Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? (20413 Views)

NYSC: Wrong Name, Wrong Date Of Graduation / Photos Of Corper Ugwi Mary Martha Killed At AAU Graduation Party / We Sent You To Serve Not To Do Evangelism, NYSC DG Warns Corps Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by omonnakoda: 4:37pm On Dec 15, 2022
stuffs2002:
Barrister Adebayo Shittu was disqualified from contesting as governor for not participating in NYSC

Kemi Adeosun was basically removed as minister of finance because she failed to participate in NYSC

No government or political party would field you for any elective or political position if you intentional failed to participate in NYSC

Most juicy private companies would not employ you without NYSC discharge certificate or exception certificate.

Cc: nnadychuks
Kemi resigned she was not removed. Her issue ultimately was about forgery not failure to serve.

There is no constitutional requirement to do the NYSC to hold ELECCTIVE office there are so many examples https://guardian.ng/news/adeosun-court-says-nysc-not-mandatory-for-public-office-holders/
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Frankicent(m): 4:38pm On Dec 15, 2022
abuja007:
NYSC can be avoided completely at your own risk because you cannot hold any government office and some private companies might not employ you without it.

No one knows tomorrow. Today you might not think of working for FG but in a few years time opportunity will come and the lack of NYSC will disqualify you.

Big learn..Most government companies don't care about your NYSC certificate. For private I don't know if most does.
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Babastrong(m): 4:39pm On Dec 15, 2022
[quote author=Gohs post=119179747]
OBI is still a Nigerian and he will rule over Nigerians in 2023. . . Come rain come shine grin[ kikiikiki.]
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by nairayouthcom(m): 4:44pm On Dec 15, 2022
nnadychuks:
I really like to join politics later… so there’s no hope? Cos I heard the minimum requirement is waec result

Den don turn politic to full time job
F*ck
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Memeni(m): 4:47pm On Dec 15, 2022
NYShit...A graduate but I won't do that trash
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by ContinuousTortu: 5:01pm On Dec 15, 2022
I have exclusion letter. can I still work for the govt in future?
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by ContinuousTortu: 5:02pm On Dec 15, 2022
there are three types of NYSC letter: discharge exemption exclusion
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by sheddyboy01(m): 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2022
EbenezerTriumph:
what levels are you now?
have you passed the mobilisation stage?
I can still help you cos I'm over 30 and qualified to serve
Can I have your number please
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Scarletjr(m): 5:21pm On Dec 15, 2022
Go for service and ghost ham shikena
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by fof1: 5:39pm On Dec 15, 2022
nnadychuks:
Good day my people…

Pls is it a must that I must serve after completing my bsc? I don’t fancy that green khaki or working for a 33k monthly salary.

Don’t get me wrong o. last year I was excited to go for service b4 the major strike which lasted 8 months. By now I should’ve been done with anything school, but here I am in final year.

What are the disadvantages of not going for service? At least for someone who has japa plans

Get Educated First. Ask this Question to ur SCHOOL ADVISOR...Lazy Fulks everywhere
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by slimthugchimee2(m): 5:45pm On Dec 15, 2022
Politiculator:
No! It is just a way of delaying youths so that government can buy more time for themselves. Come to think of it, if you spend about 10 years before being qualified to apply for jobs, no one will be disturbing the government of employment. So they look for a way of making you waste your time while they enjoy looting and not doing anything.

I won't be surprised if the government brings up another thing that will delay you again by adding more years before you can apply.

Is there anything as such in advanced countries? And they are more advanced than us.

In some countries you will serve a mandatory 1 year in the military
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by stuffs2002: 5:52pm On Dec 15, 2022
omonnakoda:
Kemi resigned she was not removed. Her issue ultimately was about forgery not failure to serve.

There is no constitutional requirement to do the NYSC to hold ELECCTIVE office there are so many examples https://guardian.ng/news/adeosun-court-says-nysc-not-mandatory-for-public-office-holders/

Kemi resigned just to save face. She was on the verge of being kicked out before she quickly resigned.

Please Google Barrister Adebayo Shittu and see what happened to him.

You may fight it in court that you are eligible to hold elective positions, but I can guarantee it that your opposition would use it against you as you are not in anyway better than those that served their country.

I would advice anyone qualified for NYSC to just do it and put it past them and focus on 5he future.
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Agugbadin: 5:57pm On Dec 15, 2022
Benekkk:
Time to scrap the useless NYSC program, one of the schemes being used to milk Nigeria’s resources dry! Is the nation more united as a result? Do the children of the privileged serve? How many ministers have been found to have evaded service? The ones killed by bandits or kidnapped due to “security” didn’t they die/suffer for nothing? Shame!

I agree with you absolutely. One of the waste conduits through which public funds is being drained.
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by stuffs2002: 6:01pm On Dec 15, 2022
Venom11:

Thats not true, school, IT, internships, etc are prob the first to working experiences...
If NYSC is not part of our education then further justify my claim, but then why do we go 2 orientation camp with plenty courses of skill introductions or so
How do they train people for future employment roles, it's an open secret that more than 80percent of student undergoing NYSC are bn dumped in old secondary schools.. Na yu are not correct.. Sir

This kind of bitterness is bad and learn to say what you know.

He is correct. NYSC forms part of your working experience particularly for fields like engineering where your professional experience is being counted. Both Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) and Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) recognises engineering experiences during NYSC.

Both NSE and COREN always kick against engineering graduates being posted to non engineering organisations for that same reason.
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by luckyz4rea(m): 6:03pm On Dec 15, 2022
abuja007:
NYSC can be avoided completely at your own risk because you cannot hold any government office and some private companies might not employ you without it.

No one knows tomorrow. Today you might not think of working for FG but in a few years time opportunity will come and the lack of NYSC will disqualify you.

Your view does not include those given exemption letter
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by stuffs2002: 6:05pm On Dec 15, 2022
Coldie:
If u want to serve, if u come from go to a city, why if are from a city make sure u do anything to go to a village.

I learnt how to swim during my nysc in a village in delta, nysc is so sweet u won’t understand this until u leave

All those village girls no let you rest abi wink

Some corpas need to go back to those villages to claim their pikins ooo grin
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 15, 2022
Sirchiboy:

Why are they attacking you?
Men don't like when women stand up to them toe to toe.
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by stuffs2002: 6:08pm On Dec 15, 2022
saintruky:
Omo since i graduate i never reason nysc o... Clearance sef i never do... I say make school hold d result first till i need am

"Graduates" wey no graduate plenty for town sha

Thank God for those of us wey weather the storm to graduate
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by stuffs2002: 6:08pm On Dec 15, 2022
Sweetplum:

Men don't like when women stand up to them toe to toe.

Speak for the type of men you mingle with.
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by asobo1: 6:14pm On Dec 15, 2022
iHateFraudsters:
It's not by force to serve.

You can apply for exemption.

On the other hand, you can just use your WAEC result for politics.

No stress yourself.
In a dynamic world like ours, you think WAEC would be the minimum requirements forever?
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Offpoint1: 6:21pm On Dec 15, 2022
BigDawsNet:

It's not compulsory, but it's mandatory..
Japa plan or not... I will advice you to go for ur your youth service den proceed with the next phase of your life... you may not need it now... but a time is coming... you will likely receive an appointment to serve ur nation which can really change ur life for better... that NYSC you ignore will come for u....

Lot of people in abroad hav returned home to hold some positions all because they hav dia NYSC intact...

While I was serving... I have people that returned from the States, EU and China nd so on just to server with us... they finish dia service and dey returned back.. they all had a reason why dey did dat.... a

So pls .. manage that 1 year... japa door will always be open...

God bless
Who introduced the fxckery in the first? A country with unable educational time frame is still practicing the use of wasteful one year irrelevance activities.

Where in the world is it practiced?

They should convert to an empower programme with good funds for individuals to start up their career.
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Bigfish121(m): 6:47pm On Dec 15, 2022
If you graduated before 30,you must serve whether you are 50 or 60.you will not be given any exemption.
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Venom11(m): 7:07pm On Dec 15, 2022
stuffs2002:

This kind of bitterness is bad and learn to say what you know.

He is correct. NYSC forms part of your working experience particularly for fields like engineering where your professional experience is being counted. Both Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) and Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) recognises engineering experiences during NYSC.

Both NSE and COREN always kick against engineering graduates being posted to non engineering organisations for that same reason.
It's no bitterness, but great points anyways,
First is NYSC, does NYSC comes before IT for the so called engineering student,? (facts)
2ndly..7/8 out of 10 guys doing/done.. Were teachers (facts)
I guess you didn't get me ok, what is the importantance of NYSC in itself? Values? Symbols, skills?
Tbh it feels like we are mechanizing 1979s technology on modern machines, make people benefit from program straight up they make money from it... No second party scam like civil service nonsense...
For NSE and COREN or cobra alias Titus.. Brouhaha.. Those na for paper, I understand existentialism from pragmatism.. Atleast, no be bitterness to ask from govt abi?
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by BigDawsNet: 8:25pm On Dec 15, 2022
Offpoint1:

Who introduced the fxckery in the first? A country with unable educational time frame is still practicing the use of wasteful one year irrelevance activities.

Where in the world is it practiced?

They should convert to an empower programme with good funds for individuals to start up their career.

The aims of the program is to help Nigerians citizens learn about other tribes, culture and heritage in Nigeria....

South Korea is practising something similar with NYSC... and d Korea youth service is a compulsory services... even SON a player of Tottenham had to go home to serve his country
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Darealudeme: 9:35pm On Dec 15, 2022
iHateFraudsters:
It's not by force to serve.

You can apply for exemption.

On the other hand, you can just use your WAEC result for politics.

No stress yourself.

Or Nepa bill grin
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Hannania(m): 9:38pm On Dec 15, 2022
nnadychuks:
Good day my people…

Pls is it a must that I must serve after completing my bsc? I don’t fancy that green khaki or working for a 33k monthly salary.

Don’t get me wrong o. last year I was excited to go for service b4 the major strike which lasted 8 months. By now I should’ve been done with anything school, but here I am in final year.

What are the disadvantages of not going for service? At least for someone who has japa plans
If you graduate before turning 30, you can leave it and comeback even at 70 and do it. The only valid reason people give is on Political post, forgetting that just 0.5% of our population will be politicains.

From my 100l in school, I've witnessed my senior colleagues go for Direct PHD in the US and till date they don't smell Nigeria. One of my High school mates that finished from Usman Danfodio University left Jan 2020. If you plan to japa, take the opportunity and NYSC should not be on your list unless you plan to comeback.

I honestly believe that thing should be scrapped. The aim of it has been defeated. We're not one in this country and it's just a Hoax this day.

When you Japa and politics starts to interest you, you will surely comeback to build structures. During the time, you can do it.

But it's a useless scheme

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by meobizy(f): 10:49pm On Dec 15, 2022
I had a friend who abandoned her PPA in Maiduguri to flex Abuja with me. After a while I felt like a demon for aiding someone's misguided daughter in avoiding protocol. She never completed the service and didn't receive a certificate. Today she's in America doing well. She bought land here, built houses and is a landlady over there. She exports cars to Nigeria as a side hustle.

If na japa dey your mind, focus on am squarely. NYSC is a slight inconvenience if you have tangible plans ahead. At worst you will come back to pay for a certificate if too old for the scheme. I saw many men over thirty-five running it for the experience.
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Haymus007(m): 10:58pm On Dec 15, 2022
PropertyScout:
Not everyone serves. You can get an exemption letter instead
Sorry how do they do that exactly please?
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by IbeOkehie: 11:28pm On Dec 15, 2022
Lanretoye:
If u are in your final year and still asking this kind of question then you should go back to year 1.

I was thinking the same.
lipsrsealed
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Coldie(m): 11:31pm On Dec 15, 2022
stuffs2002:

All those village girls no let you rest abi wink

Some corpas need to go back to those villages to claim their pikins ooo grin
Where I serve the villagers hate corpers with passion, part of wetin cause am na the bad records of previous corpers. 1set carry 3 village girls, underage secondary school girls for that matter travel go neighbouring town go dae wire them for almost 1week, village was in tension thinking they have been kidnapped only for them to return later on expose everything. Another set from decades ago have so many children in the village that village women and girls girls gave birth to for them only for them to disappear.
The worst of the worst one gay corper come do him own athrocities, corpers athrocities for the village many but na nysc I blame, since the village is too interior they only send corpers who refused to settle them at camp. During my nysc we were like 23 corper boys 2 corper girls, from our place to L.I going and coming as at present is almost 3k, from my house to my school going and coming 2h. With 19,800 allowance they were expecting us to be using that money to do what?
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by Politiculator: 2:51am On Dec 16, 2022
slimthugchimee2:

In some countries you will serve a mandatory 1 year in the military
I guessed you are talking about Israel because of its security situation which has helped them. In Nigeria, what use is underpaying you 33k when you can still provide them jobs?
Re: Is It A Must To Serve After Graduation? by CheapHomes1: 4:11am On Dec 16, 2022
nnadychuks:
Good day my people…

In this year and age, see question wey graduate de ask

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers / Batch B PCMs Keeping Vigil To Wait For NYSC Portal For Registration In Uyo / How Beneficial Are These Courses Corps Members Are Enticed To Take, After NYSC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.