Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him (41625 Views)

Landlady Breaks Into Tenant's Door To Force Eviction (pics, Video) / Woman Returns From SALAH Feasting Only To Find Her House On Fire / 31-Year-Old Landlady: 'I Built This House With My Money, Not With My Body' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by ijustdey: 8:55pm On Dec 06, 2022
A high court in Lagos has dismissed a case filed by one Ademola Onitiju, a tenant, who sued his landlady for not selling her house to him.

In 2021, Onitiju, a retired air commodore and legal practitioner, took Theodosia Ogunnaike, the landlady of a four-bedroom duplex at Dolphin Estate in Ikoyi, to court for selling the property to another person after his initial negotiation with her.

The 59-year-old tenant, who started residing in the house in December 2015, said the property was first offered to him as first option to purchase but he did not pay for it immediately. Onitiju said he was initially asked to pay N170 million for the property, but he offered to pay N90 million instead, which was rejected by the landlady.

The retired airforce officer said during the renegotiation process, he sold two family properties to enable him to match the purchase price of N135 million which was later requested for. He said he asked for a bank account detail to pay the purchase price, but he was not provided with any until the property was sold out to one Samuel Dare, a retired colonel.

Onitiju admitted that the defendants did not ask him to sell the two family properties, “but they did by conduct when they insisted on the N135 million purchase price”. He also told the court that he does not have evidence of where the N135 million was lodged.

The tenant asked the court to set aside the sale of the property to the retired colonel.

Ogunnaike, a widow, said the property belongs to her daughter but she was managing it for her. The landlady said Onitiju used to pay his N4.5 million annual rent to her bank account and the rent was not increased during his stay, while they had a cordial relationship.

The landlady said the offer to buy the house was first made to Onitiju, but he did not have money to pay. Then, she terminated the offer made to the retired airforce officer after he made two counter offers of N90 million and N1oo million, and the sale of the property was thrown open to the public.

In her ruling on June 20, 2022, Bola Okikiolu-Ighile, the presiding judge, said Onitiju’s evidence before the court did not support any of the reliefs sought by him, and his case was bereft of facts. She subsequently dismissed the case.

“I find it difficult to grant any of the reliefs sought in the claims (i)-(vii). The claimant shall relinquish possession of the property to the new owners forthwith,” the judge ruled.

Onitiju has, however, appealed against the judgment.

https://www.thecable.ng/extra-tenant-sues-landlady-for-refusing-to-sell-her-house-to-him/amp

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Fox41: 9:02pm On Dec 06, 2022
Like seriously?

7 Likes

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by doggedfighter(f): 9:05pm On Dec 06, 2022
The audacity ! grin

108 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by usecondom(m): 9:08pm On Dec 06, 2022
See finish cheesy angry cheesy grin wink

8 Likes

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Kooldon(f): 9:21pm On Dec 06, 2022
The Emi Lokan Brothers. It is always their turn grin

172 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Richy4(m): 9:45pm On Dec 06, 2022
<< me wey only do Law 101 and 102 as a borrowed course can even judge this case within 3mins.. After all I am a judge Judy fan cheesy
<<Na which side of the nose this man dey take breathe from that gave him the boldness to sue... ?
<< You don't have money to pay..
<< The landlady did not ask you to sell your property to match the cash u already had..
<<She didn't accept money from you as part payment..No where it was written that she must definitely sell to you...
<< Now why was he suing? What was he planning to achieve?
<<Does it mean that the landlady has no right to sell to the highest bidder?

121 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Reporting34(f): 9:58pm On Dec 06, 2022
A very sharp tenant

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Franzinni: 9:58pm On Dec 06, 2022
The man is rightish ... She made him sell other properties to raise funds only to find out she has sold the property.. I know it's her property but he was led on and couple with the fact that baba is emotionally attached to the building ...and area

But his name is contradictory to his actions Sha.

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by kerry57: 9:59pm On Dec 06, 2022
See wahala o. Ontop my property. Na craze be that one

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Mercury12(m): 9:59pm On Dec 06, 2022
Wahala

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by chiefolododo(m): 9:59pm On Dec 06, 2022
Yes
Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by FashionCookie(f): 10:00pm On Dec 06, 2022
It's the audacity for me grin cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 06, 2022
grin What No nonsense undecided undecided undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by oluseyiforjesus(m): 10:00pm On Dec 06, 2022
Wonders shall never end

4 Likes

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Iseoluwani: 10:00pm On Dec 06, 2022
grin WW2

2 Likes

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by NoToPile: 10:00pm On Dec 06, 2022
Na real wa, maybe this is a reason why some people take their business transactions to people they are not familiar with to avoid all these familiarity wahala.

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by fredoooooo: 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2022
Werey Tenant cheesy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by ImoleNaija: 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2022
A high court in Lagos has dismissed a case filed by one Ademola Onitiju Alainitiju, a tenant, who sued his landlady for not selling her house to him.

Corrected.

78 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Christistruth00: 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2022
Entitlement Mentality

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by dearevery1: 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2022
I think this is a joke
Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by BigYash: 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2022
D tenant dey smoke wetin pass am grin

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by cremedelacreme: 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2022
The tenant na real werey. cheesy

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Mindlog: 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2022
He didn't meet up with the price.

1 Like

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by FreeStuffsNG: 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2022
Awon alakowe Eko cheesy Cases like this are in Lagos.

6 Likes

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by compton11(m): 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2022

1 Like

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Sirca(f): 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2022
Too bad
Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by Burgerlomo: 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2022
Nah by force?

1 Like

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by SirJerrie(m): 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2022
I understand his plight...
They agreed on 135M...
He went to hustle for the money...
Before he'd come back with the money, Landlady sold the house.

He stood on his right...
He's only fault was that there no written agreement that she'd keep the house till whenever he has the money.
They probably had an oral agreement that if he has the 135M, he should pay for the house.

He was led on by the Landlady.
She made him sell properties to raise money for a house she didn't really want to sell to him.

He should take the loss

7 Likes

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by crossfm: 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2022
Hehehe grin grin grin grin.

Nigeria na really big Cruze. This our entitled mentality go spoil somany things for this country .

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tenant Sues Landlady For Refusing To Sell Her House To Him by sharpshap(m): 10:03pm On Dec 06, 2022
Wahala be like wetin again?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

GLO Wants To Plant A MAST On My Land. What Are My Benefits And Its Hazards - / 4 Storey Building Collapsed, Many Trapped Inside, In Anambra (graphic Pics) / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.