No matter how much you defend this administration and 'One Nigeria', it will never stop the future of this country. I'm not against BAT btw, I will still support him to defend the interest of Yorubas in this country. But we all know this contraption will never work. Our forebearers especially the late Sage should have gotten us out of this contraption a long time ago.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Coolgent(m): 9:27am On Dec 01, 2022
ZKOSOSO:
That's not the meaning of Mother tonight. Hope that are trying to send Hausafulanikanuri teachers to the whole country o
Tribal bigot.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by FreeStuffsNG: 9:32am On Dec 01, 2022
BanyXchi:
there's no Yoruba nation here, I suspect you are just a APC member that benefits from this failed country, it's better for Yorubas to seperate and have our own country. With the way APC has destroyed this country, we are getting there. No matter how much you defend this administration and 'One Nigeria', it will never stop the future of this country. I'm not against BAT btw, I will still support him to defend the interest of Yorubas in this country. But we all know this contraption will never work. Our forebearers especially the late Sage should have gotten us out of this contraption a long time ago.

You are one of them who have been outcompeted and looking for a hole to crawl back to.

If you are an unpatriotic horrible lazy Nigerian citizen so you will be as a micro Yoruba citizen.

I am a Nigerian with Yoruba blood tokantokan flowing in my veins. I know folks like you will give us problem later by advocating for Ekiti sub nation, Ijebu sub nation etc so I will rather compete on a broader platform my Yoruba forebears worked hard to build with others.

If you come from Yoruba familles and iran like mine that fought for Nigeria's independence, you will value the sacrifice they made but I do not blame you. You have no stake and looking for a way to justify your idle fantasies.

You better go and work very hard and build your life and community and state so you will leave a worthy legacy behind. Nigeria aint going nowhere so come back to planet earth o.

Owuro lojo eni ma rire.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by LadyExcellency: 9:34am On Dec 01, 2022
Without good understanding of English language, they can't cope with YouTube or better online studies.

Most pupils using online classes are even better than their local teachers.

My last born is better in sciences than his teacher courtesy of online classes.

We have passed local competitions, it now international. The curriculum is a bit late.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by tete7000(m): 9:35am On Dec 01, 2022
Watcharena:
don't worry with time English will be removed from our secondary and tertiary institutions this is just the first major step Nigeria has taken , English will one- day be forgotten as our official language

You guys just live in delusion. In a multi-tribe, multi-dialect society you want to remove the only language that unites and bring the people together. If I may ask, the ast time you left your village (if you have ever left your village though) and went to places where they don't speak your local dielect, was it your local village language you used to communicate with the new people you met? People who married across ethnical and tribal lines, not myopic ones like you; which language do you think unite their homes? One of the problem this country has is that it is governed and ruled by the people at the lowest end of intelligence ladder, people like you that suffer from complex.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BanyXchi: 9:38am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

You are one of them who have been outcompeted and looking for a hole to crawl back to.

If you are an unpatriotic horrible lazy Nigerian citizen so you will be as a micro Yoruba citizen.

I am a Nigerian with Yoruba blood tokantokan flowing in my veins. I know folks like you will give us problem later by advocating for Ekiti sub nation, Ijebu sub nation etc so I will rather compete on a broader platform my Yoruba forebears worked hard to build with others.

If you come from Yoruba familles like mine that fought for Nigeria's independence, you eill valurle the sacrifice they made but I do not blame you. You have no stake and looking for a way to justify your idle fantasies. You better go and work hard and build your life and community and state so you will leave a worthy legacy behind. Nigeria aint going nowhere so come back to planet earth o.

Owuro lojo eni ma rire.
lol don't worry I'm a successful happy person in life, you don't have to project your problems on me abeg. I just checked your moniker and ik I shouldn't have engaged you in the first place. Good luck!
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by rafcrown(m): 9:41am On Dec 01, 2022
Nigbati Tope gba Tolu leti....
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by ZKOSOSO(m): 9:44am On Dec 01, 2022
Mrmb:

I think English is difficult for you to understand or you are just purposely being mischievous. He said the mother tongue will be the dominant language spoken in the area the school is located. So an Hausa kid schooling in Lagos will be taught in Yoruba language simple a A B C
Oga u dare not trust these people....
If Buhari could do this to Nigerians, what else is impossible to him.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by latolz: 9:48am On Dec 01, 2022
What does this fool hope to achieve after achieving NOTHING
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 9:49am On Dec 01, 2022
What's the difference between a national language and an official language? because to me they're the same thing, as they're recognised by the country's constitution.

But of course, we still do most of the things in English in order to make life easier, but there are still some schools that teach all the subjects in Afrikaans, except English, and also there are some universities too that use strictly Afrikaans, with English translators for those who didn't do it back in school.
miketayo:

And National language?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Kaycee9242(m): 9:55am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:

ADDED:

Your points are as clear as crystal and its really a problem that the government need to look into.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Pesbest: 9:56am On Dec 01, 2022
In my opinion, I suggest the FG should visit nation(s) who once had this issue and overcame it...

We may learn alot from there in solving ours.

Cheers✌️
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by miketayo(m): 9:59am On Dec 01, 2022
Samantha123:
What's the difference between a national language and an official language? because to me they're the same thing, as they're recognised by the country's constitution.

But of course, we still do most of the things in English in order to make life easier, but there are still some schools that teach all the subjects in Afrikaans, except English, and also there are some universities too that use strictly Afrikaans, with English translators for those who didn't do it back in school.

so we can say over 90% of SA speak Afrikaans, so teaching in Afrikaans won't be an issue in SA. but we don't have a language like that in Nigeria that's why we all speak English.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by garriAndsugar: 10:08am On Dec 01, 2022
Sometimes we tend to take unserious things too serious..

So after learning the so called mother tongue of an area then I relocate.. how will I communicate freely with the new place I moved to?

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by CharleyBright(m): 10:13am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:

I don't like to argue with mo.rons. You are convinced your language is inferior and cannot be used for learning. The lack of confidence in your self, in your language, in your culture is exactly what your colonizer wanted. I think they did a good job on you. Stupid house slave, the chains are off but you remain in slavery nonetheless. Olodo.
What are the intrinsic values of knowing how to speak English.
Are you allowed to perform surgery on people just because you can speak English? Are you allowed to build bridges and skyscrapers just because you can speak English? Olodo lasan lasan.

Why don't you let us switch this conversation to our mother tongue and see where the discourse would end?
And how about you start posting on Nairaland with your mother tongue?
What happens when everyone becomes native champions trying to assert and impose their mother tongues on others?
What value will mother tongue add to the fallen standards of education?
Clueless people supporting clueless policies that leads nowhere.
Nigeria is too divided on tribal lines, we don't need clownish policies to thwart and balcanize our education further.
Mother tongue ko, Father lips ni.
Awon oniranu.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 01, 2022
I'd say 80% because back in the early 2000s the language was compulsory in all SA schools until 2008 when some schools removed it from their syllabus because apparently it represented the apartheid era.

As long as you teach Afrikaans in schools that accept and recognize the language, then it won't be a problem.
miketayo:

so we can say over 90% of SA speak Afrikaans, so teaching in Afrikaans won't be an issue in SA. but we don't have a language like that in Nigeria that's why we all speak English.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by miketayo(m): 10:21am On Dec 01, 2022
Samantha123:
I'd say 80% because back in the early 2000s the language was compulsory in all SA schools until 2008 when some schools removed it from their syllabus because apparently it represented the apartheid era.

As long as you teach Afrikaans in schools that accept and recognize the language, then it won't be a problem.

my point is we cant see our native languages in schools because we don't have a general language asides English

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by CharleyBright(m): 10:24am On Dec 01, 2022
blaise26abj:

You fail to see the bigger picture . The more attractive education is for the North and the policy leading to more enrolment , the better for nigeria .

The south will do just fine . Even if they say the kids should learn Mandarin as a compulsory course , they will easily do. The southern kids are a brilliant bunch . Also Children can learn other languages easily . Nothing bad in learning another language . It improves intelligence .

Nope, it is not about bigger picture. There can't be a bigger picture if there is no real picture.
I rather think you fail to see the real picture here.

What is the ratio of teacher to pupils in public schools?
No less than 1: 30.

How will teaching pupils in their mother tongues be achievable under this scenario when Nigeria has over 500 languages??
Will a classroom teacher teach the pupils her own mother tongue or will she have to learn each pupils mother tongue to teach them?
Let's me realistic, it is not possible. It is a futile policy meant to serve the interest of some people who conceived it.

That China did it don't mean Nigeria should adopt it too. Nigeria is not China.
China ran and succeeded with that mother tongue educational policy simply because their native mother tongue is Mandarin. It was easy for them because they have a single language. Nigeria has diverse mother tongues. It won't work with Nigeria unless the govt intends to kill other languages and impose the 3 major languages.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 10:29am On Dec 01, 2022
Come on, you can do your native languages and English, what's wrong with that?

English is also our general language, but we also do our native languages in schools and everything is working out just fine.

I don't get it, do you want your native languages to go on extinction
miketayo:

my point is we cant see our native languages in schools because we don't have a general language asides English
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Luckysbab: 10:33am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

If you come from Yoruba familles and iran like mine that fought for Nigeria's independence, you will value the sacrifice they made but I do not blame you. You have no stake and looking for a way to justify your idle fantasies.

You better go and work very hard and build your life and community and state so you will leave a worthy legacy behind. Nigeria aint going nowhere so come back to planet earth o.

Owuro lojo eni ma rire.

Fynestboi, olawalebabs, Richiez

This is cyber bullying. This should never be tolerated on this forum. Help us keep here sane, weed out bad eggs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

January 18 School Resumption Date Stands - Ministry Of Education / Male Lecturers And Their Sexual Manipulations With Female Students / Someone Please Help Me Before I Kill Myself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.