Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,327 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria - Phones (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria (100999 Views)

My Spacex Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / Fisayo Fosudo Test-Runs SpaceX's Starlink (Video) / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (55) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 6:24pm On Feb 21
Leun:

Results vary as they connect to various networks when online.

Impressive. Currently paying 50k for 25Mbps and 20k for 20Mbps (backup)
So paying 49k for 50 - 125Mbps (roam) is a no-brainer.
Patiently waiting for tracking number

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Fuadeiza(m): 6:49pm On Feb 21
QuoteJust1nce:

It means that a location is at capacity (filled up) and no more space for new users. So you gotta pay a deposit 32k and a spot is reserved for you. When somebody leaves that location; or more satellites are deployed; they will start adding people from the waiting list (queue). Unfortunately, you're not given a number; so you never know when it's gonna be your turn. It could be some months or years; nobody knows.

Yeah I will switch plan without buying a new dish. One the homepage, you can either choose Roam or Residential

Thanks. After buying the via the roam option, where/how do pay the 32k to join the residential plan waitlist ?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Leun: 6:55pm On Feb 21
BadMaster:

For better speed accuracy, use Speedtest.net app or website. You may also use fast.com.

I hope you have splitted the Wifi channels, that is 5Ghz and 2.4Gh.

i have split my connections, my area currently has been cloudy since we launched today as its looking like it going to rain and my test results keep varying like i said earlier.

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by lionkingonfire: 7:05pm On Feb 21
Leun:

@lionkingonfire see my roam speed..
Correct this is good. That means residential is even better. Love this

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 7:39pm On Feb 21
lionkingonfire:

Correct this is good. That means residential is even better. Love this
From my personal experience, in Nigeria, residential or Standard plan as it's now called, enjoy the same or similar speed as Roam or Mobile-regional as it's now called. Standard plan subscribers do not enjoy priority over Mobile-regional subscribers in Nigeria.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 8:26pm On Feb 21
Fuadeiza:

Thanks. After buying the via the roam option, where/how do pay the 32k to join the residential plan waitlist ?

Nah mate!
You have two options once you land on the website.
1. Residential pay the full price and get your kit. But for Lagos, Abuja and Kano, you have to wait for a while after paying 32k deposit due to capacity issues.
2. Roam: pay the full price and get your kit. But the speeds are reduced compared to residential but you have the advantage of moving it around the whole country and even pausing your subscription ( you cant do that on residential)
Nonetheless; the speed on roam is faar better and consistent that what Nigerian ISPs would give you. Nigerian ISPs do give and take.
You get it now. Just go to the website and follow the prompts. Make sure to read cos its plainly stated there before you add your card.
Goodluck
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 8:32pm On Feb 21
Leun:

i have split my connections, my area currently has been cloudy since we launched today as its looking like it going to rain and my test results keep varying like i said earlier.

This is lovely. MTN used to give me 500+Mbps on good day and about 130Mbps on bad days.
But they were not unlimited; ripoff to me. Airtel brough the unlimited but maxed at 60Mbps or so
Local fibre is charging 50k for 25Mbps; when starlink roam is giving you 100Mbps averagely, for 49k and even 200+ for cheaper (residential)
Patiently waiting for delivery. Don't know what to even do with these relics I have, airtel, mtn, swift, etc

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Fuadeiza(m): 9:12pm On Feb 21
QuoteJust1nce:

Nah mate!
You have two options once you land on the website.
1. Residential pay the full price and get your kit. But for Lagos, Abuja and Kano, you have to wait for a while after paying 32k deposit due to capacity issues.
2. Roam: pay the full price and get your kit. But the speeds are reduced compared to residential but you have the advantage of moving it around the whole country and even pausing your subscription ( you cant do that on residential)
Nonetheless; the speed on roam is faar better and consistent that what Nigerian ISPs would give you. Nigerian ISPs do give and take.
You get it now. Just go to the website and follow the prompts. Make sure to read cos its plainly stated there before you add your card.
Goodluck

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I found an article that further explains it.
https://starlinkinsider.com/starlink-rv-vs-residential/
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Jummymine(f): 9:56pm On Feb 21
Hello,I have been using gtb card for the payment of starlink but the card was just declined this evening. Please,is there any other alternative i can use for the payment?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by PotatoSalad(m): 9:48am On Feb 22
Feb

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 11:05am On Feb 22
Fuadeiza:

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I found an article that further explains it.
https://starlinkinsider.com/starlink-rv-vs-residential/

Looks like a good article. Asides the pricing and speed; other points are kinda valid.
Tracking number received; Seems to be coming in from California

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by damseremie(m): 12:19pm On Feb 22
Jummymine:
Hello,I have been using gtb card for the payment of starlink but the card was just declined this evening. Please,is there any other alternative i can use for the payment?

I thought I was the only one.
Does anyone have any other option?
I even contacted GTB Customer Care on Twitter, they keep apologizing and asking me to try again... It still doesn't work
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 2:26pm On Feb 22
BadMaster:
So, I have been using Starlink since February last year, and it was excellent. I use to get speeds up to 300Mbps+. After moving to a new location, I observed that my speed really tanked. In fact, I have not seen 200Mbps. Initially, I thought my dishy or cable was faulty, so I asked Starlink support to carry out checks on my kits for confirmation. Starlink support reverted back to me after thorough checks(according to them), informing me that my dishy and cable are in excellent conditions, however, I am experiencing extremely high level interferance. They then asked me to capture my installation and my immediate surrounding. I did as advised.

The thing is, I live directly under a large mast/base station. According to Starlink, the base station is the culprit, and there's little to nothing I can do to improve Starlink service. Though I could try to move the dishy around my roof, but given the proximity, it would probably not change anything.

This is for your information only. In case anyone is experiencing similar challenges.
Update:
Something I forgot to add previously. Aside informing me that my Starlink dishy was experiencing high interference, they also informed me that checks show that there's something wrong with my router configuration (I don't know what this means), indicating that my router and ethernet adapter are needing replacement. So they sent a replacement router and ethernet adapter. However, according to Starlink support, it would not resolve the interference I am experiencing.

Today, I took delivery of the replacement router and ethernet adapter.

Starlink's service delivery can't be compared with our service providers here in Nigeria. If there's an issue with your kit, they will be honest about it, and if need be, replacements would sent, for free.

If you are experiencing challenges and you have done all else to resolve it, feel free to ask them to carry out checks on your kits.

3 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 2:31pm On Feb 22
Jummymine:
damseremie:

I even contacted GGTB Customer Care on Twitter, they keep apologizing and asking me to try again... It still doesn't work
I have been using GT bank Naira MasterCard and it has always worked for me. You may also try Providus Cards, they also work for Starlink payments.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by drered(m): 3:30pm On Feb 22
damseremie:

I even contacted GGTB Customer Care on Twitter, they keep apologizing and asking me to try again... It still doesn't work

damseremie:

Had the same issue. Switched to my access bank card and it worked fine.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by CavendishPlex: 5:14pm On Feb 22
That's what customer service ought to be like.

BadMaster:

Update:
Something I forgot to add previously. Aside informing me that my Starlink dishy was experiencing high interference, they also informed me that checks show that there's something wrong with my router configuration (I don't know what this means), indicating that my router and ethernet adapter are needing replacement. So they sent a replacement router and ethernet adapter. However, according to Starlink support, it would not resolve the interference I am experiencing.

Starlink's service delivery can't be compared with our service providers here in Nigeria. If there's an issue with your kit, they will be honest about it, and if need be, replacements would sent, for free.

If you are experiencing challenges and you have done all else to resolve it, feel free to ask them to carry out checks on your kits.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibawon(m): 11:36pm On Feb 22
I suppose some people are already receiving their packages

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibawon(m): 12:48am On Feb 23
BadMaster:

Update:

Boss I humbly, I repeat! I humbly ask for the replacement Ethernet dongle. If I can get it I go dance.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibawon(m): 12:49am On Feb 23
CavendishPlex:
That's what customer service ought to be like.

No long questions. They even add complimentary 1 month sub
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 4:19am On Feb 23
ibawon:

Boss I humbly, I repeat! I humbly ask for the replacement Ethernet dongle. If I can get it I go dance.
Boss, I have promised someone else way before I received the replacement. I am sorry.

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibawon(m): 8:27am On Feb 23
BadMaster:

Boss, I have promised someone else way before I received the replacement. I am sorry.
I will not cry 😭. I'm a Man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 8:21pm On Feb 23
Jummymine:
damseremie:

I even contacted GTB Customer Care on Twitter, they keep apologizing and asking me to try again... It still doesn't work
I just confirmed that GT bank Naira MasterCard doesn't work for Starlink payment anymore, but I was able to pay with Providus Naira MasterCard.

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by pcachuks(f): 9:03am On Feb 24
I have a question: I currently use Starlink in Awka and am planning to move to Lagos. Will my Starlink service still work if I take it with me to Lagos?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by lukfame(m): 11:40am On Feb 24
Good morning my people.

I want to get Starlink ethernet adapter. Can anyone suggest 3rd party router that I can use please?

Thanks
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by georgee(m): 11:59am On Feb 24
lukfame:
Good morning my people.

I want to get Starlink ethernet adapter. Can anyone suggest 3rd party router that I can use please?

Thanks
I currently use TP-Link

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 12:11pm On Feb 24
pcachuks:
I have a question: I currently use Starlink in Awka and am planning to move to Lagos. Will my Starlink service still work if I take it with me to Lagos?
Most of Lagos, if not all, is at full capacity at the moment, so you may have to switch to regional-mobile plan when you get there.

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by lukfame(m): 12:47pm On Feb 24
georgee:

I currently use TP-Link

Thank you. Which version is this?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by georgee(m): 1:56pm On Feb 24
lukfame:

Thank you. Which version is this?
It's an older version kinda.. But u can check Jumia for latest versions..

This old version dey serve me like slave👍
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by db15: 5:01pm On Feb 24
Good day all,

Please I made an order with starlink but the delivery address is wrong.

Any advice on how to change it.

Dhl said I have to contact the sender and starlink website says once posted, I should contact courier

Please help
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by lukfame(m): 5:36pm On Feb 24
georgee:

Thank you. I ordered for Ax23.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibawon(m): 6:48pm On Feb 24
georgee:

Georgee, Do you mean you pug it to the Starlink router directly without the Ethernet adaptor?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibawon(m): 6:51pm On Feb 24
Nigerians reaping the fruits of Her Presidents hasty decisions

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (55) (Reply)

Itel Mobile Unveils P51 – A Powerful Phone That Can Last 3 Days From 1 Charge / Mark Zuckerberg Shares Photos Of The Cars His Wife And Himself Use / How Do I Register The You And Me Number On Etisalat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.