Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,193 members, 7,953,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:39 PM

Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya (8562 Views)

Obasanjo Slams FG, Govs, Says Governance Is Weak / Obasanjo Slams Jonathan, Defends Buhari. / Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:09pm On Sep 01, 2011
Abagworo:

Dude I wonder how informed you were about Libya before the crisis.Libya was far more developed and economically stable than Nigeria.It was a haven for Africans seeking greener pastures.Libya had stable electricity,good road network and water.Libya even rejected EU members from coming there to transact business.It was infact lending money to some African countries in place of IMF with less strict conditions.

Don't forget to add that Libya had no Foreign DEBT! absolutely zero foreign debts unlike most BLACK African nations save for the Gaddafi Kolo-mentality, Libya is a shining example to other nations in Africa in Human Development Index, Libya is 55 in Developing Nations Category (Ahead of the likes of Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Jordan and Algeria) Nigeria is listed in the LOW development (not even Medium) category behind Togo, Cameroon, Ghana and Benin Republic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by dforestfox: 1:10pm On Sep 01, 2011
Abagworo:

Dude I wonder how informed you were about Libya before the crisis.Libya was far more developed and economically stable than Nigeria.It was a haven for Africans seeking greener pastures.Libya had stable electricity,good road network and water.Libya even rejected EU members from coming there to transact business.It was infact lending money to some African countries in place of IMF with less strict conditions.

Abeg help me tell the guy (ferdiii) oo, as hin talk say hin be traveller so,he suppose dey see the Air Afriqiyah planes which is owned by the Libya government for Nigeria airport sef!
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Gbenge77(m): 1:12pm On Sep 01, 2011
I dey laff o.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Akanbiedu(m): 1:13pm On Sep 01, 2011
One of the reasons you can't fully hate OBJ, he sure knows what nationhood is about.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Abagworo(m): 1:14pm On Sep 01, 2011
From 2010 news

http://mathaba.net/news/pda.shtml?x=622875

German gov`t urges Libya to lift ban on European visitors
Posted: 2010/02/19

Germany on Friday called on Libya to lift restrictions on the entry of European citizens from the 25-nation Schengen zone.

Berlin, Feb 19, IRNA -- Talking at a regular weekly news conference in Berlin, German foreign ministry Spokesman Andreas Peschke said the Libyan action was "most regrettable." He urged Libya to reverse its decision on visa restrictions for European visitors.

Peschke pointed that while his country had been in contact with Tripoli on the issue, he stressed the main part of the negotiations were being conducted by the European Union.

Mediating in the visa crisis, the Spanish European Union presidency on Thursday has so far failed to bring Libya and Switzerland to settle their visa row which has spilled over to other parts of Europe.

The European Commission has described Libya's decision to deny entry to citizens from Europe's Schengen area as "unilateral and disproportionate."
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 01, 2011
Obasanjo should be slammed in jail angry
Shamless thief angry
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 01, 2011
@dforestfox

Many poorer countries in Africa have their own airlines. Corruption we all know is the root cause of many problems in Nigeria.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:18pm On Sep 01, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

One of the reasons you can't fully hate OBJ, he sure knows what nationhood is about.

shakes head
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Abagworo(m): 1:19pm On Sep 01, 2011
There was also the case of where ome whites and Arabs deliberately infected Libyans with HIV.So the fight did not just start and it is all about racism and economy.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by IIKOTECH(m): 2:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
My own two sense.
Remember Rwanda, Sudan, Somali (many people died and are still dying)
where was America. Now Syria.
Let them tell us the real reason they went to Libya.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2011
IIKOTECH:

My own two sense.
Remember Rwanda, Sudan, Somali (many people died and are still dying)
where was America. Now Syria.
Let them tell us the real reason they went to Libya. 

It is in their own Oil democratic interest grin but where was the AU in all these crisis.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 01, 2011
@ IIKOTECH

Did the people of those countries you listed actually ask for NATO's help? I think the Libyan and Syrian issues are bit different from those countries you listed - the leaders are tyrants as well as been there for a very long time. However, I think the intervention of NATO in Libya is right!
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 01, 2011
What is d problem of some Nigerians. The libiyan people are happy for the intervention of NATO, Gadaffi as ruled for over 40yrs some of us where not even born by then.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by juman(m): 3:38pm On Sep 01, 2011
But Libyan people begged for NATO intervention.

Even many people were concerned that NATO intervention (no fly zone) was necessary to prevent mass killing in Benghazi.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by IIKOTECH(m): 3:57pm On Sep 01, 2011
@juman
What was the mandate of NATO?
Did they side step that mandate?
Were they sent there for bombing or
protection of the people.
Rwandans called for world intervention that never happened
because the interest of the western world were not threatened.
Let face the truth, according to the US, they went there to protect
The democratic values that they stand for.

Americans have not been provided with sufficient evidence of mass atrocities committed by the Gaddafi regime or indications that a Gaddafi victory would destabilize the region to justify a military intervention on humanitarian grounds alone. Nor has the administration made a case that the alternative to Gaddafi justifies the risk of removing him. Members of both political parties are prone to support humanitarian intervention to stop war crimes and given Gaddafi’s past, it seems a strong case could be made that an alternative to him would be in the U.S. interest. It is somewhat shocking that the U.S. is preparing to take military action against Libya and neither of those arguments have been convincingly made.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2011/03/18/why-are-we-going-to-war-with-libya/#ixzz1WiGVHBKd
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2011
^^^^
What actually transpire of Rwanda? Tell me more about the ethnic cleansing!
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by velo10: 4:18pm On Sep 01, 2011
juman:

But Libyan people begged for NATO intervention.

Even many people were concerned that NATO intervention (no fly zone) was necessary to prevent mass killing in Benghazi.

What happened in Benghazi was a protest where people went into army barracks to steal weapons as an insurrection against the government. The government like any other in the world would react and people unfortunately will die. The incident was overhyped and Gadaffi who has not had any mass killings on his record was suddenly made a monster. A prerequisite for the invasion. Those who asked for intervention were his opposition. Why not let nations handle and manage their conflicts than external violent interventions. So far more than 50,000 people have died. Thanks to the lenghtened NATO war
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by 2mch(m): 4:22pm On Sep 01, 2011
If i was a looter and i see other looters and aspiring life presidents being destroyed like Ghadaffi et al, i will be slamming everyone from Jona to Nato. This can cause big problems for thieves and make Nigerians become suddenly wise. grin cheesy. It cannot be a comfortable time for a looter, because when their time comes, they will not get support from any international organization or even amnesty. This baba is looking out for self interest and self preservation. Do not be fooled.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by bisiaet: 4:45pm On Sep 01, 2011
Anyway whatever be the case it is so sad it went this way though Gaddafi has really overstayed in power he should have simply quit and let a new generation with fresh idea start the show but very unfortunate situation above all I was sad to see fellow black been shot at close range with their eyes tied up by the same rebel force this is unbeleiveable.

Well is too late for anything to be done otherwise now because the fight is no more a little joke anylonger and too late for Gaddafi because the rebel wont back down neither will NATO stop. Above all Libya must be free from Gaddafi he has overstayed damn too long no justification for his too long hold on power.

As for OBJ he is always my man when it come to boldness and strong will OBJ is a real man. Though many dont like him even I fell out with him in some issues but when it comes to a radical decision and turf stand OBJ is my man anyday.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by coolbright: 5:12pm On Sep 01, 2011
@IIKOTECH
Syrian case and Libyan case are totally and clearly two different  situation. The Syrian specifically said they don't want outside intervention. The American were the first to say that Assad has lost the legitimacy and should vacate the sit, while the other leaders kept mute. But what can they do when the people in question clearly said they don't want outside intervention. For Rwanda go and read on what lead to the stop of the genocide, the Americans were very instrumental to that.
Come to think of it, Gaddafi was never an elected president got there through a coup was never the peoples choice; now the people want their voice to be heard.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 01, 2011
@coolbright

The people are saying they need international intervention now and furious it is not coming immediately as requested by them. That's not outside intervention was from Al Assad supporters.

They are even supporting Libyan case. There's the popular slogan that "The Germs in Syria congratulate the Rats in Libya" because Al Assad used to call his people Germs and Gaddafi call his Rats.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by ideylaff: 6:17pm On Sep 01, 2011
I don't really know the reason for the commendation. When the id--t Gadafi was killing is own people neither OBJ nor AU said anything because they are all birds of the same mother fuckers. what can you say about the president that ordered a shot at sight on his own people, a president that is power drunk and curruption breeder; OBJ. The USA support democracy and it's evidence  in their actions and words. They never intervened for Mubarak of Egypt who is one of their strongest ally; were out spoken against the Chinese Government, that owns large part of US credit, even when Hilary came to Nigeria she expressed the truth in the midst of our lunatic senators. Believe it or not If not for USA this world would have seize to exist, because the crazy tyrants in North korean, Iran, zimbabwe and host of others would have used WMD on any perceived enemy. China and Russia always lay back because they don't have anything call human right. Hate them or like them US is exactly what we need to check the maniac leadership

Thank you jare, OBJ still wants to be relevant, travelling all over the place celebrating what sef,

Did he think b4 speaking, 

Where was OBJ when Gaddafi was destroying his very own people,

Where was the toothless African Union,

Tschewwweeeeeew
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by SmoothCrim: 7:09pm On Sep 01, 2011
He is spot on!

Wonderful !!!!
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 01, 2011
Obansanjo should be in prison for his crimes against the Nigeria
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by 1025: 9:23pm On Sep 01, 2011
obj and anyone supporting a man that has ruled a country for 42 years and is not ready to quite is a very big idiot. no wonder he(obasanjo) wanted a third term and a possible life term. he shld be so ashamed of himself for not bringing the much anticipated changes we wanted in nigeria in his 8 uninterrupted yrs as the president of nigeria.
since he is a strong man as some of us believe, why didn't he force himself and stay beyond 2007?
a foolish old man that cannot learn from the likes of mandella.
maybe he is working through jonathan to amend the constitution to accommodate him in the next presidential election.
a man that has no respect within his own immediate family turns out to be the father of a country. no wonder nigeria and nigerians are so useless.
shameless country.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by velo10: 6:37am On Sep 02, 2011
GenBuhari:

Obansanjo should be in prison for his crimes against the Nigeria

Bro, I be Buhari supporter too but your unnecessary posts dey dull me oooo
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Fimmy(m): 7:17am On Sep 02, 2011
WE KEEP SAYING GADAFFI COMMITTED CRIMES AGAINST HIS PEOPLE, PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE CRIME IS?WHEN HE CAME INTO POWER THE COUP WAS BLOODLESS.I BEG WATIN GADAFFI DO O?
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by hollandis(f): 7:58am On Sep 02, 2011
Fimmy:

WE KEEP SAYING GADAFFI COMMITTED CRIMES AGAINST HIS PEOPLE, PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE CRIME IS?WHEN HE CAME INTO POWER THE COUP WAS BLOODLESS.I BEG WATIN GADAFFI DO O?
Because he gives his people 500 dollars monthly,free education,free health care,encouragement for newly married couples by giving them 60,000 dollars.24hrs light,cheap living standard.These are his crime
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Fimmy(m): 8:17am On Sep 02, 2011
hollandis:

Because he gives his people 500 dollars monthly,free education,free health care,encouragement for newly married couples by giving them 60,000 dollars.24hrs light,cheap living standard.These are his crime
CRIME INDEED.maybe we should just swap leaders
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 02, 2011
This why we are in the state we are in Nigeria.

We are listening to the words of a criminal (Obasanjo), that should be locked up for his crimes against our nation.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by nduchucks: 11:13am On Sep 02, 2011
Where was OBJ and his outrage just before NATO invaded Libya? Why did he not 'Slam' NATO when they were still debating whether the invasion should take place?

OBJ knows fully well that his subject are Gullible and made up of Idiots ( to borrow the phrase of the day)
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by velo10: 11:25am On Sep 02, 2011
@nduchucks. you're being unfair if not biased. obj's simply an ex-president. the person who ought to have spoken only spoke thru his Reuben Abati speakerbox when NATO had almost completed their mission

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Judge Threatens To Discharge 24 Suspected Boko Haram Members / Femi Falana Is The New Attorney General Of The Federation / Another Fully Armed Biafran Soldier Spotted This Afternoon (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.