Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,334 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge (22795 Views)

Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review / Review And Rating: Netflix Far From Home / Blood Sisters: Ratings And Review (Nigerian Movie On Netflix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by safarigirl(f): 1:57pm On Jan 02
Happy New Year Guys!

In a bid to be a bit more consistent with my writing this New Year, hopefully, I'll be doing a lot more reviews of Nigerian movies on this site, and I will also be adding TV Series where I can.

Most of my reviews may be of productions that have made it to Streaming services, as opposed to those with Cinema debut, mostly because fewer people will have access to Cinema productions, and I do enjoy feedback from people who have watched a production (A Tribe Called Judah might be the exception, let me know if y'all think I should review it before it makes it to streaming)

Anyway, let me not bore with plenty chat. Without further ado, I'm opening with the EbonyLife and Netflix Production, War: Wrath and Revenge, a continuation of the highly successful Sons of The Caliphate.

Now, if you haven't watched Sons of The Caliphate, you may choose to revert to it before watching this, however, you may also watch this as a Standalone, and you'd still get the gist of it.

This was released on the 28th of December on Netflix and is a 6-part Mini series, each Episode is 30-minutes long except the Finale, which is about 42-minutes long.

So, let's get into this production.

Title: War: Wrath and Revenge
Production: TV Series
Cast:
Rahama Sadau
Mofe Duncan
Yakubu Mohammed
Ifeanyi Kalu
Theresa Edem-Isemin
Bikiya Graham-Douglas
Patrick Doyle
Ayoola Ayolola
Uzee Usman
Executive Producer: Mo Abudu
Screenplay: Karachi Atiya, Adze Ugah
Creator/Director: Dimbo Atiya.
Run Time: 192 minutes (6 Episodes)

Plot:
The quest for power continues in the state of Kowa, as Nuhu Bula goes up against incumbent Governor Sanusi, in an upcoming election. Various interests at play lead to the uncovering of conspiracies and resurrection of old foes.

Review:

Now, I must say, the trailer of this series alone was quite mouthwatering and promising in its own right. I've found something of a new interest in seeking out Nollywood stories told outside the Lagos hegemony, so, this production kept to that requirement for me. The exploration of the Northern political scene (and perhaps Nigeria at large) using a fictional state is quite refreshing. We see the depiction of a Northern elite jostling for power with strategic alignments and decisions.

As regards the story itself, it is well told. Each of the characters is fleshed out in such a way that you can see them being actual power players in the political scene; we have the guy with good intentions, albeit poor guidance, his very ambitious wife who doesn't quite share his naivety, a power hungry incumbent willing to do whatever to remain in office, the upstanding police officer whose attempts to do right is often sabotaged by higher ups, the old friend with a vendetta after surviving a betrayal, and then the seemingly pious friend with no desire for political explorations, who is, in fact, the puppet master pulling the strings unseen.

Each character is believable, but even moreso, beyond the believable nature of the characters, the actors who play these roles fully embody their characters. Rahama Sadau, Mofe Duncan, Yakubu Mohammed and Patrick Doyle reprise their roles from Sons of The Caliphate as Binta Kutigi-Bula, Nuhu Bula, Dikko Loko and General Umar Loko. Rahama Sadau puts in a glorious shift in that role, she manifests the ambitious wife of Nuhu Bula, willing to cross lines her innocent husband is never fully aware of. Binta is ruthless in her quest for power and every word, every inflection and every gesture from Rahama in that role, fully signifies this. It is perhaps, one of her best performances, if not her best. She becomes the villain you find yourself rooting for, or even more, wanting to be. She oozes the sort of power you imagine a woman should possess to be a power house. Of the main characters, we see the introduction of a new, but formidable character in Buba Koda, played by Ifeanyi Kalu. Buba is your quintessential Northern elite, a member of the royal family poised to be Emir after the unexpected death of Khalifa. He's also a loverboy of sorts, courting his girlfriend, Alicia Kama, who he's eager to make his Mrs. You get the feeling Buba is the new Khalifa, however, the lengths of his quest for power are not immediately obvious.

Which brings me to another positive part of this series; the writing. Honestly, writing is something I am very particular about in productions. Not just with the story structure and plotline, but particularly with the dialogue. A story is as good as its dialogue and the dialogue in War: Wrath and Revenge is very very good. This is most obvious in the scene Binta confronts Nuhu with his infidelity, and then goes on to reveal to him that she was responsible for the plane crash that led to the death of Khalifa. The acting is top-notch, but the writing is absolutely thrilling itself. The infusion of Hausa in conversations is also commendable. To be honest, there may have been scenes that called for more Hausa than English, but I can't say if that failure is more on the writers or the actors inability to perhaps speak as fluently...but that's a different kettle of tea, I'd rather not digress.

Now, another thing I like is the wardrobe. See, the outfits each of the actors wore was giving Northern high fashion. Binta Bula's wardrobe is the stuff of dreams, each outfit is very much modest, but still very stylish, Alicia Kama also has an admirable collection of corporate wears, I'm not as versed as I'd like to be as regards Arewa male fashion, however, I have seen a good number of more attuned persons who have praise for the style on Nuhu Bula and Buba Koda, there is particular admiration for Buba's caps. Personally, the tailoring of the outfits caught my eye the most. I look out for fabric quality and tailoring a lot, and the tailoring of Nuhu Bula and Buba Koda's clothes are impeccable.

The setting is also very good, like I said, it's set in a fictional state, but the actual shoot is done in Abuja I believe. We see the affluence associated with the Northern elite where necessary, and simplicity where necessary.

The cinematography is nice. Once again, great angles. I particularly liked how the approach of certain characters are captured from behind them, so, we see everything ahead of them. It was my favourite part of the cinematography. Effects were good, the shooting scenes did not look ridiculous. Even when a character was shot pointblank in the head, it was well done.

Now that we're done with the positives, a few issues observed, starting with the writing. As earlier stated, Nuhu should have used more Hausa in certain scenes, Pandita Agu as Alima, Nuhu's mistress, spoke more Hausa than Mofe as Nuhu in the entire production. There's a scene Nuhu Bula is addressing the people of a small village, and he uses English, which wouldn't apply in reality. Like I said, this may not be so much a failure from the writer's end, than an accommodation of the actor's limitations with the language. Furthermore, while well done, certain scenes just look like overkill eg. Why is Boston Bobby Brown, who is simply contracted to investigate an air crash, suddenly doubling as a detective, and martial arts blackbelt holder with a thirst for justice? Really, what is his business in all of this, aside his seeming infatuation with the beautiful Alicia Kama? He went to lengths he really shouldn't have bothered with if we're being real. Just close your investigation and go. Secondly, once again, sticking to reality, there is no way on election day, that any media house will give you airtime to reveal some grand conspiracy about the Governorship aspirant and some other high profile personalities. It's another case of from where to where? And in today's Nigeria, such revelations won't have the impact that we see it have in the final scene. The outline of events in the final episode are quite iffy to be honest, not enough to significantly impact how good the story is in general, because the plot twist is still too good, but if you're particular about story seamlessness, it may grind your gears a bit, but if you're out for a good watch, you'll be fine.

In all things, bear in mind that creatives do not necessarily have to stick to what obtains in reality. They can spice up their fictional society despite inspiration from reality.

Now, to my favourite scene in this series. Aside Binta's confrontation of her cheating husband, my favourite scene has to be where Buba rescues Alicia from an irate mob, and reads his cousin the Riot Act. Ladies and Gentlemen, that's what an Alpha Male looks like, that's the sort of masculine energy that is appreciated.

My favourite performances are Rahama Sadau as Binta Bula, Ifeanyi Kalu as Buba Koda, Patrick Doyle as Umar Loko, and Daniel Okosun as Sambisa, Governor Sanusi's henchman. I really enjoyed Okosun's portrayal of the character, it was quite authentic.

Overall, this series is a really good watch, and I look forward to the second season.

Rating: 7.8/10

Binge or Bin: Binge.

So, have you seen this series? If yes, what are your thoughts?

14 Likes

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by maidaboi(m): 8:50am On Jan 04
Love it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by Olaoluwa122: 9:55am On Jan 04
I will rate the movie a solid 7/10 it was a good watch

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by masterfactor(m): 12:28pm On Jan 04
The movie is great, Patrick Doyle killed his role abeg, you will think that he is a hausa man.

5 Likes

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by safarigirl(f): 2:16pm On Jan 04
masterfactor:
The movie is great, Patrick Doyle killed his role abeg, you will think that he is a hausa man.

He thoroughly impressed me, and not just with his knowledge of the language, but with the accent as well.

A few of the other actors didn't quite hit the accent at times, and they would only remember themselves occasionally, but Patrick was consistent. He and Daniel Okosun were solid with intonation.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by masterfactor(m): 3:44pm On Jan 04
safarigirl:

He thoroughly impressed me, and not just with his knowledge of the language, but with the accent as well.

A few of the other actors didn't quite hit the accent at times, and they would only remember themselves occasionally, but Patrick was consistent. He and Daniel Okosun were solid with intonation.

True, the movie is 9/10 for me, it would have been 10/10, but some of those actor didn't have that hausa Accent especially Buba Koda.

18 Likes

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by safarigirl(f): 3:58pm On Jan 04
masterfactor:

True, the movie is 9/10 for me, it would have been 10/10, but some of those actor didn't have that hausa Accent especially Buba Koda.

Buba Koda and Nuhu Bula both didn't have the accent. Nuhu Bula's own worried me because the accent was fluctuating with him. I would have preferred if it stayed neutral like Buba Koda's own, because then I wouldn't think to look out for it.

Meanwhile, Buba was even my favourite character, perhaps because I know malo guys that are exactly like him, looks and all.

Oh, Padita Agu as Amal was also very good with the Hausa, and I don't just mean the accent, aside the Hausa actors, she spoke a lot of Hausa, more Hausa than Nuhu Bula spoke the entire series.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by safarigirl(f): 4:08pm On Jan 04
Double post

1 Like

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by 1Alex: 5:22pm On Jan 05
Okay
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by atobs4real(m): 5:23pm On Jan 05
Advertise your film and let us see how you wave.
Out Lagos film are not bad but can't be compared to Funke

1 Like

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by atobs4real(m): 5:24pm On Jan 05
Advertise your film and let us see how you wave.
Out Lagos film are not bad but can't be compared to Funke
Mr. Promoter

1 Like

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by YoungLionken(m): 5:24pm On Jan 05
It's all about movies this January, it's okay...
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by Fatbam005: 5:26pm On Jan 05
I hope it will affect the price of rice in d market

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by datopaper(m): 5:26pm On Jan 05
D
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by mctech(m): 5:27pm On Jan 05
Where can we get to download these movies?
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by ada9ja(f): 5:28pm On Jan 05
Am bored
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by Shellsploit: 5:28pm On Jan 05
Na who no get sense dey watch naija movie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by rxmusa(m): 5:29pm On Jan 05
The movie is really interesting

1 Like

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by AlabiKILLER2023: 5:29pm On Jan 05
safarigirl:
Happy New Year Guys!

In a bid to be a bit more consistent with my writing this New Year, hopefully, I'll be doing a lot more reviews of Nigerian movies on this site, and I will also be adding TV Series where I can.

Most of my reviews may be of productions that have made it to Streaming services, as opposed to those with Cinema debut, mostly because fewer people will have access to Cinema productions, and I do enjoy feedback from people who have watched a production (A Tribe Called Judah might be the exception, let me know if y'all think I should review it before it makes it to streaming)

Anyway, let me not bore with plenty chat. Without further ado, I'm opening with the EbonyLife and Netflix Production, War: Wrath and Revenge, a continuation of the highly successful Sons of The Caliphate.

Now, if you haven't watched Sons of The Caliphate, you may choose to revert to it before watching this, however, you may also watch this as a Standalone, and you'd still get the gist of it.

This was released on the 28th of December on Netflix and is a 6-part Mini series, each Episode is 30-minutes long except the Finale, which is about 42-minutes long.

Cast:
Rahama Sadau
Mofe Duncan
Yakubu Mohammed
Ifeanyi Kalu
Theresa Edem-Isemin
Bikiya Graham-Douglas
Patrick Doyle
Ayoola Ayolola
Uzee Usman

Plot:
The quest for power continues in the state of Kowa, as Nuhu Bula goes up against incumbent Governor Sanusi, in an upcoming election. Various interests at play lead to the uncovering of conspiracies and resurrection of old foes.

Review:

Now, I must say, the trailer of this series alone was quite mouthwatering and promising in its own right. I've found something of a new interest in seeking out Nollywood stories told outside the Lagos hegemony, so, this production kept to that requirement for me. The exploration of the Northern political scene (and perhaps Nigeria at large) using a fictional state is quite refreshing. We see the depiction of a Northern elite jostling for power with strategic alignments and decisions.

As regards the story itself, it is well told. Each of the characters is fleshed out in such a way that you can see them being actual power players in the political scene; we have the guy with good intentions, albeit poor guidance, his very ambitious wife who doesn't quite share his naivety, a power hungry incumbent willing to do whatever to remain in office, the upstanding police officer whose attempts to do right is often sabotaged by higher ups, the old friend with a vendetta after surviving a betrayal, and then the seemingly pious friend with no desire for political explorations, who is, in fact, the puppet master pulling the strings unseen.

Each character is believable, but even moreso, beyond the believable nature of the characters, the actors who play these roles fully embody their characters. Rahama Sadau, Mofe Duncan, Yakubu Mohammed and Patrick Doyle reprise their roles from Sons of The Caliphate as Binta Kutigi-Bula, Nuhu Bula, Dikko Loko and General Umar Loko. Rahama Sadau puts in a glorious shift in that role, she manifests the ambitious wife of Nuhu Bula, willing to cross lines her innocent husband is never fully aware of. Binta is ruthless in her quest for power and every word, every inflection and every gesture from Rahama in that role, fully signifies this. It is perhaps, one of her best performances, if not her best. She becomes the villain you find yourself rooting for, or even more, wanting to be. She oozes the sort of power you imagine a woman should possess to be a power house. Of the main characters, we see the introduction of a new, but formidable character in Buba Koda, played by Ifeanyi Kalu. Buba is your quintessential Northern elite, a member of the royal family poised to be Emir after the unexpected death of Khalifa. He's also a loverboy of sorts, courting his girlfriend, Alicia Kama, who he's eager to make his Mrs. You get the feeling Buba is the new Khalifa, however, the lengths of his quest for power are not immediately obvious.

Which brings me to another positive part of this series; the writing. Honestly, writing is something I am very particular about in productions. Not just with the story structure and plotline, but particularly with the dialogue. A story is as good as its dialogue and the dialogue in War: Wrath and Revenge is very very good. This is most obvious in the scene Binta confronts Nuhu with his infidelity, and then goes on to reveal to him that she was responsible for the plane crash that led to the death of Khalifa. The acting is top-notch, but the writing is absolutely thrilling itself. The infusion of Hausa in conversations is also commendable. To be honest, there may have been scenes that called for more Hausa than English, but I can't say if that failure is more on the writers or the actors inability to perhaps speak as fluently...but that's a different kettle of tea, I'd rather not digress.

Now, another thing I like is the wardrobe. See, the outfits each of the actors wore was giving Northern high fashion. Binta Bula's wardrobe is the stuff of dreams, each outfit is very much modest, but still very stylish, Alicia Kama also has an admirable collection of corporate wears, I'm not as versed as I'd like to be as regards Arewa male fashion, however, I have seen a good number of more attuned persons who have praise for the style on Nuhu Bula and Buba Koda, there is particular admiration for Buba's caps. Personally, the tailoring of the outfits caught my eye the most. I look out for fabric quality and tailoring a lot, and the tailoring of Nuhu Bula and Buba Koda's clothes are impeccable.

The setting is also very good, like I said, it's set in a fictional state, but the actual shoot is done in Abuja I believe. We see the affluence associated with the Northern elite where necessary, and simplicity where necessary.

The cinematography is nice. Once again, great angles. I particularly liked how the approach of certain characters are captured from behind them, so, we see everything ahead of them. It was my favourite part of the cinematography. Effects were good, the shooting scenes did not look ridiculous. Even when a character was shot pointblank in the head, it was well done.

Now that we're done with the positives, a few issues observed, starting with the writing. As earlier stated, Nuhu should have used more Hausa in certain scenes, Pandita Agu as Alima, Nuhu's mistress, spoke more Hausa than Mofe as Nuhu in the entire production. There's a scene Nuhu Bula is addressing the people of a small village, and he uses English, which wouldn't apply in reality. Like I said, this may not be so much a failure from the writer's end, than an accommodation of the actor's limitations with the language. Furthermore, while well done, certain scenes just look like overkill eg. Why is Boston Bobby Brown, who is simply contracted to investigate an air crash, suddenly doubling as a detective, and martial arts blackbelt holder with a thirst for justice? Really, what is his business in all of this, aside his seeming infatuation with the beautiful Alicia Kama? He went to lengths he really shouldn't have bothered with if we're being real. Just close your investigation and go. Secondly, once again, sticking to reality, there is no way on election day, that any media house will give you airtime to reveal some grand conspiracy about the Governorship aspirant and some other high profile personalities. It's another case of from where to where? And in today's Nigeria, such revelations won't have the impact that we see it have in the final scene. The outline of events in the final episode are quite iffy to be honest, not enough to significantly impact how good the story is in general, because the plot twist is still too good, but if you're particular about story seamlessness, it may grind your gears a bit, but if you're out for a good watch, you'll be fine.

In all things, bear in mind that creatives do not necessarily have to stick to what obtains in reality. They can spice up their fictional society despite inspiration from reality.

Now, to my favourite scene in this series. Aside Binta's confrontation of her cheating husband, my favourite scene has to be where Buba rescues Alicia from an irate mob, and reads his cousin the Riot Act. Ladies and Gentlemen, that's what an Alpha Male looks like, that's the sort of masculine energy that is appreciated.

My favourite performances are Rahama Sadau as Binta Bula, Ifeanyi Kalu as Buba Koda, Patrick Doyle as Umar Loko, and Daniel Okosun as Sambisa, Governor Sanusi's henchman. I really enjoyed Okosun's portrayal of the character, it was quite authentic.

Overall, this series is a really good watch, and I look forward to the second season.

Rating: 7.8/10

Binge or Bin: Binge.

Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by IDENNAA(m): 5:31pm On Jan 05
safarigirl:

Rahama Sadau, Patrick Doyle, Mofe Duncan and Ifeanyi Kalu were impressive. This series is actually a continuation of the Sons of Caliphate. I never miss any northern film production. They have professionals unlike our Igbo Onicha and Asaba nollywood handling the production.

That beautiful girl Rahama Sadau is currently my favourite Nigerian actress. So classy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by forgiveness: 5:33pm On Jan 05
Me never see am. Series!!! Time taker
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by Dnet9dnet: 5:33pm On Jan 05
Rated number 1 out of top 10
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by Wealthoptulent(m): 5:36pm On Jan 05
safarigirl:
Happy New Year Guys!

Cast:
Rahama Sadau
Mofe Duncan
Yakubu Mohammed
Ifeanyi Kalu
Theresa Edem-Isemin
Bikiya Graham-Douglas
Patrick Doyle
Ayoola Ayolola
Uzee Usman

Plot:

Review:

I go come back to comment tomoz eve, I go watch fess
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by Fabbyking: 5:43pm On Jan 05
Where can it be downloaded
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by Waterlilly: 5:45pm On Jan 05
I hardly watch movies these days, documentary things always
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by Waterlilly: 5:45pm On Jan 05
T54fvhvf:
:
you nor tire
Re: Rating And Review: War: Wrath And Revenge by Goodvibes007: 5:45pm On Jan 05
I watched this yesterday. It's a continuation of the sons of the caliphate.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Of The Best & Worst Nollywood Movie Posters / Has Telemundo Overtaken Africa-Magic Among Nigerian Female Viewers? / Big Brother Will Feature Nigerian And South Africa In 2023 House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.