Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? (22186 Views)

Have You Eaten Any Food So Much That You Stopped Eating Them / In Which Country Is Food So Important To Them / Best Party Food So Classic And Easy And Yummy Everything (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by marvellous2222: 7:48pm On Dec 11, 2022
My economy is control by God Almighty and not man.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by TLE900: 7:50pm On Dec 11, 2022
Na who i go ask?
SKIDDOLEE:
Why ?? Food nowadays is more expensive than eyeball . everybody eye-socket don enter cause of lack of good food.

If you want to eat to your satisfaction now you will be spending nothing less than 2k or even more what is actually wrong?

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by Paretomaster1(m): 7:50pm On Dec 11, 2022
FLYFIRE:

It was deliberate & wicked. While the southern boarders were shut, the north were freeways. Same time boarders were shut their herdsmen were killing those fending with the farms

must you bring tribalism, and division into every discussion ??

No Northern border was left open,though smugglers still find Theor way through the bush paths, and this is common to all the boarders with the Idiiroko / Seme border being the worse...

Don't listen to hearsay...
Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by CaveAdullam: 7:51pm On Dec 11, 2022
1. Fulani herdsmen and farmers' conflicts.

2. Border closure.

3. Inflation.

4. No incentives for farmers.

5. Poor credit facilities.

6. Poor storage facilities.

7. Poor agricultural education.

8. Archaic agricultural practice.

9. Agricultural and government bureaucrats.

10. Low agricultural mechanization.

Etc.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by InvertedHammer: 7:51pm On Dec 11, 2022
SKIDDOLEE:
Why ?? Food nowadays is more expensive than eyeball . everybody eye-socket don enter cause of lack of good food.

If you want to eat to your satisfaction now you will be spending nothing less than 2k or even more what is actually wrong?

/

When many unemployed fellas don't want to farm, what do you expect? People with big compounds can't even use their backyard to farm but are quick to whine about high cost of farm produces. If I were the farmers, I will jack up the prices more.

/

1 Like

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 11, 2022
I just hope we don't use our thumb wrongly next year embarassed

1 Like

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by jojothaiv(m): 7:53pm On Dec 11, 2022
Lorayne:

Food is expensive in the north but I don't think it's ever as expensive as it is in the south.
This is the truth.

We still chest 1k per 3 rectangle meal a day, as 3 square meal is highly fallacious.

And by 3 rectangle meal, I mean a plate of 4 balls of Masa and a piece of meat for 250 Naira breakfast, local rice sprinkled with yaji and groundnut oil for 200 Naira for lunch and 4 balls of Tuwo Masara and 2 meat for 300 Naira as dinner. 50-70 Naira for pure water.

We continue the hustle the next day.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by Munzy14(m): 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2022
mariahAngel:

That single act of border closure disrupted the flow of so many things.
It was the major cause of the downfall of the naira.
Border closure and That endsars was the game changer for the middle men.

They made huge money hoarding goods to create artificial scarcity.

Again, Insecurity in the North is indirectly affecting people in other regions..Farmers pay tax to bandits before they can farm and harvest.

Government also milk farmers instead of the necessary subventions they are meant to give.. lipsrsealed

Lack of government being able to mop up excess produce of perishable goods and sell at a fair price thereby making good available while the farmer gets back his capital and fair profit to motivate for another production cycle.

Again, it is high time we stop depending on weather/season..Developed countries farm all year round as long as their is irrigation and improved seeds/seedling...This APC failed government is not ready at all.

They blocked importation of rice, local production became far expensive.

They ban importation of Urea fertilizers, because Dangote is producing and enslaving Nigerians..Urea per bag moved from 9k to 25k as at last week.

By the time Dangote start his fuel business, a litre will sell for 600naira grin

He entered into cement, we moved from 1900 to 5k per bag.

You will think going local is curse to Nigeria.

Criminal elements in every corner siphoning national cake.

Chicken wey we dey use hold body by Christmas, sad reality is that, not every family will afford chicken now and this season..With this one I don dey see chicken 14k..smh cheesy

Greed! Will soon turn Nigerians to cannibals.

Again, Russia war in Ukraine will finish Africans..Because we don't know those two countries are amongst the largest producers of grains and fertilizers plus raw materials used in agro fertilizers production.

The world is facing a partial recession which is projected to start in the last quota of 2022 till most parts of 2023.

Lastly, we must get ready for post election hardship in Nigeria..It happens after every election ushering in new regime..

Nigerians knew hunger in 2016 when Buhari took over..By the time Tinubu wins if care is not taken, a plate of good meal might be 5k or more.. cheesy

May God help us..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by joefelin2345: 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2022
Zee0007:
Don't worry Obi is coming. The change we seek.
Continue to fool ,& deceive yourself. No be biO na Orogbo (Bitter Kola)
Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by TinubuDeDrugLor: 7:56pm On Dec 11, 2022
Because of APC.
Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by Munzy14(m): 8:00pm On Dec 11, 2022
SKIDDOLEE:

This question is Rhetoric.

The eye socket explanation got me.. grin grin grin

Government should prioritize agriculture now before it is too late..

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 11, 2022
pocohantas:
Things are insanely expensive. Sometimes you spend 50k shopping and you can’t help wondering how people on 20k monthly salary are coping.

According to a trader I buy from, she said foodstuff from the North are not as expensive when they buy them there, but the cost of moving it down to the South is high. When they get here, various unions would still tax them. They add all this to the selling price and it still trickles down to the cooked food.

How much is cooking gas now?
Rent? Vegetable oil? Electricity?

You see that union thingy? When ever I see them, I feel like breaking those hands with which they steal in the name of union and task force.

Rivers state is worst under Wike. The number of task force is more than the traders here. Our salary is now useless.

Wike is the worst governor of Rivers state. A very terrible person who care less about the people. All he knows is comission flyovers. He doesn't care if everyone dies of hunger. A piece of shit

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by pacespot(m): 8:03pm On Dec 11, 2022
Anybody in position of power, even the security guy at the gate of bank, wants to use their power to exploit others. Talking about man inhumanity to man. The wickedness in Nigerian government has been trickled down to the masses, now people are doing their own wickedness in manifolds. Nowadays, I look very carefully before I talk to anybody on the street of Nigeria, because people are easily offended these days.

Nigerians are some of the greediest and most exploitative people you can find on the face of the earth. You don't know the true color of a Nigerian man until he gets the opportunity to hold the position of power.

In conclusion, if you notice that more Igbo food canteen owners are coming to your area, this can also be the cause of food prices rises in the area especially for those eating outside. Because Igbo's are the greediest people when it comes to inflating their product prices.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by akenzua74: 8:03pm On Dec 11, 2022
pocohantas:
Things are insanely expensive. Sometimes you spend 50k shopping and you can’t help wondering how people on 20k monthly salary are coping.

According to a trader I buy from, she said foodstuff from the North are not as expensive when they buy them there, but the cost of moving it down to the South is high. When they get here, various unions would still tax them. They add all this to the selling price and it still trickles down to the cooked food.

How much is cooking gas now?
Rent? Vegetable oil? Electricity?
don't let anyone fool you, foodstuffs are equally expensive in the north now. Now transportation is out of this world. Full trailer trucks load cost a million plus, that price have to be passed on the hapless consumers.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by Brownshoe: 8:04pm On Dec 11, 2022
They said food are not growing well in the ground again.
Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by zedegit: 8:05pm On Dec 11, 2022
SKIDDOLEE:

Insecurity majorly caused by fulani herdsmen who attack diligent farmers coupled now with the recent flooding caused by Buhari inefficiency.

He was warned to take precautions which he neglected to do for whatever reasons.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by onlinestaff2020: 8:09pm On Dec 11, 2022
SKIDDOLEE:

This country has been messed up by our so called leaders overtime that's why to eat good food now is like trying to fix a thread in a tiny hole needle in a semi dark room.

Do you know that our leaders doesn't care about us? They only care for their immediate blood members.

That's why most families are not able to live on $2 (N1,500 plus) a day....It's not funny oh!

Most people are walking dead, just looking for opportunities to explode.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by MrBroke(m): 8:12pm On Dec 11, 2022
Because it is global grin stop complaining
Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by NwaMamaIwota(f): 8:15pm On Dec 11, 2022
FuckSilly:

How much are yhu pigs selling a plat of rice in your red mud villages?
mynd44 nlfpmod Seun Dominique
Rule 2
Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by smileyoo: 8:16pm On Dec 11, 2022
Geminita:

Today got me fighting with aboki because of the quantity of pepper he sold for me. I wan cry cry.
I dare not buy pepper from those yoruba women.
why wouldn't you buy pepper from yoruba women ? Kindly explain.
Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by Brushstrokes20: 8:17pm On Dec 11, 2022
No thanks to the lifeless govt of self serving THIEVES AND BLOODTHIRSTY TERRORISTS whose foot soldiers a.k.a bokoharm keeps killing innocent farmers in cold blood! undecided

Buhari is Nigeria's WORST BLUNDER! undecided
Vote wisely come 2023.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by CodeTemplar: 8:17pm On Dec 11, 2022
Even TFC abi na Chicken Republic now offer a pack of white rice, stew, and egg. Same chicken that laid egg is what they were offering before so no big deal.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by Originalsly: 8:19pm On Dec 11, 2022
Food price increase is global. COVID-19 and the lockdowns ... and the Ukraine Russian war made matters worse with the oil and fuel supply problem. The cost of transportation has gone up and that will affect the price of almost everything. Then the greedy sellers .... upping the pri ce more than they should.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by JaskanFactor: 8:20pm On Dec 11, 2022
food is expensive in Nigeria cause of the European plan to depopulate Nigeria.
that is why all the European sponsored terrorists in Nigeria are burning markets, killing farmers, and as many as 500 armed European sponsored terrorists were sent to destroy tomato processing plant in the north. And thats just one example.

And if the Europeans have their way, that egg you used to replace your meat too will become unaffordable. Everything you need to survive will become unaffordable until 90% of the population has perished.

Weather you know it or not, you are at war. And you will only make it worse if you try to live like civilian when under attack from European elites that want to turn Africa into their garden of eden after wiping out the population.

No its never going to get better, if the Europeans have thier way in less than a year even the egg you won't be able to afford.
We have been holding the up Nigeria will improve since i was young and there was another European orchestrated military coup every weekend. I grew up nigeria feeling like everybody lived inside military barracks given the number of coups.

And then we finally find out about racism , that alas its European racists running Nigeria who want to end our existence , then everything made sense.

When your enemy is running your country, you need a very creative survival plan, and dont surround yourself with people who want to live like civlian , even when under attack.

they are coming for the egg too and the rice, you think the racists are joking, they mean blood, all of it.
keep fighting each other, when you are surrounded by enemies on all sides. from Arabs, to Europeans, Asians etc

Now they are talking of farming in Somalia, how can there be farming anywhere in the world in the age of High-tech robotics, and AI, unless someone is deliberately creating starvation.

if you want to keep watching football and big brother hoping for improvement, you aint seen nothing yet, you aint seen how much Europeans hate youer right to life.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by redcliff: 8:21pm On Dec 11, 2022
SKIDDOLEE:

You're forgiven go and dont be stupid again ....

forgive your father not me. fool

1 Like

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by mastermaestro(m): 8:22pm On Dec 11, 2022
NigeriaIsGreat:
Chinedu

I know say you no get PVC grin

I understand your misery though grin

It is evil, irredeemable people like you littered like locust across this country that have put us in this economic mess. You openly support devious governments without shame or remorse.

And you still go about begging for alms. You do not deserve anything good, sincerely. sad

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by yommen: 8:23pm On Dec 11, 2022
ibkayee:
Largely insecurity and dumb government policies like border closure without increased local production I think

You are right. No need put 'i think'.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 11, 2022
redcliff:

forgive your father not me. fool
Don't let everyone know how foolish u are don't make comments again ..
Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by CanineOfJackal: 8:25pm On Dec 11, 2022
NigeriaIsGreat:
I must be a beneficiary of your Christmas giveaway

No let Obi come in between us biko
you go out of your way to insult igbos and people of different political leanings from you but you can't stop begging online.
I would have helped you but I made a vow not to help urchins

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by mariahAngel(f): 8:25pm On Dec 11, 2022
Munzy14:

Border closure and That endsars was the game changer for the middle men.

They made huge money hoarding goods to create artificial scarcity.

Again, Insecurity in the North is indirectly affecting people in other regions..Farmers pay tax to bandits before they can farm and harvest.

Government also milk farmers instead of the necessary subventions they are meant to give.. lipsrsealed

Lack of government being able to mop up excess produce of perishable goods and sell at a fair price thereby making good available while the farmer gets back his capital and fair profit to motivate for another production cycle.

Again, it is high time we stop depending on weather/season..Developed countries farm all year round as long as their is irrigation and improved seeds/seedling...This APC failed government is not ready at all.

They blocked importation of rice, local production became far expensive.

They ban importation of Urea fertilizers, because Dangote is producing and enslaving Nigerians..Urea per bag moved from 9k to 25k as at last week.

By the time Dangote start his fuel business, a litre will sell for 600naira grin

He entered into cement, we moved from 1900 to 5k per bag.

You will think going local is curse to Nigeria.

Criminal elements in every corner siphoning national cake.

Chicken wey we dey use hold body by Christmas, sad reality is that, not every family will afford chicken now and this season..With this one I don dey see chicken 14k..smh cheesy

Greed! Will soon turn Nigerians to cannibals.

Again, Russia war in Ukraine will finish Africans..Because we don't know those two countries are amongst the largest producers of grains and fertilizers plus raw materials used in agro fertilizers production.

The world is facing a partial recession which is projected to start in the last quota of 2022 till most parts of 2023.

Lastly, we must get ready for post election hardship in Nigeria..It happens after every election ushering in new regime..

Nigerians knew hunger in 2016 when Buhari took over..By the time Tinubu wins if care is not taken, a plate of good meal might be 5k or more.. cheesy

May God help us..

This is so disheartening.
I really hope for things to get better.

Post gi a kwesiri i di na first page.
Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by LostMyZeal(m): 8:25pm On Dec 11, 2022
Blessedmercy8:
Hmmm and even after cooking it, you no go see am inside pot. Just be like all the rising agents in food too come reduce.

May God help us.

LOL... This is so true!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ? by 18wheeler: 8:26pm On Dec 11, 2022
Oloki:
Human inhumanity to his fellow man. We keep shouting, it is the government, but an average Nigeria is a fraudster, ready to ripe off his fellow man
True. The wickedness is manifest in the acts of hoarders. People have speculated there’s going to be food shortage and instead of making effort to make things easy they go hoarding food stuffs thereby adding to the shortage in the markets. I know one that took a loan @ 18% interest to buy beans and store. He envisages making over 40% gain on it by 2nd quarter of 2023. He is already adding to the scarcity during harvest and will hit the market with high price when the commodity gets more scarce next year. Why won’t food be expensive?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Too Much Pepper!!! / Ibibio Cuisines To Try / My Vegetable Soup Recipe Using Frying Method (pics And Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.