Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,869 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:23 PM

Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home (23824 Views)

Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge / 15 Things You Missed In Far From Home (video) / Glamour Girls: Review And Ratings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by BeanX(m): 11:57am On Dec 17, 2022
Yuneehk:

You obviously didn't read what she wrote. And if you're only interested in finding a particular name, use Ctrl+F.
Keep shut!
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by IFSHR: 12:25pm On Dec 17, 2022
safarigirl:

Why was this an issue?

What I meant is that since dollar was 600naira in the movie, meaning the movie year should be 2021 or 2022. The iPhone 12 and 13 also mean film year is 2021 or 2022....so a scene where a match is being watched in a viewing centre and Samuel eto scoring should be a scenario in far back 2000 ...meaning that was a production mistake.

1 Like

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by olahero(m): 12:28pm On Dec 17, 2022
Is really a good movie.

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by SPAMBOX7: 12:57pm On Dec 17, 2022
Contango:
I actually thought you were referring to Marvel’s Spider-Man: Far from Home. Lol
Same here too cheesy
But I heard this particular movie is worth the watch too tho
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by safarigirl(f): 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2022
IFSHR:

What I meant is that since dollar was 600naira in the movie, meaning the movie year should be 2021 or 2022. The iPhone 12 and 13 also mean film year is 2021 or 2022....so a scene where a match is being watched in a viewing centre and Samuel eto scoring should be a scenario in far back 2000 ...meaning that was a production mistake.

Okay, I get this.

I honestly didn't care for the match being shown, so, I didn't notice Eto'o was on it.

Yeah, the movie is set in 2021 and the viewing centre scene could have been more accurate.
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by DollarSigns(m): 1:49pm On Dec 17, 2022
Samantha123:
The characters kinda look way too old to be playing as high school students.

Maybe the guys should've at least shaved their beard just to look younger.
A feeling Just like XX winkXv1deos.com grin
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by HajiaNotu: 2:25pm On Dec 17, 2022
I like the movie...

I find it hard to believe they are Nigerian actors.....Everyone embodied their role well....
I enjoyed watching it..
I hope Season 2 won't be boring tho!

2 Likes

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by Ologundudu2020: 3:32pm On Dec 17, 2022
IFSHR:

You get sense jare……. Been seeing those people rating the movie high to be some kids or those who never know the reality of life. Lots errors in the scripts…..these people should learn and endeavor do movie that will reflects normal or average Nigerian student life style. Imagine he (ishaya) alone stole, kidnapped, and even sold drugs, deal with some terrible people and never paid for none….yinmu lol to those rating the movie, if you do it, na jail.

Bleep the script writer for wasting my sub.
Meanwhile that “Bad comment” worst past.
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by internetpo(m): 5:01pm On Dec 17, 2022
Great review @safarigirl. Thoroughly enjoyed the series. And to think I was forced to watch it by my wife. The characters came to life particular mentions are Oga Rambo, Ishaya, Michael and even Derenle too. Zina was also great.

Cant wait for the season too.
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by iamL(f): 5:16pm On Dec 17, 2022
The cast are way too old for their role a serious turn off for me already.

The only Nigeria series that has kept the bar high for now is FLAWSOME.

2 Likes

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by Reussite: 7:15pm On Dec 17, 2022
safarigirl:
Phew! It's been a while I was on the streets, but there will be no dilly-dallying. Netflix closed the year for the Nigerian market with their much anticipated Young Adult series titled Far From Home.

It's a 5-episode series that tells the tale of a talented boy from a poor home, and how he makes it into a prestigious school for the rich. Quick details, before we get into the nitty gritty of things

Title: Far From Home

Director(s): Chinaza Onuzo, Dami Elebe

Writer(s): Dami Elebe, Chinaza Onuzo

Genre: Drama, Comedy

Actor(s): Funke Akindele, Richard Mofe-Damijo, Mike Afolarin, Elma Mbadiwe, Adesua Etomi, Bolanle Ninalowo, Bimbo Akintola

Run Time- 5 episodes of 1 hr Each (5 hrs)

Production: Netflix, Inkblot

Plot:

Ishaya Bello, a talented artist from a poor home, applies to a prestigious University in a bid to secure a $10,000 Scholarship fund. His grand plan hits a glitch, when he realises he's not entitled to the cash grant. Ishaya resorts to making deals with criminal characters, in a bid to recover various amounts he's sunk into his dream. This leads him into dangerous situations, while trying to settle into a school he doesn't quite fit into.

Review:

Okay, to the thick of it. Prior to this series premier, Netflix and the entire production team got a lot of flack, specifically on Twitter, for everything from casting choices to the reality of the movie's premise.

While this contributed to publicity, it was negative publicity for the most part. However, the series puts to bed so many of the criticisms.

First off, I want to start with the plotline. To be honest, I was halfway through the first episode, waiting for the action to start, while trying to make sense of how this guy who seems a bit older than the average Secondary School student, would pass as one. If this is your worry, let me help you now by telling you that the school is supposed to be for Advanced Levels (A'Levels), which typically comes after Secondary School (O'Levels), so, if the seeming age discrepancies are your grouse, you can shrug that off and keep it moving.

Now, to the rest of the movie. It did follow the somewhat popular trope of "street kid in a rich school, selling drugs to the privileged kids and catching the eye of the most popular girl in school", but it followed it well enough. Ishaya Bello's (Afolarin) entire involvement with Wilmer Academy, and then subsequently, the criminal duo of Rambo (Ninalowo) and Ijoba alias Government (Franklin), is a result of his desperation to fulfill his dream of being an artist. Most of his decisions equally follow this desperation, so much that he ends up betraying friends and family at certain points.

Following the continued "Americanization" of Nollywood, Wilmer Academy, the school the series is set in, aligns with everything expected in an American school; cheerleaders and football players (only, actual football, not that eggball the Americans play obviously), mean boys and girls, outcasts (although, this line is blurred pretty fast), and Founders Day Ball, which is just some form of Prom. However, while you may be tempted to snicker a couple of times as an alumni of a Public school, bear in mind, that we don't know what goes on with the bourgeoise grin.

The writing was quite good, shout out to Dami Elebe, the Headwriter and her team. The vision was there, and was translated well. There were scenes that seemed problematic at the time they were happening, however, later scenes cleared up whatever issues that may have arisen.

Now, to dabble into perhaps, the most controversial part of the series for many, CASTING. To be honest, a lot of people were just mad that people who we assumed were playing teenagers, had too much facial hair to pass. In defence, the promo pictures did them no favours. However, the casting was quite good. Elma Mbadiwe was great as Carmen, the troubled daughter of the school's owners,
there were moments when she'd remind me of Kerry Washington with her facial features. Mike Afolarin's gemu eventually didn't matter so much, as he pulled off the role of Ishaya Bello brilliantly. Bucci Franklin as always, was stellar as Government. Bolanle Ninalowo earned my applause, because while Rambo was an offshoot of the character he absolutely owned in Picture Perfect, 'Jobe', he was indeed a fearful crime lord. He murdered every scene, and did a clean up afterward. Emeka Nwagbaraocha, who plays Frank, may be familiar to some after his role in RattleSnake as the Techkid. As Frank, he executes the role of a timid, good-natured kid, really well. I rather enjoyed his first interaction with Rahila (Tomi Ojo), Ishaya's sister. Olumide Oworu really makes an unlikeable character in the manipulative and egoistic, Atlas, Carmen's (Mbadiwe) sweetheart. Another actor who shone, was someone we never even got to see in the promo videos or poster- Natse Jemide, who plays Reggie, one of the students. Soon as I saw this kid, I sat up, because "Hollup! Why ain't his picture on the posters?" If they moved this kid from the show and threw him into some American movie, he'd not look out of place. He embodied the chill vibes you'd expect from the cool, rich kid. Possibly my favourite character from the series. I look forward to seeing more of him in Nollywood, his aura is immaculate.

I really liked that for the most part, the more established actors played a background role to the kids. The likes of RMD, Bimbo Akintola, Carolyn King, Linda Ejiofor-Suleiman and Adesua Etomi-Wellington play their role as Faculty very well, Funke Akindele and Paul Adams also tug some heartstrings as the parents of Ishaya Bello, Netflix' best guy, Deyemi Okanlawon also brings the suave as the celebrated artist, Essien. Guest appearances by Chioma Chukwura, Ufuoma McDermott, Yemi Blaq, Femi Branch, FunnyBone, Ibrahim Suleiman, Erica Nlewedim, and Oge Okoye wrap everything up pretty well.

Overall, the casting was good, new faces were introduced and I'm pretty hopeful the Nollywood space will be kind to them.

As with most Netflix productions, the cinematography, sound, lighting and overall production was very good. They did not spare usage of Nigerian music with the soundtracks, and I particularly liked the blending of Fave's Baby with the dialogue in a scene. The series is set in Lagos, and while we're made aware of the wealth of some of the students, the houses shown didn't have repulsively extravagant decor. They looked classy enough, without being tacky.

Far From Home is a great series, and I do hope it gets a second season. It explores themes of friendship, betrayal, family, self discovery, sacrifice, to name a few.

I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it for a watch this festive season. The pilot episode starts slow, but once you settle in, it's quite interesting.

Rating: 8/10

Have you seen the series? If yes, what are your thoughts? If no, what are you waiting for? undecided
I just started out on episode 1 & already I am loving it so well much more than Flawsome.
I just know I would see your review by now grin & yes it’s a worthy series.
I equally complained when I saw the cast on twitter last month thinking what kind of teenage representation this is but the cast have not disappointed so far. smiley
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by chigoizie7(m): 7:40pm On Dec 17, 2022
observanc1:
so u write all this grammar without mentioning Erica's name as part of the cast.

Erica didn’t play a major role, there are so many big stars that featured in the movie whose name were not mentioned. Erica only appeared in few scenes.
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by Vulcanheph(m): 7:51pm On Dec 17, 2022
tuzle:
just compare the supposed student in this and the ones in Wednesday. This people look too old to be A level students and still wearing uniform
I agree... The casting in the movie was so wrong. The actors used looked way too old to be in secondary schools.
The show producers didn't even try to look for any means to make them look younger via make up or being clean shaven.

In the WEDNESDAY series, you can clearly see that the actors casted were made to look younger. (The girls playing Wednesday and Bianca are both 24 and 27 respectively but the producers found ways to make them look younger.)

This is why I don't be watch naija movies because they producers and directors Don't pay attention to little details.

1 Like

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by safarigirl(f): 8:02pm On Dec 17, 2022
iamL:
The cast are way too old for their role a serious turn off for me already.

The only Nigeria series that has kept the bar high for now is FLAWSOME.

The cast aren't way too old, not at all.

As for Flawsome, I am yet to finish it. I watched the first episode, and it is basically the most boring pilot episode I've seen in a while, and I haven't gone back to continue since. I might go back and finish just so I can review.

Have you watched Diiche? Now, that's an interesting and engaging series. Flawsome was the follow up series after Diiche, so, it probably contributed to why it didn't quite hit for me. Also, after watching Smart Money Woman, Flawsome seems like a mimic of SMW.

2 Likes

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by MT: 8:08pm On Dec 17, 2022
I watched the first episode and lost interest, The storyline is crappy and some of the characters are wacky.

1 Like

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by tuzle(m): 8:11pm On Dec 17, 2022
Vulcanheph:

I agree... The casting in the movie was so wrong. The actors used looked way too old to be in secondary schools.
The show producers didn't even try to look for any means to make them look younger via make up or being clean shaven.

In the WEDNESDAY series, you can clearly see that the actors casted were made to look younger. (The girls playing Wednesday and Bianca are both 24 and 27 respectively but the producers found ways to make them look younger.)

This is why I don't be watch naija movies because they producers and directors Don't pay attention to little details.
the girl playing Wednesday is 20.
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by safarigirl(f): 8:13pm On Dec 17, 2022
Vulcanheph:

First of all, Wilmer Academy is not supposed to be a Secondary School. It's supposed to be post Secondary School, as opposed to Wendesday that is an actual Secondary School.

Secondly, Carmen, Frank and Reggie definitely looked age appropriate, so, I don't know why you guys are saying they look old. Jenna Ortega that plays Wednesday is actually 20, not 24, and Bianca only looks younger to you because she's in an American series most likely. She doesn't look younger than the girl who plays Carmen on Far From Home.

I also thought these guys looked old, but then I watched the series, and no, they don't look old. Also, you should compare the case of Far From Home, to similar themed series like the cast of Elite and Blood & Water, not Wednesday. The aesthetics used in film production differ according to the theme.

1 Like

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by zicoraads: 8:40pm On Dec 17, 2022
safarigirl:

The cast aren't way too old, not at all.

As for Flawsome, I am yet to finish it. I watched the first episode, and it is basically the most boring pilot episode I've seen in a while, and I haven't gone back to continue since. I might go back and finish just so I can review.

Have you watched Diiche? Now, that's an interesting and engaging series. Flawsome was the follow up series after Diiche, so, it probably contributed to why it didn't quite hit for me. Also, after watching Smart Money Woman, Flawsome seems like a mimic of SMW.
I also think the cast should have been younger, especially the main character.

Regent Schools in Abuja also has A level. Foundation classes too, similar to what was portrayed in the movie. Their kids are nothing like these ones. They're very young, even though they're all post secondary school students.
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by ikalom: 9:07pm On Dec 17, 2022
Great review. I watched this morning. Here is my rating. Far from home comes so close to Netflix Blood and Water. I give it 7/10
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by safarigirl(f): 10:10pm On Dec 17, 2022
zicoraads:

I also think the cast should have been younger, especially the main character.

Regent Schools in Abuja also has A level. Foundation classes too, similar to what was portrayed in the movie. Their kids are nothing like these ones. They're very young, even though they're all post secondary school students.

They tend to use older people to play certain roles, usually because the script is 18+, and the characters will have to do adult things.

If you watch a series like Euphoria, the main characters are all in their mid-20's to early 30's. The lead male in Never Have I Ever is almost 40 years old.

The cast of Far From Home aren't old. Maybe if the lead male had cut his beard, he would have seemed younger, but the lead female and the people who played Frank, Reggie, Zina and Rahila all looked young enough for the movie.

When I first saw the cast, I had suggested that Rodney on Tiktok should be cast in it, because he seemed younger than some. I think another person I had imagined, was Susan Pwajok, that is Blessing on The Johnsons, because she's like 20 years old at most, but could also pass for a teenager.

But by the time I watched it, I was fine with the casting. Even Olumide, the guy who plays Atlas, can also look young, the beard was what aged him, but the beard also adds to his general aura as a 'bad boy'

2 Likes

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by africandollar: 10:59pm On Dec 17, 2022
The movie director(s) must be fans of Show Dem Camp. Roughly more than 50% of the soundtracks for the movie were from their albums. I love their music by the way. cool
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by Tzar9ja(m): 12:34am On Dec 18, 2022
Abeg who read am make me try summarize am.
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by zed7: 5:50am On Dec 18, 2022
It's an ok movie, they tried too much to copy American schools. The production was good though.

Please don't make a part 2, quit while the ovation is loud.

1 Like

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by Babamide(m): 9:01am On Dec 18, 2022
Feels like a paid review. You are trying too hard to defend the movie
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by safarigirl(f): 9:20am On Dec 18, 2022
Babamide:
Feels like a paid review. You are trying too hard to defend the movie

I have never been paid to review anything in my life

I defend the movie because that is how I am when I like something. I hate that anytime I am defending anything on this site someone says I am getting paid for it, I don't get paid to do anything else but write stories. I do reviews because I like writing.

I don't think the movie is as awesome as people on Twitter say it is, but I definitely don't think it has some of the issues people on Nairaland are pointing out.
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by purplegirl2002: 7:05am On Dec 19, 2022
There were about five writers involved in this series. You should have read the credits properly or at least taken note of the names as you watched the episodes
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by sanerugwei: 10:08am On Dec 19, 2022
Ok, will try to binge watch this one this holiday weekend.
Thanks for the review. I hope it will measure up.
I watched RICHES, it was really nice, with the slight Naija, UK and USA plot... tho no major Nollywood acts but some 9ja folks in diaspora did that..
On Amazon Prime tho...

safarigirl:

It's not on Netflix, it's on Prime Video.
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by pretydiva(f): 3:55pm On Dec 20, 2022
Badgers14:
I am seeing very decent nollywood movies on Netflix this days... enough of all these king and queen nollywood movies grin
Pls can you list some for me, so I can download?
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by Badgers14: 6:54pm On Dec 20, 2022
pretydiva:

Pls can you list some for me, so I can download?

The griot

U-turn

My inlaw

That's the 3 I remember now.

You can also type nollywood movies in the search box.

1 Like

Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by pretydiva(f): 2:29am On Dec 21, 2022
Badgers14:

The griot

U-turn

My inlaw

That's the 3 I remember now.

You can also type nollywood movies in the search box.
Thanks
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by Badgers14: 3:32am On Dec 21, 2022
pretydiva:

Thanks

I just watched hakkunde today. It's nice
Re: Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home by AYmoneytips: 8:02am On Dec 21, 2022

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Need Subtitle For Money Heist Season Two / 12 Romantic Movies To Watch On Valentine Day / Bbnaija Is Demonic Says Mummy GO (pics/vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.