Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends (17723 Views)

Protest Rocks UNN As VC, Prof. Charles Igwe Increases School Fees By 100% (Video / Lagos State University Increases School Fees By 120 Percent For New Students / Covenant University Increases School Fees For International Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by Emmaxy9(m): 1:24pm On Dec 02, 2022
nedekid:

Are you minding them? If they don't want to attend they should give chance for those willing to pay. Imagine 120k for law, 100k or so for medicine etc some courses sef 85k in a whole federal university!
Those paying 2.4m for law and 5m for medicine nko in private universities, wount it be a thing of joy if they are told to pay eg 500k in federal uni?
It's the way you guys reason that baffles me. Do Nigerians earn in Dollars? So why comparing the school fees to dollars? Why bring it in the first place if not for your "suffering mentality" that is peculiar to most Nigerians.

If you want to keep the comparisons then why not compare the salary of doctors in US to that in Nigeria. Why not ask the fg to pay doctors in Nigeria $500k per year?

Ignorance coupled with witless pretense.

1 Like

Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 02, 2022
Nwodosis:
grin Somebody has been jobbing me with his school fees, now breeze done blow.

Abegi calm down bro...that year na per semester we dey collect the fees. Maybe the somebody is also paying per semester. It's just school stress cool
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by emorse(m): 1:32pm On Dec 02, 2022
casppyjay:
ok but the countries u mention have educational grants/student loans and even free education juxtapose that..
Even more reasons why they can afford to pay higher in those countries.
You see bro, there are too many factors working against the average Nigerian. Low cost education is supposed to help to raise a large number of intellectuals who will help design solutions to our problems. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked thus far.

The cost of education, albeit low quality, is already beyond the reach of many as it is. Raising it will only take it beyond many more. In the end, the difference will simply be the same. We won't have enough quality intellectuals to help design solutions to our problems.

The solution to this and many more of our problems lies in the strength of our economy. A stronger economy will definitely affect other aspects of our lives without even trying.
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by emorse(m): 1:41pm On Dec 02, 2022
Emmaxy9:

It's the way you guys reason that baffles me. Do Nigerians earn in Dollars? So why comparing the school fees to dollars? Why bring it in the first place if not for your "suffering mentality" that is peculiar to most Nigerians.

If you want to keep the comparisons then why not compare the salary of doctors in US to that in Nigeria. Why not ask the fg to pay doctors in Nigeria $500k per year?

Ignorance coupled with witless pretense.
If you were a bit liberal in your views, you would realise that you're making my point exactly. Nigerians get trained for cheap only to start comparing themselves with their counterparts in the west. If you want to earn like the westerners, why not pay as much as they do to get trained?

By the way, you see the way I replied you without any word of insult? It's actually intentional and should tell you a lot about how to have a simple yet constructive debate. Cheers!
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 02, 2022
How most people are saying the increment is cheap still baffles me. Maybe y'all are from well to do homes. Bear it in mind that most students in Federal schools come from poor or struggling middle class homes. Where are their parents going to get the money from?. Is it with the miserable minimum wage FG is paying them. Many students even sponsor themselves while at school.
Supporters of this especially those ones that equalled the fees to how much it is in dollars, should please open a gofundme account to sponsor some of the students affected since you all can comfortably afford 125 dollars.
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by nedekid: 1:58pm On Dec 02, 2022
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by Slimwhyt(m): 2:01pm On Dec 02, 2022
Omo! This is not good. My Alma Mata
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by nedekid: 2:04pm On Dec 02, 2022
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by chukel(m): 2:38pm On Dec 02, 2022
Last I checked, tuition fee in federal universities is free. Give a comprehensive breakdown of these fees. You will be shocked to see it has nothing to do with tuition. Tuition is federal government controlled. But FG can't direct or instruct the school on other fees. This is the reason for disparity in fees across federal universities in the country. While the north has low fees, the South especially south East and south south have very high fees. These are as a result of policies of the vice chancellors who are always indigenes.
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by Kento4ken: 3:35pm On Dec 02, 2022
Bvmsson:

Faculties of social sciences, VTE, Agriculture sciences, Education and Arts will now pay #110,000(1st years) #85,000(other years) #83,000(final years)

Faculties of business administration and Environmental science will now pay #114,000, #85,000, #83,000

Faculties of physical sciences and biological sciences will now pay #112,000, #85,000, #83,000

Faculty of Engineering will now pay #116,000
,#85,000, #83,000

Faculties of Law and vet. medicine will now pay #119,000, #95,000, #92,000

Faculties of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Health sciences and Basic Medical Sciences will now pay #120,000, #95,000, #92,000

Bros.
he cheap � Na..
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by nedekid: 4:16pm On Dec 02, 2022
Maryjane001:
How most people are saying the increment is still cheap still baffles me. Maybe y'all are from well to do homes. Bear it in mind that most students in Federal schools come from poor or struggling middle class homes. Where are their parents going to get the money from?. Is it with the miserable minimum wage FG is paying them. Many students even sponsor themselves while at school.

Supporters of this especially those ones that equalled the fees to how much it is in dollars, should please open a gofundme account to sponsor some of the students affected since you all can comfortably afford 125 dollars.

The schools should increase fees to maintain sanity, quality.
Government on its own part could setup student loan banks, that will make fees and basic allowances available to be paid over long term.
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by scobaba: 10:43pm On Dec 02, 2022
I remember my 4 years school fee in UNN Accountancy dept between 2001-2005.

First year 4,350
Second year 1,350
Third year 1,350

Final year( was increased and we went on strike for 4 months but It stood) 11,250.
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by thatsleepboy1: 11:56pm On Dec 02, 2022
Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by Bvmsson(m): 11:58pm On Dec 02, 2022
thatsleepboy1:

I'm in fuoye and we pay higher. Freshers alone pay more than 200k.

It's because it is new relative to old schools like UNN that has being in existence since 1960

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNN Increases School Fees By 100%, As #JusticeForUNNstudents Trends by Jenisameangal(f): 9:50am On Dec 03, 2022
casualobserver:

Those who are going to raise thee quality of the universities will not be attracted to the universities that cannot afford to attract the best lecturers. You attract the best lecturers by having the best infrastructure, teaching facilities, research funding and remuneration. All of these need funding. Since govt cannot provide funding, the next logical step is tuition.

Forget infrastructure, Unn has the worst you can think of. So many uncompleted buildings just litter the school environment. They just want to increase their fees, cuz they won't pay lecturers neither would they hire new lecturers or even think of building new infrastructures.....they should first complete the ones the have
Let me not even get started about their hostels sef

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaduna Orders Closure Of 13 Schools Because Of Kidnapping / Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? / Couple Injured As Soldiers Smash LASPOTECH Workers’ Strike (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.