Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,290 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State (89256 Views)

Lady Stays In The Same Room With Her Husband's Corpse For 3 Days In Ogun (Video) / Eddy Omodiaogbe Missing In Ogun (Photo) / Checkout This Viral Family of 6 Photoshoot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Lukuluku69(m): 3:14pm On Dec 04, 2022
ebuka1511:

Good because growing up in the village, I had had occasions I drew up dead wall geckos from our well which we drink and use in cooking. What I do is just discard the water and dead geckos, lower my bucket and continue fetching my water from same source

Of course!

What I posted are just what I heard people saying about them generally. You know the Gecko giving those thin long marks on ones body? It is really common among the Yorubas that it is the Gecko making those marks when one is asleep.

As a kid, you just believe what some elders says sometimes. You went to bed, without those marks, then awake with them on your body. So, what do you believe? Something made that mark and the scapegoat in this case is the Gecko, so kill it when you see one!

As for the poison thing, you never really can say for sure. Do you know Komodo Dragon? For ages, it is believed that they are not posionous. That they just dart their prey with their forked tongue and injecting some venom but Reaserch have proved that they are not poisonous but inject Bacteria on their preys with a bite. The bacteria do the killing slowly while the giant Lizard feast.

I have seen Chicken eat Geckos of all sizes and they (the Chicken live).

But in order not to have stories that touches, I usually eradicate them from my living spaces. They could be dangerous vectors you know
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by thwy31(m): 3:21pm On Dec 04, 2022
Had a similar experience with okro soup ish, 3 out of 4 got seriously affected, chronic stomach ache, rushed to hospital for medical help. The doctor diagnosed food poisoning, h0owever, we dont know if it was caused by wall gecko in any form, definitely not found dead in the soup but we have them in-house like most household. Mystery unsolved....but thank God for life.
mukanJohno:
This stupid wall gecko almost wiped out my entire family last year when it pooped on my chicken okro stew n we innocently ate it.

The only person that wasn't affect was my lil son.

I would advise everyone to always close their food,and pls endeavor not to pick any food that touches the floor of your house back into your mouth.

Even roaches too are another culprits
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by JOemmy(m): 3:28pm On Dec 04, 2022
ibechris:
Full Text
A viral message surfaced on WhatsApp urging Nigerians to put a mixture of salt and garlic in the corners of their rooms to eradicate wall gecko, with the story that a wall gecko fell into a pot of soup prepared by a housewife in Nigeria unknown to her and killed the woman and her nine children after eating the soup.

It reads, “Slippery House Lizard known as Wall Gecko also called Omonle in Yoruba fell into a pot of soup prepared by a housewife in Nigeria unknowingly and it killed the woman and her 9 children after eating.

“Another woman who prepared Tea in a kettle which the gecko fell into, all the family that drank the tea died.

“Please ensure your food, cooked or raw is tightly closed as this animal is highly poisonous, it also goes with “aljanus” (jinns) – verifiable.

Therefore do everything possible to get rid of this dangerous animal from your home.”

The claim particularly notes that “the reptile goes with jinns and it’s highly poisonous and it is verifiable.” Dubawa opted to verify the authenticity of this claim.

Verification
A keyword search revealed that the claim has been in circulation since 2017, as a news item in Nigeria, the Sun Newspaper categorically alerted Nigerians to kill wall geckos because investigation has shown that the reptile is harmful.

The newspaper warned vividly: “Ordinarily, the skin of the gecko is highly poisonous…To eradicate it in your home, just mix salt and garlic and put mixture in different corners of your room. You will never see them again.”

A response on 9 May 2018 from Udonsi Eke on Nature Cures Initiative Facebook post questioned the credibility of the claim “But I remember eating a wall gecko that was roasted just to make me stop bedwetting in my childhood days. So is this information true?”
Are wall geckos truly harmful?
Animal diversity website describes a wall gecko as a tree-living terrestrial species, living in human-populated areas. A reptile that originated from Southeast Asia but is currently found almost everywhere across the globe. It says wall geckos occur on buildings, mostly near artificial lighting because they are nocturnal insectivores.

With the simple description of this uninvolved reptile that feeds mainly on insects, Dubawa felt the urge to get the thought of an expert, Mrs. Emudiare Tailobi, a zoologist from the University of Jos.

“Wall geckos aren’t venomous, that’s a fact,” Mrs. Emudiare said over the phone, adding that although they can carry some harmful bacteria in their mouths that are detrimental to human health, the reptile is naturally harmless.

Mrs. Tialobi explained that “Wall geckos are not toxic, but they may have picked up harmful bacterias that in large amounts can cause harm to humans.”

Dubawa went further to get more insight from a biologist, Mrs. Nanchin Winifred Kazeh from Leventis Ornithological Research Institute (APLORI) Jos-east Laminga via WhatsApp, and she affirmed that wall geckos are not poisonous
Is it true that the salt and garlic mixture can eradicate wall geckos?
A conversation with a biologist/ornithologist, Nanchin Winifred Kazeh of A. P. Leventis Ornithological Research Institute (APLORI), Jos-east on WhatsApp revealed that the smell of garlic and salt mixture wards off wall geckos.

Mrs. Kazeh said that wall geckos feed on insects such as lizards, nectars, and spiders. And since light attracts insects, wall geckos are found on buildings with artificial lighting, as it helps them spot their prey easily.

“The wall geckos play a very important role in balancing the ecosystem. Yes, their appearance scares most people, but all the protective measures put up by humans only aid the reptile to adapt well to the environment. Wall geckos are important and useful to humans,” Kazeh added.

While urging Nigerians to dismiss outrageous claims, and instead learn to read properly, know the source, and ask appropriate questions, the ornithologist outlined two fun facts which include:

Conservationist fun facts
1. Did you know that natural or human disturbances have resulted in more eggs being laid by the wall geckos?

Implication; the more we disturb them with our garlic and salt mixtures and try to kill them, the more they multiply

2. Did you know that female wall geckos can store sperm for up to a year? This is a trait that likely aids the species’ transportability and invasion success.

Conclusion
Verification has shown that wall geckos are not poisonous as contained in a viral WhatsApp message; instead, they play an important role in balancing the ecosystem. Even though the garlic and salt mixture can scare wall geckos, it will only increase its production.

The researcher produced this fact-check per the 2021 Kwame Karikari Fact-checking Fellowship partnership with JAY 101.9 FM Jos to facilitate the ethos of truth in journalism and enhance media literacy in the country.

Interesting write-up so are saying all those people that died didn't actually die from wall gecko poisoning?
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by JOemmy(m): 3:29pm On Dec 04, 2022
capnies:
LIES
WHEN I WAS IN SECONDARY SCHOOL WALL GECKO FELL INTO OUR POT OF YAM PORRIDGE IN BOARDING HOUSE, INFACT ONE OF MY DINNING TABLE MATE CHEWED THE GECKO THINKING IT WAS FISH BEFORE WE GOT TO KNOW, NOT EVEN A STOMACH PAIN

Wow just wow are u kidding me?
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by daveahead: 4:06pm On Dec 04, 2022
Chai, something isn't clear yet about the story.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by ibrocool(m): 4:36pm On Dec 04, 2022
I and my family members would have died if not for the grace of God.

So many years ago, my mum just finished preparing dinner. I happened to be the first person to take my food. As I was scaling the chunk of meats, I saw two dead wall gecko.

We had to drink garri that night. I kept thanking God for my oju kokoro because it saved us all that day.

1 Like

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Smartbezzy2(m): 5:31pm On Dec 04, 2022
Mmaduise:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theeagle.com.ng/breaking-wall-gecko-wipes-out-family-of-six-at-once/%3famp=1
Them never wan talk true watin kill them,I don't believe this wall gheko story
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by TUFFSS: 6:59pm On Dec 04, 2022
Innocent animal
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Testimony1988(m): 7:04pm On Dec 04, 2022
I have never wasted any time in killing that useless animal where ever it's found around me, don't know it's that dangerous like that.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Onyiiobi7735(m): 10:15pm On Dec 04, 2022
Cullinane:
Go to school mumu. It is people like you that are holding Nigeria and Africa back.
Lol! Laughing in Hokkien Chinese.Ewww! I can feel your pain, crybaby.Why are you taking my comment so personal, like the sentimental fool you are?
Keep crying,dear.Love it when you do, idiot of a mumu.And please it's like you are not following the drug dosage given to you for your mental disorder,or that the drugs have been exhausted.
Please hurry and get another dosage from your doctor, before you have another fit of madness, which can be in a market or workplace.
Stupid demented frustrated slowpoke who is as useless as a tissue paper used to clean the ass after toilet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Onyiiobi7735(m): 10:18pm On Dec 04, 2022
Someodds:

Maggot brain damaged by religious sentiments
Lol! Maggot drain damaged by unnecessary sentiment.Why are you taking my comment personal like this, you this compound complex sentimental fool?
Please go and take your drugs for your mental disorder, regularly,or if exhausted,get another dosage from your doctor.
Stupid demented, saliva drooling madman.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Onyiiobi7735(m): 10:22pm On Dec 04, 2022
Hopebringer:

Shut up
Another sentimental fool on the beat.Lol! Laughing in Malay.
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by Thazard(m): 11:51pm On Dec 04, 2022
Richy4:
Nigerian post-mortem examination always comes out within 2mins of someone's demise or minutes after the discovery of someone's death ...

The pathologists are always the onlookers, gatekeepers, beer parlour patrons, market women and elders in council... embarassed
Re: Wall Gecko Wipes Out Family Of Six In Ogun State by galantjoe(m): 2:09am On Dec 05, 2022
When I was about 10yo. I did eat wall gesko. It is used to heal catarh and cough. We used to roast on the fire before eating

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Father Flogs Daughter For Posting Nude Videos On Instagram / Dying Husband Leaves House, Cars For Wife, Gifts His Company & $726m To His Maid / Kwara Blue Eyes Family: Risikat Azeez-Ayegbami Speaks "My Husband Abandoned Us"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.