Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,138 members, 7,821,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

The Pagan Christ - A Book Review - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Pagan Christ - A Book Review (404 Views)

Is Jesus Christ A God Or A Prophet / Don't Let Anyone Lie To You That Christmas Is A Pagan Festival / Daddy Freeze: Celebrating Christmas, Is Celebrating A Pagan God's Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 12:11pm On Dec 04, 2022
"The very thing which is now called the Christian religion existed among the ancients also, nor was it wanting from the inception of the human race until the coming of Christ in the flesh, at which point the true religion, which was already in existence, began to be called Christian."

– ST. AUGUSTINE, Retractiones

To aid in our research of the historicity of Jesus and the true origins of Christianity, Sonmvayina and myself are undertaking a study of this thought provoking book - The Pagan Christ written by Tom Hapur.

This is going to be interesting journey as we will share our thoughts from each chapter.

Feel free to join us by taking the time to read through the book yourself.

Knowlege is power.

CC: Sonmvayina

1 Like

Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by sonmvayina(m): 12:21pm On Dec 04, 2022
Thanks, will start reading it immediately, but I find this review on it very intriguing..
A Provocative Read
Reviewed in the United States on May 29, 2006
It is said that the most powerful thing on Earth is an idea, and Tom Harpur has tapped into the idea of "God within", that runs like an underground river in the mystical branches of the Abrahamic religions of our time, and on the surface of ancient religions and modern Eastern spirituality. Harpur ladles out a generous cup of this enlightenment and offers it to a spiritually parched mankind.

Gnosticism claims that all men have a spark of divinity within, and that enlightened religion involves developing this divinity and manifesting it in the world. The connections to ancient Egyptian sources are documented by authors Massey and Kuhn, and are used to show where many Biblical ideas may have come from. I would have added Sumerian, Mesopotamian, Babylonian, and the Greek Mystery religions to this, although one might argue that they had a common source.

Whether or not authors Massey and Kuhn are historically accurate, the "God within" theme is a mythologically based spirituality that can empower humans. Egyptian religion developed many powerful ideas in it's long history, and it's libraries were an important source of learning and diffusion of ideas.

Harpur makes the point that religion has too often used literal interpretation of scripture to justify hate and war. He offers the "God within" alternative as a fruitful way to break through the tribalism of modern religions into inclusiveness.

The Jesus story may well be a mythological reenactment of an older stories. As several authors have pointed out, there are few aspects of his story that can't be found in the various mythologies of the dying and resurrecting God/men in previous religions. The idea of a Creator God putting a spark of divinity into humans may also be mythological, but does speak to human aspiration to goodness in a way that both the religious person and the heretic can relate to. I would prefer to think of such a spark as "Godlike" rather than God endowed. All the same,The Pagan Christ is a provocative read.

1 Like

Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by guysbewise: 12:23pm On Dec 04, 2022
Hope to find the audio of this book on youtube
Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 12:36pm On Dec 04, 2022
sonmvayina:
Thanks, will start reading it immediately, but I find this review on it very intriguing..
A Provocative Read
Reviewed in the United States on May 29, 2006
It is said that the most powerful thing on Earth is an idea, and Tom Harpur has tapped into the idea of "God within", that runs like an underground river in the mystical branches of the Abrahamic religions of our time, and on the surface of ancient religions and modern Eastern spirituality. Harpur ladles out a generous cup of this enlightenment and offers it to a spiritually parched mankind.

Gnosticism claims that all men have a spark of divinity within, and that enlightened religion involves developing this divinity and manifesting it in the world. The connections to ancient Egyptian sources are documented by authors Massey and Kuhn, and are used to show where many Biblical ideas may have come from. I would have added Sumerian, Mesopotamian, Babylonian, and the Greek Mystery religions to this, although one might argue that they had a common source.

Whether or not authors Massey and Kuhn are historically accurate, the "God within" theme is a mythologically based spirituality that can empower humans. Egyptian religion developed many powerful ideas in it's long history, and it's libraries were an important source of learning and diffusion of ideas.

Harpur makes the point that religion has too often used literal interpretation of scripture to justify hate and war. He offers the "God within" alternative as a fruitful way to break through the tribalism of modern religions into inclusiveness.

The Jesus story may well be a mythological reenactment of an older stories. As several authors have pointed out, there are few aspects of his story that can't be found in the various mythologies of the dying and resurrecting God/men in previous religions. The idea of a Creator God putting a spark of divinity into humans may also be mythological, but does speak to human aspiration to goodness in a way that both the religious person and the heretic can relate to. I would prefer to think of such a spark as "Godlike" rather than God endowed. All the same,The Pagan Christ is a provocative read.

I feel it's intrigue.

It is hightime people started looking within, instead of focusing on external forces.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 12:39pm On Dec 04, 2022
guysbewise:
Hope to find the audio of this book on youtube

I'm not sure you can find an audio on Youtube.

There is a documentary about the book on YouTube.

I guess you can find an audio recording of the book on Audible.
Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by guysbewise: 12:58pm On Dec 04, 2022
oteneaaron:

I'm not sure you can find an audio on Youtube.

There is a documentary about the book on YouTube.

I guess you can find an audio recording of the book on Audible.

Sure, thanks for the info
Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 7:25am On Dec 17, 2022
Hey Sonmvayina, how have you been?

Sincere apologies for not coming through with the book study, I've been busy at work but we have rounded up for the year.

I currently have more time on my hands, and will begin sharing my learnings from the book.

How about you, have you far along are you in the book?

1 Like

Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 7:32am On Dec 17, 2022
Chapter One is titled - DISCOVERY - A Bible Story I'd Never Heard Before

While studying this chapter, I took notes of paragraphs and quotes that I found interesting and thought provoking.

I will be sharing these with you.

From time to time, I will share my personal thoughts on some the notes I share.

Chapter one started with this quote from JOHN DOMINIC CROSSAN, author of the book - Who Is Jesus?

"My point,once again, is not that those ancient people told literal stories and we are now smart enough to take them symbolically,but that they told them symbolically and we are now dumb enough to take them literally."

2 Likes

Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by HellVictorinho6(m): 6:45am On Dec 21, 2022
oteneaaron:
"The very thing which is now called the Christian religion existed among the ancients also, nor was it wanting from the inception of the human race until the coming of Christ in the flesh, at which point the true religion, which was already in existence, began to be called Christian."

To aid in our research of the historicity of Jesus and the true origins of Christianity, Sonmvayina and myself are undertaking a study of this thought provoking book - The Pagan Christ written by Tom Hapur.

This is going to be interesting journey as we will share our thoughts from each chapter.

Knowlege is power.

It's been awhile.

I know you weren't expecting this.

But December has been very terrible for me.

I will appreciate any amount of money you can help me with
Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by HellVictorinho6(m): 6:58am On Dec 21, 2022
oteneaaron:

Knowlege is power.

In case you want to send an email,my email address is xyz429555@gmail.com.

The one in my profile is for another person.

I used it when my phone was damaged through another person's phone.
Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 8:48am On Dec 21, 2022
HellVictorinho6:

It's been awhile.

I know you weren't expecting this.

But December has been very terrible for me.

I will appreciate any amount of money you can help me with

I can only imagine bro.

Let's see how it goes.

I should be able to send you my widows might.

Do you have a laptop?

If yes, I can help you get started in the tech industry - this coming year.
Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by HellVictorinho6(m): 10:09am On Dec 21, 2022
oteneaaron:

I can only imagine bro.

Let's see how it goes.

Do you have a laptop?

I only have this phone I managed to get fixed on Monday.

I will appreciate any money you help me with.

Am getting mentally exhausted.

You can still introduce me to the tech industry....... I might be able to use my phone.

I don't want to have suicidal thoughts overwhelming my head.
Re: The Pagan Christ - A Book Review by HellVictorinho6(m): 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2022
oteneaaron:

I can only imagine bro.

Let's see how it goes.

Do you have a laptop?

Let me know when to drop account details

Thanks in advance

(1) (Reply)

Now Am In Lagos, What's Next / Naira Scarcity: I'm Hungry, Give Me My Tithe Back Man Begs Dunamis Church [Video / Why Did Jesus Say John Is The Greatest Prophet Among The OT Prophets?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.