Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,027 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli (17119 Views)

How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli / Top 5 Greatest Nigerian Rappers Of All Time (By Double Six) / Vector Replies M.I For Dissing Nigerian Rappers In His Song (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Doyou2019: 10:33pm On Dec 28, 2022
Risingblue008:
Mr incredible fall my hand shaa

That guy no get mate for 9ja rap
I be dey think say by now,he suppose son feature
Ti
Lil baby,
Mims
Even suppose to challenge bone thugs and harmony
grin grin grin,
But the guy no get mate
The only rapper to drop him album without speaking pigin English yet e break Lagos market,only mi and timaya don break record like that
Wizkid don give rappers assignment
grin angry

Make MI wey don spend more than a decade in the industry dey drop album every other week bah Nonsense. So what about the young cats in the game? Wetin be dem job really? Na why Baba vex drop these lines years ago :
"I should be close to
retirement
Couple more years be retiring
but
None you of you rappers
inspiring
None of you pass the
requirements
I can’t retire yet, damn...
Who gonna fix the
environment? (Is it you?)
Ya’ll got me coming back
switch on the sirens
Still on my J-O-B none of
this rappers can fire me
I can’t retire yet, damn..."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by HellVictorinho6(m): 10:34pm On Dec 28, 2022
Winnin009:

More like rap is too complex for you! Such clown talk! grin grin grin

I’m replying the guy you replied. Sorry if you misunderstand

I get.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Demigod22: 10:37pm On Dec 28, 2022
Risingblue008:

Ti
Lil baby,
Mims
grin grin grin,
But the guy no get mate
The only rapper to drop him album without speaking pigin English yet e break Lagos market,only mi and timaya don break record like that
grin angry

The only Nigerian rapper to drop album without speaking pidgin English and still break into Lagos market is Neato C and not M I.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Demigod22: 10:47pm On Dec 28, 2022
ruffDiamond:
you don finished am!till date still good in composing rap verse easily from years of practice,!some say olamide and portable Na rapper lol

When Olamide started his career, he was doing rap song. Listen to songs like Ghost mode where phyno featured him.

Ice prince
Vector
M I
Falz
Phyno
Neato C
Illbliss
Mr Raw
2Short
Rugged
Lord of Ajasa
Dagrin
Olamide
Eldee
Ikechukwu
Mode9
CDQ

And many more did an excellent job.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Sulele04(m): 10:56pm On Dec 28, 2022
omonnakoda:
Still needs a definition especially if it is not in English
What kind of lyrics makes rap different from everything else
Is it the CONTENT or something else.
Nigerian music is dynamic and often fuses forms .I do not think it is possible to put it in one box. So called Afrobeat is mixing Fuji and Amapiano and whatever

It is performed or chanted, usually over a backing beat or musical instrument, Rap differs from spoken-word poetry in that it is usually performed off-time to musical accompaniment.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by sheriffindy(m): 11:07pm On Dec 28, 2022
Winnin009:

Opinions are like assholes! Everyone is entitled to one but sadly, some, just like yours, are simply full of shit!

I’m layman terms; you made no iota of sense! Even if you chose to throw words back, they still won’t make any sense.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Love800(m): 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
Do u knw anytin abt sound cloud? Pls if u knw, brief me abt it
house10studios:
Planning an EP or SINGLE?
U have ur own beat, but tight on budget.
Holla at me! BMDMIX
Lagos egbeda
090. 75. 25. 28. 28
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by rexidic: 11:21pm On Dec 28, 2022
I strongly disagree with this post. I am a strong fan of rap and the only problem is the lack of mainstream appeal and basic appreciation for the sound.

Nigerians don't care about lyrical content anymore. Most of them adore cheap puns and wordplays on twitter, yet they do not listen to our rap songs due to the bandwagon effect. Everybody wan jam Asake

Rappers like Show Dem Camp have been delivering solid projects for years (Clone wars + Palmwine music), A-Q has been on fire for the past 3-4 years (Live Report with M, God's Engineering, Ethos Album with Brymo, etc.), Ladipoe, Blaqbonez, Alpha Ojini have been putting in the work yet no one seems to appreciate their artistry.

We also have a lot of very talented underground rappers, check out Hennessy artistry and Nigerian battle rap leagues..... It's fine if people prefer to dance to Afrobeat records, but there is no point watering down the sound because people don't appreciate it. I am hopeful that the current stage of Hip-Hop's evolution and the birth of more "appealing" sub-genres like trap, drill, and grime will take Hip-Hop back to its top spot.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by DelphiOracle(m): 11:24pm On Dec 28, 2022
Ogaga87:
In your opinion they fell but na lie..

Wizkid must have said something but his songs are wack..

If you like come mention your papa and mama..

Again I must say, rap never dies
Wizkid recent songs are not just it.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Tendd: 11:32pm On Dec 28, 2022
I enjoyed and danced to a couple of Nigerian rap music this year.Mc Ezegetive,Obele by Beeper D Rapgod , Lucifer by dirry sepe,Phyno and Ugoccie breakfast are a few bangers with good vibes that has graced my moments.Wizkid's unsavoury comments are meaningless and makes no impact on Hip hop lovers.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by tishbite42: 11:54pm On Dec 28, 2022
HellVictorinho6:

Stop this unnecessary generalization.
The truth is bitter
How many Nigerians have listened to Nas' latest album?
How many listen to Griselda?

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:57pm On Dec 28, 2022
tishbite42:

The truth is bitter
How many Nigerians have listened to Nas' latest album?
How many listen to Griselda?

I will rather listen to a dead PAC or BIG than a Nas or Griselda that literally never dies.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by tishbite42: 12:02am On Dec 29, 2022
Demigod22:

The only Nigerian rapper to drop album without speaking pidgin English and still break into Lagos market is Neato C and not M I.
You know rap
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by tishbite42: 12:08am On Dec 29, 2022
HellVictorinho6:

I will rather listen to a dead PAC or BIG than a Nas or Griselda that literally never dies.

You don't know hip-hop
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by HellVictorinho6(m): 12:16am On Dec 29, 2022
tishbite42:

You don't know hip-hop

Yeah,PAC and BIG are outside your definition of hip hop.

Does it mean you're worth meeting??!??
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by HellVictorinho6(m): 12:18am On Dec 29, 2022
tishbite42:

You know rap

What sort of disgrace is this?

How is it your calling to determine who knows what??
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by NessFortunate: 12:34am On Dec 29, 2022
Risingblue008:

Ti
Lil baby,
Mims
grin grin grin,
But the guy no get mate
grin angry

The guy feature Nas for him latest album. If at all dude dey try. More ways and days to get others involves.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by NessFortunate: 12:38am On Dec 29, 2022
We all know that Nigerian rappers are no longer running the show.

Gone are the days when the likes of Ruggedman, 2 Shotz, MI, and Freestyle had the biggest songs on air. Because as we can all see, Afrobeats music has completely taken over the Nigerian music industry.

This is quite strange, because according to Billboard, hip hop is the most popular music genre in the world. So why isn’t it popping anymore in Nigeria?

Whatever the reasons for its decline, here’s how Nigerian rap can bounce back in 2023!

1. Ride The Afrobeats Wave

Once Nigerian rappers can put their pride aside and accept that we are in the Afrobeats era, then they will be more open to exploring the sound.

This is not to say that our rappers should switch to singing. Rather, they should explore some groove-friendly Afrobeats instrumentals.

They have doing your number two points truth is that an average NIGERIAN needs, love vibes and dance able songs. Melody above barz and punchlines. Rappers are doin enough.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by toprealman: 1:20am On Dec 29, 2022
So because WizKid who knows nothing about music said rubbish about Nigerian rap all you music producer are getting high.
Music is what you make of it. As long as there is coordination, no need to compete....mmyou will always have an audience.
Personally, I think our guys are doing well. Who would have thought that we can go a full event and months without playing foreign songs?
Who even plays foreign songs at functions? WizKid made zero point.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by jaxxy(m): 1:43am On Dec 29, 2022
A they need to do is have a clear message and spice it up.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Parrot69: 2:13am On Dec 29, 2022
Oddfinder12:

Ruff Rugged and Raw. Rap is dead in naija. I blame MI the most for that
I swear, that guy killed the inspiration.
Claiming he's the best Rapper in Nigeria and also wanting to claim best Rapper in Africa grin can you imagine?
Short man will big balls grin grin
Just watch the last Hennessy Cypher for Africa, you'll see the nonsense Vector was saying... "my inner self was talking to my sinner self.." blah blah blah undecided cry
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Parrot69: 2:44am On Dec 29, 2022
nairamaniac:

I really blame m.i for this. He should have led the pack.

But the nigga got carried away with executive roles.
I swear, that that killed hip hop in Nigeria.
That beef with vector shot him globally. But instead of going with the trend as a means to promote himself and rebrand rap in Nigeria, he opted for peace and something that has been the hottest topic on the internet even the American bloggers took up interest in Nigeria and Africa because of the beef went Awol.
Most of these renowned DJ and Rap producers came to know much about Nigeria and Africa heavy weight during the beef Era towards the ending of covid.
Then you had
- MI vs VECTOR
-MI vs SARKODIE ( was a bet but it didn't)
- Blaqbonez vs Khaligraph Jones (Kenya)
- Kao Denero vs SARKODIE (Liberia vs GH)
-Kao Denero vs LJ (Liberia vs Ghana)
-Kao Denero vs Khaligraph(Liberia vs Keny
-Judas the RAP Knowledge vs Kao Denero(Liberia vs Uganda)
-Mex Cortez vs Gate keeper ( Tanzania vs Cameroun
And a whole lots of list goes on and on..
No Nigerian Rapper pulled a stunt. The only person that tried it was Blaqbonez against Khaligraph but was halted by Chocolate City(MI Record Label) because they were selfishly trying to promote their brand and image, and secondly he(MI) was a " pastor's" son always ready to sue for peace.. so the controversy died down.
You can't sell Hip-hop and rap without controversy. It's part of the game and promotion, and once you stop you're out of the game.
These Nigerian Rappers are not getting recognition anymore.. what keeps them going is these one or two Cyphers that Hennessy and Martell always try to conduct yearly that puts them in the view.. apart from that, nothing for them. Not even their Album get recognized cos they've killed the characters hip-hop is known for.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Parrot69: 3:19am On Dec 29, 2022
Levinas:
Imagine there's going to be a rap Olympics in the Bronx ( birthplace of Hip pop). Each country is asked to send a rep. Judges will be Rakim, Nas, Dre amd Krs one. Ghana will send Sarkodie. Kenya will send Khaligraph Jones. South Africa will send Nasty C. Who do you think Naija will send? Who do you think can represent us with rap on a global stage?

If "they" the Nigerian so called Rappers are sincere to themselves, it's PsychoYP! / Preacher King/ Ladipoe. These guys are beast on the mic. Check them out
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by InvertedHammer: 4:19am On Dec 29, 2022
JASONjnr:
No matter how you want to connect it.....Rap music is not an African stuff....

But AfroBeats....

You will never see white artists trying to produce and claim legendary to afro musics...rather they will feature and maintain their heritage....

But Africans, we deh always want to copy and want to do more than the original...

/
In the gyms, coffee shops and surprisingly some urban radio stations, Afrobeats is being played daily.
The soothing rhythm of Afrobeats (as close as one can get to Jazz) is what draws people especially oyibo, Asians and Hispanics to Afrobeats.

Hip-hop no longer has meaningful messages. The lyrics are only about murder, drugs and women--quiet unappealing .

Why would any Nigerian artist degrade himself or herself thinking whatever they mumbled together as rap will
be appealing beyond the borders of Nigeria? Afrobeats is here to stay. Those who joined the bandwagon are reaping the benefits and
international exposures that pay way better.

/
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Alusiizizi(m): 4:20am On Dec 29, 2022
Roscoras:
Where them bounce go before......

Boss, how much for the HP?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

VIDEO: Zlatan & Burna Boy – Killin Dem / Omotola In The Studio With Bobby Valentino! / D'banj Unveils DKM Album (Full Cover Art + Tracklist)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.