Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools (28957 Views)

States With The Most Unqualified Teachers In Primary Schools — Statisense / Has LASU Made Yoruba Language A Compulsory Course For Students? (Fact Check) / 'Making Love': Found In Primary School Book (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by 2Radii: 7:18am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, a Yoruba kid in the North learns Yoruba language properly in the North.
they never said English should be abolished..

U no get brain

U must complain on everything..

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by OgatheTop: 7:19am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

I completely agree.

The best thing is that the policy is based on emperical evidence. A study done in Ile Ife some years ago proved that students taught in Yoruba performed better than those taught in English language. Another thing is that this policy has helped nations like India greatly.

In few years, it will be extended to SSS3.

God bless Nigeria!

Yorubastaards
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by kkonyeji(m): 7:19am On Dec 01, 2022
Dshocker:
Am from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), my problem now is; who will teach me Swahili language in school¿

Is Swahili a Nigerian language?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by karmaolu1(m): 7:21am On Dec 01, 2022
Hmm time to explore my native language (Kuteb). my primary school teachers go suffer for my hand
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by ElSudani: 7:21am On Dec 01, 2022
CharleyBright:

Mumu boy.
Go back to school let them use your language to teach you again and let's see the result.
Continue to support aboki selfish policy that is meant to enshrine their dominance.
Will your mother tongue education compete in international market.
Countries are trying to move progressive forward, una dey foolishly support aboki backward policies.
This damn outlandish policy is meant to cater for illiterate northerners who can't cope with learning and speaking English.
It does not add any value.

I don't like to argue with mo.rons. You are convinced your language is inferior and cannot be used for learning. The lack of confidence in your self, in your language, in your culture is exactly what your colonizer wanted. I think they did a good job on you. Stupid house slave, the chains are off but you remain in slavery nonetheless. Olodo.
What are the intrinsic values of knowing how to speak English.
Are you allowed to perform surgery on people just because you can speak English? Are you allowed to build bridges and skyscrapers just because you can speak English? Olodo lasan lasan.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by monex(m): 7:22am On Dec 01, 2022
The policy is not well thought out. There is a difference between studying the "mother tongue" as a compulsory subject and using it as the primary language of instruction.

The headline of this post and the contents of the policy are different
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by alizma: 7:23am On Dec 01, 2022
ZKOSOSO:
That's not the meaning of Mother tonight. Hope that are trying to send Hausafulanikanuri teachers to the whole country o
You actually need to go back to school, you need the mother tongue instructions to understand the post.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by kkonyeji(m): 7:23am On Dec 01, 2022
arantess:

Lol

The statement contradicts itself

It has taken effect buuuut no teachers and materials available grin

How then has it taken effect

Confused minister

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 01, 2022
We have eleven official languages.
miketayo:

What is the official language in SA
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by immortalcrown(m): 7:29am On Dec 01, 2022
2Radii:
they never said English should be abolished..

U no get brain

U must complain on everything..
If you have brain, explain where and when I claim they want to abolish English.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by TruthHurts100: 7:29am On Dec 01, 2022
So they can now speak in tongues in schools?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 01, 2022
IranianSea:

Go back to wherever you come from, not a must you live in Yoruba land. Don't know what your likes even looking for, here.

Lol. Nah. Who wants to live in “Yoruba land”? Abeg o
I never made this conversation any land. I didn’t say what I said because of any personal feelings. I said what I said because that’s what makes sense. By the way, my likes aren’t in your land. It’s too far for us.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by viodemus: 7:31am On Dec 01, 2022
a bunch of non entity policies.

They take one step forward, and take three backward.

The world and even just Africa, is bigger than the many Nigerian languages, how many teachers can you hire. This administration is too divisive.

I thought it will be nice to mesh people, and not to separate them. It is one thing to say, languages will be available for any Nigerian willing to learn, even the internet can do that. But because some archaic people don't want to mesh and develop, they bring up language barrier, that is taking time to breakdown.

Am very sure, the fake nigerian divisive royals will support this, so that they will feel important as a dividing stooge. When a zamfara person goes to ebonyi, he or she shouldn't be forced to learn igbo if they don't want to, but it should be easy for them to enroll in a school there and get an education. Along their educational journey, if they feel like they want to learn any language or the dominant language where they found themselves, that is okay too.

Na Lagos dem born me, I didn't learn yoruba in Lagos, but when I spent some holidays with some cousins in ido -ani, ondo, and osogbo, osun, and with my cousins coming to Lagos alot, i ended up speaking mediocre yoruba, from my own interest. My dad also speaks yoruba fluently and hausa (mediocre). I know a little more than average hausa. I went to uni in Benin, I learnt some edo, for the three years I spent there.

In ph, I spoke english, pidgin, or igbo, and sometimes I would speak some ikwerre, but ikwerre is very similar to igbo language, so that was not too difficult to comprehend.

My mum (igbo like my dad) speaks four nigerian languages ( igbo, hausa, nupe, yoruba, and of course pidgin) but she also speaks swahili, French, portugese, and Spanish. So along the years,I can below average speak French and some Portuguese, and my swahili keeps getting better, like my Spanish. My brother speaks japanes and chinese, like can have long conversation with them. Business was and is my motivation to learn all these languages except for english, pidgin, and igbo, which were natural to me.

My point is not to force or hinder people with language like how those backward arabs like to do things.

Let people learn what they can, but the main Nigerian language is English. With English, you will more than likely know pidgin, and then you can pick any ethnic language you want to learn. It is not a force something. If you can do maths in your tribal language, good for you, but english is the Nigerian language and England don't have anything to do with that since 1960. Stop letting arab influence guide your policy. I thank God, those people did not colonize us as a whole, but the UK and other Europeans did.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by SK1SOLA: 7:32am On Dec 01, 2022
God punish the teacher that collected money from us for speaking mother tongue back in the days
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by 2Radii: 7:33am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
If you have brain, explain where and when I claim they want to abolish English.
So why are u bothered about an Anambra kid having his education in ondo??

Nothing changes, if he doesn't understand in Yoruba he would understand in English

Same goes for an ekiti boy having his primary education in abia..if he find it difficult to understand in Igbo, English will suffice..

Once again, having a potency to speak good English doesn't make u a brilliant man when it comes to thinking..u need to sharpen Ur thinking faculty.
And if u re saying rubbish just to get likes, then u need to grow up, many responsibilities are ahead of u.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:34am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, a Yoruba kid in the North learns Yoruba language properly in the North.

ADDED:
For those claiming I didn't read the post, stop acting smart when you are highly ignorant. As a matter of fact, a person's mother tongue is the language of the person's ancestors, not the language of a foreign region where the person was born and raised. The mother tongue of a Yoruba person born and raised in the North is Yoruba language, not Hausa language. The keyword in the meaning of "mother tongue" is "native". Is a child born by a Yoruba couple in the North a native of Hausa? Stop fooling yourselves.

You are the one who doesn't understand my comment. The post talks about the dominant language in the children's region of residence. I commented about the children's ancestral language. If you don't lack common sense, you would known that what the government tackles here is not the actual problem. This is why the government always go a million miles in misleading you before you realize you are misled. Have you ever seen a child of tribe A raised in tribe B and the child knows tribe A language more than he or she knows tribe B language? Even if you have seen a child like that, the case is very rare, it less than 5%. Most of the tribe A children raised in tribe B even know tribe B language more they know the tribe A language.

Every child has always grown to understand the dominant language of his or her region of residence. Every Igbo kid raised in the North is even better in Hausa language than in Igbo language. Every Yoruba kid raised in the North is good in Hausa language, or even better in Hausa language than in Yoruba language. So, has the mother tongue of a place of residence ever been a serious problem for any kid? The serious challenge kids have is being fluent in the dominant language in their place of residence while knowing just little or nothing about the dominant language of their ancestral (native) tribe.

Mother tongue, YES... But the minister then said it'll be the dominant language of the community where the school is located

There seem to be a mix-up

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by FreeStuffsNG: 7:34am On Dec 01, 2022
Babinski:

India has a single language (Hindi) that cuts across and is their second official language with English. Nigeria does not have such. Trying to restrict to three major languages of Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo is already a problem not to talk of when other languages are considered. The comparison to India isn't exactly proper.
At bolded is not true. India has about 200 languages
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by IranianSea: 7:35am On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

Lol. Nah. Who wants to live in “Yoruba land”? Abeg o
I never made this conversation any land. I didn’t say what I said because of any personal feelings. I said what I said because that’s what makes sense. By the way, my likes aren’t in your land. It’s too far for us.
Too far for you and you're still trooping in everyday. What go chase you, go chase you soon.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by jcross19: 7:37am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:
If true, one of the best policies to ever come out of our educational system.
because northern school system is so bad!... Very backward kind of human being tied down by religion.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by FreeStuffsNG: 7:40am On Dec 01, 2022
[quote author=Bobbiee post=118810922]

The downside is that there'd be zero ethnic mixing. Students would grow up having difficulty speaking English, and hence finding it difficult to mix with other Nigerians. What about people of other ethnicities in the same town or city. Would they have to be taught in Yoruba too? / [quote]

Yes. Till the 2000 upward, hardly will you attend Lagos public schools and not understand and know how to speak Yoruba. That is part of the edge you have over those who schooled outside Yorubaland. It is like going to India to school too. India has about 200 different languages but you will be taught in their dorminant languages
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by FreeStuffsNG: 7:43am On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

Lol. What happens if I’m not Yoruba and we happen to live in Ile Ife and I have no desire for my child to learn Yoruba. Will the school teach my child in his own mother tongue too? The dominant language spoken in the community doesn’t make it my mother tongue
Community schools are designed to train folks and meet the demands of the community folks first. If you are in Ile Ife and do not want Yoruba you have the option of sending your child overseas or your region. This is not compulsory you know
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by ElSudani: 7:47am On Dec 01, 2022
jcross19:
because northern school system is so bad!... Very backward kind of human being tied down by religion.

The whole of Nigeria can do better when it comes to education. The north is a little bit behind agreed. But, there are many reasons for this not just religion.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by DissTroy(m): 7:48am On Dec 01, 2022
The question is, which of the mother tongues? Ikom LGA in Cross River, for example, has 13 languages and tribes so which of the languages should be taught?
Is a Fulani boy schooling in Ikot Ekpene expected to learn Annang instead of Fulfilde? Are there Fulfilde teachers in Ikot Ekpene to teach him in school?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by casualobserver: 7:51am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:
If true, one of the best policies to ever come out of our educational system.

Long overdue. I don’t know why it was removed in the 1st place.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by yemmit90: 7:51am On Dec 01, 2022
johnfem321:
Remember English language in Nigeria is less than 100 years.. and the first university is less than 65years.. We have been co-existing, trading and communicating for several thousands of years before English came to Nigeria.. may be a bit of history will teach us how we have been communicating and how we can improve on the previous communication used

Nigeria starts in 1914, and before then, a few traders dealing with other ethnic groups used interpreters, which was additional cost to the traders. People rarely go outside their ethnic boundaries, therefore don't have much reasons to communicate with outsiders.

Besides, English has been using as a mean of communication to various ethnic groups in Nigeria by British about 2 centuries before amalgamation, so it is not new or allien to the country.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by immortalcrown(m): 7:52am On Dec 01, 2022
Yampotatocarrot:

Mother tongue, YES... But the minister then said it'll be the dominant language of the community where the school is located

There seem to be a mix-up
Did I say anything to mean I didn't understand what the minister said? Does pointing out the major problem mean I don't understand the little one expressed? You and others are commenting as if I don't understand the post.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by immortalcrown(m): 7:53am On Dec 01, 2022
2Radii:
So why are u bothered about an Anambra kid having his education in ondo??

Nothing changes, if he doesn't understand in Yoruba he would understand in English

Same goes for an ekiti boy having his primary education in abia..if he find it difficult to understand in Igbo, English will suffice..

Once again, having a potency to speak good English doesn't make u a brilliant man when it comes to thinking..u need to sharpen Ur thinking faculty.
And if u re saying rubbish just to get likes, then u need to grow up, many responsibilities are ahead of u.
I have made my point. It is not compulsory for you to accept it. Suit yourself.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by yemmit90: 7:57am On Dec 01, 2022
Hotice085:

The colonial lumped us together and forced English on us, but if you go over to Europe you will hardly get to see a nation with more than 3 languages and if you see the language of communication in any community is the immediate mother tongue of such community

English can be use as must for federal service while each state can make it optional

No one force anything on us, it is logical or natural for a multi- ethnic country like Nigeria to pick an official language.

Since thre is no ethnic group that commanded at least 70% of entire population, it is better and logical to chose foreign language.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 01, 2022
IranianSea:

Too far for you and you're still trooping in everyday. What go chase you, go chase you soon.
Lol. Omo, I don’t want to have this convo with you. Ya’ll think too highly of yourselves. I wouldn’t be surprised if by “Yoruba Land”, you meant Lagos. There are folks who wouldn’t leave their state of origin for yours. Like I said, I don’t want to have this conversation with you. I have no intention to move to your land, even if I had, it will take me more than 24 hours flight time to get there. It’s not worth it

I stated my opinions about the policy because that’s what I think make sense. The policy doesn’t affect me in anyway. So you should go get breakfast.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by descartes400: 8:01am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:

ADDED:
For those claiming I didn't read the post, stop acting smart when you are highly ignorant. Because I pointed out the bigger problem, you claim I didn't see the smaller problem expressed in the post. Is this how your brain works? I read the post. I then pointed out where the major issue lies. As a matter of fact, a person's mother tongue is the language of the person's ancestors, not the language of a foreign region where the person was born and raised. The mother tongue of a Yoruba person born and raised in the North is Yoruba language, not Hausa language. The keyword in the meaning of "mother tongue" is "native". Is a child born by a Yoruba couple in the North a native of Hausa? Stop fooling yourselves.

You are the one who doesn't understand my comment. The post talks about the dominant language in the children's region of residence. I commented about the children's ancestral language, which is the biggest challenge in this regard. If you don't lack common sense, you would known that what the government tackles here is not the actual problem. This is why the government always go a million miles in misleading you before you realize you are misled. Have you ever seen a child of tribe A raised in tribe B and the child knows tribe A language more than he or she knows tribe B language? Even if you have seen a child like that, the case is very rare, it less than 5%. Most of the tribe A children raised in tribe B even know tribe B language more they know the tribe A language.

Almost every child grows to naturally understand the dominant language of his or her region of residence. Every Igbo kid raised in the North is even better in Hausa language than in Igbo language. Every Yoruba kid raised in the North is good in Hausa language, or even better in Hausa language than in Yoruba language. So, has the mother tongue of a place of residence ever been a serious problem for any kid? The serious challenge kids have is being fluent in the dominant language in their place of residence while knowing just little or nothing about the dominant language of their ancestral (native) tribe.

Well articulated.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Schprobs: 8:02am On Dec 01, 2022
NimrodEndOfDays:
Aboki don come with rubbish policy grin

These slavery mentality doesn't makes u thinks at all.
Imagine u can't even write in your own language but borrow languagae
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by femtex007(m): 8:03am On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

Lol. What happens if I’m not Yoruba and we happen to live in Ile Ife and I have no desire for my child to learn Yoruba. Will the school teach my child in his own mother tongue too? The dominant language spoken in the community doesn’t make it my mother tongue
Don't you think it is an added advantage? Me am in Enugu my 5 years old son can speak Yoruba and English fluently so if they can be teaching them with Igbo. Did you think I will not be happy?
Those children can understand many languages together as they are still young.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

SS3 Student Stabs Colleague To Death In Akwa Ibom / Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why / Types Of People In An Off-Campus Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.