Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,653 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools (29066 Views)

States With The Most Unqualified Teachers In Primary Schools — Statisense / Has LASU Made Yoruba Language A Compulsory Course For Students? (Fact Check) / 'Making Love': Found In Primary School Book (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by IslamIsIdiotic: 8:03am On Dec 01, 2022
It's a dumb idea. Especially for those thinking of studying abroad.
The alleged stated objective for doing this is to encourage science by indigenising it.
The problem is science is abstract and dependent on quantitative reasoning. It is Logic and critical thinking that makes a scientist, not language.
That's why a person can be blind, deaf and dumb and still be a world class scientist.
But I'm not surprised because Nigerians are naturally unintelligent people with low IQs.
If they really wanted to encourage the take off of scientific learning, they would have invested in training more physics, chemistry, mathematics and biology teachers and they would have ensured that every school is equipped with fully functioning science laboratories.
But as usual, Nigerians have demonstrated just how much they are out of touch with reality.

ElSudani:
If true, one of the best policies to ever come out of our educational system.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by silento(m): 8:04am On Dec 01, 2022
quote author=Nwakannaya1 post=118810370]When you instruct them with the mother tongue which isn't bad in itself, I hope they would be able to communicate with others from other geolocations in their own mother's tongue.

We already have Nigerian languages in schools but making them compulsory languages of instruction has the capacity of limiting the pupils in less developed country like ours.

Since he removed sex education from curriculum, I no longer take him serious. Self-confessed failure of a minister.[/quote]

Infact china and india won't be where they are if not because they teach their younger ones with their native language
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by twosquare(m): 8:05am On Dec 01, 2022
If you don't like the language, send your kids back to the region where your language is spoken. You will go to Germany, and Japan and allow your offspring to be taught their language in school because it is "obodo Oyinbo". Don't know what is wrong with people.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 01, 2022
femtex007:

Don't you think it is an added advantage? Me am in Enugu my 5 years old son can speak Yoruba and English fluently so if they can be teaching them with Igbo. Did you think I will not be happy?
Those children can understand many languages together as they are still young.

Your son speaks English fluently because he’s been taught with English till date. They can include Igbo to the curriculum. They should teach them Igbo.

Making it the compulsory language of instruction at that level doesn’t make sense, especially when the country’s official language is English. I’d rather my child learn the official language.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Wittydreh: 8:09am On Dec 01, 2022
This people just want to destroy Nigeria entirely..... This idea is good but it shouldn't be the at the basic level (primary school)
The foundation matters most, this is the stage you can build them up with good English to meet up with the standard.
Nigeria is a crazy country.....I hate Nigeria passion

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Offpoint1: 8:10am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:

I don't like to argue with mo.rons. You are convinced your language is inferior and cannot be used for learning. The lack of confidence in your self, in your language, in your culture is exactly what your colonizer wanted. I think they did a good job on you. Stupid house slave, the chains are off but you remain in slavery nonetheless. Olodo.
What are the intrinsic values of knowing how to speak English.
Are you allowed to perform surgery on people just because you can speak English? Are you allowed to build bridges and skyscrapers just because you can speak English? Olodo lasan lasan.
My brother don't engage these people, mental slavery is the worse of all slavery.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Wittydreh: 8:10am On Dec 01, 2022
This people just want to destroy Nigeria entirely..... This idea is good but it shouldn't be the at the basic level (primary school)
The foundation matters most, this is the stage you can build them up with good English to meet up with the standard.
Nigeria is a crazy country.....I hate Nigeria with passion
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by EBENKOCITY(m): 8:12am On Dec 01, 2022
This is good. First understand that subject in your mother tongue and later write and explain it in English.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Neoteny7: 8:13am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Someone's mother tongue doesn't mean the dominant language in your region of residence. Your mother tongue is the language spoken in your ancestral village.

Like I said, read again. With your eyes open this time.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by twosquare(m): 8:13am On Dec 01, 2022
A Fulani boy whose parents want him to learn Fufulde should be schooled in Katsina or other states where it is the dominant language if the parents are hell-bent on the Fulfude or learn Annang in school. You learn the language of your host community. Parents are also responsible for teaching their language to their children at home.

DissTroy:
The question is, which of the mother tongues? Ikom LGA in Cross River, for example, has 13 languages and tribes so which of the languages should be taught?
Is a Fulani boy schooling in Ikot Ekpene expected to learn Annang instead of Fulfilde? Are there Fulfilde teachers in Ikot Ekpene to teach him in school?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by ufotunang: 8:17am On Dec 01, 2022
So how will this improve the standard of education in the primary school and education in nigeria... instead of upgrading and rehabilitating the school infrastructures..and making the school environment condusive for the students to learn and teachers to teach

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by immortalcrown(m): 8:17am On Dec 01, 2022
Neoteny7:

Like I said, read again. With your eyes open this time.
Don't read again, let your eyes remain closed.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by johnfem321: 8:18am On Dec 01, 2022
If you don’t know where you are coming from you won’t know where you are going to.. Your own language is a form of identity.. if you are been stripped of your language, culture and identity.. then who are you ? There is nothing good about using your oppressors language after hundreds of years of slavery and colonolization and current era of recolonisation and economic slavery.. it’s still slavery to be using other people language as your official language when you have your own language.. To me english is no More superior to my yoruba language.. I’m not British or english.. why should I be using their language.. I will suggest you do a quick google search for most countries and understand the solution to having multiple ethnicity or language in a countries doesn’t necessarily mean you have to use english as a solution.. countries should learn to think outside the box and be innovative.. china alone has over 300 official languages, India as about 121 languages.. are they using English?

yemmit90:

Nigeria starts in 1914, and before then, a few traders dealing with other ethnic groups used interpreters, which was additional cost to the traders. People rarely go outside their ethnic boundaries, therefore don't have much reasons to communicate with outsiders.

Besides, English has been using as a mean of communication to various ethnic groups in Nigeria by British about 2 centuries before amalgamation, so it is not new or allien to the country.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by miketayo(m): 8:20am On Dec 01, 2022
Samantha123:
We have eleven official languages.

And National language?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by 2Radii: 8:21am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
I have made my point. It is not compulsory for you to accept it. Suit yourself.
grin grin

Which nonsense point?? grin

Offpoint official grin
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sweetvie: 8:21am On Dec 01, 2022
nony43:

Travel and see.
Leave am grin grin

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by blaise26abj(m): 8:22am On Dec 01, 2022
CharleyBright:

The problem with most southerners is that we continually fail to realise that the North has never embark on a policy without a plan that serves her interest.
To what purpose is this very Mumu policy? Is it to unite the already disunited Nigeria that Buhari caused?
Nigeria has over 500 native languages. If every child has to be taught in their mother tongue, how is that possible for teachers to do that when the ratio of teacher to pupils is 1: 30 at the very least in public schools??

In what way will mother tongue help develop the country?

Besides, the North has an almost uniformed Hausa language while the South is much more diversified . So the policy will favor the North.
What will happen is that Hausa language will become the only language used to teach in schools in the North, and any one who doesn't understand Hausa is left in the dark.

Make una think well and analyze issues before una support.
The North plan well and execute policies to their advantage, the southern people always foolishly support and later cry foul when they realise their folly.

You fail to see the bigger picture . The more attractive education is for the North and the policy leading to more enrolment , the better for nigeria .

The south will do just fine . Even if they say the kids should learn Mandarin as a compulsory course , they will easily do. The southern kids are a brilliant bunch . Also Children can learn other languages easily . Nothing bad in learning another language . It improves intelligence .
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sweetvie: 8:23am On Dec 01, 2022
This is a nice move but the problem is most pupils will find it hard to speak english. smiley
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by 8stargeneral: 8:23am On Dec 01, 2022
Nice if they would handle it properly....create enable environment for it
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by twosquare(m): 8:24am On Dec 01, 2022
That should tell you that no matter how much you want to become oyinbo, they will still cast disdain at you? Are we not an English-speaking country? Yet they don't consider us as speakers and slammed on us IELTS for their own profit? Then, what is the benefit?

They still give the Chinese more respect and Koreans, and Japenese access to their countries than us who carry it for head..

That shows that when you have economic power, and something to offer, the world will respect you irrespective of the language you speak.

So, I say it is a good policy...if we are to go back to region, it should be upgraded to the Max level. Nonsense.
uchman:
That's rubbish!
When we are still struggling to be recognised as English speakers.
Take South Africans as an example, all countries recognise them as English speakers and they are given equal opportunities as the Americans, UK, Australia and other English speakers, they are even regarded as English speakers more than Canadians which has French and English speakers.
Most South Africans takes up ESL jobs all over the world and that in turns reduces unemployment in their country, the few countries that recognises us as English speakers are only Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong and Cambodia for ESL jobs. South Africans are enjoying the same privilege like the Americans and Brits.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by jcross19: 8:24am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:

The whole of Nigeria can do better when it comes to education. The north is a little bit behind agreed. But, there are many reasons for this not just religion.
their religion forbid them of western education because of such orientation they are not serious with education only the few, they takes the religion so extreme!!.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Lionnation: 8:26am On Dec 01, 2022
ZKOSOSO:
That's not the meaning of Mother tonight. Hope that are trying to send Hausafulanikanuri teachers to the whole country o
not what he said read again
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by almarthins(m): 8:26am On Dec 01, 2022
Ofunaofu:
grin

He said even though the policy has officially taken effect, it can only be fully implemented when government develops instructional materials and qualified teachers are available.

I didn't even read the statement. But I was 100percent sure they are joking.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Allisgud: 8:28am On Dec 01, 2022
They shoud also make policy in workplace also,Incase u run out of English u can back it up with ur mother tongue
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Theoarhics: 8:31am On Dec 01, 2022
The first time this govt ever made sense about any policy. Local language is drastically dying this is one of the best ways to sustain our mother tongues.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by DissTroy(m): 8:33am On Dec 01, 2022
twosquare:
A Fulani boy whose parents want him to learn Fufulde should be schooled in Katsina or other states where it is the dominant language if the parents are hell-bent on the Fulfude or learn Annang in school. You learn the language of your host community. Parents are also responsible for teaching their language to their children at home.

Hasn't this always been the case over the years? In Lagos and Ogun States, Yoruba has always been taught in schools, and parents or guardians responsible for teaching wards their languages at home.

The FGN is just stating the obvious to score a cheap point as a ministerial achievement.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sweetvie: 8:38am On Dec 01, 2022
johnfem321:
If [/b]you don’t know where you are coming from you won’t know where you are going to.. Your own language is a form of identity.. if you are been stripped of your language, culture and identity.. then who are you ?[b] There is nothing good about using your oppressors language after hundreds of years of slavery and colonolization and current era of recolonisation and economic slavery.. it’s still slavery to be using other people language as your official language when you have your own language.. To me english is no More superior to my yoruba language.. I’m not British or english.. why should I be using their language.. I will suggest you do a quick google search for most countries and understand the solution to having multiple ethnicity or language in a countries doesn’t necessarily mean you have to use english as a solution.. countries should learn to think outside the box and be innovative.. china alone has over 300 official languages, India as about 121 languages.. are they using English?

@bolded I totally agree with you
There was a time I can't speak my own language ( not still good tho') when people asked me what tribe i am I'll be like am a Yoruba and they'll asked me again can you speak it am gonna be like No
That's a huge slap on my face
It just like i lost myself or don't even know who I am. So I think it a nice gesture from FG.
I disagree with you on the second part. English is not abt you giving in to oppressors or colonization it abt been able to speak when ur mate are speaking. Most country u stated ain't colonized by british. Av you visit india b4? Do you know they're good in English?.
See, both language av their advantages
So I think it better for kids to be good in both.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Spiritualizt: 8:38am On Dec 01, 2022
I believe that educational reform in Nigerian schools is long overdue, beginning with the usage of our local dialect or language, such as pidgin, to make it easier for children to understand. The Chinese implemented educational reforms in 1982 to improve literacy to 68% by reforming and simplifying a new language known as Pinyin. Second, the act of privatizing our academic institutions is unacceptable and is damaging the public school system whilst also mentioning the fact that these public school systems produce these politicians. Our schools require immediate intervention.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by GloriousGbola: 8:39am On Dec 01, 2022
My last child is in a school in lagos where there are over 50 tribes easy.

What will they be taught in?

There are over 250 tribes in Nigeria. Do these jokers think that we are actually going to write maths books in edo, urhobo, kanuri, ebira etal?

This is just an aboki looking for a magic wand to bring education to the region.

As usual the people supporting this are the first in a hurry to run to countries where their language is not spoken

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Jamesbiodun(m): 8:39am On Dec 01, 2022
They call our mother tongue vernacular angry
White are damning
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by adecz: 8:48am On Dec 01, 2022
These aboki people want to take
everyone back to the pre-colonial days.❌❌
It is also an attempt to slow down
Southern educational progress and
allow the north to try to catch up .

Their own children have all schooled
or are schooling abroad, but they want
children of the common man to go
and sing "Baa , baa black sheep" in
Urhobo, Tiv, Bachama, Yoruba or Nupe❗️❗️

The northern Muslims ruling this country
are using style to introduce Boko haram
ideology into Nigerian educational system,
which say Western education is a sin☪️☪️☪️

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by hush15: 8:51am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, how a Yoruba kid in the North will be able to learn Yoruba language properly in the North.

ADDED:
For those claiming I didn't read the post, stop acting smart when you are highly ignorant. Because I pointed out the bigger problem, you claim I didn't see the smaller problem expressed in the post. Is this how your brain works? I read the post. I then pointed out where the major issue lies. As a matter of fact, a person's mother tongue is the language of the person's ancestors, not the language of a foreign region where the person was born and raised. The mother tongue of a Yoruba person born and raised in the North is Yoruba language, not Hausa language. The keyword in the meaning of "mother tongue" is "native". Is a child born by a Yoruba couple in the North a native of Hausa? Stop fooling yourselves.

You are the one who doesn't understand my comment. The post talks about the dominant language in the children's region of residence. I commented about the children's ancestral language, which is the biggest challenge in this regard. If you don't lack common sense, you would have known that what the government tackles here is not the actual problem. This is why the government always goes a million miles in misleading you before you realize you are misled. Have you ever seen a child of tribe A raised in tribe B and the child knows tribe A language more than he or she knows tribe B language? Even if you have seen a child like that, the case is very rare, it is less than 5%. Most of the tribe A children raised in tribe B even know tribe B language more they know the tribe A language.

Almost every child grows to naturally understand the dominant language of his or her region of residence. Every Igbo kid raised in the North is even better in Hausa language than in Igbo language. Every Yoruba kid raised in the North is good in Hausa language, or even better in Hausa language than in Yoruba language. So, has the mother tongue of a place of residence ever been a serious problem for any kid? The serious challenge kids have is being fluent in the dominant language in their place of residence while knowing just little or nothing about the dominant language of their ancestral (native) tribe. The bigger problem I pointed is absolutely in line with the smaller problem expressed in this post. So, why are people replying me as if my comment is off-point or illogical? Tụfịakwa!

I think you got it wrong. This is not about teaching language, it is about being taught in the language that's predominant in that area. For example, if you are of yourba parent but schools in Kano, your subjects will likely be taught in hausa be it maths, music or even English will be taught in the local language there. Same goes for a northerner that schools in the east and so on. While it is commendable, there are also short comings because we don't have a universal local language like English which is a native language to the citizen of UK irrespective of where the person comes from in the UK, be it Britain, Scotland, Wales or even Northern Ireland. Also, the challenge is creating instructional materials and learning aids in that local language because, at the moment, there isn't much materials out there in indigenous languages. So it is an opportunity for local writers and translators to start and they will make money in this.

I don't agree with many things about this government but when I see a good move, I have to support it cos I know it will benefit majority of young children who don't find education fun because they struggle with English and for those that study all their life in English, they still have to write test of English as a foreign language when they need to experience western culture when they don't write any of language test to experience our own culture.

In conclusion, we need to give this policy a shot and I will put it in the pass book of this government if the can get it rolling, not one of their failed plans and I believe if we do it right, it will be beneficial.

I come in peace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Student Dies Few Hours To His Last Exam (Pic) / Disclaimer! The Miraculous FUTO Owerri Water Actually Came From Broken Pipeline! / Imo State University Imsu Admission First List Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.