Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,811 members, 7,813,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

Diary Of An Okro Farmer - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Diary Of An Okro Farmer (13305 Views)

Okro Farming – A Surefire Way To Make N1 Million Monthly / For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here / How To Cultivate Okro In Dry Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 8:19pm On Dec 24, 2022
Kobojunkie:
How deep does the root of the Okra variety you plant grow and how wide does it spreading the ground? Any idea? undecided
Please what is the use of the information you are asking ? are you planning to grow in a sack ?
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Kobojunkie: 8:29pm On Dec 24, 2022
Jub101:
Please what is the use of the information you are asking ? are you planning to grow in a sack?
Yep! If I can squeeze more plants into a small space, that means I can grow and harvest more per square meter of space. undecided

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 8:37pm On Dec 24, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Yep! If I can squeeze more plants into a small space, that means I can grow and harvest more per square meter of space. undecided
It is possible you just have to give each plant enough nutrients to avoid competition and let your insecticide spraying regime be top notch.
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Kobojunkie: 8:45pm On Dec 24, 2022
Jub101:
It is possible you just have to give each plant enough nutrients to avoid competition and let your insecticide spraying regime be top notch.
You pretty much eliminate competition when you put each plant in its own bag space, right? And as far as insecticide spraying, when you have them in close space, don't you end up spending less on insecticide sprays? undecided
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by FarmTech(m): 10:14am On Dec 25, 2022
Jub101:

The type of herbicide to use depends on the kind of weeds present on your farmland we have some weeds here that glyphosate will not kill e.g water leaf that only 2-4D can.
Paraquat can kill water leaf too. 1L is N2700 or so. Is it cheaper than 2 4 D?
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by OluchiDelly: 7:37pm On Dec 25, 2022
FarmTech:

Paraquat can kill water leaf too. 1L is N2700 or so. Is it cheaper than 2 4 D?

Paraq is cheaper but the effect on water leaf is superficial, it will not last long before the leaf will bounce back.
2,4-D handles broad leaves better esp those with higher water content but will not kill narrow leaf/ grass family. Thats why the OP suggested mixing it with glyphosate if you have both types of weeds on your farm and must be applied b4 your crop start sprouting.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by FarmTech(m): 10:56pm On Dec 25, 2022
OluchiDelly:

Paraq is cheaper but the effect on water leaf is superficial, it will not last long before the leaf will bounce back.
2,4-D handles broad leaves better esp those with higher water content but will not kill narrow leaf/ grass family. Thats why the OP suggested mixing it with glyphosate if you have both types of weeds on your farm and must be applied b4 your crop start sprouting.
At 16ml per L, paraq will kill water leaf. I used it to clear the water leaf that once infested my farm.
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 6:35pm On Dec 26, 2022
Paraquat is cheaper yes though it’s effect on weed is not that strong is a quick action herbicide unlike 2-4D which is systemic and also compliments the action of glyphosate when used together.
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 7:16pm On Dec 26, 2022
My dry season Okro project it was planted on the 6th of November. I will post a vid on IG to explain better

Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Kobojunkie: 12:16am On Dec 27, 2022
Jub101:
My dry season Okro project it was planted on the 6th of November. I will post a vid on IG to explain better
So you do plant even during the harmattan season then? undecided
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 10:08am On Dec 27, 2022
Planted before the harmattan
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by amanda2013(f): 10:14am On Dec 27, 2022
Jub101:
please how many months does it take the okro to mature?
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by umuna(m): 1:41pm On Dec 27, 2022
Jub101:
Herbicide containing glyphosate should be used with dimethyl amine (popularly know as 2-4D) in the ratio 200ml to 50ml respectively in a 20L knapsack sprayer.

wont glyphosate kill the okras?
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 6:28am On Dec 28, 2022
amanda2013:
please how many months does it take the okro to mature?
It takes about 55days
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 7:13am On Dec 28, 2022
umuna:

wont glyphosate kill the okras?
It won’t because it is being used before the emergence of the Okro plants
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 7:15am On Dec 28, 2022
Glyphosate is also used in the process of control spraying to eliminate weeds in competition with Okro plant. As long as it doesn’t touch the leaves you are good cheesy
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Omo9ja147(m): 7:35am On Dec 28, 2022
What's the population in 1 hectare, and what's the yield like?
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by ashpanez: 4:54pm On Dec 28, 2022
Jub101:
After the germination of the seed the first insecticide spraying should occur not more than 5days. This boost the seedling growth and deter early insect attack which hinder adequate growth of the plant. I use vanguish insecticide which contains acetamiprid and cypermethrin and is very effective.

Hi Op. U did not mention the required dose/ measurement for the infant plant. Pls share the amount of insecticide u use for the okra at that age. Thanks
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 12:08pm On Dec 29, 2022
Omo9ja147:
What's the population in 1 hectare, and what's the yield like?
Me I don’t calculate that, because I have enough seeds to go year round. I searched on goggle it says 111,111 per hectare
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 12:11pm On Dec 29, 2022
ashpanez:

Hi Op. U did not mention the required dose/ measurement for the infant plant. Pls share the amount of insecticide u use for the okra at that age. Thanks
Good day bro, I most have missed that. It depends on the insecticide being used. If it’s vanguish use 30ml in 20L knapsack sprayer, if it’s Imiforce used 15ml in 20L knapsack sprayer, caterpillar force is 50ml in 20L sprayer.
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by ashpanez: 7:49pm On Dec 29, 2022
Thanks OP. Bless u very plenty
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Omo9ja147(m): 8:00pm On Dec 29, 2022
Jub101:

Me I don’t calculate that, because I have enough seeds to go year round. I searched on goggle it says 111,111 per hectare
wow.... Do u plant hybrid or u source from ur hervest?...... I really want to learn from u.... I want to go into dry season okra farming..
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:40pm On Dec 29, 2022
I source from my best producing seeds every time.
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:42pm On Dec 29, 2022
The best time to go into Okro farming is between mid February and early march because the weather is favorable, yield is excellent and market price is at its peak
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by FarmTech(m): 12:02am On Dec 30, 2022
Jub101:
Which spacing do you use?
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 1:29pm On Dec 30, 2022
Dry season spacing is 30cm by 30cm . Two rows within a furrow. Raining season is 50cm by 50cm
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Nigerfine3: 5:53pm On Dec 31, 2022
Could you get to a stage where the products do not have buyers? Can you sell more if you produce more, can you welcome competitors around you?
Thanks
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 7:30pm On Dec 31, 2022
Nigerfine3:
Could you get to a stage where the products do not have buyers? Can you sell more if you produce more, can you welcome competitors around you?
Thanks
Getting to a stage of not finding buyers ke I don’t think that is possible. Gluts happen sometimes but it will subdue

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 7:32pm On Dec 31, 2022
Prices went as low as 500 this year and within 2 markets it was back up. It’s all part of the game and experience. Gluts happen o that is why you plant at strategic times
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by Jub101(m): 7:39pm On Dec 31, 2022
For those who want to reach out to me
WhatsApp: 07040404236
Compliments of the season smiley
Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by FarmTech(m): 9:06pm On Dec 31, 2022
Jub101:
Dry season spacing is 30cm by 30cm . Two rows within a furrow. Raining season is 50cm by 50cm
Thanks. You shud have quoted me. That way, I will get the "mention" and reply.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of An Okro Farmer by justlovesfarmin: 10:14am On Jan 01, 2023
Jub101:
Yield by hectacre varies and can only be determined by your agronomy practice. I get like 35basket on an acre when the Okro is at its peak. We harvest for close to two and half month which makes it like 20 harvests.

After the 2.5 months, do you clear the farm and replant?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Facts About Geese. / Nylon Packages Designs For All Agro Product / Why Ogbomosho Is The Best Location To Site Your Farm.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.