Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,883 members, 7,841,310 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria - Phones (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria (104112 Views)

My Spacex Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / Fisayo Fosudo Test-Runs SpaceX's Starlink (Video) / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 7:28pm On May 10
panalyst:
Please I just ordered starlinks in abuja and I’m confused on the speed. What speed are you all currently getting. I’ve been skeptical as I use MTN 5G but mtn issues get as dem be. I normally stream live tv etc.

So please what speed are you getting?

Speed depends on many factors bro, your abuja is even filled that is another issue.

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Konquest: 7:55pm On May 10
myspace:
Unreliable internet has always been an issue for me in Lagos. The best Internet Service Providers use Fibre Optics but have very limited coverage areas. So when I heard Starlink would be rolling out their Low Orbit internet service in Africa, It Immediately piqued my Interest.

I made a preorder for the service in May of 2021 with a refundable deposit of $99. I did this due to the projected rollout of the service by the end of 2021. I did not get any update from Starlink until early december of 2022. I was told to pay up a balance of $501 so my exquipment would be shipped.

8 days after making full payment, my Starlink Equipment was delivered to me by DHL. It is a plug and play device that is easy to install by following very simple steps on the manual. I mounted the dish on my compound, at a postion with good sky visibility and the device connected to an available Satellite within a few minutes.

My Internet experience is now the best I have ever had it, here in Nigeria.

Total cost of Equipment $600
Monthly Subscription for Unlimited Internet $43

God Bless Elon Musk
God Bless SpaceX/Starlink
God Bless Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orUl06DfAjw
Insightful.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Trexate: 9:18pm On May 10
ibietela2:

You don't have Kuda?

No. I'll try it then. Thanks
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 9:49pm On May 10
My service address is not working
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Koko254: 6:44am On May 11
QuoteJust1nce:

If you have a "solar" system, then you should have power at all times.
I presume you don't have solar panels, yea?

I do have up to 12 solar panels
I want to know, can I buy ecoflow river 2 as a backup battery just incase I put off my solar
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Koko254: 6:50am On May 11
QuoteJust1nce:

If you have a "solar" system, then you should have power at all times.
I presume you don't have solar panels, yea?

See guys the thing is that, I gave internet access to my neighbors, and sometime I may not be at home to on my solar to power the starlink for them to gain internet access, so I was thinking of getting ecoflow river 2 power station, just incase I'm leaving the house I can plug in the starlink there so my neighbors will be able to access the internet even while I'm not in the house, I just want to know if the ecoflow river 2 can power the starlink without any complications, someone told me the ecoflow can damage the starlink system is this true? and that I should go for ups and attach 100ah battery to it, but I don't like the idea of using that ups to that 100ah battery, will it not cause it to over heat.

Please advise, can the ecoflow work perfectly or I should just do the ups stuff
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 7:09am On May 11
Koko254:

See guys the thing is that, I gave internet access to my neighbors, and sometime I may not be at home to on my solar to power the starlink for them to gain internet access, so I was thinking of getting ecoflow river 2 power station, just incase I'm leaving the house I can plug in the starlink there so my neighbors will be able to access the internet even while I'm not in the house, I just want to know if the ecoflow river 2 can power the starlink without any complications, someone told me the ecoflow can damage the starlink system is this true? and that I should go for ups and attach 100ah battery to it, but I don't like the idea of using that ups to that 100ah battery, will it not cause it to over heat.

Power station is still the best option except you guys do a separate solar for starlink
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 7:10am On May 11
ibietela2:
My service address is not working

They are not allowing me to add my starlink
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by 606thearena: 9:41am On May 11
Good morning guys
Pls I want to know if with this power station I ca get up to 6 hours standby of power with this product .
Starlink consume 100 watts there about

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by DAramis: 9:51am On May 11
606thearena:
Good morning guys
Pls I want to know if with this power station I ca get up to 6 hours standby of power with this product .
which website is this?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 10:03am On May 11
Koko254:

I don't understand why you will want to switch off your solar system when you go out. Your controllers need to be on to continue charging your batteries when you go out. Also, don't you have appliances (like refrigerators) that need to stay on even in your absence? Solar-inverter systems are designed to stay on for days, weeks and even months uninterrupted.

If you are worried about energy conservation when you go out, then put off ALL the appliances and energy points in your house and leave only the socket that powers the Starlink on.

5 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 10:22am On May 11
606thearena:
Good morning guys
chat GPT says 1 and half hours.

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by georgee(m): 10:28am On May 11
odimbannamdi:

I don't understand why you will want to switch off your solar system when you go out. Your controllers need to be on to continue charging your batteries when you go out. Also, don't you have appliances (like refrigerators) that need to stay on even in your absence? Solar-inverter systems are designed to stay on for days, weeks and even months uninterrupted.

If you are worried about energy conservation when you go out, then put off ALL the appliances and energy points in your house and leave only the socket that powers the Starlink on.
I saw his post too and was shocked

Why would u wanna switch off ur solar inverter... Been thinking since i read his post
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by 606thearena: 11:32am On May 11
Obviouslyblunt:
chat GPT says 1 and half hours.
thanks bro it’s not worth it at all . Na just to run solar sure pass
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Koko254: 12:33pm On May 11
ibietela2:

Power station is still the best option except you guys do a separate solar for starlink

Thanks, this the power station I tend to buy,

For those saying why would I turn off my solar when I'm not at home, I don't understand should I leave my solar on if I'm out, spending a day or two outside, I leave alone, not married, nothing in my refrigerator

I will not be comfortable where I'm, when I'm going to spend the weekend outside, I turn off everything in my house. Money to buy the power station is not an issue, I just want to be sure if it can power it and not damage the hardware, and if the ecoflow power station can power it for like a day or two

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 12:48pm On May 11
Koko254:

For those saying why would I turn off my solar when I'm not at home, I don't understand should I leave my solar on if I'm out, spending a day or two outside, I leave alone, not married, nothing in my refrigerator

I will not be comfortable where I'm, when I'm going to spend the weekend outside, I turn off everything in my house. Money to buy the power station is not an issue, I just want to be sure if it can power it and not damage the hardware, and if the ecoflow power station can power it for like a day or two

LOL, you're probably scared your house don't catch on fire while you're not around. I would entertain that fear too if it was installed by a quack without essential protective devices. Many system in this same Nairaland has ran for many years unattended to and would only go off when it hit the low voltage disconnect which rarely happens. Asides that, it stays on forever even if no single soul was around for months. In fact, like that guy said, that is how it was designed to be. For example, I have security cameras and a home network; I don't see a situation where I would like to power it off for just a second.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by udatso: 1:23pm On May 11
Rough installation with obstructions. Just put the antenna in my compound on the floor and the speed is good to stream HD and 4k without issues. Once I take it to the roof, I should get more than this.
I don't know how people are having issues with payment. Access Bank Visa Card works fine

3 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Ayomipoe(m): 1:38pm On May 11
No, it would not power your Starlink for more than 14 hours at most.

My reasoning, during startup, the Starlink consumes about 70-110w from my observations.

When it has acquired signal and it is working, provided you have turned heating off, because it comes on when it rains, you should be consuming between 35-60w.

The battery you are planing to buy is not up to 800wh, and your estimated load is about 60w. 800/60 gives you an ETA of how long theoretically it would last.

If you have solid electricity and you are planning to leave the power station connected to the grid (which in your situation you are against) you could stretch it out to an all day backup system.

No, it won't damage the system, the router uses as low as 100v input

Koko254:

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 2:55pm On May 11
606thearena:
Good morning guys

No you can't. Theoretically, you will get exactly 1hr 48mins (148wh/100w). Practically, it will be lesser.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 2:59pm On May 11
Koko254:

Lol...I saw where you said you spent almost 3m to build your current solar system. If the watts rating of Starlink is indeed 100w, you will spend up to 50% (or more) of that amount to get a power station (or another inverter system) that will power it for a day or 2 that you will not be around
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Koko254: 9:41pm On May 11
odimbannamdi:

Lol...I saw where you said you spent almost 3m to build your current solar system. If the watts rating of Starlink is indeed 100w, you will spend up to 50% (or more) of that amount to get a power station (or another inverter system) that will power it for a day or 2 that you will not be around

OK thanks, I will look into getting Ecoflow Delta 2, instead of the river

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 9:41pm On May 11
Koko254:

768wh? It should work.
If a panel or it’s plugged to a socket that should help it too
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by PotatoSalad(m): 9:45pm On May 11
Koko254:

As someone with solar setup here, I've been away from home severally, sometimes for about a month and I always leave everything on. And since I have a smart home, I'm able to monitor generation and consumption in the house and even schedule ACs to chill rooms periodically.
No fear, as long as you have good solar setup and not some connections that looks like something out of a post apocalyptic movie, you should be fine.

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Koko254: 9:50pm On May 11
Ayomipoe:
No, it would not power your Starlink for more than 14 hours at most.

My reasoning, during startup, the Starlink consumes about 70-110w from my observations.

When it has acquired signal and it is working, provided you have turned heating off, because it comes on when it rains, you should be consuming between 35-60w.

The battery you are planing to buy is not up to 800wh, and your estimated load is about 60w. 800/60 gives you an ETA of how long theoretically it would last.

If you have solid electricity and you are planning to leave the power station connected to the grid (which in your situation you are against) you could stretch it out to an all day backup system.

No, it won't damage the system, the router uses as low as 100v input

Thanks I will go for the delta 2 ecoflow it's about 700k, use it as ups for the starlink, maybe when I'm going out for like an hour or 2, the ecoflow will power it till I get back. Most people will leave their solar on but this is just me I dont like the idea if leaving my solar on when I'm not in the house.

All my CCtv use a separate solar, they came will small panels

Even my electricity fence have a separate solar, it's always on standby

And I use a solar water pumping machine, I got it for about 550k and two separate panels, so it works on its own it doesn't depend on the main house solar system

When there is no water it's automatically pump the water and stop when the water reaches the sensor level
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by PotatoSalad(m): 9:50pm On May 11
Koko254:

You wan waste money sha
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 4:53am On May 12
I have a starlink i can't use and with the non existing support with my account I still have to wait another 48hrs.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 5:53am On May 12
PotatoSalad:

You wan waste money sha
him get the money. Leave am make him flex am
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by aieromon(m): 6:37am On May 12
606thearena:
Good morning guys

Simple math
Number of hours = Capacity of battery in wH / Power rating of appliance

148 divided by 100 gives 1.48 hours.

You need a portable power station with a battery capacity of 600wh or more to get 6 hours + backup.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 7:28am On May 12
Koko254:

Lol...sorry to still burst your bubbles, but I doubt this system will serve you for up to 24hours before it needs to be recharged (using the same solar you switched off... grin), not to mention up to 48hours that you be out for.

If the only reason for getting a "power station" is to power your Starlink for your neighbours on occasional days you will out, I doubt you really need a power station. What you need is an "alternative" arrangement"

This is what I mean: Prorate the price of each day of internet access you grant your neighbours based on the monthly price (12,000/30 = 400naira). Then deduct this daily amount for the days you will not be around to grant them the internet access. If it will be for 8days in a month, they will deduct 3,200 from the monthly charge you bill them. They should use that amount to get alternative internet access when you are away.

You are better off losing 3,200/month than expending almost 800k to get a "power station" I am sure won't work as optimally as you desire.

Just giving a 2cents advise that I will also give myself if I were to be in your shoes.

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 8:20am On May 12
I was asking if those who bought from Jumia had challenges, now I am stuck with a device I can’t activate
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 8:42am On May 12
I don enter once chance I guess.
It’s well.

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by tivta(m): 9:03am On May 12
ibietela2:
I don enter once chance I guess.
It’s well.

Thanks for the warning

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (Reply)

Bypass Samsung Sim Lock Code / Mtn Free 3gb / How To Use Whatsapp On An Android Tablet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.