Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? (5146 Views)

MTV Video Music Awards 2012: List Of Winners / Anti-christ Superstar -- Tyler The Creator: Satanic Rap Or Just Crazy? / New Illuminati Dude Tyler The Creator Is Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by Relax101(m): 3:51am On Aug 30, 2011
Last night when 20 year old Tyler, the Creator took home the MTV Video Music Awards accolade for Best New Artist, it is likely that many in the audience at home wondered who exactly Tyler, the Creator is. 20 year old Tyler Okonma is a rapper, producer, and leader of the alternative hip hop collective[b] OFWGKTA[/b]. The collective has also been simply known as Odd Future. You can learn more about them at the Odd Future website. OFWGKTA tour and perform together, but they record albums as independent acts. While a number of the recording acts such as Frank Ocean and MellowHype have met with commercial success, none has matched the top 5 debut of Tyler, the Creator's most recent album Goblin which opened at #5 on the Billboard album chart last May.

Read more here
http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20302940_20523801,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines

http://www.thegrio.com/entertainment/tyler-the-creators-goblin-is-scary-good.php

[img][/img]

Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by Relax101(m): 3:57am On Aug 30, 2011
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw[/flash]

20 million views.

I just feel He might end up in a "funny way".
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by amblors(m): 5:32am On Aug 30, 2011
the same kid that denied his father,
the guy dey rep only U.S & himself and his group -- Old sth,

that video is extremely weird, i no like am one bit.

congrats to him sha.
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by Relax101(m): 7:31am On Aug 30, 2011
amblors:

the same kid that denied his father,
the guy dey rep only U.S & himself and his group -- Old sth,

that video is extremely weird, i no like am one bit.

congrats to him sha.

I think the dad abandoned him.
You can tell he had no parental guidance except the street way of life.
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by ragdollz: 1:18pm On Aug 30, 2011
Omg I TOTALLY believe he's Nigerian - did anyone see his mother waving her arms in the air in the classix Naija "Praaiseee Jesus!" when her son won a VMA?? My sis and I were joking she must be Nigerian cos of her reaction grin. Now you say his surname is what?! Lol, small world.

Don't like them tho', heard they're devil worshippers or something equally demonic. I hear Frank Ocean dissed Chris Brown on twitter recently so yeah, I'm NOT a fan grin
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by amblors(m): 2:53pm On Aug 30, 2011
^^^^lol.
the kid is Nigerian by birth.
like Relax101 says he was abandoned by his father as the story goes.
and dissed him in a couple of songs.

the two/three songs I have heard from the kid he disses Bruno Mars and couple other celebs.
guess thats his tonic.

didnt know Frank Ocean was part of his crew, just confirmed it now.
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by Abagworo(m): 3:56pm On Aug 30, 2011
He is an Igbo guy and they used to live in Aba.He might not want his true origin publicized but congrats to him.In my view,he reps America and should be viewed as such.A lot of the Black Stars in the world have Igbo or Yoruba roots but I think only Wale and Dr Alban really rep their roots.

Sade,Chamillionaire,Ne-yo,Lemar,Nas,Lighthouse family,Tinie Tempah,Seal,Taio Cruz etc.

Remember I never claimed they were Nigerians but they rather have their paternal roots in Nigeria.

Here's an excerpt from one of Tyler's interview

Your african? From what country?

my father is NIgerian. Mom Is Half Canadian And Black. Swag Me Out.

One can clearly see that he tries to de-emphasize his Nigerian root but proud of the Canadian end.
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by Relax101(m): 12:52am On Aug 31, 2011
Abagworo:

He is an Igbo guy and they used to live in Aba.He might not want his true origin publicized but congrats to him.In my view,he reps America and should be viewed as such.A lot of the Black Stars in the world have Igbo or Yoruba roots but I think only Wale and Dr Alban really rep their roots.

Sade,Chamillionaire,Ne-yo,Lemar,Nas,Lighthouse family,Tinie Tempah,Seal,Taio Cruz etc.

Remember I never claimed they were Nigerians but they rather have their paternal roots in Nigeria.

Here's an excerpt from one of Tyler's interview

Your african? From what country?

my father is NIgerian. Mom Is Half Canadian And Black. Swag Me Out.

One can clearly see that he tries to de-emphasize his Nigerian root but proud of the Canadian end.

Those highlighted are Nigerians and have never be ashamed to say it.
Nas is not a Nigerian.
Taio cruz will be never accept he is Nigerian.
Tinie tempa represents Nigeria any day any time. He was in Nigeria to perform this year. He featured in a song flygerian.
Chamillionaire recently made a remix with Darey art Alade. He doesnt deny his Naija roots.
Sade is a full blooded Nigerian she has never denied it. She says OYO is her home town even though she lives in the Uk. Only the british press says she is british with a Nigerian descent.
Lemar na correct Igbo boy. He sang a song in Igbo.
Light house family(Tunde) has never denied his Nigerian heritage.
Seal, I know no for him.
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by rapjunkie(m): 9:48am On Sep 02, 2011
Relax101:

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw[/flash]

20 million views.

I just feel He might end up in a "funny way".

I love this video!!. . .  .just shows you that with creativity you can deliver a top notch video without spending anything. . .  .this video is so weirdly wonderful. shocking!!. . .  . .so it does the job and grabs ur attention. . . hence the 20 million views. . . .

he says he formed oddfuture cos he was tired of listening to 40 year old rappers talk about versace and gucci. . . etc. . . .lol

i think his dad left him as a child and he seems quite bitter about it cos hes always cussing him in his songs. . . .so why should he rep naija when his naija father walked out on him?
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by emarketer1: 2:16pm On Sep 02, 2011
I'm a fan of Tyler cos the kid hustled his way to the top as an indie artist. And he's very defiant. Never undermine the power of a movement!! GOLF WANG!!!
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by Relax101(m): 12:31am On Sep 03, 2011
rapjunkie:

I love this video!!. . .  .just shows you that with creativity you can deliver a top notch video without spending anything. . .  .this video is so weirdly wonderful. shocking!!. . .  . .so it does the job and grabs your attention. . . hence the 20 million views. . . .

he says he formed oddfuture cos[b] he was tired of listening to 40 year old rappers talk about versace and gucci. [/b]. . etc. . . .lol

i think his dad left him as a child and he seems quite bitter about it cos hes always cussing him in his songs. . . .so why should he rep naija when his naija father walked out on him?

HAhahaa. He's a bad arse. He's intelligent no doubt but he should be just be careful.
Re: Mtv Video Music Awards. Tyler, The Creator, A Nigerian Boy? by ragdollz: 7:55pm On Sep 03, 2011
One day he too will be a "40 year old rapper" singing about brands and how much is in their bankroll. They all end up like that grin ------- that's if his mouth will let him live that long grin

(1) (Reply)

Any Cheap Recording Studio In Lagos? / Murphy Ijemba Displaces “citizen Jones” And Kubanji Direct / Freestyle(trybesmen) And Ruggedman(who Raps Better)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.