Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,229 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) (49664 Views)

Top 30 Countries With Highest Number Of Skyscrapers / Gully Erosion Destroys Over 30 Buildings,Displaces Over 50,000 People In Anambra / Top 30 Countries With The Best Roads In Africa – 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 1:22pm On Dec 17, 2022
I have gained some insights into different societies and cultures, by traveling far and wide. Not as a weekend tourist, but spending extended time in those places, and living an everyday life. Some of that information/experience might be useful to someone here.

The main point of this AMAA is mostly to answer questions of curiosity. Just random things you wonder about more obscure and less popular places (which I prefer to visit). I'm calling it "Ask Me Almost Anything," because I will not be answering certain questions.

Some questions I can't answer:

1. Questions about visa processes: I simply don't know, as I travel visa-free on a US passport, in almost all cases.

2. Questions about "hustling" as a documented or undocumented resident.

I have a web-based business in the US. So I work remotely, wherever I am.

A few things to note:

1. When I say "lived in a country," I don't mean permanently. I use that for countries I spend at least 1 month. I typically spend anywhere from 1- 3 months per country. In a few cases, I've stayed as long as 6, 10 and 12 months in some countries.

2. I travel on a US passport. I keep renewing my Naija passport each time it expires, but I never actually use it. Latest one I got in New York expired some months ago. I only used it once, in visiting Naija.

3. I am less interested in visiting "first world countries," as I find them boring. So most of my travels are to developing countries, but mostly those I still have access to solid accommodation and amenities. I have a business to run, so I can't be without reliable internet.

I find these countries more diverse in culture and lifestyle. First world countries are too structured and predictable.

4. I don't stay in hotels. I rent full Airbnb apartments, as I typically stay in a place for a few months and prefer to feel at home. I only stay in a hotel, if I need to, for 1-2 days while in transit, or something.

5. I've been learning Spanish for a long time, and speak decent enough conversational Spanish, and basic Portuguese.

Some countries I've been (including Nigeria, where I grew up):

Africa:
1. Nigeria
2. Benin Republic
3. Ethiopia (multiple visits)
4. South Africa

Latin America (South, Central, North):
5. Brazil
6. Colombia (multiple visits)
7. Argentina
8. Uruguay
9. Ecuador
10. Chile
11. Costa Rica
12. Peru
13. Panama
14. Dominican Republic
15. Mexico
16. Paraguay

Europe:
17. England (multiple visits)
18. Portugal
19. Netherlands (Amsterdam)

Asia:
20. Thailand (multiple visits)
21. Vietnam
22. Singapore
23. Indonesia
24. Philippines
25. Hong Kong
26. South Korea
27. China
28. Malaysia

North America:
29. USA (where I live)
30. Canada

Bonus (transits only, without bothering to leave the airport)
31. Moscow, Russia - 6 hours
32. Lome, Togo
33. Doha, Qatar

Current location: Buenos Aires, Argentina (Yes, there will be epic street parties if Argentina wins tomorrow!)

All pictures I post on this thread were taken with my phone. None are edited in any way.

124 Likes 15 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Prechgold1180(m): 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2022
Wow
I envy u

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2022
How would you compare latin american countries to African countries.

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 1:46pm On Dec 17, 2022
[MAY 2023 UPDATE: SINCE THIS THREAD HAS SERVED ITS PURPOSE, I HAVE NOW REMOVED ALL THREAD PICS, FOR PERSONAL REASONS]

NOTE:

- PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THE ENTIRE ORIGINAL POST, TO ASK A QUESTION OR MAKE A COMMENT, AS IT'S LONG.

- Please keep your questions about general travel and things you're curious about. Not work, hustle, relocation etc. Thanks!

Additional Info, since some will inevitably ask, or wonder: WHAT DO I DO FOR A LIVING?

To preface, I'm not just "roughing it" out here. I have paid my dues in education, 9-5s and business. I have an undergrad degree in the US, and an MBA (Master of Business Administration) from a top Business School in the US. I worked many years in Telecoms, and always had a business going, in my 9-5 days. Small businesses in both the US and Nigeria. I have hired over 5 full time workers from right here on Nairaland, in the past, to work at physical business locations in Lagos and Abuja.

Nearly 10 years ago, I resigned my 9-5 in the US, to focus full time on my business. I have multiple things going, mostly online. I have several contracted projects with major companies like Google, Pinterest and a host of others. Typically providing Artificial Intelligence training services to them. Training the AI algorithms, not training humans. These companies have large budgets.

I own two traditional startups, and co-own one in Canada. I'd rather not get into the fine details of these things, but there's a lot you can all do for yourselves, if you are motivated enough. Even if you live in Nigeria.

After resigning my 9-5, I spent a few years just working at home, day in and day out, in my apartment in the US. Then one day, I realized I could do exactly what I'm doing in my apartment anywhere in the world. So why am I stuck in my apartment all day, most days? That's when I packed my stuff and hit the road. I'll rather work in airbnb apartments and houses all over the world, than just one in the US.

With that out of the way, back to the point of this thread, which is travel stuff, not how I can afford to travel long-term.

TRAVELING THE WORLD ISN'T ONE BIG VACATION

Traveling the world the way I do, for a very extended period of years isn't the same as a 2-week vacation. I'm not on vacation. I live my life in a very calm-paced way. I and my fiancee work at home, and whenever we feel like stepping outside, we're in a different country, and it's fun. Rinse and repeat in different countries. We're not permanently jumping around from one tourist attraction to another. No one has that time or energy. We're both very productive with our time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tensazangetsu20:
How would you compare latin american countries to African countries.

This question might be too broad to provide a specific answer, since both regions are very large and diverse.

However, on average, the major Latin American countries are significantly more developed than the major African countries.

Both regions have countries with high poverty levels and insecurity. Africa has militias and terrorists. LatAm has militias and deadly cartel mafiosos.

Only countries like South Africa and maybe 1 or 2 North African countries are comparable to places like Panama, Brazil, Argentina and a few others. Sure, these major LatAm countries also have poor infrastructure and poverty outside the major cities. However, overall, they are significantly more developed, in the developed cities. Panama City, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires are great cities.

I took the attached pics (in order of appearance) in:

Panama City, Panama - From a foot bridge over the road, at Avenida Balboa.
Sao Paulo, Brazil - My balcony view, around Avenida Paulista. The black glass building is CNN.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Took this from atop a mountain. Rio has some of the most incredible views.
Buenos Aires, Argentina - My neighborhood in Buenos Aires. The obelisk is visible down the road.

[MAY 2023 UPDATE: SINCE THIS THREAD HAS SERVED ITS PURPOSE, I HAVE NOW REMOVED ALL THREAD PICS, FOR PERSONAL REASONS]

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by dopedan(m): 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2022
grin

30 Likes

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by aromaticmassage: 2:03pm On Dec 17, 2022
Good afternoon Baba, Ihow can you help me with authentic contact of person or cooperate organization in the USA or Canadathat I can be supplying my farm produce to ( palm oil and vegetables especially ukazi) I've gone for a basic training on this my only challenge at the moment is getting a customer even if it's one. I believe from one I'll get more. All my efforts towards this have not yielded any desired result. Thank you sir
ramalot:
I have gained some insights into different societies and cultures, by traveling far and wide. Not as a weekend tourist, but spending extended time in those places, and living an everyday life. Some of that information/experience might be useful to someone here.

The main point of this AMAA is mostly to answer questions of curiosity. Just random things you wonder about more obscure and less popular places (which I prefer to visit). I'm calling it "Ask Me Almost Anything," because I will not be answering certain questions.

Some questions I can't answer:

1. Questions about visa processes: I simply don't know, as I travel visa-free on a US passport, in almost all cases.

2. Questions about "hustling" as a documented or undocumented resident. Again, I simply don't know, as I have never engaged this. I have a web-based business in the US. So I work remotely, wherever I am.

A few things to note:

1. When I say "lived in a country," I don't mean permanently. I use that for countries I spend at least 1 month. I typically spend anywhere from 1- 3 months per country. In a few cases, I've spent 6, 10 and 12 months in the same country.

2. I travel on a US passport. I keep renewing my Naija passport each time it expires, but I never actually use it. Latest one I got in New York expired some months ago. I only used it once, in visiting Naija.

3. I am less interested in visiting "first world countries," as I find them boring. So most of my travels are to developing countries, but mostly those I still have access to solid accommodation and amenities. I have a business to run, so I can't be without reliable internet.

I find these countries more diverse in culture and lifestyle. First world countries are too structured and predictable.

4. I don't stay in hotels. I rent full Airbnb apartments, as I typically stay in a place for a few months and prefer to feel at home. I only stay in a hotel, if I need to, for 1-2 days while in transit, or something.

5. I've been learning Spanish for a long time, and speak decent enough conversational Spanish, and basic Portuguese.

Some countries I've been (including Nigeria, where I grew up):

Africa:
1. Nigeria
2. Benin Republic
3. Ethiopia (multiple visits)
4. South Africa

Latin America (South, Central, North):
5. Brazil
6. Colombia (multiple visits)
7. Argentina
8. Uruguay
9. Ecuador
10. Chile
11. Costa Rica
12. Peru
13. Panama
14. Dominican Republic
15. Mexico
16. Paraguay

Europe:
17. England (multiple visits)
18. Portugal
19. Netherlands (Amsterdam)

Asia:
20. Thailand (multiple visits)
21. Vietnam
22. Singapore
23. Indonesia
24. Philippines
25. Hong Kong
26. South Korea
27. China
28. Malaysia

North America:
29. USA (where I live)
30. Canada

Bonus (transits only, without bothering to leave the airport)
31. Moscow, Russia - 6 hours
32. Lome, Togo
33. Doha, Qatar

The pic attached shows my passports. My US passport on the left has holes in it, because I used up all the pages and had to get a new one (on the right). So yeah, with all that said, ask me whatever you'd like to know about these places (other than the exceptions I mentioned). cool

Current location: Buenos Aires, Argentina (Yes, there will be epic street parties if Argentina wins tomorrow!)

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Originalsly: 2:04pm On Dec 17, 2022
Hmmmm.... interesting... and I love how you state from upfront the questions you won't be answering ...the ones that usually quickly derail travel threads.

Of the countries you visited for at least two weeks.... which one gave you the most I belong feeling and why?

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Pells1: 2:14pm On Dec 17, 2022
Fk usa

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 2:29pm On Dec 17, 2022
aromaticmassage:
Good afternoon Baba, Ihow can you help me with authentic contact of person or cooperate organization in the USA or Canadathat I can be supplying my farm produce to ( palm oil and vegetables especially ukazi) I've gone for a basic training on this my only challenge at the moment is getting a customer even if it's one. I believe from one I'll get more. All my efforts towards this have not yielded any desired result. Thank you sir

I sincerely wish you all the best with this legitimate business venture, and hope you land a supply contract soon. Unfortunately, it isn't something I can help with.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 2:35pm On Dec 17, 2022
Originalsly:
Hmmmm.... interesting... and I love how you state from upfront the questions you won't be answering ...the ones that usually quickly derail travel threads.

Of the countries you visited for at least two weeks.... which one gave you the most I belong feeling and why?

Yeah, it's easier to minimize those.

For your question, I would say Colombia and Brazil. While both countries have their issues, I love the people and vibe.

The music, the general atmosphere and interactions are warm and enjoyable.

I've spent a total of 10 months in Brazil, in one trip, and 12 months in Colombia, on 4 different trips between 2017 and 2022.

Attached Pics:
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Bogota, Colombia

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Sweetvie: 2:43pm On Dec 17, 2022
Wow
I wanna be like you grin grin
How is Thailand and Colombia like?
I really wanna visit tongue

4 Likes

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Oyetboy(m): 2:58pm On Dec 17, 2022
ramalot:

This question might be too broad to provide a specific answer, since both regions are very large and diverse.

However, on average, the major Latin American countries are significantly more developed than the major African countries.

Both regions have countries with high poverty levels and insecurity. Africa has militias and terrorists. LatAm has militias and deadly cartel mafiosos.

Only countries like South Africa and maybe 1 or 2 North African countries are comparable to places like Panama, Brazil, Argentina and a few others. Sure, these major LatAm countries also have poor infrastructure and poverty outside the major cities. However, overall, they are significantly more developed, in the developed cities. Panama City, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires are great cities.

How old are you ser?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 3:08pm On Dec 17, 2022
Sweetvie:
Wow
I wanna be like you grin grin
How is Thailand and Colombia like?
I really wanna visit tongue

Both countries are nice, but very different.

Bangkok, Thailand can be a bit overwhelming and chaotic, if you have never been to South East Asia. It's a very vibrant city, with all kinds of people and tourists. Bangkok is one of the most visited places in the world, so you'll find all nationalities there. Though a ton of backpacker and hippie-types.

I spent 1 month in Bangkok, and nearly 4 months total in Thailand, on 3 different visits.

There are more relaxed cities, like Chiang Mai. And many cool beach towns. Places like Ao Nang, PhiPhi etc. Lots of interesting temples in the country.

The people are generally all right.

Colombia on the other hand has a great vibe. I prefer Spanish culture in general. The language, music and food are cool.

Cool cities like Medellin, with great weather year-round and some nice neighborhoods, like Poblado. Although, areas like that are a bit of a "tourist trap." You need to venture further out, to experience the true Colombia.

It's like visiting Nigeria for the first time, and only staying in Maitama, Abuja. You won't get a real sense of Nigeria.

Colombia also has some nice beach cities like Cartagena. Nice beaches and nearby islands. With an interesting walled city. Although, Cartagena has way too many prostitutes roaming the streets.

Overall, Colombia remains one of my favorites.

Attached pics (in order of appearance):

Ao Nang, Thailand (on a boat to Railay beach)
Chiang Mai, Thailand - View from my balcony.
Cartagena, Colombia (in Bocagrande) - View from my balcony.
Cartagena, Colombia (from the Old City, looking at Bocagrande in the distance)

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 3:11pm On Dec 17, 2022
Oyetboy:

How old are you ser?

Mid-30s.

And if anyone is wondering, my fiancee travels with me.

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 3:28pm On Dec 17, 2022
I don't use social media (FB, IG etc) in general, for personal use. Though I have business social media accounts.
So I don't post travel pictures anywhere. I prefer to quietly live my life and enjoy it, for me.

That said, I'll try to post a few pictures of some locations I talk about. Just for some visuals on the thread, as an image speaks a thousand words. I'll only post pictures I've taken myself, with my phone.

I'll modify and add some pics to questions I already answered above, and will try to add 1 or 2 to new questions that follow. Only if a pic is relevant to the question.

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by jesmond3945: 4:33pm On Dec 17, 2022
ramalot:
I don't use social media (FB, IG etc) in general, for personal use. Though I have business social media accounts.
So I don't post travel pictures anywhere. I prefer to quietly live my life and enjoy it, for me.

That said, I'll try to post a few pictures of some locations I talk about. Just for some visuals on the thread, as an image speaks a thousand words. I'll only post pictures I've taken myself, with my phone.

I'll modify and add some pics to questions I already answered above, and will try to add 1 or 2 to new questions that follow. Only if a pic is relevant to the question.
i see a lot of gun violence in latin american countries, whats your take?

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Sweetvie: 4:55pm On Dec 17, 2022
ramalot:

Bangkok, Thailand can be a bit overwhelming and chaotic, if you have never been to South East Asia. It's a very vibrant city, with all kinds of people and tourists. Bangkok is one of the most visited places in the world, so you'll find all nationalities there. Though a ton of backpacker and hippie-types.

I spent 1 month in Bangkok, and nearly 4 months total in Thailand, on 3 different visits.

There are more relaxed cities, like Chiang Mai. And many cool beach towns. Places like Ao Nang, PhiPhi etc. Lots of interesting temples in the country.

[/b]Colombia on the other hand has a great vibe. I prefer Spanish culture in general. The language, music and food are cool.[b]

Cool cities like Medellin, with great weather year-round and some nice neighborhoods, like Poblado. Although, areas like that are a bit of a "tourist trap." You need to venture further out, to experience the true Colombia.

It's like visiting Nigeria for the first time, and only staying in Maitama, Abuja. You won't get a real sense of Nigeria.

Colombia also has some nice beach cities like Cartagena. Nice beaches and nearby islands. With an interesting walled city. Although, Cartagena has way too many prostitutes roaming the streets.

Yeah, southeast Asia is a bit chaotic
Have been to India n Philippines.
India is very chaotic
Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and New Delhi
That's where I got to visit but their food is not for me but I love biryani grin
Palak paneer is cool but I don't how to describe how I felt when I tasted it grin
Panipuri is also cool and I tasted jalebi in India also it very sweet.
Philippines is okay, only got to visit Manila grin
The city is lovely. Heard there's some place you can't visit in Philippines?

@bolded
I love Colombia
Like the music, dance, the culture and everything is on another level... I really want to visit grin I love the way Columbia speak their Spanish, it gives me a whole new vibes different from the spain own. I'll love to taste their food, dance and visit the beach there grin

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 4:57pm On Dec 17, 2022
jesmond3945:
i see a lot of gun violence in latin american countries, whats your take?

There is random gun violence, but not nearly as bad as the US. So it's nothing to really worry about.
You're much more likely to get shot in the US than in most of LatAm. Except a few of the really violent LatAm countries, like Honduras, but people rarely visit there.

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Sweetvie: 5:00pm On Dec 17, 2022
ramalot:

Colombia on the other hand has a great vibe. I prefer Spanish culture in general. The language, music and food are cool.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Cartagena, Colombia (in Bocagrande)
I love this
The view is beautiful grin cheesy
More pictures cheesy

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 5:20pm On Dec 17, 2022
Sweetvie:
Yeah, southeast Asia is a bit chaotic
Have been to India n Philippines.
India is very chaotic
Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and New Delhi
That's where I got to visit but their food is not for me but I love biryani grin
Palak paneer is cool but I don't how to describe how I felt when I tasted it grin
Panipuri is also cool and I tasted jalebi in India also it very sweet.
Philippines is okay, only got to visit Manila grin
The city is lovely. Heard there's some place you can't visit in Philippines?

@bolded
I love Colombia
Like the music, dance, the culture and everything is on another level... I really want to visit grin I love the way Columbia speak their Spanish, it gives me a whole new vibes different from the spain own. I'll love to taste their food, dance and visit the beach there grin

Yes, Colombian Spanish is great. Proper enunciation and clear accents. In some places, the Spanish is annoying, like Argentina where I am now, Chile and a few others. In Argentina, there's a strong Italian influence on the Spanish, since majority of Argentinians are of Italian descent.

I haven't been to India, but I like a nice Indian meal once in a while. I was in the Philippines for a month. Mostly in Manila, Cebu and the island of Boracay. What places aren't you allowed to go in the Phils? Never heard of that.

Attached pics:

Manila, Philippines (view from my apartment)
Manila, Philippines (Venice Grand Canal Mall). Beautiful mall modeled after Venice, Italy. I bet you visited.
Cebu, Philippines (nice lake)
Boracay Island, Philippines. View of the entire island, before landing at the airport and taking a boat to it.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Sweetvie: 6:30pm On Dec 17, 2022
ramalot:

Yes, Colombian Spanish is great. Proper enunciation and clear accents. In some places, the Spanish is annoying, like Argentina where I am now, Chile and a few others. In Argentina, there's a strong Italian influence on the Spanish, since majority of Argentinians are of Italian descent.

I haven't been to India, but I like a nice Indian meal once in a while. I was in the Philippines for a month. Mostly in Manila, Cebu and the island of Boracay. [/b]What places aren't you allowed to go in the Phils? Never heard of that[b].

Attached pics:

Manila, Philippines (view from my apartment)
[/b]Manila, Philippines (Venice Grand Canal Mall). Beautiful mall modeled after Venice, Italy. I bet you visited.[b]
Cebu, Philippines (nice lake)
Boracay Island, Philippines. View of the entire island, before landing at the airport and taking a boat to it.
Yeah, Columbia Spanish is lovely with the accent grin
I never really been to Argentina but I can imagine that grin

I only visit Philippines once in a while.
I only stay for a week most times. I love island of Boracay, the view is amazing tongue
Cebu" the queen city of the south" tongue grin I only visited once and I do feel like I did not explore the city cry
@bolded
I don't really know... That was when I first visited i was told some place are not safe... Am not sure if it's in Manila maybe those village
I heard they're village gangster or cultist I really don't know again lipsrsealed nxt visit am really gonna check all the corner grin

@bolded
Trust me, i won't miss that
I really love it
One of the best place in Taguig city, I love it... The view was giving grin the gondola ride was really fun i was feeling like a queen grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Originalsly: 8:35pm On Dec 17, 2022
I guess you ate at small food joints to get authentic foods..... what's your top three mouth watering dishes so far and which country/countries?

Sight seeing .... three most awesome sights and what about each that ehmmm .... dropped your jaw and left you with your mouth wide open?

1 Like

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 8:55pm On Dec 17, 2022
Sweetvie:
Yeah, Columbia Spanish is lovely with the accent grin
I never really been to Argentina but I can imagine that grin

I only visit Philippines once in a while.
I only stay for a week most times. I love island of Boracay, the view is amazing tongue
Cebu" the queen city of the south" tongue grin I only visited once and I do feel like I did not explore the city cry
@bolded
I don't really know... That was when I first visited i was told some place are not safe... Am not sure if it's in Manila maybe those village
I heard they're village gangster or cultist I really don't know again lipsrsealed nxt visit am really gonna check all the corner grin

@bolded
Trust me, i won't miss that
I really love it
One of the best place in Taguig city, I love it... The view was giving grin the gondola ride was really fun i was feeling like a queen grin

Nice!

Yeah, Philippines definitely has very rough places, with the same level of poverty and slums you'll find in the worst Nigerian slums.

5 Likes

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by Sweetvie: 9:24pm On Dec 17, 2022
ramalot:

Nice!

Yeah, Philippines definitely has very rough places, with the same level of poverty and slums you'll find in the worst Nigerian slums.
Yeah, they do grin
Tell me abt panama
How's life there?

1 Like

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by iLoveYouToo(m): 10:07pm On Dec 17, 2022
dopedan:
Which kind work do u do that you are touring the world

He’s probably a ‘developer’
Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 10:29pm On Dec 17, 2022
Originalsly:
I guess you ate at small food joints to get authentic foods..... what's your top three mouth watering dishes so far and which country/countries?

Just so there are attached pics for each, I'll make the answer 2 of each, instead of 3.
I'm not exactly a "foodie," as I don't care much about food and rarely take pics of food. Some worthy mentions are:

1. A pot of Moqueca (shrimp and seafood stew), fried fish and french fries, on the strip, at Copacabana beach. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
If anyone is wondering if that's garri they're looking at in the pic. Yes, you're looking at garri cheesy

We spent 10 months in Brazil, and it turns out garri is a popular side dish at "high-end" restaurants. It's literally just dry garri, mixed with salt and sometimes a mild sauce similar to soy sauce.

2. Ox tail soup at a South Korean restaurant (left). The red one is beef. With a nice bottle of Soju to wash it down.
I spent several months in South Korea, but this particular pic was taken in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

It's as authentic as what we used to have in Korea though. The other little plates are random things like fried onions, pickles, garlic bread etc. In Korean restaurants, you're served those as an appetizer, before you order your main meal.

Originalsly:
Sight seeing .... three most awesome sights and what about each that ehmmm .... dropped your jaw and left you with your mouth wide open?

3. Iguazu Falls in Iguazu, Argentina: This is one of the 7 natural "wonders of the world"

The fall shown is called "Garganta del Diablo." This means "Devil's Throat" in Spanish, as it's very loud and thunderous. It's the biggest of the water falls at Iguazu. There are several really cool falls, and we took a boat under the falls. It was some adrenaline kinda activity, and people were screaming at the top of their lungs, with heavy water splashing on their heads.

4. Pyramid of the Sun in Teotihuacan, Mexico: It has been there since 200 AD. It's the biggest pyramid at Teotihuacan and really impressive, but there are others at the location. Pyramid of the Moon is the next biggest, and several smaller ones. We climbed to the top of most of them. It was great.

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by MeeztaBugaman: 10:51pm On Dec 17, 2022
ramalot:

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Cartagena, Colombia (in Bocagrande)

How come you didn't even mention Pattaya in Thailand? If you visit Thailand without visiting that city then the trip isn't complete.
Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 10:55pm On Dec 17, 2022
Sweetvie:
Yeah, they do grin
Tell me abt panama
How's life there?

Panama City is nice. We weren't there for too long, but the main city around Balboa is very clean and modern. There's an Old city too.
The setting is very similar to Cartagena in that the historic Old City and modern part are right next to each other.

Panama is a bit notorious for money laundering, which is why you hear stuff like "Panama papers" in the news. Lots of shell companies inside shell companies. So the financial institutions are a big part of the economy. The city is really expensive though. Lots of good sea food. Saw a huge local seafood market/restaurant close to the Old city.

Pics attached are all Panama City. First 2 are in the Old City. Other 2 are in the new part.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 11:00pm On Dec 17, 2022
MeeztaBugaman:

How come you didn't even mention Pattaya in Thailand? If you visit Thailand without visiting that city then the trip isn't complete.

Haha, I hear you, man. I visited Pattaya with 4 of my Danish friends, years ago, when I was a single man.
We spent a few crazy nights visiting the clubs on Walking Street. cheesy

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by MeeztaBugaman: 11:10pm On Dec 17, 2022
ramalot:

Haha, I hear you, man. I visited Pattaya with 4 of my Danish friends, years ago, when I was a single man.
We spent a few crazy nights visiting the clubs on Walking Street. cheesy

The groove there is crazy.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by pansophist(m): 11:30pm On Dec 17, 2022
Which Asian countries is the most welcoming and accepting of Africans/Blacks?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) by ramalot(m): 12:08am On Dec 18, 2022
pansophist:
Which Asian countries is the most welcoming and accepting of Africans/Blacks?

My closest guess at your question might be Bali, Indonesia. Jakarta might be different.

Personally, I don't travel or interact with people based on skin color. So I don't dwell much on these things. When people are too focused on it, they end up creating a barrier for themselves, which mentally limits their range of places to visit. All based on what someone else said or experienced, regarding race.

That said, there is certainly a bit of cautious skepticism toward blacks in Asia, so it depends on the interaction and your nationality. Honestly, this happens in most parts of the world, so it's not unique to Asia. For instance, in many places, some people who might've been a bit wary, instantly reset their attitude as soon as they hear me speak. Simply because I have an American accent, which isn't fake.

Suddenly they treat me different, because in their little heads, they go "oh, he's American." If I had an African accent, the interactions might have gone different. This is a multi-layered issue related more to classism than racism, but contains both. Classism in the sense they relax and show respect to a black person, if they realize you're American, British or from any Western country.

This behavior is based on the assumption that as an American, you're probably not poor. Unfortunately, on the other hand, they assume all black Africans are poor illegal immigrants in Asia, into some illegal "hustle." So that's where a bit of racism plays into classism.

This happens more often in Asian countries with a lot of African (especially Nigerian) illegal immigrants causing problems. So places like Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in particular. I have a story about nearly being arrested in Kuala Lumpur, for no other reason than being black. Which is what the officer in charge told me. If I wasn't strong-headed, I and my friend (who wasn't even black) would've been arrested as a bundle deal, just because we were together cheesy

The OC said they were arresting all black people they saw that night, because Nigerians caused a big situation in that area the night before. He said they always cause problems, so they're tired and rounding them up, since most are there illegally. I might tell the full story another day.

Anyway, for the most part, I haven't had issues with people in Asia. I have several local friends in each country I've been, and had a lot of fun partying with the locals and all.

52 Likes 10 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Passengers, Azman Air Officials Exchange Blows Over Cancelled Flight / Lagos Task Force Auctions Impounded Car For ₦400,000 As Owner Cries / Lost Nigerian Passport: How To Replace, Renew Or Apply For New One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.