Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,673 members, 7,820,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) (33924 Views)

Who Else Notice This On Nairaland. Picture Attached / Man Opposes Taxing The Rich Because He Believes One Day He Could Win Big In ‘bab / I Killed Two Snakes The Same Day In My Room. Is It Spirituality Attached? (Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by snoopz: 7:07pm On Dec 06, 2022
That's reasonable considering it's annual fee
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by pocohantas(f): 7:09pm On Dec 06, 2022
GloriousGbola:

The fact that he had to make a transfer tells you it is more ogboju shakedown that actual revenue collection. Money for some govt touts to waste in the beer palor or ashi joints

Lmao! As they should. Chop life before life chop you. grin grin
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by zanshi: 7:12pm On Dec 06, 2022
Brendaniel:
I want to believe Nigerian SME's are the most taxed in the world, this one even has receipt, the unofficial taxation is even more than the official one, I've seen where agebros are counting the number of customers coming to buy from a trader to collect their own settlement for the day (this was an apple seller) no receipt for the payment, funny thing was there was police just beside them, the trader said he equally settled the police before he started selling.

The bad part is the tax payers don't see the benefits - please vote wisely in 2023

Back in 2018 ish i once tackled some tax collectors who went to a fruit seller shop to go collect tax dues i suppose they were from revenue office. I said "If you don't know how much this woman earns, they you taxing her is illegal. They were shocked as to how some young folk could challenge them.

The best type of taxation still remains that of Eastern Europe, it is not enough for regulators to come and second guess how much they feel they can tax you without you having a consensus agreement if it is inline with what your business can afford to stay afloat. When i was in my final year in Uni while studying economics, we examined some eastern European companies in the USSR bloc where taxation was done in a roundtable agreement between the business person/entity vs regulators on how much they can conveniently pay, in doing that tax evasion not suffice.
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Cantonese: 7:13pm On Dec 06, 2022
OP, please do not deceive those who do not have knowledge of what “signage” is all about.

Looking at what was posted, OP was wrongly insinuating that Rivers signage board was taxing POS operators for doing their businesses, rather than that they were being taxed for adverts.

In Lagos state there is LASAA, (with their headquarters at Alausa), that is in charge of adverts. Signage refers to advertisements by companies, irrespective of size or capacity. When you advertise using billboards, banners, signboards, electronic or printed, you will be taxed. You are expected to pay, otherwise your board will be removed. That’s what happens in Lagos, just like other states. Lagosians pay it without complain.

OP is simply being mischievous and the gullible have fallen for it. If Lagos legitimately raises revenue from LASAA, why is it illegal to raise revenue by the same method in Rivers state? I saw the receipt posted there clearly showing Rivers Signage.

The charge is perfectly legal.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by iLegendd(m): 7:14pm On Dec 06, 2022
Hmm

The comment above explains it better.
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by 27Pushing30: 7:14pm On Dec 06, 2022
ictplotter:

Are you mad?
What are they making that Government need to tax instead of supporting them. Or you don't know it's funstration that lead one into such a business.
Same Government of Rivers employed 300 thousands polling SSA without doing nothing but being pay monthly salary with same suffering individual tax payer money.
By the time everybody becomes Agbero and kidnapper I will know who those idiots will tax to feed fat.

Who is this illiterate??
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by otokx(m): 7:18pm On Dec 06, 2022
All comments reserved.
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by LOVEGINO(m): 7:23pm On Dec 06, 2022
Offpoint1:
Once I start any offline business in Nigeria, the first thing I will buy is AK47. I shoot any official AT SIGHT.

Na me dey fuel gen for my business
Na me dey supply myself water
Na me dey pay rent,
No better road for my street to enable easy access to my business,
You tax Landlord, which mean say I dey pay indirect tax
You tax banks I dey use, bank in return tax me
upon all dey tax I no see one single thing I dey benefit from...
Small POS wey I wan take use see change dey clear eyes, you still wan tax me join...... Na to blast any modafoka wey come near me...
I dey ur back.
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by LOVEGINO(m): 7:26pm On Dec 06, 2022
AZUH:
Are you sure wike is aware of this ?
like seriously, I m not sure. Men just open office.
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Advocate500: 7:26pm On Dec 06, 2022
AZUH:
Are you sure wike is aware of this ?
wike personally approved unorganized revenue collection in River State as a means of settling his boys.
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Rapht933: 7:27pm On Dec 06, 2022
Sageez:
I first heard about this from someone but today, the tax force came my street. To avoid their embarrassment, I just approached one of them and made a transfer.

My neighbor's terminal was seazed and he was made to pay more before they released his terminal.

Omo! In this hard economy, we are still being taxed for everything and yet we get little or nothing back.

Below is a copy of my receipt.

is it per week or month or per annual or dally?
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by jamesversion: 7:33pm On Dec 06, 2022
Sageez:
I first heard about this from someone but today, the tax force came my street. To avoid their embarrassment, I just approached one of them and made a transfer.

My neighbor's terminal was seazed and he was made to pay more before they released his terminal.

Omo! In this hard economy, we are still being taxed for everything and yet we get little or nothing back.

From your receipt the tax was for your signboard. Didn't you verify who and what you were actually paying for?
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Sageez(m): 7:47pm On Dec 06, 2022
aspabay:

Just write for pidgin next time, we go understand
Thanks sir.
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by eskuvoisrael(m): 7:54pm On Dec 06, 2022
Tax is legal,but N10,000 is much for a POS operator
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Sageez(m): 7:55pm On Dec 06, 2022
jamesversion:

From your receipt the tax was for your signboard. Didn't you verify who and what you were actually paying for?
They didn't say its for the signboard. They said they were asked by the state government to collect tax from all pos operators
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by comrChris(m): 7:56pm On Dec 06, 2022
They know that majority of POS personals can comfortably pay this, though, that should be the reason for such high task.
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Elidrisy20: 8:03pm On Dec 06, 2022
Woke is going crazy
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by izubext007: 8:05pm On Dec 06, 2022
Wike
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Ferdinandu(m): 8:08pm On Dec 06, 2022
Wike will tax people in abject poverty and be dashing it out any how 500 million here, 1 billion there,. Is this not man's inhumanity to man?
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by rolams(m): 8:15pm On Dec 06, 2022
This is too much!
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by MrBroke(m): 8:21pm On Dec 06, 2022
If it's legit and taxed annually then no big deal but if it ain't nigga we gon die
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:29pm On Dec 06, 2022
Brendaniel:
I want to believe Nigerian SME's are the most taxed in the world, this one even has receipt, the unofficial taxation is even more than the official one, I've seen where agebros are counting the number of customers coming to buy from a trader to collect their own settlement for the day (this was an apple seller) no receipt for the payment, funny thing was there was police just beside them, the trader said he equally settled the police before he started selling.

The bad part is the tax payers don't see the benefits - please vote wisely in 2023
How is an Annual Tax of 10k too much for someone who makes up to 5k profit daily?
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:30pm On Dec 06, 2022
eskuvoisrael:
Tax is legal,but N10,000 is much for a POS operator
10k yearly is not too much sir
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Brendaniel: 8:34pm On Dec 06, 2022
NOETHNICITY:
How is an Annual Tax of 10k too much for someone who makes up to 5k profit daily?

That is if that will be the only tax the person is paying(official and non-official)...
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by SaLongs1(m): 8:38pm On Dec 06, 2022
Timoleon:
How is it extortion? The average Pos operator makes at least 2k daily, in many instances more. 2k x 30= 60k
60k x 12 = 720k
10k makes up less than 2% of a pos operator’s income. Please do enlighten me how it’s extor.
What you have projected there is the possible income but we all know that theories rarely match facts on ground. I cannot justify high taxes in a community where a single individual is capable of looting all that the citizens have toiled and taxed themselves to gather. Besides if everyone is taxed as much as the receipt shows then l wonder what they have been doing with all the enormous amount that they ought to have.
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 06, 2022
Sageez:

Good for you to have paid, but in few weeks another group will come and want you pay again claimingthat that receipt is not valid. How do you know you paid to the right people and you didn't pay too much

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:40pm On Dec 06, 2022
Brendaniel:

That is if that will be the only tax the person is paying(official and non-official)...
The ops is not alleging that they are being asked to pay multiple taxes.
Infact the receipt he displayed is very clear that it’s an annual tax.
It’s not all the time we must criticize government
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by SaLongs1(m): 8:41pm On Dec 06, 2022
Brendaniel:

I am surprised he is saying 5k daily as if it is guaranteed for everyone everyday when we all know that there are days you hardly make a dime
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 06, 2022
NOETHNICITY:
10k yearly is not too much sir
Really? How did you know this? Pardon my curiosity
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Akaraiwe(m): 8:45pm On Dec 06, 2022
The receipt shows payment for advertising/Signage…

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:50pm On Dec 06, 2022
gypsey:
Really? How did you know this? Pardon my curiosity
How do I know what?
Re: Rivers State Government Taxing POS Operators N10,000 (picture Attached) by Brendaniel: 8:50pm On Dec 06, 2022
NOETHNICITY:
The ops is not alleging that they are being asked to pay multiple taxes.
Infact the receipt he displayed is very clear that it’s an annual tax.
It’s not all the time we must criticize government

And where did I write that the OP is paying multiple taxes?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Big Snake (viper) Killed In My Area This Morning (pics) / Meet Nairalander Who Escaped Death few Hours Ago / See The Snake Our Security Guards Killed At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.