Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli (17150 Views)

Vote The Best Nigerian Rappers Of All Time (2023 Ranking) / How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli / Vector Replies M.I For Dissing Nigerian Rappers In His Song (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by TalkTalkTwins(m): 8:50pm On Dec 28, 2022
Ok
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Angelfrost(m): 8:54pm On Dec 28, 2022
Rap is dead, at least in this side of the universe!

Know this and know peace!

You can dress it up anyway you wish, but this ship has sailed and even sunk!

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by CedarHoldings45: 8:54pm On Dec 28, 2022
So many norms are changing...OBidients are truly ready to salvage Nigeria
topron59: Obidient built a forum of their own...woww!

1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by ruffDiamond: 8:56pm On Dec 28, 2022
HeartlessMan:
There's nothing wrong with Nigerian rap. The current generation are intellectually inferior so they lack the mental capacity to decipher complex metaphors and rhymes.

90s kids enjoy rap because they have a solid educational background.
you don finished am!till date still good in composing rap verse easily from years of practice,!some say olamide and portable Na rapper lol

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by viodemus: 8:56pm On Dec 28, 2022
They need to sharpen their hooks, wordplay, and continue to perfect their beats; Either in pidgin or plain english.

Not doing stammering music like rema new songs. I like the guy sha.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by lexy2014: 8:57pm On Dec 28, 2022
amechispeaks:

[b]3. Repackage For The Ladies And The Ballers

American rappers made some money in the 70s and 80s, but it wasn’t until the 90s that they started to rake in millions of Dollars.

Why? Because the ones who were serious about the business side of rap started dressing fly, popping champagne, driving Benzes, and using half-naked models in their videos.

Simply put, a Mase music video was more interesting to watch than a KRS-One music video.

The world is filled with vanity, so who do you think will attract more attention?

What a warped thinking. How many half naked girls do you need to see when a dj is playing portables zazu or kizz Daniels buga?

If sexual perversion is your thing, you can always get it by going to brothels. You don't need music videos to turn you on

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by victorVIC1(m): 8:58pm On Dec 28, 2022
HeartlessMan:
There's nothing wrong with Nigerian rap. The current generation are intellectually inferior so they lack the mental capacity to decipher complex metaphors and rhymes.

90s kids enjoy rap because they have a solid educational background.

Pure fact.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by IGoComotYaTeeth: 8:58pm On Dec 28, 2022
Nigerians don't rate rappers, they like love songs
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by omonnakoda: 9:02pm On Dec 28, 2022
We need to agree first on what RAP is

Is it a sound (beat) or lyric style
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by tishbite42: 9:04pm On Dec 28, 2022
bonechamberlain:
You need an enlightened populace to love/appreciate rap. Even if rappers do all those you mentioned very few Nigerians would appreciate rap, why? You need to be enlightened, exposed, mentally sound to really appreciate rap. There are very few rappers in Nigeria. Some of what we hear aren't rap.
You're the only one who made sense
Rap is too complex for Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by faceLAGOS: 9:06pm On Dec 28, 2022
These current Nigeria youth are not intellectually inclined & patient enough to listen rap.

I remember I used to dislike reggae and wouldn’t listen to it, even though I smoked weed.

But after listening to some tracks from Damian Marley, I fell in love with reggae that I even introduced Damian Marley songs to one bro wey be Rasta for my hood.

I was surprised when I found out wizkid featured Damian. I really didn’t like that Damian Marley would go so low, considering his lyrics from previous songs I’ve listened to.

Will I say most of what I know or let’s say half, I learned from rap & hip hop.

Those guys can deliver a whole textbook in a 3-5 minutes track.

I remember how I used to buy Eminem’s cds and co when going back to school, then in early 2000.

I would even go to cafes then & print lyrics so tey the guy at the cafe still respect me till date due to that because he never see person solely coming to cafe to download and print rap lyrics grin

Nas is my favorite.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by lukency(m): 9:06pm On Dec 28, 2022
Antiquated music of drug addicts.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by OhGeeBee: 9:07pm On Dec 28, 2022
Rap is dead in Nigeria. I'm a huge fan of rap back in the days but i was at a bet shop one day and the cashier was playing a rap song i asked about the song and he told me it's Blowin Money Fast by Rick Ross. I downloaded it and a couple of his other song and since 2012 I've been a huge follower of American rap.
Some months ago i was at an electronics store and a rap song was blasting i was forced to ask about the album and was told twas 69's.
When you're good you don't need to force it, you'll be recognised, appreciated and rewarded.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by tishbite42: 9:07pm On Dec 28, 2022
ruffDiamond:
you don finished am!till date still good in composing rap verse easily from years of practice,!some say olamide and portable Na rapper lol
Olamide, yes
Portable, Naira Marley and Zlatan, no
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by tishbite42: 9:08pm On Dec 28, 2022
OhGeeBee:
Rap is dead in Nigeria. I'm a huge fan of rap back in the days but i was at a bet shop one day and the cashier was playing a rap song i asked about the song and he told me it's Blowin Money Fast by Rick Ross. I downloaded it and a couple of his other song and since 2012 I've been a huge follower of American rap.
Some months ago i was at an electronics store and a rap song was blasting i was forced to ask about the album and was told twas 69's.
When you're good you don't need to force it, you'll be recognised, appreciated and rewarded.
Even though he later snitched, I still appreciate 69 rap songs
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by brain54(m): 9:08pm On Dec 28, 2022
“You rappers should fix up your lives”

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by ednut1(m): 9:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
Music audience is now global. There is no way American or Uk will accept 9ja rap

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Emilo(m): 9:18pm On Dec 28, 2022
faceLAGOS:
These current Nigeria youth are not intellectually inclined & patient enough to listen rap.

I remember I used to dislike reggae and wouldn’t listen to it, even though I smoked weed.

But after listening to some tracks from Damian Marley, I fell in love with reggae that I even introduced Damian Marley songs to one bro wey be Rasta for my hood.

I was surprised when I found out wizkid featured Damian. I really didn’t like that Damian Marley would go so low, considering his lyrics from previous songs I’ve listened to.

I remember how I used to buy Eminem’s cds and co when going back to school, then in early 2000.

I would even go to cafes then & print lyrics so tey the guy at the cafe still respect me till date due to that because he never see person solely coming to cafe to download and print rap lyrics grin

Nas is my favorite.

I relate with u bro. Remember that small book of songs lyrics we dey buy that year. Emeniem, Ludacris n Redman remain my favorites.

You need to understand rap n what they are saying to enjoy it. But the OP has a good point. Rappers in Nigeria need to make thier song danceable. Nigeria need what to dance to or nod to. Olamide may not be a rapper to me, but he has perfected the act of selling it in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Vinnie2000(m): 9:20pm On Dec 28, 2022
faceLAGOS:

Nas is my favorite.

Wizkid's song (Blessed) with Damian Marley is A GREAT SONG.

Infact, Its one Song Wizkid did well Lyrically!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by adanshe: 9:20pm On Dec 28, 2022
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Careente7(m): 9:27pm On Dec 28, 2022
JASONjnr:
No matter how you want to connect it.....Rap music is not an African stuff....

But AfroBeats....

You will never see white artists trying to produce and claim legendary to afro musics...rather they will feature and maintain their heritage....

But Africans, we deh always want to copy and want to do more than the original...
I guess you’ll say it’s an American thing but trust me it’s more of ‘expression’ and I guess everyone has the right.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Careente7(m): 9:33pm On Dec 28, 2022
Trust me rap ain’t dead in Naija we have lots of them winning your just not a fan to understand these things,the lay man won’t just get it.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Munamoqel: 9:35pm On Dec 28, 2022
Hi
amechispeaks:
How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023:

Written By Amechi Okoli

We all know that Nigerian rappers are no longer running the show.

Gone are the days when the likes of Ruggedman, 2 Shotz, MI, and Freestyle had the biggest songs on air. Because as we can all see, Afrobeats music has completely taken over the Nigerian music industry.

This is quite strange, because according to Billboard, hip hop is the most popular music genre in the world. So why isn’t it popping anymore in Nigeria?

Whatever the reasons for its decline, here’s how Nigerian rap can bounce back in 2023!

1. Ride The Afrobeats Wave

Once Nigerian rappers can put their pride aside and accept that we are in the Afrobeats era, then they will be more open to exploring the sound.

This is not to say that our rappers should switch to singing. Rather, they should explore some groove-friendly Afrobeats instrumentals and rap over them.

This strategy worked for American rappers when they rode the dancehall and reggaeton wave in the mid-2000s, so why not?

Busta Rhyme’s “Make It Clap” remix with Sean Paul still bangs in clubs today!

2. Feature Afrobeats Singers

Rapping over Afrobeats instrumentals is great, but taking it one step further by featuring Afrobeats singers will produce better sing-along melodies, and of course, greater chances of success among the Nigerian audience.

3. Repackage For The Ladies And The Ballers

American rappers made some money in the 70s and 80s, but it wasn’t until the 90s that they started to rake in millions of Dollars.

Why? Because the ones who were serious about the business side of rap started dressing fly, popping champagne, driving Benzes, and using half-naked models in their videos.

Simply put, a Mase music video was more interesting to watch than a KRS-One music video.

The world is filled with vanity, so who do you think will attract more attention?

4. Improve The Flow

With Nigerian hip hop, the way our rappers deliver is sometimes the problem. They focus too much on bars and they completely forget about the flow, which leaves their songs so bland and unentertaining.

One Nigerian rapper that understands the importance of the flow is Ladipoe. Just listen to his verse on the Mavins all-star track (Overdose). Even the Afrobeats Singers couldn’t outshine him on the song, all thanks to his flow!

5. Target The International Audience

For Nigerian rappers who are not interested in switching their style or sound, then the best thing to do in 2023 is to target the international market.

Underground boom bap rap might not be the biggest thing in America right now, but at least the market still has fans who are willing to pay for that kind of music.

You don’t need a big budget to target them either. Just pay for social media ads and choose your ideal audience.

Well, I hope this helps, and I hope Nigerian hip hop puts a strong foot forward in 2023.

Kindly share this article so that other hip hoppers can read it too.

Follow me on IG @amechi_okoli, and be rest assured that I’ll keep writing for the culture. Peace!

Written By Amechi Okoli
as a life long lover of classical rap music the problems is that Nigeria rapper lack the motivation to rap or dont understand the culture .we have two type of Rap lyrics. Classic gangstar rap . Encourage violence, drugs hoe money and thuggery nwa methods man red man biggy then we have sociopolitical rap as epitomizes by Tupac .song like keep you head up . The commercial raps promoted by p.diddy and co brought the needed USD but killed the spirits and must of the remote causes and inspiration to rap is no more .there is economic progress in the negros area unlike past

Wizkids is is poorly educated and can't figure out this cos he meet only commercial raps Which bring in the USD but don't last . Go and listen to song like the real mother fucker by easy e or thug passion by PAC

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by mrfizy(m): 9:39pm On Dec 28, 2022
Nigerian hip hop is not dead.
Nigerians became too shallow to understand rap and Afro beats was born.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by TristanX: 9:39pm On Dec 28, 2022
JASONjnr:

But AfroBeats....

You will never see white artists trying to produce and claim legendary to afro musics...rather they will feature and maintain their heritage....

But Africans, we deh always want to copy and want to do more than the original...

The OP is right. That’s why MI’s track with Flavor “African Rapper Number one” is still a banger till date. That song is the best infusion of hip hop and Afro beats I’ve ever seen in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by TristanX: 9:41pm On Dec 28, 2022
Zonefree:
I'll take Nigerian rappers serious when they start to shoot themselves like their western counterparts they're copying.

Even western rappers don’t shoot themselves anymore. That was when West Coast and East Coast boys were beefing themselves
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by lolaluv1(f): 9:41pm On Dec 28, 2022
Everything in life is time and season. Even in the US, real HipHop is not really mainstream anymore. It is more of drill, mumbling for the males and puccy lyrics for the females.
And again, the US might not really be receptive to our HipHop the way they were to Afrobeats. Afrobeats is our product and we took it to them. Hiphop is theirs, and how do you sell snow to an Eskimo?

Also, all the rappers you mentioned are older and accomplished. All that edge and hunger they blaze with early in their career mellows down with age. Personally, I can't compare the Olamide of 2014 to the Olamide of 2022. Production is better, but baba Don dey belleful and e dey show for the voice (I still love him though).
At the end of the day, when it is the turn of Nigerian Hiphop, they will shine irrespective of what they do or not.

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Loverboi2cute(m): 9:42pm On Dec 28, 2022
JASONjnr:

But AfroBeats....

isn't Nasty C African... abi hw does he do it ?
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Loverboi2cute(m): 9:44pm On Dec 28, 2022
amechispeaks:

Very true bro, rap isn't a Nigerian thing. But musical cultures can be practiced by others too. Just as American singers are now using Afrobeats instrumentals.

thank you very much bro.. enlighten dem.

Music is a universal language
Wizkid stressed dat point in an interview
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by kellyzaf(m): 9:44pm On Dec 28, 2022
JASONjnr:

But AfroBeats....

You be man wey sabi jare, u hv just nailed it and no need argument.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by faceLAGOS: 9:46pm On Dec 28, 2022
Vinnie2000:

Wizkid's song (Blessed) with Damian Marley is A GREAT SONG.

Infact, Its one Song Wizkid did well Lyrically!

Sorry bro, I barely listen to Nigerian artiste be it wizkid or davido.

I like songs that makes me think critically.

I don’t even know some naija artists if I see them. Ditto actors & actresses.

I care so much about what I feed my mind with.

Though, I’ll try & listen to that track Damian did with wizkid, again.

Hopefully, I’ll come back to tell you what I feel about it.

Enjoy the rest of the night.

smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wizkid's Soco Emerges As The Most Searched Term In Nigeria - Google / Davido – Gobe (Video) / NEW OFFICIAL MUSIC>> Korede Bello – Cold Outside (prod By Don Jazzy)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.