Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli (17170 Views)

Vote The Best Nigerian Rappers Of All Time (2023 Ranking) / How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli / Vector Replies M.I For Dissing Nigerian Rappers In His Song (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by ikorodureporta: 4:49am On Dec 29, 2022
And you see, the person that did the best rap song of the year is not even a musician...
The song went straight into my hit song list.. cheesy

...I mean the BLABLABLU SONG (Hiphop version)

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by ikorodureporta: 4:54am On Dec 29, 2022
The question I want to ask this poster is if he still listens to current american rap songs...
You suppose to know say na seasonal thing...

In those days, we were feeling the influence of american gangstar rap of late 80s, to early 2000s

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 5:46am On Dec 29, 2022
It is well my brother
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Johel(m): 5:56am On Dec 29, 2022
amechispeaks:
How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023:

Written By Amechi Okoli

We all know that Nigerian rappers are no longer running the show.

Gone are the days when the likes of Ruggedman, 2 Shotz, MI, and Freestyle had the biggest songs on air. Because as we can all see, Afrobeats music has completely taken over the Nigerian music industry.

This is quite strange, because according to Billboard, hip hop is the most popular music genre in the world. So why isn’t it popping anymore in Nigeria?

Whatever the reasons for its decline, here’s how Nigerian rap can bounce back in 2023!

1. Ride The Afrobeats Wave

Once Nigerian rappers can put their pride aside and accept that we are in the Afrobeats era, then they will be more open to exploring the sound.

This is not to say that our rappers should switch to singing. Rather, they should explore some groove-friendly Afrobeats instrumentals and rap over them.

This strategy worked for American rappers when they rode the dancehall and reggaeton wave in the mid-2000s, so why not?

Busta Rhyme’s “Make It Clap” remix with Sean Paul still bangs in clubs today!

2. Feature Afrobeats Singers

Rapping over Afrobeats instrumentals is great, but taking it one step further by featuring Afrobeats singers will produce better sing-along melodies, and of course, greater chances of success among the Nigerian audience.

3. Repackage For The Ladies And The Ballers

American rappers made some money in the 70s and 80s, but it wasn’t until the 90s that they started to rake in millions of Dollars.

Why? Because the ones who were serious about the business side of rap started dressing fly, popping champagne, driving Benzes, and using half-naked models in their videos.

Simply put, a Mase music video was more interesting to watch than a KRS-One music video.

The world is filled with vanity, so who do you think will attract more attention?

4. Improve The Flow

With Nigerian hip hop, the way our rappers deliver is sometimes the problem. They focus too much on bars and they completely forget about the flow, which leaves their songs so bland and unentertaining.

One Nigerian rapper that understands the importance of the flow is Ladipoe. Just listen to his verse on the Mavins all-star track (Overdose). Even the Afrobeats Singers couldn’t outshine him on the song, all thanks to his flow!

5. Target The International Audience

For Nigerian rappers who are not interested in switching their style or sound, then the best thing to do in 2023 is to target the international market.

Underground boom bap rap might not be the biggest thing in America right now, but at least the market still has fans who are willing to pay for that kind of music.

You don’t need a big budget to target them either. Just pay for social media ads and choose your ideal audience.

Well, I hope this helps, and I hope Nigerian hip hop puts a strong foot forward in 2023.

Kindly share this article so that other hip hoppers can read it too.

Follow me on IG @amechi_okoli, and be rest assured that I’ll keep writing for the culture. Peace!

Written By Amechi Okoli

Perfectly said!
I'm in the same opinion.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by VEHINTOLAR: 6:17am On Dec 29, 2022
bonechamberlain:
You need an enlightened populace to love/appreciate rap. Even if rappers do all those you mentioned very few Nigerians would appreciate rap, why? You need to be enlightened, exposed, mentally sound to really appreciate rap. There are very few rappers in Nigeria. Some of what we hear aren't rap.

Well said !

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by VEHINTOLAR: 6:18am On Dec 29, 2022
HeartlessMan:
There's nothing wrong with Nigerian rap. The current generation are intellectually inferior so they lack the mental capacity to decipher complex metaphors and rhymes.

90s kids enjoy rap because they had a solid educational background.

Spot on !
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by tishbite42: 6:50am On Dec 29, 2022
HellVictorinho6:

Yeah,PAC and BIG are outside your definition of hip hop.

Does it mean you're worth meeting??!??
Even my grandma knows Pac and Biggie
You get the drift??
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by HellVictorinho6(m): 6:56am On Dec 29, 2022
tishbite42:

Even my grandma knows Pac and Biggie
You get the drift??

Not everyone knows or cares about them.... that's the truth.

Though they might know other rappers.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by jojothaiv(m): 7:00am On Dec 29, 2022
Rap is not a Nigerian thing would've been better.

I still listen to rap from SA, Angola and Kenya.

Another observation..
HeartlessMan:
There's nothing wrong with Nigerian rap. The current generation are intellectually inferior so they lack the mental capacity to decipher complex metaphors and rhymes.

90s kids enjoy rap because they had a solid educational background.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 29, 2022
Oddfinder12:

I blame MI the most for that

How was he to be blamed?? Explain give us!
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Oddfinder12: 7:31am On Dec 29, 2022
Dsame:

How was he to be blamed?? Explain give us!
MI moved from being a rapper to an executive. He became of those greedy executives dat give shitty contracts to upcoming stars. He abandoned rap wen he was at number 1. Every rap kid was looking up to him bro.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by benqo01(m): 7:37am On Dec 29, 2022
Rap isn't Nigeria thing,that is why rap don't thrive in Nigeria,Nigerians are just used to one particular sound that's is Afrobeat and to me it just doesn't expand our music,Nigerians just want to dance that is all drop d beat and they go crazy.

Hardly do you see an American artiste switch his or her type music, that is because all kind of genre are being accepted in the market still fetching Dem money.

Rap was built as a foundation in the US that is why rap is thriving very well in the US.

See one of the reason why the US succeed is that no type of song you sing that doesn't go global that what makes them unique from R N B to even rock music that is why Thier music market is so huge.

When modenine was rapping Nigerians said he was speaking too much Grammer but Eminem is an hardcore rapper selling millions of copies in and outside of the US.

We need to improve our standard that is all
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by benqo01(m): 7:40am On Dec 29, 2022
RAP MUSIC REMAINS MY NUMBER ONE,SOMETIMES WHEN I SIT DOWN AND LISTEN TO RAP MUSIC FLOW IS CRAZY NOTHING LIKE WORD REPITITION.

RAP NO EASY ABEG
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by SPAMBOX7: 7:43am On Dec 29, 2022
bonechamberlain:
You need an enlightened populace to love/appreciate rap. Even if rappers do all those you mentioned very few Nigerians would appreciate rap, why? You need to be enlightened, exposed, mentally sound to really appreciate rap. There are very few rappers in Nigeria. Some of what we hear aren't rap.
You just said every at #Bolded. Unfortunately we don't have so much of people like that in this part of the world hence rap music wont thrive that much here

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by SPAMBOX7: 7:45am On Dec 29, 2022
HellVictorinho6:

Nonsense

Rap is not for any race or continent
Why you always like start comment with "Nonsense"., werey cheesy
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by HellVictorinho6(m): 7:46am On Dec 29, 2022
SPAMBOX7:
Why you always like start comment with "Nonsense"., werey cheesy

Always...??

What sort of misery are you
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by SPAMBOX7: 8:03am On Dec 29, 2022
HellVictorinho6:

Always...??

What sort of misery are you
Nonsense cheesy
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Crayon77: 8:05am On Dec 29, 2022
lyaebe:
They really need it, especially that useless Dbull or what does he call himself
Op abeg have mercy grin my ribs dey pain me
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by HellVictorinho6(m): 8:05am On Dec 29, 2022
SPAMBOX7:
Nonsense cheesy

You have no idea how terrible the year is ending towards me.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by adefitim(m): 10:32am On Dec 29, 2022
You guys should listen to MI and Vector Tha Viper verses on Hennessy Artistry 2022. It was dope
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by naijapikin2(m): 10:39am On Dec 29, 2022
After all these you will still see nigerians dancing, yet insulting the same artist...

Portable grin
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by AngelaInteriorz: 11:02am On Dec 29, 2022
Zonefree:
I'll take Nigerian rappers serious when they start to shoot themselves like their western counterparts they're copying.

They need to use as the start point shooting target so in the grave. You can take them serious lol
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by AngelaInteriorz: 11:07am On Dec 29, 2022
tishbite42:

Even though he later snitched, I still appreciate 69 rap songs

There's nothing like snitching when it comes to exposing criminals and gangbangers plus they tried to hurt him. Despite all these 69 rap is still trash and should not be mentioned anywhere rap.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by tishbite42: 11:09am On Dec 29, 2022
AngelaInteriorz:

There's nothing like snitching when it comes to exposing criminals and gangbangers plus they tried to hurt him. Despite all these 69 rap is still trash and should not be mentioned anywhere rap.
He snitched
I'm talking about his aggressive delivery, not lyrics
Even lyrically, he's violent and vicious
He simply has no street credibility
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Honchoslim16(m): 1:22pm On Dec 29, 2022
Rap isn't a top Genre anymore in Nigeria... I wouldn't say it's completely dead!
There are few rappers in Nigeria, but people just seem to shift away from rap scene to the Dancing scene.

One thing i know is that Rap will bounce back, i don't know when though.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Nigerian music......... I love American Rap!
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by IJEYdiamond(f): 4:45pm On Dec 29, 2022
Jesse jaz... Ice prince and MI

Work on the remix of nothing test me..

Just like what chris brown did... with understand the influence..

It will be explosive.... give it a try!!
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by blueAgent(m): 5:13pm On Dec 29, 2022
amechispeaks:
How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023:

Written By Amechi Okoli

We all know that Nigerian rappers are no longer running the show.

Gone are the days when the likes of Ruggedman, 2 Shotz, MI, and Freestyle had the biggest songs on air. Because as we can all see, Afrobeats music has completely taken over the Nigerian music industry.

This is quite strange, because according to Billboard, hip hop is the most popular music genre in the world. So why isn’t it popping anymore in Nigeria?

Whatever the reasons for its decline, here’s how Nigerian rap can bounce back in 2023!

1. Ride The Afrobeats Wave

Once Nigerian rappers can put their pride aside and accept that we are in the Afrobeats era, then they will be more open to exploring the sound.

This is not to say that our rappers should switch to singing. Rather, they should explore some groove-friendly Afrobeats instrumentals and rap over them.

This strategy worked for American rappers when they rode the dancehall and reggaeton wave in the mid-2000s, so why not?

Busta Rhyme’s “Make It Clap” remix with Sean Paul still bangs in clubs today!

2. Feature Afrobeats Singers

Rapping over Afrobeats instrumentals is great, but taking it one step further by featuring Afrobeats singers will produce better sing-along melodies, and of course, greater chances of success among the Nigerian audience.

3. Repackage For The Ladies And The Ballers

American rappers made some money in the 70s and 80s, but it wasn’t until the 90s that they started to rake in millions of Dollars.

Why? Because the ones who were serious about the business side of rap started dressing fly, popping champagne, driving Benzes, and using half-naked models in their videos.

Simply put, a Mase music video was more interesting to watch than a KRS-One music video.

The world is filled with vanity, so who do you think will attract more attention?

4. Improve The Flow

With Nigerian hip hop, the way our rappers deliver is sometimes the problem. They focus too much on bars and they completely forget about the flow, which leaves their songs so bland and unentertaining.

One Nigerian rapper that understands the importance of the flow is Ladipoe. Just listen to his verse on the Mavins all-star track (Overdose). Even the Afrobeats Singers couldn’t outshine him on the song, all thanks to his flow!

5. Target The International Audience

For Nigerian rappers who are not interested in switching their style or sound, then the best thing to do in 2023 is to target the international market.

Underground boom bap rap might not be the biggest thing in America right now, but at least the market still has fans who are willing to pay for that kind of music.

You don’t need a big budget to target them either. Just pay for social media ads and choose your ideal audience.

Well, I hope this helps, and I hope Nigerian hip hop puts a strong foot forward in 2023.

Kindly share this article so that other hip hoppers can read it too.

Follow me on IG @amechi_okoli, and be rest assured that I’ll keep writing for the culture. Peace!

Written By Amechi Okoli

Interesting.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by OwoukoUrua(m): 8:20pm On Dec 29, 2022
LOL

Total BS

Those who understand Hip-hop will always appreciate it.
Afro-pop is for mentally lazy folks
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Demigod22: 3:18pm On Dec 30, 2022
tishbite42:

You know rap

I listen to all genres of music, from Afro beat to country music, but you see that rap/ hip hop? I can miss breakfast downloading them on weekends.

In Nigeria I listen to:
Neato C
Vector
Ice prince
Illbliss
Jesse jags
M I
Phyno
Olamide
Ycee
CDQ
Classiq
Reminisce
Wale
Ladi Poe
Falz
Ajebo Hustlers
Show dem camp.

I love Sarkodie from Ghana
Black Sherif
Nasty C
Internationally:
I vibe to all of them but Eminem, Drake, Lil wyane
Kenye West

All of them.

I read performing arts in the University and I had opportunity to take music courses.
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by Serial48(f): 5:27am On Dec 31, 2022
Risingblue008:
Mr incredible fall my hand shaa

That guy no get mate for 9ja rap
I be dey think say by now,he suppose son feature
Ti
Lil baby,
Mims
Even suppose to challenge bone thugs and harmony
grin grin grin,
But the guy no get mate
The only rapper to drop him album without speaking pigin English yet e break Lagos market,only mi and timaya don break record like that
Wizkid don give rappers assignment
grin angry

What about themode9
Re: How Nigerian Rappers Can Bounce Back In 2023: Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 3:18pm On May 30, 2023
Music and entertainment writing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NEW OFFICIAL MUSIC>> Korede Bello – Cold Outside (prod By Don Jazzy) / Nigerian Entertainment Awards Nominees #NEA2015 / Olamide Fans Eyan Mayweather (full Album Download) For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.